• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

1*rXy8-NplLdH0OgwXRQq-Tg.gif

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Power Stone came out for Dreamcast in Japan of February 1999. The arcade release was certainly earlier, probably January at the latest?

but idk man, I've always thought the comparisons between the two were weak

Agreed. Basically they were two item/weapon heavy fighting games where you can mash it out and have fun (at least that was true at the time). I feel like the pro scene has led people to forget that Smash originally both had a rep for being something of a party game and that was also kind of the original intention which I believe to have also been the case for a Power Stone.

Also people talk like the idea of Power Stone being more popular than Smash 64 is unheard of but I can promise you the launch of the Dreamcast was a far bigger event than the launch of the first Smash and Power Stone was there on day 1 along with a demo of it on the demo disc packed with every Dreamcast. No doubt Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur were the biggest two launch day releases but there's little doubt that a lot of people on 9-9-99 and beyond played Power Stone. If you told me more people in the world played Power Stone than the first Smash I would probably believe you, which isn't me saying one game is better than the other but rather I'm just illustrating the somewhat humble beginnings of Smash really.

Also, perhaps explaining why so many people called Smash a Power Stone clone, I feel like a lot of people came to the first Smash late? I can really only base this on anecdotal evidence but by the time a lot of my N64 owning friends and family had bought Smash I had already owned Power Stone 2 which would've been pretty deep into the year 2000 or even early 2001.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I definitely do remember hearing multiple time over the years people calling Smash a "Power Stone clone". It's literally the only context in which I've ever heard of Power Stone, a game I've never looked into, couldn't tell you anything about, and just in this thread learned what platform it's on.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh I don't think this was a popular opinion or even like a vocal minority or something. You probably just talked to people who didnt know Smash existed before Melee.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely do remember hearing multiple time over the years people calling Smash a "Power Stone clone". It's literally the only context in which I've ever heard of Power Stone, a game I've never looked into, couldn't tell you anything about, and just in this thread learned what platform it's on.

I've heard comparisons to Power Stone but never heard that Power Stone was somehow the original. Granted my online forums in the last 15 years has only been GAF and then here and, well...you see what happens when you post that here. I'm sure people have said it somewhere though. Hell, people thought Luigi was in SM64 🤷🏾‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've heard comparisons to Power Stone but never heard that Power Stone was somehow the original. Granted my online forums in the last 15 years has only been GAF and then here and, well...you see what happens when you post that here. I'm sure people have said it somewhere though. Hell, people thought Luigi was in SM64 🤷🏾‍♂️
It was definitely here or GAF, for what it's worth. Largely from people dismissing Smash as anything noteworthy. "It's a Power Stone clone with Nintendo characters"

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not widespread or anything, but I have definitely heard this before i.e. about Power Stone being "Smash before Smash".

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
It was definitely here or GAF, for what it's worth. Largely from people dismissing Smash as anything noteworthy. "It's a Power Stone clone with Nintendo characters"

I'm assuming they were instantly set straight? It's just such an odd thing to say about something that's ridiculously popular and easy to debunk, especially on an enthusiast forum. I've never heard it at either place but it sounds hilarious.

OP
OP
Harken Raiser

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
While it's possible that you may have heard someone mistakenly think that Power Stone predates Smash Bros, it's probably more likely (based on replies in this thread) that I have just drawn you deep into my web of lies and deception. Because we all know that different people can't have different life experiences.

Uhhh I don't think this was a popular opinion or even like a vocal minority or something. You probably just talked to people who didnt know Smash existed before Melee.
Yeah, I think that's the correct conclusion to draw from this thread.

Besides Restera and Gaf, I grew up posting on the Gamespot forums, the GameFAQs, various other gaming news sites and the gaming sections of non-gaming focused forums - I was an avid forum goer large and small. Between the release of Power Stone and today, that's 21 years worth of forum threads where I could have picked up incorrect information.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

yeah, I think a lot of people came to the first Smash late. Anecdotally I feel like I remember way more discussions about Power Stone on Internet forums than I do the first Smash. I don't think people appreciate now what a weird thing Smash was at the time. Not only was it a fighting game from Nintendo (KI was very much a Rare thing) but it was a fighting game where Mario could punch Pikachu In the face. Basically I think a lot of people just didn't really know what to make of Smash initially so they called it a Power Stone clone because the game was weird, multiplayer and picking up weapons or items in the stage was a major focus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harken Raiser

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming they were instantly set straight? It's just such an odd thing to say about something that's ridiculously popular and easy to debunk, especially on an enthusiast forum. I've never heard it at either place but it sounds hilarious.
To the best of my recollection, the times I remember seeing people claim that Power Stone predated Smash, I don't remember if anyone responded to them to correct them. This isn't information that I in any way archived or even thought of as notable at the time, it's just that seeing the actual release date of Power Stone jogged my memory of seeing these claims sometime in the past more than once.

yeah, I think a lot of people came to the first Smash late. Anecdotally I feel like I remember way more discussions about Power Stone on Internet forums than I do the first Smash. I don't think people appreciate now what a weird thing Smash was at the time. Not only was it a fighting game from Nintendo (KI was very much a Rare thing) but it was a fighting game where Mario could punch Pikachu In the face. Basically I think a lot of people just didn't really know what to make of Smash initially so they called it a Power Stone clone.
Me and my friends played the first Smash, but it was just a novelty party game to us. We didn't dedicate serious time into the series until Melee, so it wouldn't surprise me if the first one didn't leave much impact on people, and I would guess that I didn't see any Power Stone comparisons until sometime after Melee released.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
yeah, I think a lot of people came to the first Smash late. Anecdotally I feel like I remember way more discussions about Power Stone on Internet forums than I do the first Smash. I don't think people appreciate now what a weird thing Smash was at the time. Not only was it a fighting game from Nintendo (KI was very much a Rare thing) but it was a fighting game where Mario could punch Pikachu In the face. Basically I think a lot of people just didn't really know what to make of Smash initially so they called it a Power Stone clone.

I remember gaming magazines at the time giving more focus to Mario Party than Smash. I was really hyped by the idea of a Nintendo crossover as soon as I saw the first pictures, but somehow Link fighting Mario didn't seem to attract much attention before the game actually launched. This was right after OoT and around the peak of the Pokemania so the way Smash was initially sidelined just seemed weird to me.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Power Stone plays nothing like Smash. They are both party centric fighting games, but that's it. Hell, Power Stone is a fully 3D fighter and Smash is entirely 2D (in terms of gameplay, not visuals).

People might have said they prefer Power Stone, but I highly doubt anyone told you that Power Stone came out significantly before Smash. They were concurrent with each other.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
For the claims that Smash and Power Stone are nothing alike, I don't find the comparison to be that outlandish, especially if we're talking about Power Stone 2. 4 players, simplified attack scheme relative other fighters, bunches of random items and stage hazards... I mean, the broad strokes are there.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Basically they were two item/weapon heavy fighting games where you can mash it out and have fun (at least that was true at the time). I feel like the pro scene has led people to forget that Smash originally both had a rep for being something of a party game and that was also kind of the original intention which I believe to have also been the case for a Power Stone.

Also people talk like the idea of Power Stone being more popular than Smash 64 is unheard of but I can promise you the launch of the Dreamcast was a far bigger event than the launch of the first Smash and Power Stone was there on day 1 along with a demo of it on the demo disc packed with every Dreamcast. No doubt Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur were the biggest two launch day releases but there's little doubt that a lot of people on 9-9-99 and beyond played Power Stone. If you told me more people in the world played Power Stone than the first Smash I would probably believe you, which isn't me saying one game is better than the other but rather I'm just illustrating the somewhat humble beginnings of Smash really.

Also, perhaps explaining why so many people called Smash a Power Stone clone, I feel like a lot of people came to the first Smash late? I can really only base this on anecdotal evidence but by the time a lot of my N64 owning friends and family had bought Smash I had already owned Power Stone 2 which would've been pretty deep into the year 2000 or even early 2001.
I don't think this is representative, my first experience with Smash 64 was on a kiosk set up in a mall in 1999, and this wasn't a Gamestop either but just a department store like Nordstroms. Smash was already big by then, my friends at school were all talking about it, and I got the game not long after.

They didn't set up mall kiosks with unknown, unpopular games and kids didn't crowd around games that weren't already popular. Power Stone would've been a 'literally who?' moment for me at the time, and I only knew one family with a Dreamcast. Of course, I know NOW that the Dreamcast was fairly popular in that 3 year period, but not nearly as popular as the N64, the sales bear that out too. I'm quite confident Smash 64 outsold Power Stone by a significant margin.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Power Stone is a fine game and now that I've posted in this thread we've probably got everyone who cares about it present.

It's not even in the same galaxy as Smash, and I say that as someone who doesn't play Smash.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the claims that Smash and Power Stone are nothing alike, I don't find the comparison to be that outlandish, especially if we're talking about Power Stone 2. 4 players, simplified attack scheme relative other fighters, bunches of random items and stage hazards... I mean, the broad strokes are there.
Pretty sure this thread is about Power Stone 1 though, which is not very similar to Smash at all. I mean they are both party-centric fighting games, but they play almost nothing alike.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
People compared Power Stone 1 to Smash a bit at the time, but Power Stone 1 wasn't that big a deal from what I remember. It was a kinda neat game that got overshadowed in North America by Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, and the first 2K sports games. Smash 64 on the other hand was immediately a hit, to the point where even PlayStation fanboys I knew admitted Smash was one good reason to own an N64.

Power Stone 2 though was the shit. I never personally met anyone else who played it a lot but I definitely thought it was better than Smash 64. Not Melee though.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I'm here just because I wanted to check if there's some The Outfoxies references somewhere.

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Harken Raiser

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
People might have said they prefer Power Stone, but I highly doubt anyone told you that Power Stone came out significantly before Smash. They were concurrent with each other.
I don't need anyone to believe me, but I hope you can understand that I find these kinds of statements an odd response. Maybe you socialize with people smarter than I do, or who are more diligent fact checkers, but I hear incorrect information from other people... near constantly? Why is this specific incorrect information exceptional while other mistakes aren't? Like in Captain Marvel, there's the scene where she remembers playing Street Fighter II: Champion Edition and it's been pointed out that the timeline of when she went to space and when Champion don't line up, but I didn't know that at the time and just accepted it, and it wasn't until later that I saw people explain the inconsistency - is that scenario also hard to believe? Because I don't understand what this kind of response is supposed to mean.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Thank you for playing Powerstone, it deserves so much more than capcom has done for it. the more that play it the better, personally 2 is my favorite.
Edit:Got excited and assumed you played it. Did ya?

OP
OP
Harken Raiser

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but not in a way that's constructive. Just critiquing you're crappy title
The point of my title was to ephasise how wrong I was about Power Stone. When you take in combination with the body of my post you see that I thought Power Stone was some older game of a bygone generation and therefore anyone who played it must also be older. Ironically, though, it turns out that the game came out during my childhood at roughly the same time as Smash Bros, so I ended up being wrong about both the game and the people who played it.

But also, you don't need to have a constructive response, I tried to signal at the end of the OP that this is a thread meant to invite funny responses.

A reply about your dumb title. What do people born in the 40s and 50s have to do with a game that came out in like 2000?
Yeah, that's the joke of the title. Why would I think that actual baby boomers were playing Dreamcast games? Its hyperbole.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
The point of my title was to ephasise how wrong I was about Power Stone. When you take in combination with the body of my post you see that I though Power Stone was some older game of a bygone generation and therefore anyone who played it must also be older. Ironically, though, it turns out that the game came out during my childhood at roughly the same time as Smash Bros, so I ended up being wrong about both the game and the people who played it.

But also, you don't need to have a constructive response, I tried to signal at the end of the OP that this is a thread for funny responses.
Then why sully that thoughtful post with clickbate terms then

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
While it's possible that you may have heard someone mistakenly think that Power Stone predates Smash Bros, it's probably more likely (based on replies in this thread) that I have just drawn you deep into my web of lies and deception. Because we all know that different people can't have different life experiences.

Yeah, I think that's the correct conclusion to draw from this thread.

Besides Restera and Gaf, I grew up posting on the Gamespot forums, the GameFAQs, various other gaming news sites and the gaming sections of non-gaming focused forums - I was an avid forum goer large and small. Between the release of Power Stone and today, that's 21 years worth of forum threads where I could have picked up incorrect information.

Oh I totally believe you read that. But hearing it enough to feel like, "Hey, these guys bamboozled me!" is kind of blowing my mind. The internet is so weird lol.

OP
OP
Harken Raiser

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
Then why sully that thoughtful post with clickbate terms then
Because it's not that thoughtful, it's meant to be funny story at my expense, lol.

The final paragraph of my OP is meant to be the real prompt of the thread, for people to post things that are "mind blowing" to people who might not know about them:

What other earth shattering discovery will I make next that shakes me to my very core? I someone going to tell me that Half-Life predates Quake, or that Hearthstone invented card games? Please feel free to discuss.

Which leads to responses like these:

Which become humorous when juxtaposed to my prior statement: "What other earth shattering discovery will I make next that shakes me to my very core?"

Last edited:

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Reminder that Capcom released a collection of this multiplayer-centric series on PSP of all systems and proceeded to shelve the series forever.

OP
OP
Harken Raiser

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've seen more competitive Shrek SuperSlam tournaments than I've ever seen Powerstone tournaments.