• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
they asked about grinding meat and thats clearly whats being done in the video, people reacting without that in mind when it's in the first two minutes is silly

how many other trails do people want to go down today

I think there's a point to be made that they should've talked about why they were able to cook the burger to rare, rather than just not even mentioning it at all.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It comes down to how red meat handles nasty things, I was told red meat e-coli is surface-level only (unlike chicken) so a steak cooked medium rare is ok but a ground burger "should" be cooked well. But that's really not an issue I've run into.

I think it is also the potential to pick up germs/bacteria from unclean/unsanitized food processing equipment since so much of the surface area is exposed to the equipment.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Air and moisture can get in between strands of ground meat much more easily than they can a steak, chicken breast or pork chop, which is probably why ground beef is (generally) cooked well-done to avoid food poisoning.

If you're buying your beef in steak form (or even better, a beef roast) and grinding it yourself, it's likely going to have less bacteria than the pre-ground stuff in stores.

I never post in this thread, but I worked in meat departments for several years, so I thought I could chime in

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
do you think they're just doubling down on the amiel fake eating sounds at this point to mess with people complaining?

my god it's like nails on a chalkboard. I can't handle it

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
It's true that you can grind your own meat, and it's likely to be completely safe to eat raw, or rare. I think it looks gross, and would prefer a medium rare, even if I ground my own. However, I think they should've talked about why they were able to cook their burgers rare, and dropped the silly electrocution skit.

Oct 25, 2017
those amiel videos always suck. feels like his weird pet project and it doesn't fit with the rest of the channel's content. bring back hawa

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually kind of like the Every Way to Cook videos. They're not the best thing BA puts out, but I usually see at least one thing that makes me go, "Oh, that's an interesting idea," and then a dozen that make me laugh and say, "why would you even try that?" I agree that the eating sounds are obnoxious. It's obvious that you recording a voice-over. Why fake it?

I'm also on the list of people who don't like a super-rare burger - I prefer medium to medium well. Something about the rarer texture is off-putting in a way that you don't get with a medium rare steak.

Also I agree with Amiel that sous vide isn't an amazing way to cook a burger, but if you're going to do it, don't vacuum seal the bag, you maniac. Put it in a zip-loc and use water pressure. Using a vacuum sealer compresses the meat too much.

(The only good reason I've found to sous vide a burger is if you want to make a really BIG burger. Like a half pound burger or something. But IMO, if you REALLY want that much meat, just make more patties.)

EDIT: I was going to do kind of a live reaction to the rest of the video, but I don't know that anyone needs that.
EDIT2: Re-reading this, I think I kind of sound like a maniac? But Sous Vide and Burgers are two things I'm kind of passionate about, so they had to intersect at some point.

Last edited:

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
motherfucker I was just about to post this
SlushyTemptingAldabratortoise-size_restricted.gif

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I mean, no one's going to make gourmet pop rocks. I'd rather learn how to make gormet tater tots than gormet pringles, or krispy kremes.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Every now and then there being a gourmet makes that people can actually use the recipe of is nice. Bring on the tater tots

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Them suggesting Sohla do Gourmet Makes? I need that. It would probably just be here totally chill doing it, then going "Oh, that didnt work. Oh, well. Just gonna eat it anyways. Cool."

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I went on a "Every way to cook a ..." binge last night and I've learned a few things.
1) Steak Smoothie seems like Amiel lost a bet
2) Tartare is something I will never be comfortable preparing
3) Amiel and I have very different ideas of a properly cooked burger. (No shade at those who like rare/med-rare burgers, the texture is never right for me until medium at least)
4) George Foreman is a silent partner in BA/Condé Nast
5) Salt packed cooking seems like a huge waste
6) Eggs are magic
7) Lasers aren't cooking methods.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Yeah. Count me as another person who really likes the Amiel "Every Way to cook a..." videos

Sometimes I want the nice mixture of comedic suffering and really awesome insights that come from a Gourmet Makes. Sometimes I want something closer to a Molly/Brad/Carla "recipe" video. But the EWTCA videos are actually legitimately some of my favorite actual cooking videos.

By doing such a broad spectrum of cooking techniques it is actually a really good way to explain why you might want to cook a chicken one way over another or even just highlight a few "You're doing it wrong" moments. And it is similarly very easy to say "I do it way X. But way X' looks close enough and has a different result"

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Yeah. Count me as another person who really likes the Amiel "Every Way to cook a..." videos

Sometimes I want the nice mixture of comedic suffering and really awesome insights that come from a Gourmet Makes. Sometimes I want something closer to a Molly/Brad/Carla "recipe" video. But the EWTCA videos are actually legitimately some of my favorite actual cooking videos.

By doing such a broad spectrum of cooking techniques it is actually a really good way to explain why you might want to cook a chicken one way over another or even just highlight a few "You're doing it wrong" moments. And it is similarly very easy to say "I do it way X. But way X' looks close enough and has a different result"
i dont mind the concept, i just fucking loathe the production style

Yessssss. It's been months since Carla's last solo video (stuffing!)
1 month ago

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Same here, it honestly might be my favorite thing on the channel right now with "It's Alive" having lost a bit of its charm lately.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The every way to cook etc videos are a fun concept but when only three of the 30 ways are actual, viable , non-joke options it's mostly just a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.