• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decent and some laughs, but a bit too broad at times. Gigi was terrible and her scenes really brought the movie down. Jared wasn't much better, or the theater guys.

It's no Blockers, that's for sure.

MathLx

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the movie despite its flaws. I have many friends who are lesbians and the girl in the movie totally reminded me of them.

I was irked by some things like the teacher having sex with her student at the party (can this trope die please) and the fact that they went with the stereotypical depictions of male homosexuality. It feels like they went all in to develop the main female characters but went for the usual tropes when it came to other characters.

It was good but it could have been a lot better imo.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is a legitimately good film, and has a lot more depth than the trailer suggested. Plus the pool scene is extraordinary - apparently Wilde had to fight to keep it in?
Hearing shit like that really irks me. The pool scene and the following one shot, is the emotional peak of the film. It's so beautifully filmed, and edited. The song choice is perfect, and it really captures the teenage experience in just a few brief minutes.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
It was ok, but I was expecting better with the high praise it's getting. There was a film a couple years ago called "Edge of Seventeen" that I liked a lot more.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the movie despite its flaws. I have many friends who are lesbians and the girl in the movie totally reminded me of them.

I was irked by some things like the teacher having sex with her student at the party (can this trope die please) and the fact that they went with the stereotypical depictions of male homosexuality. It feels like they went all in to develop the main female characters but went for the usual tropes when it came to other characters.

It was good but it could have been a lot better imo.

Outside of the lead, all the other gay characters were pretty shite. The two guys were played up as a joke, and then you get the angry lesbian for the other. The rest of the supporting cast were shown to be subversive of their "trope". While the three other gay characters were never really expanded. The film dropped the ball heavily there, but is saved by the lead doing it right.

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
Great movie, everyone should go see it. Gigi was meh, but I thought the strangler stuff was funny.
Small nitpick at the ending:
Mollie gave the salutation, or opening, at the graduation ceremony, which is supposed to be given by the salutatorian. She's the valedictorian, so she's supposed to be giving the closing speech, or valediction.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Sad to see this basically bombed. And what's sad is that I'm sure movie executives will look at this and use it against making more female led films despite the fact that history has shown many other successes.
The movie bombing had nothing to do with it being female lead and created. It released in a timeframe of 4 huge movies all being out at the same time. This movie should have released in March or August.

Let's also not forget the entire movie is available to be pirated in HD quality with a simple google search. Having it on Netflix did it no favors.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
man, this movie was really great. i wanted to see it again immediately. i hope wilde keeps making films, because she definitely has a knack for it

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
The movie bombing had nothing to do with it being female lead and created. It released in a timeframe of 4 huge movies all being out at the same time. This movie should have released in March or August.

Let's also not forget the entire movie is available to be pirated in HD quality with a simple google search. Having it on Netflix did it no favors.

Sad but true, everyone I know who has seen this got it off foreign Netflix and saw it on their phone/tablet/laptop since it's not a film
that requires a full on theater to fully appreciate ( unlike , say, a Godzilla). Shame, it's a really great little film with tons of genuine heart and talent on display

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But history shows that film executives blame everyone but themselves.

It's the exact same as when a female-lead video game bombs. "People don't want to play as girls!"

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it the other day in theaters and thought it was okay. It had its funny moments for sure, but to me it wasn't funny enough to be very memorable as a comedy, and the characters fell too flat for it to work too effectively as a drama. Felt like it was sort of trying to split the difference between Superbad and Eighth grade, but didn't touch either for me.

Still, not bad and I'm glad I saw it, but I was hoping for more.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Rather nice movie. Though the crowd I saw it with yesterday was rather loud. Like not just laughing, but being loud talking. :/

I certainly see the appeal and hoping to get my sister to watch this with me if I can c:

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I was saying it reminded me a lot of Superbad and Lady Bird, before I realized the Beanie Feldstein connection to both those films. I laughed a decent amount and it still worked when it would shift gears and get serious.

It's a meme now but my expectations were subverted.
I thought for sure there was going to be some sort of mean spirited prank at the party. I've seen too many teen movies.

The release date may harm the film which sucks. It's the perfect time of year for a movie about graduating.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this yesterday and I liked it a lot. Despite being an R rated comedy, it was really sweet and even almost wholesome.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

I and we know that. They know that too, but it won't stop them from scapegoating the female creators. I certainly hope I'm just being cynical. The release is a mess, though, yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I really liked it. It's nice to see a gay girl subvert the two most common tropes:
1. Secretly being in love with her best friend
2. Dying/experiencing family trauma

If this movie had come out when I was 17 I would've seen it over and over

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Saw this today and loved it, great film. Only gripe would be the completely unnecessary teacher/student sex plot. Literally served no purpose and it could've been cut out and nothing at all would change the movie. The teacher subplot wouldve been perfect if it ended with her giving the clothes to the girls. Everything was fine but that.

I thought Gigi popping up randomly was great, they could've kept that but toned down what she was doing in her appearances and it was great. I really liked how there wasn't a "bad guy/girl", it felt like a real high school almost. All in all I give it an 8.5/10, most of the 1.5 because of the teacher subplot.

Go see this!

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Went on a date last night and saw this because Aladdin was sold out. Glad we ended up seeing it. The Elizabeth Warren 2020 bumper sticker and genderless bathrooms were a couple of progressive touches not lost on me.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Surprised to see the mixed reactions in here. Saw it this morning and thought it was pretty good.

(Probably dumb) question: are LA high schools just crazier than the rest of the country? I realize it's a movie, but it seems like every depiction of a LA school is crazier than elsewhere.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Surprised to see the mixed reactions in here. Saw it this morning and thought it was pretty good.

(Probably dumb) question: are LA high schools just crazier than the rest of the country? I realize it's a movie, but it seems like every depiction of a LA school is crazier than elsewhere.
They are from what I recall... But this school is movie logic.

I mean, everyone going to an Ivy League college?!? Just saying xD

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this and it was so god damn funny, it was like an Arrested Development episode where I was laughing at almost every line of dialogue. Every character was hilarious. It made me a bit sad that I basically wasted all of high school but still, hilarious and awesome.

Apr 19, 2018
Very good movie. The way the story plays up interpersonal relationships is the film's greatest strength, and not just the one involving Amy and Molly; even secondary characters like Triple A, Hope, and Jared get satisfying arcs.

Aside from Gigi's hijinks, my biggest laugh came from:

Molly smacking the panda doll out of Doug's hands toward the ending. Poor Ling Ling! >_>

The Empire Podcast interview with Feldstein and Dever is also worth a listen. The way they riff off each other, you can tell their real-life camaraderie is genuine.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This was like a way better Superbad to me, which is good because I never liked Superbad.

I liked it a lot.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I liked it. Not as good as I thought the ratings deserve, but at least it's better than Superbad. Probably because I have a low opinion on the latter.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just watched this (FINALLY - I somehow missed its opening weekend even tho it was on my watchlist) and its probably my favourite film this year so far.

I laughed out loud so many times, its so damned fresh and original and good, I love it.

Oct 2, 2018
I was excited to watch it but about 30ish minutes into the movie; i found it really annoying. Beanie Feinstein? Molly - is so irritating that she took me out of the movie. I found her to be so unpleasant that the screen shenanigans never made her redeemable.

One of the most deflating movie experiences in a cinema.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best film of the year. I want to see more from every actor in this film.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Been meaning to catch this, so I watched it today. What a great movie.
I loved that it didn't follow the standard plot of these types of movies and try to make someone a "bad guy".

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
Glad you bumped this. Just happened to finally watch the film on Hulu last night.

Started off great. Second act was really starting to lose me though, jokes were falling flat left and right. And the party hopping shenanigans were kinda lame. But once they got to homedude's party everything started to click.

No wait, that drugged out doll sequence had me cackling. That was when the movie really found its groove.

But overall I really enjoyed it, satisfying character arcs all around.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I found it pretty funny and not mean spirited like a typical teen comedy, sort of like an updated John Hughes movie, i.e. not racist or sexist. Kind of weird though how Beanie Feldstein is basically playing the same character as she did in Lady Bird.