• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I dont know if Brad is as nice as it seems or of it is wonderful editing ji6b they do in his videos that just make it seem like a perfect mix of comedy, culinary and a real nice guy talking to you and Vinnie (?), the cameram. I love his recipes and the It's Alive thing too.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Aw yeah, BON APPETIT OT.

So this weekend, my friend and I tried to make gourmet Oreos! It went... okay. We made a bunch of mistakes, not least of which was following some random Reddit transcription of the Oreo recipe that missed a bunch of details and also I think got the amount of butter wrong? (two sticks of butter isn't 150g! is it? is it an American thing?) Anyways, it came out kinda salty, which actually is pretty great, but the filling didn't have the right consistency (should've let the coconut oil and cocoa butter cool more before mixing in the sugar, and also I probably should've gotten an actual food scale instead of trying to eyeball the oil/butter measurements, and ALSO ALSO should've rolled out the icing on parchment instead of bare cutting board) and overall it didn't really taste like an Oreo. Nevertheless, I ate a whole bunch of them and so did my friends. So WHATEVER.

We plan to try again. This time, we got the SILICONE MOLDS.

Nine hours. Yikes.
This is why at the end of every gourmet makes video, I say aloud, "or you could just go to the store and buy some ________"

I enjoy judging the videos on how much effort it would be to make the thing from scratch. Like, Oreos, not so bad. Pop Tarts, a little worse. Cutting the individual rounded corners on tortillas so you can make, like, 18 Doritos chips in four hours? Fuck that, I'm going to the goddamned store.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
So much fresh corn available here in KY right now and next month or so, so might have to make that corn chowder soon. My wife won't touch it, but means more for me.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
So much fresh corn available here in KY right now and next month or so, so might have to make that corn chowder soon. My wife won't touch it, but means more for me.
giphy.gif

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I dont know if Brad is as nice as it seems or of it is wonderful editing ji6b they do in his videos that just make it seem like a perfect mix of comedy, culinary and a real nice guy talking to you and Vinnie (?), the cameram. I love his recipes and the It's Alive thing too.
FYI: Vinnie is gone. He doesn't work for BA anymore.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
Re: the corn chowder video, R M F E at the idea that Adam Rapoport needs to be convinced that bay leaf is an actual ingredient with an actual flavor and use! Like it's so important in South / Southeast Asian cuisine especially. He's such a douche.

Carla is an angel though. Love love love her.

jgminto

Oct 25, 2017
17iLION.jpg

My bf and I attempted Andy's Salted Chocolate Halva recipe and it was surprisingly easy, it was the first time I'd worked with molten sugar so I was a bit nervous. Forgive the subpar presentation, I couldn't find the fancy edible flowers or black sesame (also forgot to take the photo before wrapping it overnight so that explains the marks) but it tastes so damn good.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
My wife introduced me to this youtube channel as "cooking meets The Office". Didn't buy it but after watching the Brad/Claire Sour Doughnuts series I was hooked. This is such a great YT channel with so many funny and nice people.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
My wife introduced me to this youtube channel as "cooking meats The Office". Didn't buy it but after watching the Brad/Claire Sour Doughnuts series I was hooked. This is such a great YT channel with so many funny and nice people.
If you haven't seen it yet the Perfect Pizza series is a lot of fun, lots of interplay between all the BA members

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like it so far, but I just started getting into it, so take this with enough salt to season a pot of pasta water

It depends on the episode, because there are different people and different topics every time. Most are the test kitchen crew talking about their thought process behind a recipe they developed or the theme of the current issue of the magazine (Chris talking about developing his chocolate chip cookie recipe or Molly talking about what food to take on a picnic). Then there are some that are just talking about a specific ingredient or class of food prep (Carla raving about rice or Andy saying what to do with fresh herbs). The older episodes (pre the youtube channel personalities taking off) seem to have a lot more interviewing celebrities or restauranteurs, but I haven't actually listened to those.

So if you're interested in hearing the test kitchen people talk about food concepts, trends, and what recipes they like, I'd say give it a shot
Ah okay, I'll try out a few eps, thanks.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what happened when Claire was 'leaving' and then they brought her back? She just get poached and they matched/beat the offer?

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She was going to open a bakery in Alaska but either her plans fell through or BA did their best to keep her

I've heard this story and I find it curious. In the Sourdough Donuts episode, she basically says she can barely drive a car because she lives in New York, but she was going to move to Alaska? That just seems like a very weird move to me.
One way or another, I'm glad she stayed. I almost just dropped the channel when she left.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
yup, he is with Babish now... I just did an It's Alive marathon, didnt know he had left already.
That's so sad. I've only watched some of Babish videos but aren't they shot with a static camera all the time? Kinda weird he would need a camera guy.
Brad doesn't interact with the new guy as much as he did with Vinny.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I find Babish incredibly annoying, to the point of instilling senseless nerd rage on a scale only equalled by Marques Brownlee, reigning king of unctuousness.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Brad is simply the best. As a fellow Jersey guy and lover of Tom Berringer movies, he needs to be protected at all costs.

Made his tepache a couple of weeks ago and it is fantastic. Highly recommend.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think the mysterious backstory of Delaney being Brad's nemesis is just that he sits way too close to people at tables.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I was going through different playlists to see what else there was and came across this video of Claire. I didn't recognize her like at all, if I didn't read the description I wouldn't have even known it was her.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I was going through different playlists to see what else there was and came across this video of Claire. I didn't recognize her like at all, if I didn't read the description I wouldn't have even known it was her.

All BA videos from before they started relying on the personalities of the chefs are something else. There is a an even older video of somebody who is clearly Claire but with no visible face and mute, making the same sourdough bread recipe she did with Brad. The comments were awful, most people complained that it was too complicated and that making bread shouldn't take that much time.

Edit: found it

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
All BA videos from before they started relying on the personalities of the chefs are something else. There is a an even older video of somebody who is clearly Claire but with no visible face and mute, making the same sourdough bread recipe she did with Brad. The comments were awful, most people complained that it was too complicated and that making bread shouldn't take that much time.

Edit: found it

Oh, the growing pains of a YouTube channel. This makes me think of people who don't understand how to make a good presentation and end up standing in front of a room just reading off all the slides of their Powerpoint deck verbatim, which each happen to have more text than War and Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.