• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
AF6d2IM.jpg

wow miss duncan is awesome, wish i had a history teacher that corrected all the garbage in current school textbooks
isensee-textbook2_wide-fd0431a45391eb0b23a6e0a88855e5b5e9475539.jpg

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying this text book is a good one? I've been curious to find what was taught when I was a kid and think about it with new eyes. I think it was something along the lines of "slaves are a thing."
Its good in the sense that it continues to show Republican's projection since the textbook its from is used in Texas

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Elon Musk's kid still in school 30 years from now?

edit: also, did anyone have to memorise pi to that many decimal places at school? Like, what use would that serve in 1950? You gonna do mental arithmetic with that?
I bet if I walked around my office right now and asked all the boomers to tell me even 5 digits of pi they couldn't do it.

Sidestory: Once in a single afternoon at my dad's shop, I memorized everything the windows calculator would show me in a bet with my dad to buy me donuts later that day. I never forgot it. 3.1415926535897932384626433832795

This was in the 90s and he had no internet, tv or radio in his shop. The only thing outside was a gas station, so I only had MS Paint and Calculator to entertain myself all afternoon.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of weird because the pi memorization thing has always been kind of a racist stereotype about Asians (mainly Indians), like Apu in the Simpsons. It's never really been framed as some amazing, useful piece of knowledge.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
The last 3 are stupid, the first one is genuinely offensive

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I bet if I walked around my office right now and asked all the boomers to tell me even 5 digits of pi they couldn't do it.

Sidestory: Once in a single afternoon at my dad's shop, I memorized everything the windows calculator would show me in a bet with my dad to buy me donuts later that day. I never forgot it. 3.1415926535897932384626433832795

This was in the 90s and he had no internet, tv or radio in his shop. The only thing outside was a gas station, so I only had MS Paint and Calculator to entertain myself all afternoon.
Did he delete minesweeper and solitaire?

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
That "are we there yet" comic is baffling. If you told any parent, going back to the first time humans took a ride on some kind of vehicle for more than an hour, that there was a way to keep their kids quiet and happy without constantly asking questions, they would be thrilled at the opportunity.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
how is the dad still at home if his kid is at kindergarten? the mom is naturally a stay-at-home parent, but i know the dad isn't unemployed because 1. that would be unamerican and 2. he's wearing a tie.

sloppy work.

the dad's a lucky one. normally he would be in the office, but his company lets him work from home due to the pandemic. the son was part of society's collective blood sacrifice for the economy.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK