• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix has acquired rights to the award-winning international comics and is developing an animated series as part of its full-court press into the kids programming space.

The streaming giant's Bone TV series will follow the iconic Bone cousins on an adventure through a vast, uncharted desert and into a mysterious valley filled with wonderful and terrifying creators. Smith is attached to oversee the TV take.

Bone, which Smith began working on as young as 10, was first published in 1991 and tallied 55 issues until it ended in 2004. The series remains one of the most celebrated comics, earning an impressive 10 Eisner Awards (the highest prize given to a comic) and 11 Harvey Awards. The series is considered a pioneer in comics publishing for kids and served as the launch title for Scholastic's graphic novel imprint, Graphix Books, when it launched in 2005.

"I've waited a long time for this," Smith said. "Netflix is the perfect home for Bone. Fans of the books know that the story develops chapter by chapter and book by book. An animated series is exactly the way to do this! The team at Netflix understands Bone and is committed to doing something special — this is good news for kids and cartoon lovers all over the world."

Bone becomes the latest big swing in the kids space as Netflix continues to invest heavily in the genre after signing Doc McStuffins creator Chris Nee, Gravity Falls' Alex Hirsch and several other top producers in the space to overall deals. The streamer's kids lineup includes the animated Green Eggs and Ham, Boss Baby, live-action Baby-Sitters Club and securing rights to Roald Dahl's library in what sources note was a nine-figure deal.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Considering that there were a lot of false starts with an animated feature film for many years, it's great to see Smith finally finding a production company that isn't going to retool his material for the sake if reworking.

Who is making it? I have to send them my portfolio!

Mind if you could put in a good word for me? I'm looking for a storyboard/design contract myself.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nice news. Wish they weren't promoting it so heavily as kids though, it's a classic example of all audience family entertainment that you can get something out of no matter your age.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, excited for it.

And I keep some how forgetting Alex Hirsch has a Netflix deal.

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
After finishing the series with my 6 and 9 yr old, sadly told them that there had been a film adaptation in the works, but that it had been cancelled a long time ago. They'll be pumped to hear this is coming.

I think a series will be able to do the content far more justice than a more time constrained movie.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I read bone for the first time when I was 28 or so and loved it. Didn't even realize it was geared towards kids!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I kind of want the Hilda people to do it, but Hilda got renewed.

I want this to be good, this could be super huge.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. This has potential. Really hope they do a good 2D adaptation of the original artwork, though. It would lose a lot of charm if they went down the 3D route.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
tumblr_mky66uC7rN1ra9gtfo1_500.gif

tumblr_mky66uC7rN1ra9gtfo2_540.jpg

I need to see this in the show.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, this is very exciting news! Unsure from the description though if it's going to be an original spin off story with the main characters or an adaptation of the original book?

Oct 27, 2017
The comic always intrigued whenever I would see it in the Previews catalogue, back when I was in to comics, but I never gave it a shot. But I'm kind of looking forward to seeing this!

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they aren't cheap with the art/animation. Jeff Smith being involved is "promising", depending on how much.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, I remember asking Jeff about what was going on with the Warner Bros. version of the film back in 2009! I've been waiting all this time to hear an update. I feel like this is the best possible outcome. A traditionally animated Bone cartoon series, Jesus Christ I must be dead or dreaming.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Neflix is becoming the home for graphic novel adaptations. I always recommend this to people who want to read a graphic novel for the first time.

Also, put it into my veins!

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
I'm riding pretty high on this incredible news. I've literally been waiting more than 20 years to see this happen.

Can't fucking wait to see this incredible piece of art animated like it was meant to be.

bone_01.jpg
bone_02.jpg

bone_03.jpg

bone_08.jpg

1b99d4ea561ac7c6e1f39896edbf1e05.jpg

3a2828e32839e0494a4dfaa7c458e6aa.jpg

51NtinlIVYL.jpg

bone.jpg