• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just saw that CODEX has done what they do best. What's the precedent for EGS games to have Denuvo removed from them once this happens? This is the first game I've purchased from EGS and honestly don't follow it too closely. What are the odds that Gearbox will remove it now?

Don't even think about asking for more details about the crack, you all know better!

edit: removed EGS being the ones to implement the removal, wasn't thinking straight, my mistake.

Last edited:

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't it proved that Denuvo's effect on performance is negligible? So why do you guys hate it so much?

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Why would you want devs to remove something that makes their game harder to steal?

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Wasn't it proved that Denuvo's effect on performance is negligible? So why do you guys hate it so much?
I don't know if it's ever been proven one way or the other. Seen plenty of examples of the bloat adding extra load time, and then seen others saying it's very negligible. I guess I've seen less instances of it being removed than I thought though. Ah well.

The game still has its hitches and mini freezes and was just hoping something like this maybe could help... at least a little bit.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
People just dont like to have stupid restrictions they have no control over in games they have bought. Even more when Denuvo is one of the annoying kind that requires revalidation every so often (2 weeks I think?)

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. They still have DLC's coming + plus regular patches. Also fun fact, cracked version has no hotfixes for obvious reasons so I guess they don't get hit with all the nerfs which is hilarious lol

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

First of all, Denuvo does have an effect on a game's performance. It depends on how the developer implements it. It could vary from being miniscule to causing severe performance hitches.

Second, people hate it for the same reason people hate any type of DRM service. A lot of old DRM back in the days affected running games on modern hardware and since that DRM wasn't removed, it's a real chore to find a way to run your purchased products...if you could at all. Nobody wants to relive that now with Denuvo being the most popular DRM publishers want to use currently.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I have a hard time believing any thread created there about the game being cracked and removing Denuvo would stay up very long. I was asking here more to find out if they're likely to do it based on the past. As said earlier though, this is more dependent on Gearbox than EGS, that was my mistake.

edit: LOL, well this below has been up for 14 hours so what do I know...

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (3 days): defending piracy over a series of posts
Cool, the only way that should be played until the Steam version.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
No, lol.

Get used to games getting cracked and developers not removing the Denuvo from their games.

Only a handful actually did.

Troll post?
What about what I said comes off as trollish?

It's sad the first thing OP thought about when he discovered that a devs hard work had been stolen was to ask them remove the rest of their security they have in place.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What about what I said comes off as trollish?

It's sad the first thing OP thought about when he discovered that a devs hard work had been stolen was to ask them remove the rest of their security they have in place.

You said.

''Why would you want devs to remove something that makes their game harder to steal? ''

The game is already cracked, meaning it's already stolen and it's out in the wild. There's no more ''security''.

Keeping Denuvo on it only hurts the real customers who actually bought the game.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
You said that people should play the pirated version untill its on steam. so by your own admission, people who are intrested in the game . your not slick , we all see what you are saying .

Oct 25, 2017
No. The best thing we can hope is Steam version not being tainted by it.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
You said.

''Why would you want devs to remove something that makes their game harder to steal? ''

The game is already cracked, meaning it's already stolen and it's out in the wild. There's no more ''security''.

Keeping Denuvo on it only hurts the real customers who actually bought the game.
First of all, it's been proven that Denuvo doesn't hurt anyone so there's no problem with keeping it. You're right it has already been stolen for pirates to download but I don't think that should warrant removing drm and making it even worse.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
First of all, it's been proven that Denuvo doesn't hurt anyone so there's no problem with keeping it. You're right it has already been stolen for pirates to download but I don't think that should warrant removing drm and making it even worse.
I'd love to see this proof. Source would be great please.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I haven't seen anything indicating Denuvo makes Borderlands 3 run poorly. Is there proof that it does?

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
You said that people should play the pirated version untill its on steam. so by your own admission, people who are intrested in the game . your not slick , we all see what you are saying .

Yes and i clap for all those people who doesn't want to buy the EGS version with Denuvo and their shitty practices but wants to try this game until the Steam version.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta hope that they kick off Denuvo at some point. Still fucking mad that Valkyria Chronicles 4 STILL has it.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
What will be worse once the DRM is gone?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Not at all. The exact opposite has been proven on almost every single game with Denuvo on it.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You just call people trolls when you don't like the facts being presented? Very mature. Didn't know this place allowed that.
What facts? Theres factually games that have had performance issues with Denuvo. You're saying none ever have. So prove it. Wheres your facts at?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Gabe said piracy was a service issue, and I mostly agree.

I think Steam did a lot to reduce piracy on PC by keeping things simple, convenient and within a nice ecosystem with solid platform features (controller support, friends lists, achievements etc). The current problem is the fragmentation between launchers and stores with EGS etc makes piracy more attractive to those who would consider it.

It would be interesting to see statistics to understand if EGS exclusives are pirated more than similarly popular games on Steam. Also in relation to the OP, to understand whether - on average - Denuvo protected games see higher sales than those without Denuvo.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
I honestly don't care enough about Denuvo to go back and forth about it. It's just sad that this thread about a game being cracked was allowed. Moral of the story is don't pirate games. Also the info about Denuvo not impacting games is freely available on google, I'm not going to do your job for you.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I just want to see if like the whole review DRM free copies really ran all that much better without the Denuvo . Intrested in seeing a comparison vid .

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw that CODEX has done what they do best. What's the precedent for EGS games to have Denuvo removed from them once this happens? This is the first game I've purchased from EGS and honestly don't follow it too closely.

Don't even think about asking for more details about the crack, you all know better!

Uhh.. What EGS has to do with this? It will depend on the developer (Gearbox) or the publisher (2k), not on Epic. Same happens on Steam, some games on Steam got Denuvo removed when they got cracked, others not. Steam/EGS's job is just to distribute the files the dev provides to them.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I honestly don't care enough about Denuvo to go back and forth about it. It's just sad that this thread about a game being cracked was allowed. Moral of the story is don't pirate games. Also the info about Denuvo not impacting games is freely available on google, I'm not going to do your job for you.
anyone who has ever tried to play an older PC game or tried to modify one that they've bough legally has run into several issues doing so at some point due to drm

the most common advice is generally to download a crack and remove the offending drm

it was created for piracy and yet it somehow it provides a superior service for the customer

drm only punishes the customer with an inferior product

you keep talking about denuvo not impacting performance when it's been proven not to which is false. in the best case it doesn't yes, in the worst implementations it does. period

it's also about just looking more than a year in the future

go back and read any discussion about gfwl and starforce. oh they'll never shut down and make their games a pain in the ass to play. never.

If you want to solve piracy, make the ways to download and obtain games easier and better with fairer prices than just downloading them off a torrent. shockingly it's still not a solution to add more garbage to make your experience worse, and I don't know why we're still having this conversation after like 30 years of very clear evidence for it

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Discussion of this is perfectly fine here, are you new here? Leave the moral suggestions for elsewhere, this is about the mechanics of Denuvo and their impact on the games they're in. You keep saying Denuvo doesn't impact games and have yet to provide any source proving this as you claim. Please provide this or move on.

And I love the suggestion for others to do the work for you, that's not how it works when you make the claim.

Uhh.. What EGS has to do with this? It will depend on the developer (Gearbox) or the publisher (2k), not on Epic. Same happens on Steam, some games on Steam got Denuvo removed when they got cracked, others not. Steam/EGS's job is just to distribute the files the dev provides to them.
Yeah I mentioned earlier that this was an error on my part. Kind of jumped the gun without really thinking about it. Hate it when I do that.