• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I use a whetstone for my good knives but more often than not I grab a few "Kiwi" knives when I am at Asian grocers for every day use. Definitely shouldn't overlook them. Super cheap and pretty damn sharp. Ive had one last for a few years before without doing much to keep it in shape.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The company that sold Brad's original Santoku/Cleaver has got it back in stock after being sold out for a long time. (Note: This isn't the branded one that Brad did with a Los Angeles knife shop - this is the original that it was modeled after.)

It's $70 USD plus shipping, but you can get 20% off with code WIN20.

I just ordered one.
Cheers, thanks. I ordered one, too. I have been wanting to try this style of knife since I started watching Almazan Kitchen videos like three years ago. They sell their own, but they're like $300.
On the topic of knives, does anyone send theirs out for sharpening and if so...how? Just look up someone? I have some knives that are still in good shape (10" chef's and 6" santoku) but definitely need a proper sharpening.

There's a specialty butcher shop near my house that will sharpen them for like $3 per knife. I bought one of these SpyderCo Sharpmakers a couple years ago and it works really well. I am evidence that it's idiot-proof.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Where did they get the Jalapeno Cheese ones? Those were my second favorite, but I haven't seen any in Texas in a long time.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always afraid to get my Shun sharpened since it's on a much smaller angle than typical German steel. I've tried sharpenning myself on 1000/6000, but the results haven't been stellar. Part of my problem now is my whetstone isn't flat anymore, so I need a flattening iron or whatever it's called. So much work.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
There's a specialty butcher shop near my house that will sharpen them for like $3 per knife. I bought one of these SpyderCo Sharpmakers a couple years ago and it works really well. I am evidence that it's idiot-proof.

Thanks I'll check it out.
I'm always afraid to get my Shun sharpened since it's on a much smaller angle than typical German steel. I've tried sharpenning myself on 1000/6000, but the results haven't been stellar. Part of my problem now is my whetstone isn't flat anymore, so I need a flattening iron or whatever it's called. So much work.
Yeah this is exactly the kind of thing I'd not know (correct sharpening angle) and inevitably do more damage than actually sharpen my knife.

I'll look into the Sharpmaker since it looks like it removes that as a pitfall.

That toy(?) at 11:00 looks like a combination of a Chinese YoYo and a Ball-in-a-cup toy

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
That was a weirdly satisfying episode to watch. I think too many moving parts (and apparently a non-zero chance of accidental Geneva Convention violations) to try making at home but the Combos looked SO GOOD.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I never heard of Takis because claire did it and i swear a few weeks after the video, i saw them at a few of my grocery stores up in Canada
They were always there. It's just one of those things you don't start to notice until you're made aware of them. Kinda like when you get a certain car and start seeing that car everywhere you go.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The supertaster has reached the big 4-0 today.

8Hao9na.jpg

grang

Nov 13, 2017
That was a weirdly satisfying episode to watch. I think too many moving parts (and apparently a non-zero chance of accidental Geneva Convention violations) to try making at home but the Combos looked SO GOOD.

Yeah those fillings especially sound excellent, might make some of them just to have with some store bought crackers, maybe those half cracker half pretzel Flipsides. But even those would be tough unless I want to invest in some cheese powders I'd likely never use again lol

edit: ...unless? 🤔

Last edited:

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
made priya's kadhi, pretty good, though next time i think i will add a shit ton more spices since other than being creamy and tangy it doesnt have a whole lot of character imo

gotta LOAD IT UP

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I'm liking Priya less with time, and Claire more (although she has always been one of my favorites).

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an American and I've never heard of or seen combos once in my life. I'm assuming they're an East coast thing

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Combos are the last salty things left in the vending machine that you end up buying out of desperation and toss out when you take one bite of that greasy artificial garbage.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
i dont really know what the "gimmick" would be, but sohla rules so i support this

H0AM2tg.gif

the premise being someone in the test kitchen
molly most of the time lbr
massacres a dish or doesn't have an essential kitchen tool or only has a Bunsen burner to cook with or some shit and Sohla figures out how to rescue the dish and make it edible

I'm only asking for 20% condé nast, work with me here

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
as someone who went down a mini rabbit hole of youtube knife sharpening tutorials recently, to learn how to do it myself, this brad video doesn't seem that great lol
i suggest this guy's channel for easier to follow tutorials
www.youtube.com

Burrfection

Husband, father, knife and sharpening enthusiast, who is constantly experimenting and exploring different knife sharpening techniques. My goal is to provide ...

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized I can read BA with my library membership. Will actually check out the issues instead of spacing out when they talk about it.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
as someone who went down a mini rabbit hole of youtube knife sharpening tutorials recently, to learn how to do it myself, this brad video doesn't seem that great lol
i suggest this guy's channel for easier to follow tutorials
www.youtube.com

Burrfection

Husband, father, knife and sharpening enthusiast, who is constantly experimenting and exploring different knife sharpening techniques. My goal is to provide ...
Fell down a similar hole recently and spent a little too much updating my kitchen knives.

I had a hard time following Burrfection when I started because his inconsistent technique threw me off and he's not terribly concise. I'd recommend Peter Nowlan or Japanese Knife Imports:

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was taught to sharpen knives by a butcher who was my neighbor growing up. Really different to how Brad sharpens knives. More similar to using a steel, even pressure along the whole blade with the length of the knife sort of travelling down the stone evenly starting from the base to the tip, it is hard to describe.

He also had a massive, circular stone on something like an old knitting wheel. You would push the pedal with your foot to make the stone spin and run the knife along it in a similar manner, from the base to the tip with equal pressure.

Learning how to sharpen knives and even use different types of knives properly is why I love Kiwi knives so much. They are usually only like $3-5 each and are honestly decent. I would prefer to use them for day to day stuff than whipping out a $350 knife just to shred iceberg or something.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
these youtube comments on todays amiel video sure are afraid of a fucking mid rare burger

newsflash kiddos, if you grind your own meat you can eat that thing raw as you want

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
these youtube comments on todays amiel video sure are afraid of a fucking mid rare burger

newsflash kiddos, if you grind your own meat you can eat that thing raw as you want
I eat a medium rare burger anywhere I go that actually gives me the option. People love their bland, nasty meat that's just a vessel for condiments and empty calories.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
My wife will eat a steak rare, but she won't touch a burger that isn't well done. It's just how she was raised. A lot of people are like that.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
My wife will eat a steak rare, but she won't touch a burger that isn't well done. It's just how she was raised. A lot of people are like that.

It comes down to how red meat handles nasty things, I was told red meat e-coli is surface-level only (unlike chicken) so a steak cooked medium rare is ok but a ground burger "should" be cooked well. But that's really not an issue I've run into.

Status
Not open for further replies.