• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
For all the non-brazillians reading, this is a serious issue this country has. It's called "complexo de vira lata" (mutt complex), and it applies to pretty much any rich country in the world that we hear of.

Nobody hates brazil more than brazillians, everything is considered better if it's from the outside. Brazillian movies are trashed even before they come out because they are "not as good as the american ones".European clothes are better. Japanese food is better. Nothing coming from here can ever be good, because we are (in our heads), inferior to those countries. Ever since the beggining this country is treated, by his own population, as lesser. If you ever visited Rio de janeiro(or any other place) and felt that people were trying really hard to impress you and make you feel welcome, part of it comes from that feeling, a deep self-hatred and need for outside acknowledgement that is burned on our minds since birth.

That's why bolsonaro and the alt-right always comes with the "well, if you went to london, you would see that streets are way cleaner, because people there aren't pigs like here" argument every time they want to make a point(or similars). And they do it because they know the population believes that bullshit. They know they feel poor and without hope and will believe that they are like this because they deserve it, and not because the way this country treats its poor citizens is ridiculous and unfair.

I hate it, i hate that ever since the beggining i was treated like a dog that at best, if i was a good girl and studied, could hope to someday get out of here and go to where the "worthy" people live, in more "civilized" countries. And until we don't learn to have self respect we won't go anywhere.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
For all the non-brazillians reading too, this is a serious issue this country has. It's called "complexo de vira lata" (mutt complex) here, and it applies to pretty much any devolved country in the world that we hear of.

Nobody hates brazil more than brazillians, everything is considered better if it's from the outside. Brazillian movies are trashed even before they come out because they "are not as good as the american ones".European clothes are better. Japanese food is better. Nothing coming from here can ever be good, because we are, (in our heads), inferior to those countries. Ever since the beggining this country is treated, by his own population, as lesser. If you ever visited here and felt that people were trying really hard to impress you and make you feel welcome, part of it come from that feeling, that is burned on our minds since we start living.

That's why bolsonaro and the alt-right always come with the "well, if you went to london, you would see that streets are way cleaner, because people there aren't pigs like here" and that sort of argument every time they want to make a point. And they do it because they know the population believes that bullshit. They know they feel poor and without hope and will believe that they are like this because they deserve it, and not because the way this country treats its poor population is ridiculous.

I hate it, i hate that ever since the beggining i was treated like a dog that at best, it i was a good girl and studied, could hope to someday get out of here and go to the "worthy" people live, in more "civilized" countries. And until we don't learn to have self respect we won't go anywhere.

This is sad to read, but I definitely understand why. It doesn't help when most of the world has spent centuries shitting on your country. It's a pretty similar story to what caused the rise of the Chinese communist party. The Chinese felt like trash and Mao gave them an iron-fisted way out.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
When keeping it weeb goes wrong.
For all the non-brazillians reading too, this is a serious issue this country has. It's called "complexo de vira lata" (mutt complex) here, and it applies to pretty much any devolved country in the world that we hear of.

Nobody hates brazil more than brazillians, everything is considered better if it's from the outside. Brazillian movies are trashed even before they come out because they "are not as good as the american ones".European clothes are better. Japanese food is better. Nothing coming from here can ever be good, because we are, (in our heads), inferior to those countries. Ever since the beggining this country is treated, by his own population, as lesser. If you ever visited here and felt that people were trying really hard to impress you and make you feel welcome, part of it come from that feeling, that is burned on our minds since we start living.

That's why bolsonaro and the alt-right always come with the "well, if you went to london, you would see that streets are way cleaner, because people there aren't pigs like here" and that sort of argument every time they want to make a point. And they do it because they know the population believes that bullshit. They know they feel poor and without hope and will believe that they are like this because they deserve it, and not because the way this country treats its poor population is ridiculous.

I hate it, i hate that ever since the beggining i was treated like a dog that at best, it i was a good girl and studied, could hope to someday get out of here and go to the "worthy" people live, in more "civilized" countries. And until we don't learn to have self respect we won't go anywhere.
This is something I'm unfortunately familiar with to an extent and it definitely hurts to feel this, especially on a national scale.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So isn't this a little weird when you consider the, I believe, sizable Brazilian population with Japanese ancestry? How's that work? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We Portuguese suffered the same during the 90's-00's, so put that on the bucket of the shitty heritage we left there.
We love ourselves (a little) better now.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It doesn't surprise me that Bolsonaro would love Naruto, a manga that glorifies nationalism, warfare, and child soldiers.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017

The Germans went overboard with the 7-1.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
The Germans went overboard with the 7-1.
I know you're joking, and we joke as well, but that actually hurted more than people imagine. For the longest time, the only pride this country could have came from soccer(or futebol). It was the thing dictadorship used to convince us that we could be a great country, if we just follow their rules without question it. We winning the cups and being know all over the world for that was the first time the normal population had something to be proud of in their minds. And that feeling died a little on that humiliation.Now, for a lot of people, "we don't even have that".

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right on

Alright, that's enough lol

Me:

1LpxsGG.png

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For all the non-brazillians reading, this is a serious issue this country has. It's called "complexo de vira lata" (mutt complex), and it applies to pretty much any rich country in the world that we hear of.

Nobody hates brazil more than brazillians, everything is considered better if it's from the outside. Brazillian movies are trashed even before they come out because they are "not as good as the american ones".European clothes are better. Japanese food is better. Nothing coming from here can ever be good, because we are (in our heads), inferior to those countries. Ever since the beggining this country is treated, by his own population, as lesser. If you ever visited Rio de janeiro(or any other place) and felt that people were trying really hard to impress you and make you feel welcome, part of it comes from that feeling, a deep self-hatred and need for outside acknowledgement that is burned on our minds since birth.

That's why bolsonaro and the alt-right always comes with the "well, if you went to london, you would see that streets are way cleaner, because people there aren't pigs like here" argument every time they want to make a point(or similars). And they do it because they know the population believes that bullshit. They know they feel poor and without hope and will believe that they are like this because they deserve it, and not because the way this country treats its poor citizens is ridiculous and unfair.

I hate it, i hate that ever since the beggining i was treated like a dog that at best, if i was a good girl and studied, could hope to someday get out of here and go to where the "worthy" people live, in more "civilized" countries. And until we don't learn to have self respect we won't go anywhere.
As a brazilian that visited other countries (primeiro mundo, pode-se dizer) we are really behind other countries in a lot of things, sadly. But not by that much as they say lol
We have a lot of things to be proud of, but for some reason people only remember of the worst :( what a beautiful country we have that are being destroyed by these so called "presidents"

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
He says shit all the time, that is not news unfortunately... what is news is the high officials of the Army making a report saying that they expect France to military invade the Amazon in the next 20 years, through the French Guiana... all levels of the government are filled with people that are batshit crazy and are afraid of Communism just like the USA was about 70 years ago.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
He says shit all the time, that is not news unfortunately... what is news is the high officials of the Army making a report saying that they expect France to military invade the Amazon in the next 20 years, through the French Guiana... all levels of the government are filled with people that are batshit crazy and are afraid of Communism just like the USA was about 70 years ago.

Mon Dieu, Cacetinho Brasileiro will then be called baguette we must stop it

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019

Having been to London many times this is not true I refuse to believe that Rio or San Paulo could be worse.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
As a brazilian that visited other countries (primeiro mundo, pode-se dizer) we are really behind other countries in a lot of things, sadly. But not by that much as they say lol
We have a lot of things to be proud of, but for some reason people only remember of the worst :( what a beautiful country we have that are being destroyed by these so called "presidents"
I mean, of course we are behind other countries in a lot of things, everyone knows that. That doesn't mean we should think on any level that it is because we are "inferior" people. And that's what everyone here implies all the time. ("Sao paulo é feia mesmo, fazer o que, se fosse holandeses não ia ser desse jeito, br é bicho mesmo" eu ouvi isso muitas vezes por exemplo).

And i don't think we need to even be proud of anything, what i think we need to is to recognize that we are not anyone other than ourselves and take responsability for it. Alexandre garcia loves to say "japan that, japan this" but he conveniently forget for example, that until the meiji restoration japan was very anti-industrialization, and the entire country was very much behind the rest of world most powerfull countries because of that. Japan didn't had 300 years of slavery, which created a unequal and racist country, which later created an intelectual elite that hates the fact that it isn't as european as they wish, going as far as to suggest "importing" europeans to "purify" it(Isso foi realmente escrito nos anos 50). And that line of thought infected every level of our society later. From people on the streets to a president saying that he "liked the smell of horses more than the smell of brazillians(figueiredo).

This whole topic just make me incredibly mad, i'm sorry.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019

Most of these guys used to be a part of the former military dictatorship right ?

I am half brazilian and only know the basics since I grew up in Europe.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
So isn't this a little weird when you consider the, I believe, sizable Brazilian population with Japanese ancestry? How's that work? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

From what I experienced as a Brazilian without Japanese ancestry, it's a weird mix of the ''model minority'' stereotype and racism. The people of Japanese ancestry I've met were treated like not really belonging here, lots of racists jokes and ''where are you really from'', but at the same time they were treated as superior to Brazilians since they were supposed to be ''smart, educated and hardworking'', and especially superior to Brazilians with Black and Indigenous ancestry, always labeled as lazy and ''prone to be criminals by nature''.

If successful enough, Brazilians with Japanese ancestry end up with a ''honorary white'' status, since ''whiteness'' is very associated with class in Brazil, but even that won't protect them from racism. But since they are clumped with white middle/upper-class Brazilians and very pressured to be successful and hardworking, it's not uncommon to find people with Japanese ancestry that support Bolsonaro and other right-wing or neoliberal politicians and parties, and these politicians are very keen on using them as a comparative standard to mixed/Black/Indigenous Brazilians. ''Why you can't be like the Japanese Brazilians, this country doesn't work because of you'' kind of thing, obviously full of racism too.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Most of these guys used to be a part of the former military dictatorship right ?

I am half brazilian and only know the basics since I grew up in Europe.
None of the dictators or officials from the dictatorship were convicted of anything, so yeah some are still around. But I dont think this is really connected, it is just that we have a President and a whole cabinet of Ministers that are afraid of communism and would rather make a meme than propose a new law that favors the country... so it is like everyone is free to do whatever they want, the Foreign Minister is probably laughing at this shit show.

The French Embassy even responded:

basically:
"we learnt through the press that the Defense Ministry of Brazil views France as a future threat. ... We congratulate the limitless imagination of whoever wrote that report. Brazil is the biggest strategic parter of France in Latin America and we have friendly relations.

edit. The report was made by the Ministry of Defense so it is basically a bunch of stupid people Bolsonaro put their.

edit2. https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/inter...-military-elite-sees-france-as-a-threat.shtml
news in English

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
6nnoTkk.gif

In all serious it's weird how so many people outside of Japan go so far as to glorfiy the nation that they shit on their own country. It's pathetic. Weebs need to undertsand Japan isn't a utopia and they have their own share of issues. Nor is their language, cartoons, or culture somehow objectively superior than any others.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
What a twist. Era hated this man and he thinks the same as them

Yeah and he uses the bathroom too! I guess we're all fascists! /s

America is still scared of Communism/Socialism look at this clip from the "left wing" network here:

Last edited:

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
So this is the next level huh. I wondered what it would be. TV Celeb racist in the white house, then we had corporations bantering like teenagers on twitter. Now this. A weeb president. Fucking hell.