• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Indie Wire:
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/oscars-2020-parasite-foreign-filmmakers-120221045
"As he breezed into Soho House, Bong spotted 'Portrait of a Lady on Fire' director Celine Sciamma, who was snubbed by the Oscars but came to town for her single Spirit Award nomination. He handed her his Best International Feature statue. 'You should be holding this,' he said. The DJ turned up 'Hits From the Bong' as the filmmaker slid into a mosh pit of Korean peers, programmers, and marketing executives, most of whom work far from traditional Hollywood."
oimpqai8mkh41.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8rFT76JuBr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I thought this was a nice moment that was worth bringing attention to. Lock if old. Also I really need to find time to see Portrait.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
While you're here go check out David Ehrlich's (senior film critic at Indiewire) thread on great writing about this film, my favorite of last decade.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
i will if they ever bring it even remotely close to me

the internet kept saying Valentine's day but then that came and went and still no movie

There were pretty widespread preview screenings last Wednesday the 12th around the US, but just a single 7pm showing and then it's not seeing anything else until this coming Friday. NEON really dropped the ball on this one.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Both this and Parasite were distributed by a newer (2017) company Neon. They put all of their eggs on Parasite and it paid off for them, giving them their first Best Picture winner, but this movie deserves just as much attention.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah they had a lovely interaction at the neon party. She mentioned that bong has done it for all foreign movies or something like that.

It was a nice moment

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bong really is the best, dude is so wholesome and just loves movies

Even at the Oscars he was gushing over The Farewell

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
NEON really dropped the ball on distribution for Portrait. It came out here in UK on Valentine's Day and me and my wife were thankful we got to watch this amazing film with one of the most unforgettable final shots but it's a very limited release and it wasn't even picked by France as their nomination for best international film.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
He's such a cool dude.

Also, I thought it wasn't snubbed, but just wasn't submitted for consideration (for whatever reason)?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Bong really is the best, dude is so wholesome and just loves movies

Even at the Oscars he was gushing over The Farewell

The Farewell/Wang didn't get a single nom at the Oscars lmao

and yeah I didn't go to the preview showing last week so now I've gotta wait til March to see Portrait :/

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that film releases are still such a fucking stupid mess compared to books and video games when it comes to accessibility. The Portrait is releasing on iTunes in Finland in June, so I guess I'll watch it then.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Portrait is going into wider release this weekend. Not huge but I think around 300 theaters or so.

This is similar to how A24 does releases.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
Well this might be my favorite picture of all time.

Portrait was such an incredible movie, just as deserving of recognition and praise as Parasite.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah gonna echo most people in here, Portrait was probably the best film of last year tbh

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Oh also for anyone in this thread who liked Portrait or is interested in Portrait, watch Girlhood. That movie was incredible too

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
NEON really dropped the ball on distribution for Portrait. It came out here in UK on Valentine's Day and me and my wife were thankful we got to watch this amazing film with one of the most unforgettable final shots but it's a very limited release and it wasn't even picked by France as their nomination for best international film.
This made me double take as was unaware it had come out on the 14th - thought this was the wider US release. Wikipedia still puts it as the 28th for the general UK release so I'm jealous of you having got to see it already! Have been waiting awhile to see it and hoping come the 28th it'll be available at the Showcase near me.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This made me double take as was unaware it had come out on the 14th - thought this was the wider US release. Wikipedia still puts it as the 28th for the general UK release so I'm jealous of you having got to see it already! Have been waiting awhile to see it and hoping come the 28th it'll be available at the Showcase near me.
It's so bizarre to me that this hasn't been released in the UK yet, considering it has been out in most of Western Europe for almost half a year now. I first saw it at the end of October.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's so bizarre to me that this hasn't been released in the UK yet, considering it has been out in most of Western Europe for almost half a year now. I first saw it at the end of October.
I know it sucks lol, heard good things about PoaLoF right from the get-go and been sat on my hands waiting for it lol. Same was true for The Lighthouse - released on 31st January here which was the day I had to go in for surgery. By the time I could walk again (last weekend) it was already stopped being shown lol 😩. Thankfully get to watch Parasite on the big screen this weekend but did manage to catch that via streaming in December. Either way, too much time spent waiting for films that everyone else is raving about!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't snubbed at the Oscars, France chose to put Les Mis up as their submission. I'm also not sure if Portrait even had a qualifying run in the US last year to count for the Oscars.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
its coming to a small independent cinema here in my city in the U.K. this Friday. So I will definitely support and give it a watch.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't snubbed at the Oscars, France chose to put Les Mis up as their submission. I'm also not sure if Portrait even had a qualifying run in the US last year to count for the Oscars.

You're right about the first part but it was released in a few places in December so it would have qualified.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think it was a preview screening, saw it at Curzon Soho.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I also heard Bong tied his Best Director Oscar from a string and dangled it just out of reach of Quentin Tarantino.