• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still a little confused by this "upgrade system" that games are using.
It's different than just giving it a next-gen patch, correct? It's a second SKU.
So, what about things like the trophy system?
Say I completed the campaign on the PS4, and have like 40% of the trophies. And I bought the DLC.
Now I upgrade for the PS5, and play the DLCs on the PS5, using my PS4 save.
Where do my trophies go? Will they have a separate trophy list just for the PS5, and so I have trophies for one thing on a PS4 list, and trophies for another on the PS5?
On PS5 I'd assume it'll be 2 separate trophy lists. If they use smart delivery for Xbox it'll probably just be one since it'll be the same SKU.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I remember in the OT someone was saying that bank size was limited due to the specs of the consoles.

Maybe that will be bigger for next gen.

I havent played this in awhile, but it is my most played game since it launched.

Guess that puts this on the list of another game I'll chill on playing until next gen consoles launch.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It's different than just giving it a next-gen patch, correct? It's a second SKU.
Say I completed the campaign on the PS4, and have like 40% of the trophies. And I bought the DLC.
Where do my trophies go? Will they have a separate trophy list just for the PS5, and so I have trophies for one thing on a PS4 list, and trophies for another on the PS5?
Honest answer is we don't know. Could be like Vita/PS4 cross paly where they share trophies or they could have seperate lists.

Even if it's the latter, I'd expect a lot of the trophies to unlock automatically when you load your save.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Also borderlands has settings that look identical between high and ultra but performance falls off a cliff.

to people that say it won't look anywhere near ultra, you guys do realize most pc ultra settings are the " don't give a fuck how unoptimized this is, my card can brute force this and it doesn't change the look much setting but that's okay I need settings pushed to max to justify this gpu purchase"
Ahh the age-old "we need needless ultra settings or gamers will complain" dilemma.

Relevant Horizon Zero Dawn image below.

lpr5AIn.png

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
"supporting 4K resolution at 60fps in single-player."

by single player do they just mean not split screen? Or do they mean it won't be 4k 60 when playing co op online?

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Very nice, I got the deluxe version with the season pass and never played any of them yet or finished the main story so I will totally dive into this again after the upgrade.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Did Gearbox mention anything about optimizing the current gen versions? Maybe they should work on that before moving on to next gen. Ive had some janky ass performance and hard crashes with BL3 on my X1X and I've stopped playing because of it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Good news, hopefully it will get rid of the loading times and the pop in. So it's basically the framerate and graphics option on at the same time.

Hopefully they will use all the Duelsence features.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm probably one of the few people who's really really happy about four player split screen being added. This and Dirt 5 is giving me so much hope that four player split screen is making a comeback this gen. Guess the CPU's last gen really held this back.

I'm just disappointed two player split screen won't be 60 as well, hoping at the least it may just be 60 with some minor drops or something and they haven't locked it down to 30. Feel that'd be extreme if it can manage four player split screen.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If I could play with my xbox friends I would be so happy. I have several friends who love BL but some of us have PS and some of us have Xbox

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
Anyone know if the Series S is getting its own update as well or will it be running the XB1 version?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
ok how the hell are they gonna do that when you cant hit 4k 60 on a 2080 super without severely lowering the settings?

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Big doubt. Borderlands 3 runs like shit, not a chance it sustains 60 FPS at 4K.

Agreed. I am betting that on Series X it will be checkerboarded up from 1800 or thereabouts to dynamic 4k and 60fps. The PS5 should be close to that but will probably checkerboard up from 1440 to maybe dynamic 1800. If they bother to do a Series S upgrade, I am guessing dynamic dynamic 1080P 60/fps.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Both four player split-screen co-op and the option to do vertical spilt in two player is enough for me to want to support this. I love local co-op.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Maybe 505 needs to reach out to these developers to see how to bypass some stoppers or whatever bullshit they are trying to say to not give Deluxe Edition users our free upgrade.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Lol BL3 struggles to hit a consistent 4K60 on the 3080 and runs like shit on most other setups but ok. There should be a next-gen SKU with all the DLCs or something now that they're out.
That's at max settings.
It doesn't need to run at max settings on consoles, it just needs to run at console settings. Turning down volumetrics and materials to medium (the latter of which has no seeming impact on visuals) alone provides like a 50% boost to framerate at 4K, an additional 10% when turning SSR to medium. The PC code is also seemingly less optimised than console. Those settings would easily let a 2080 run at 4K/60, so it should be possible for consoles too where he code is supposedly more optimised

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Also borderlands has settings that look identical between high and ultra but performance falls off a cliff.

to people that say it won't look anywhere near ultra, you guys do realize most pc ultra settings are the " don't give a fuck how unoptimized this is, my card can brute force this and it doesn't change the look much setting but that's okay I need settings pushed to max to justify this gpu purchase"
Yep, pretty much, I hardly play on Ultra settings, I mostly do High and some Medium. I care more about the framerate.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I hope cross-play also means cross-save. If so, I'll continue my playthrough on PC. Console performance is horrible.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
This is actually (and my god the hypocrisy as I don't even particularly love BL3) another mark in the column in the "get a XSX and PS5 and not upgrade to a 3080" for me - own this and have played through half of it or so on the X1X on a few characters. Got annoyed at the performance issue but tried to restart on PC and lost all steam for that.

4K60 (probably like 1440p for multiplayer?) locked in the next gen upgrade? That sounds a lot better than having to optimze 12 settings on the 3080 and my CPU to hopefully get the same performance. I would actually go back and finish this and play the DLC if this is true.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
That's at max settings.
It doesn't need to run at max settings on consoles, it just needs to run at console settings. Turning down volumetrics and materials to medium (the latter of which has no seeming impact on visuals) alone provides like a 50% boost to framerate at 4K, an additional 10% when turning SSR to medium. The PC code is also seemingly less optimised than console. Those settings would easily let a 2080 run at 4K/60, so it should be possible for consoles too where he code is supposedly more optimised

This. Both settings make no sense at all, they could very well remove them and no one would notice the diference.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
Fantastic that it'll be at launch. My financee and I dropped it on current gen (split screen) because of how badly it ran and how hard it was just to read the screen.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Been saving the 4th DLC for this patch. Tried to play it on the 4k/30 FPS mode on my One X but felt awful. Looking forward to some 4k/60 goodness.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
On Xbox it's probably the same SKU (smart delivery)

On PS5 who the fuck knows lol