• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 31, 2018
It really does seem like they implemented a lot of the small stuff fans always wanted. Can't wait to play it about a year from now.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still wary about character customization. Seeing just "skins" listed has me unsure whether we're getting Overwatch-style outfits or BL2-style palette swaps.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It makes me wonder where the money for exclusivity actually goes.

The assumption I've always made is: Epic's moneyhatting is the equivalent of the game selling a large, set number of units on Steam and benefits the entire company, but not consumers.

I'm starting to wonder if it's actually: Epic's money goes straight to the executives, who are okay with the game selling less overall because of receiving a massive bribe that they don't need to share.

Do we know which of these (if either) is true?
Few things to pick at here.

1. There's no world in which the money for any deal goes straight into the executive's pocket.

2. Even if it just goes to the publishers, that's still beneficial for the developer. Publishing arrangements can range from the publisher effectively funding the entirety of development to just handing non-development duties like support, marketing, and sales. Either way, if the publisher gets cash in hand for a deal, it makes that publisher more likely to work with the developer that made the product. Ultimately in these situations the publisher takes a risk in finding the project and it's up to them how they want to maximize their return from that investment.

Jan 4, 2018
The editions don't mention anything about DLC Vault Hunters. I wonder if they'll be included in the season pass and are just a surprise for now, if they'll be separate purchases regardless of which version you get, or if they're just straight up not doing them. How did Borderlands 2 handle Gaige and Krieg?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this 60 dollars?? 2k gets a truck load of money from Epic, 88 percent share and can't even offer a slight discount?

I probably could have bought a steam key for 47.99 already from green man gaming.

Well at least egs is good for one thing. Definitely no reason to pre order games anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
So why did they not announce all of this last week? And I don't see a problem with it being on Epic Game store, but then again I don't mind all the different launchers.

Either way I am excited to replay 1 and 2 before September. Is the Pre-Sequel worth checking out?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
XZ18RKo.png

Is EGS broken or something? I've been stuck on this page for an hour already. I want to check how much is it in my local currency.

They updated store this week to block buying if you block tracking scripts.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still wary about character customization. Seeing just "skins" listed has me unsure whether we're getting Overwatch-style outfits or BL2-style palette swaps.

I can't see them not upping the customization significantly. Even BL2 has a few different outfits and heads for each character. No way they won't expand on that.

The editions don't mention anything about DLC Vault Hunters. I wonder if they'll be included in the season pass and are just a surprise for now, if they'll be separate purchases regardless of which version you get, or if they're just straight up not doing them. How did Borderlands 2 handle Gaige and Krieg?

It will be a separate purchase. 100 percent. Gaige was a pre-order bonus then $10. Krieg was $10. Neither were a part of the season pass. They told us exactly what is in the season pass already.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
So why did they not announce all of this last week? And I don't see a problem with it being on Epic Game store, but then again I don't mind all the different launchers.

Either way I am excited to replay 1 and 2 before September. Is the Pre-Sequel worth checking out?
Crowd would have eaten them alive there, just ONE mention of EPIC and crowd booed. Don't you guys have phones, launchers versions, would have been.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
To be honest when its an Unreal Engine game, I'm really starting to see the developer's motivations in going with EGS.

88% vs 65%. It's almost a matter of fiduciary responsibility at this point.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Gaige was a pre-order bonus and became a seperate purchase I think a couple months later. Krieg was a seperate purchase too meaning both were not a part of the season pass.

The season pass for Borderlands 2 was still well worth it but not having them including on it didn't feel good. I hope Gearbox doesn't make the same mistake.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Just get Valve to announce half life 3 and pitchford will try to get bl3 released earlier on Steam lol.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest when its an Unreal Engine game, I'm really starting to see the developer's motivations in going with EGS.

88% vs 65%. It's almost a matter of fiduciary responsibility at this point.

Yeah a massive bag of cash upfront is the ONLY reason. It has absolutely nothing to do with the revenue split.

Oct 27, 2017
Crowd would have eaten them alive there, just ONE mention of EPIC and crowd booed. Don't you guys have phones, launchers versions, would have been.

I guess I don't get it due to being uninformed about the dislike towards the Epic Game Store, but I understand trying to save face due to the hardcore feelings toward the subject.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'd say yes, but I know a lot of people disliked it

It does enough new to be worthwhile in my opinion, and it's more Borderlands, same gameplay loop, same humour, same loot

People like to moan about the oxygen limit and gravity jumping but the levels have a great sense of verticality because of that and you rarely run out of oxygen anyway

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Damn. The collectors edition are exclusive to GameStop? Fuck. I guess I'll just get standard on Amazon now.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Wait, I thought today was the gameplay reveal? How many announcement trailers are we going to get for this game?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Gv0KUK9.png

That's a deal that people wouldn't be able to resist.
there was a similar thing in BL2 pre-orders, it actually made it more difficult for legendaries to drop because it made more "rare" quality weapons drop instead iirc. the xp boost also wasn't worthwhile once you had a higher level mod that was better suited for your build.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
How are these drive-by posts not against the spirit of the staff post in this thread?
"It is perfectly acceptable to want to wait for a game to be released on the storefront of your preference (ex: "I'll just wait for the Steam release.") It is not acceptable to troll threads because of storefront exclusivity timed or otherwise (ex: "So the real PC release is going to be a year later.") The latter is needlessly inflammatory and distracts from discussion. We will be scrutinizing these posts more closely going forward."

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
May end up getting it on PS4 instead of PC. Wish they'd put out a trailer going into the characters and weapons like they did with 2 and Pre-Sequel.

Gameplay reveal is coming next month (May 1st) so I guess they are going to try to reveal everything over the time. I guess we will have to wait for awhile to see characters' abilities and skill trees.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this 60 dollars?? 2k gets a truck load of money from Epic, 88 percent share and can't even offer a slight discount?

I probably could have bought a steam key for 47.99 already from green man gaming.

Well at least egs is good for one thing. Definitely no reason to pre order games anymore.

It's funny if anyone even Epics owner thought a company would offer games for less over just pocketing more money.

You are never going to get "a deal" on Epic. Epic offers the consumer absolutely nothing. Heck feature wise the consumer gets less (then from steam).

The ONLY reason to use Epic is because they have a game you want and can't wait for or because you just don't want to use steam.

And again, you will never get some special lower price on Epic. Game companies want money. They getting more of a cut from Epic while charging you full price gives them just that. And if anyone or Epic owner thinks different, I have a bridge to sell you.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What he said. Also I'm disheartened to see people yet again touting that "Valve nwill maybe finally react and change their shit". What planet are you living on where moneyhatting incentivize improving on features? It encourages moving away from them to just chuck out bags of cash and taking the market down with it. Isn't EGS example enough of a store's features look like when you focus on this tactic.
Because
Epic is your god now, bow down mortals.
Fortnite and Chinese money rules all of us now.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

Who is this person and how would they know? The legendary thing is speculation, it looks large cause it's close to the camera and there's an item behind it. a sound effect like in Diablo would be a nice addition though.

Collector's edition is GameStop exclusive.
Damn. The collectors edition are exclusive to GameStop? Fuck. I guess I'll just get standard on Amazon now.
It was also available on the 2K store but it looks like it sold out.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
6 or 12 months doesn't make any difference for me. I won't support any games involved in store exclusivity deals on pc. I want this disgusting strategy to die asap.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Who is this person and how would they know? The legendary thing is speculation, it looks large cause it's close to the camera and there's an item behind it. a sound effect like in Diablo would be a nice addition though.

It was also available on the 2K store but it looks like it sold out.
He's an offical borderlands partner

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 months is enough for the initial sales, but also is not high enough to quite a few ppl to simply just wait. It kind of diminishes the effect of the exclusivity..

I wonder what happened: was 2K asking to much money for the whole year? Or they were reticent to give Epic a full year exclusivity?

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
My friends and I are so in, we loved BL2. But none of us are excited about EGS so we're willing to wait for Steam.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I'd be willing to have this be my Stadia test game. I'll just need to get a controller though. Of course I have no idea if they're interested in putting it out on Stadia or if their exclusivity deal includes or excludes things like Stadia.

My reasoning is that I have a Switch and a PC running Ubuntu. I will not buy an XBOX or PS4, or Dual Boot for one game.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm heavily leaning towards FL4K right now but I need to see more. I need to hear voices for all of the characters, additional hairstyle/head options, and gameplay of course. But FL4K looks like a mix of Mordecai and Zer0 which were my mains in the first two games.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I would have gotten the collectors edition or whatever the equivalent is, but now im going to wait 6 months. Fuck...

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Yeah a massive bag of cash upfront is the ONLY reason. It has absolutely nothing to do with the revenue split.

The cut Valve would take for BL3 would be 20%, not 30%, and that's ONLY on copies sold directly through Steam. A ton of sales of bigger games (at least 1/3) are on outside retailers where Valve gets no money.