• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
250px-Mega_Man_X_Boomer_Kuwanger_Title.png

"Seriously, what the fuck is a Kuwanger?"

maxresdefault.jpg

(Extra big image for an extra big boss)

In Japanese, all of the Mavericks - or Irregulars, as they're called over there in that strange land to the east - have stylized named like Icy Penguigo instead of Chill Penguin, or Burnin' Noumander (that's Burnin', not Burning) instead of Flame Mammoth. The real translation of Boomer Kuwanger should have been, going in line with the rest of the localization, Sonic Beetle, or Boomerang Beetle, or something along those lines. But no, they kept this one guy's name untranslated for no reason.

For YEARS I wondered what a Kuwanger was.

What are some other examples of weird translations, where you thought something felt weird or off?

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
It's a stag beetle. Japan combined the japanese word with beetle which confused the localizers

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Safer Sephiroth is an odd one, since it makes him sound kinda weak. IIRC it should be something like Sefer Sephiroth, Seraph Sephiroth, or Savior Sephiroth.

Also Castlevania 2 in general seems rife with weird translations

BeO9ESrIAAATNrA.png

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Then the localization for X6 was so lazy they just kept the Japanese names altogether.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Safer Sephiroth is an odd one, since it makes him sound kinda weak. IIRC it should be something like Sefer Sephiroth, Seraph Sephiroth, or Savior Sephiroth.

Also Castlevania 2 in general seems rife with weird translations

BeO9ESrIAAATNrA.png
Even if Deborah Cliff is a place and not a person. It still doesn't make any sense

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
X5's Guns & Roses names were mostly dumb, but I'll go to bat to the bitter fuckin' end for Duff McWhalen.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Guns n Roses names forever, ruined it in the collection.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
X5's names were trash and I'm glad they were changed. Get this shitty band out of Megaman.

May 13, 2019
Random trivia: MMX3's Gravity Beetle was Boomer Kuwanger's brother. It is heavily implied that Beetle wasn't infected by the Doppler Virus. He just joined the rebellion by his own volition to try and avenge Boomer's death at the hands of X.

The Kuwanger mystery was solved but...wtf is a Mijinon(X6)?

From the wiki:

Because his species is not tremendously outwardly obvious to the casual observer or player, Infinity Mijinion is considered one of the most confusing Mavericks in the Mega Man X series. Mijinion is in fact a daphnia, a type of water flea; and the name Mijinion is derived from the Japanese word "mijinko", which means daphnia.

Last edited:

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
My thought is that since Kuwanger has that "ang" sound in the middle, putting Boomer in front of it let them still get the "Boomer-ang" sound overall? They liked that as an option better than Boomerang Beetle, perhaps?

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Random trivia: MMX3's Gravity Beetle was Boomer Kuwanger's brother. It is heavily implied that Beetle wasn't infected by the Doppler Virus. He just joined the rebellion by his own volition to try and avenge Boomer's death at the hands of X.
Thats one neat thing of the X series, sometimes they brand someone as "maverick" just because they oppose the protagonists, thats why X4 is one of my favorites because half of the bosses are just repliforce dudes and arent infected.

Thanks, if only they translated they as Infinity Daphnia...

May 13, 2019
Nothing beats Tornado Tonion for the dumbest Mega Man X maverick name.
"Tornado Tonion the robot onion" rolls off the tongue.

Thats one neat thing of the X series, sometimes they brand someone as "maverick" just because they oppose the protagonists, thats why X4 is one of my favorites because half of the bosses are just repliforce dudes and arent infected.
Another example is Volt Kraken from MMX5 who was an acquaintance of MMX's Launch Octopus. X even apologies to him for destroying Octopus and Kraken understands it was inevitable after Octopus went maverick. Too bad that Kraken also got infected and had to be destroyed as well.

Thanks, if only they translated they as Infinity Daphnia...
We'd probably have people wondered wtf is a Daphnia.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
They very well could've called him Boomer Wang given the root word they were working with overseas.
Just remember that. He could've been even worse.