• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It was pretty good. I don't think it was as funny as the first. You lose a little of the originality here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
This is easily one of the best comedy sequels of all time. It's not as good as the first (mostly because the chemistry between Azamat and Borat is better than the daughter) but damn it's still really good.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad SBC got some Facebook/Holocaust denial storyline in there. He's been very vocal about how terrible Facebook is.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Jeanise is the sweetest person on the planet. I want to give her a hug.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Really funny, some jaw dropping hilarious moments but also aa bit of kinda goofy unconnected bits. The Guiliani stuff felt a bit blown out of proportion, he was definitely creepy AF but I think the media and the movie PR people gave it a spin that didn't really play out the way it was spun.

I do wonder about the Jeanise stuff, while it was the nicest and warmest parts of the movie it also seems like it setup some really pivotal moments for the movie, wonder if it was staged (hired actress) or actual candid camera. Everything else from the ball, quarantine, stores, etc felt very genuine and crazy/funny/cringe/scary like the first movie.

The after show is pretty awesome, just tons of people dancing on Zoom along with Borat and Tutar. Its heart warming and cool.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of the CPAC scene. Jeeeeesus christ.

Musubi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how they dont break character during some of these scenes.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. It's not as good as the original but it's still pretty awesome. The father/daughter dance sequence was so gross and so funny at the same time. I love all of the little jokes and jabs at Trump they tucked into the movie too. That fucking cartoon! It actually ended up being kind of a sweet film. I'll be watching it again with the wife soon.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Also finished watching. I think back to the first movie and when it came out, I was a teenager and it was such a unique experience at the time, and I think my mindset was a lot different vs. today.

Now, watching Borat 2, it's not as shocking as the first one, but there's some catharsis to it with it touching on the elections, COVID-19, even tying shit up to Facebook and Holocaust denial. The moment Borat hits American soil, it's like having this out-of-body experience and just experiencing it all in real time again. Then the ending just throws you back at your seat and you're reminded that you actually just watched a movie.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Are those two guys he stays with when he finds out about lockdown ( it's in the trailer! Not a spoiler) actors because.. the loyalty and the genuine friendship sincerity they develop for him... wow

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought the scripted narrative of it all was better than the "gotcha" moments. And I loved, loved, loved the big reveal and the homage ending.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Shit. I had that alt-right gathering song stuck in my head for weeks after it hit youtube months ago. I forgot about it until it popped up in this.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I wasn't completely sold on it but the end was very good

And wow the trailer shows way too much, glad I didn't see it before I watched the movie

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
Absolutely loved it. The highs aren't quite as high as the first film but that was to be expected. Best film of the year easy.

Part of the movie was filmed ten minutes away from me in Newnan, Georgia. I've driven past the place where he uses the fax machine literally hundreds of times.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was great. Loved the end.

r5GVXws.gif

Musubi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. Holy shit. That was worth the watch.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
ummm
what you weren't bothered by the Holocaust jokes
I think you're being selective about the context there. Cohen is outspoken about Holocaust awareness and condemned Facebook's fake news and conspiracy problems in the past. The woman he meets in the synagogue is a real Holocaust survivor and one of the only people that Cohen ever revealed his true identity to before shooting. You can reportedly also hear her full, unedited account of the Holocaust on some supplementary menu on Prime. The film is also dedicated to her.

The Holocaust jokes are obviously shockingly offensive but the point there is to illustrate some of the absurd and vile beliefs that some people actually hold, people like those that run Holocaust denial accounts on Facebook, for example. By including a Holocaust survivor in the film and giving her story a platform, he's not taking cheap shots with shock humor, he's highlighting the real horror of the Holocaust and giving a voice to a survivor of it.

The shooting joke, however, has no context behind it other than "a shooting happened in a synagogue" which is just tacky and gross and completely runs afoul of the great work Cohen is known for doing by upending the harmful rhetoric of the types of people he parodies and pranks with his work. Does it entirely diminish the film? That's more of a personal thing that depends on your barometer for taste. For me, it was a bit bitter and definitely made me side-eye the film for a minute but like I said, giving a Holocaust survivor a platform for her story and setting a rather sweet (if conventionally "Borat" in nature) scene around her was a great touch.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're being selective about the context there. Cohen is outspoken about Holocaust awareness and condemned Facebook's fake news and conspiracy problems in the past. The woman he meets in the synagogue is a real Holocaust survivor and one of the only people that Cohen ever revealed his true identity to before shooting. You can reportedly also hear her full, unedited account of the Holocaust on some supplementary menu on Prime. The film is is also dedicated to her.

The Holocaust jokes are obviously shockingly offensive but the point there is to illustrate some of the absurd and vile beliefs that some people actually hold, people like those that run Holocaust denial accounts on Facebook, for example. By including a Holocaust survivor in the film and giving her story a platform, he's not taking cheap shots with shock humor, he's highlighting the real horror of the Holocaust and giving a voice to a survivor of it.

The shooting joke, however, has no context behind it other than "a shooting happened in a synagogue" which is just tacky and gross and completely runs afoul of the great work Cohen is known for doing by upending the harmful rhetoric of the types of people he parodies and pranks with his work.
I still highly disagree and I'll leave it at that

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's honestly probably the best sequel they could have done in 2020.

Not as funny as the first but that's okay, the movie does what it sets out to do and I enjoyed it.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This movie is absolutely brilliant! I'm not talking about the humor which was on point but the way it exposes America and is tied directly to the now. I'm not sure I've seen anything like it. Cohen really has the political one two punch with this and The Trial of the Chicago 7 premiering when they are.