• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Looks crazy impressive. The combat actually looks like the least interesting part about it, but I love how open-ended it looks and how you can interact with almost everything in the environment.

How long until Valve buys them?

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Really interested in this. I want this sort of interaction in every vr shooter.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good, love all the physics. They get what makes games fun in VR, interacting with everything with full range of motion.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Looks crazy impressive. The combat actually looks like the least interesting part about it, but I love how open-ended it looks and how you can interact with almost everything in the environment.

How long until Valve buys them?
That's the key with physics-based VR interactions. It opens up to a nearly limitless range of interaction possibilities. Much less like binary on-off states that gaming has been based off for the last 45+ years and more akin to how the real world works where everything is free-form.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
This looks like it could be something very special indeed. Looks like it fulfills the potential of those early Half Life 2 videos where you could block doors with tables and drop dumpsters on enemies that all got cut from the final game. Valve's own Half Life VR game must be pretty damn impressive if they didn't just hire these guys to turn Boneworks into HL VR instead.

Just wish I had a VR-capable PC and a headset.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This looks like it could be something very special indeed. Looks like it fulfills the potential of those early Half Life 2 videos where you could block doors with tables and drop dumpsters on enemies that all got cut from the final game. Valve's own Half Life VR game must be pretty damn impressive if they didn't just hire these guys to turn Boneworks into HL VR instead.

Just wish I had a VR-capable PC and a headset.
HLVR was in development at least a year before Boneworks, and in Source 2, so there's no way Boneworks could become HLVR. However, what we do know is Valve meets with StressLevelZero frequently and they play each-other's games, so HLVR is definitely going to use lessons learned from Boneworks.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the most impressive game-related things I've seen in years, holy fucking shit!

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The VR interaction looks very impressive and sets a new benchmark. I just wished the visual context would be a bit more.. cohesive. It looks like a bunch of models from different games thrown together. Still looking forward playing it

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and Asgard's Wrath, it's been really difficult this year being a PSVR-only owner

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The VR interaction looks very impressive and sets a new benchmark. I just wished the visual context would be a bit more.. cohesive. It looks like a bunch of models from different games thrown together. Still looking forward playing it
That's part of the story. You go into an operating system in order to debug it and start off with simplistic models until the operating system starts to build on itself, adding more complexity.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they improve the hand animation for non-finger tracking controllers. I know it's a nitpick, but there were some "slapping meat gloves on things" vibes during parts.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty hyped. Watching parts of this really makes me wish the Index had a wireless solution though.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
HL VR stealth launch? Wouldn't surprise me at all.
However, Valve has said in the past that they were against that type of locomotion on VR.
So maybe they've changed of opinion after seeing the work done by Stress Level Zero?
They have been working closely with them in the development of the game, and also they gave their Portal IP to Cloudhead Games for Aperture Hand Lab.
Maybe they are going to license out all of their IPs?

Whatever they are doing, it's looking exciting and I'm hyped AF.

Oct 27, 2017
However, Valve has said in the past that they were against that type of locomotion on VR.
So maybe they've changed of opinion after seeing the work done by Stress Level Zero?
They have been working closely with them in the development of the game, and also they gave their Portal IP to Cloudhead Games for Aperture Hand Lab.

Valve didn't develop the game and it's 100% not a Half-Life game!

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

Kerry Davis gave a talk about the flagship VR game (HLVR) not long ago which by the way is not Boneworks. He confirmed Valve want to offer smooth locomotion, so it won't be a teleportation based game.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited for it, but can't say that trailer did much for me. Was hoping to see a story trailer instead of just more physics interactions.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
Kerry Davis gave a talk about the flagship VR game (HLVR) not long ago which by the way is not Boneworks. He confirmed Valve want to offer smooth locomotion, so it won't be a teleportation based game.
Right, totally forgot about the recent DigiPen talk where he showed how to open doors in VR.
I'm still intrigued in the sense that there's some HL vibe going on in the game. Those mechanical robots that looks like headcrabs are very suspicious, and we don't have a story trailer yet weeks before the release.

Valve didn't develop the game and it's 100% not a Half-Life game!

I know that Valve didn't develop the game, but they did collaborate with them regarding the implementation of the Index controllers into the gameplay.
I'm still not sure that it's not a 100% HL game. It can be related to the HL universe somehow.
Or Brandon already clarified it and I didn't read that comment.

Whatever if it's related or not, it looks dope.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Right, totally forgot about the recent DigiPen talk where he showed how to open doors in VR.
I'm still intrigued in the sense that there's some HL vibe going on in the game. Those mechanical robots that looks like headcrabs are very suspicious, and we don't have a story trailer yet weeks before the release.

I know that Valve didn't develop the game, but they did collaborate with them regarding the implementation of the Index controllers into the gameplay.
I'm still not sure that it's not a 100% HL game. It can be related to the HL universe somehow.
Or Brandon already clarified it and I didn't read that comment.

Whatever if it's related or not, it looks dope.

It's inspired by the HL universe. HL is arguably the greatest physics based FPS game ever made. It's surprising more games weren't inspired by it.

All the internet conspiracy theories beyond this just make no sense. Nothing is preventing Valve from showing what they have (other than themselves). They don't need to hide behind some shell game. If this were an actual HL game, and been marketed as such, it would have 100X the hype it already does.

And I don't mean that as a diss to Boneworks. I actually suspect Boneworks is more interesting in the gameplay department than whatever Valve has been working on. I just mean that if a game this incredible had the HL IP next to it, the hype level would be driven to a new level. Absolutely nothing positive would be gained by hiding its true identity.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was a really impressive trailer. When the player started climbing along a pipe I was like,"Oh damn!"

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
It's inspired by the HL universe. HL is arguably the greatest physics based FPS game ever made. It's surprising more games weren't inspired by it.

All the internet conspiracy theories beyond this just make no sense. Nothing is preventing Valve from showing what they have (other than themselves). They don't need to hide behind some shell game. If this were an actual HL game, and been marketed as such, it would have 100X the hype it already does.

And I don't mean that as a diss to Boneworks. I actually suspect Boneworks is more interesting in the gameplay department than whatever Valve has been working on. I just mean that if a game this incredible had the HL IP next to it, the hype level would be driven to a new level. Absolutely nothing positive would be gained by hiding its true identity.

Well Valve did put Boneworks on their master list on Steam a few months ago causing some to speculate that the devs were either joining Valve or it was somehow connected to Half Life but it now seems like they put it on there so Valve employees had easy access to it for play testing.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
that is the sickest VR game trailer I've ever seen. gosh, I hope it plays as well as that looks.