• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That sure is bold.

>8m seems like a lock, maybe even >9. Anything else is hard to say at this point.

Oct 29, 2017
No. Just no.

The highest ever sales for a game in Japan is Pokemon Red/Blue/Green, which stands at 7.9 million. And that was the biggest worldwide phenomenon a game has ever been.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I hate about Nintendo success stories....people always feel the need to go crazy with predictions about lifetime sales instead of just appreciating the fact that a console game is willing to sell that much in Japan lol.

For all we know ACNH will be sold and playable on current Switch models, Switch Pro and a Switch 2 etc.

So yeah the game will be a evergreen and likely sell for the next 5 years or whenever a sequel is ready to be released.

No point in putting a number on it but it's gonna be the best selling console game ever Japan.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For context, the current best selling game of all time in Japan sits at 8M something.

I was with you for 10M but above that is pushing it.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I think 10 million would already be quite a bold prediction tbh. But hey, if there's one game that can pull it off, it's AC. The legs so far have been incredible...

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I won't argue with the price cut, as it could go either way. Ps2 is an example of that.

Now reguarding Software, if the rest of this year line up is indeed a Mario 3D world port as well as 3D Mario collection/etc and maybe a a surprise game or 2 (Paper Mario too) then 2021 could still potentially be a strong year as well. New IP with Zelda anniversary games (like the suppose Mario this year) maybe a Splatoon spin off, Tomodachi Life (this is a heavy hitter) can all help hardware strong for years to come.

1 thing NSW has that the other Nintendo systems didnt Is it is the only system that Nintendo Is supporting. There are many more mid tier games that can keep sales going throughout Y5-Y7 including sequels that could give great spikes as well.

hell even if people aren't a believer of it now, a potential Mario Kart can come out in holiday 2021 or spring 2022 with a price cut and that could keep sales above 4mil once again. MK if it did come out would boost sales. Before saying there is a mk already let's not forget Pokémon LGPE and Pokémon SS :)
Well I guess only way to see which one is right is to wait for few years heh (if we somehow remember that this conversation even happened and still use ERA). Lets just say that history is not on your side lol.

Nintendo holding off on new models, price cuts together with all their big IP on one console and no generational transition will keep Switch relevant for the next 5 years at least. DS numbers should be no problem. The lines will be blurred as to what a Switch 2 or pro will mean as long as Nintendo keeps supporting thw original model for a long time with most of their software.

I don't think it is a bold prediction at all, just look at Nintendo's shareholder briefing QandA and you will find the answers.

Switch 2 will get its own games or otherwise it sales will be greatly compromised (people buy new consoles to play new games). All games working on original Switch would mean less sales for Switch 2 because there would be less reasons to own one. For example while PS4 pro has given nice boost for PS4 sales globally it's base PS4 that is the best selling SKU by big margin. Nintendo (or Sony or MS) don't really care about the final ltd sales of their consoles. They care about yearly sales of both sw and hw. They are not going to force Switch to sell DS numbers if it means that their yearly console (and sw) sales suffer.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
All i know is that op sure is spending Alot of times consolidating and 'analysing' those numbers.

Well, not that there's alot to do at home now.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User warned: antagonising other member, cross-thread drama
your making a thread about this instead of keeping it to MCT is a cry for help, isn't it?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when you ingest things Trump tells you to.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It would be an easier prediction of Japan's birth rate was higher.

No one expected GTA V to sell for 2 console generations and over 100m when it launched first...same for Minecraft or Mario Kart 8. These legs of these big games and ever greens are difficult to predict and mostly depend on when the publisher decides to replace said game.

12m at this point is....too much though lol.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Switch already beat History though many times. :P
At the same time since we saw Switch will be success (after launch basically) people have generally made tons of hyperbole predictions that have not happened (in this thread and in NPD thread, still remember that December 2018 NPD prediction thread and PS2 home console record going down lol). I mean broken clock is right twice a day ;P (with now this AC craziness and pandemic boosting sales).

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That would make it like what, the second most successful Japanese game of all time if compared solely to 3rd party games (essentially only MHW has sold more) with ONLY domestic sales?

Huge if so.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
WAIT

I said it's possible, that's not my actual prediction hahahaha.

But yes, i think 10 million at worst, 15 million at best. So 12 million is pretty spot on with what i would predict.

Lol.

If Q1 shipment for JP is 4.5-5M that's a figure achieved in 12 days (of course meant to cover forward weeks). It would need to do a ~3.5x from its first 12 day shipment to achieve it.

So far Chris continues to maintain that physical stock is not short, but it is tight, so demand is keeping pace despite the availability of a digital option.

I think TBone's ~7M by end of Q1/JUN is achievable. Doubling that over the following ~5 years that it will move a large number of units doesn't seem very absurd. It can pull another million or so for the remainder of this year, Nd after that it's a matter of performing like MK8D +35% for the remainder of its life. If weeklies by holiday time have already fallen behind MK8D launch aligned (so DEC 2017) then obviously I'm delusional, but if a solid buffer remains then I think LTD trajectory will be above 12M.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Rhythm Heaven is a pretty big seller in Japan too, right? That has to be coming at some point.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Evergreens are not gonna keep console selling 4 million a year without spikes from big new sw launches or revisions. Also I think people overstate the importance of price. PS2 is actually good example. It sold 3.1 million during its launch year with price of 40k yen. It peaked in 2002 when price was 30k yen (3.7 million) and at the end of 2003 Sony had cut the price to already 20k yen (they were really aggressive with PS2 price) and yet sales for 2003 where 3.2 million and another decline happened in 2004. Also imo we will not see price cuts to base Switch in long time (Lite was Nintendos answer for price conscious market). When/if it will be to stop decline and not boost the sales. Late gen price cuts pretty much never actually boost the sales after the initial week/month. I mean for example PS4 is still $299.

I mean obviously yes. Nintendo are masters of creating new big franchises (especially when it comes to japan). Still though it's also of course harder to create something new that is popular than to rely on games you know are popular. My point is that without any kind of idea what sw Switch gets and from the fact that we know that they are out of their traditional mega sellers it's pretty optimistic to predict 4 million year especially as far in the future was 2022.
By far the strangest point here is that you don't think their will be another revision, for a Nintendo handheld? Nintendo cranks out revisions like it's nobodies business for handhelds, it's their bread and butter for handhelds and always has been. There's an extremely high chance of a revision and price cut either next year or the one afterwards.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
A revision that can play games in handheld mode with docked level settings would be interesting.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
your making a thread about this instead of keeping it to MCT is a cry for help, isn't it?

I mean if that's what you believe, then sure? I like to make predictions on almost impossible bets. This is one of them. Even if it's in thread form. Others know me of doing this from another site so I don't see the problem... if anything your post comes off a bit rude lol. But to each their own :P

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
By far the strangest point here is that you don't think their will be another revision, for a Nintendo handheld? Nintendo cranks out revisions like it's nobodies business for handhelds, it's their bread and butter for handhelds and always has been. There's an extremely high chance of a revision and price cut either next year or the one afterwards.

Oh. I didn't mention it but obviously there will be revisions. I guess we will see how those will actually boost sales or just keep them dropping faster (like with 3DS or actually PS4 Pro too to some degree). I also think that revisions would mean no price cuts. Switch Pro (if there is one) will just take the place of original Switch with same price point and leave Lite as the cheap entry point device. I don't see them selling three different SKUs of Switch (Lite, base and Pro) with different price points.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Rhythm Heaven is a pretty big seller in Japan too, right? That has to be coming at some point.
Yeah there are lots of IP that could sustain sales with the right product.

nintendogs
Nintendo Land
Rythm Heaven
Wario Ware
Tomodachi collection
Wii Sports (Switch Sports)
Big Brain Academy
A new 2D Mario

Maybe a few surprise third party gets like Monster Hunter would help but I don't think it's necesaey.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh. I didn't mention it but obviously there will be revisions. I guess we will see how those will actually boost sales or just keep them dropping faster (like with 3DS or actually PS4 Pro too to some degree). I also think that revisions would mean no price cuts. Switch Pro (if there is one) will just take the place of original Switch with same price point and leave Lite as the cheap entry point device. I don't see them selling three different SKUs of Switch (Lite, base and Pro) with different price points.
i think a Switch aimed at enthousiasts with a higher price and bigger screen with a little hardware boost will be a good strategy going forward. I don't think the difference will be very big but I can see them selling 3 models at 3 different prices.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
At the same time since we saw Switch will be success (after launch basically) people have generally made tons of hyperbole predictions that have not happened (in this thread and in NPD thread, still remember that December 2018 NPD prediction thread and PS2 home console record going down lol). I mean broken clock is right twice a day ;P (with now this AC craziness and pandemic boosting sales).
Eh i'd say so far the only "disappoint" Switch has ever done was 2018, when it failed to reach the 20 million goal (and everything that contribuited to that, so the 2 million in December NPD 2018, ecc).
But outside of that, 2017 and 2019 have been way better years than expected for most people, and so far 2020 is killing it.

For the record, i agree with you that Switch won't stay over 4 million yearly in 2022, but i would not be surprised if that happen.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That depends on what the revisions actually is I'd said the most probable chance is there will be a price cut unless it's a 2DS situation but I honestly think the lite is the 2DS in this scenario, not sure how much more they can really stripe back. More likely I think is the introduction of a new premium model for the current regular switch price point and everything else gets a price cut with the lite getting closer to that $100 dollar sweet spot.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
No. Just no.

The highest ever sales for a game in Japan is Pokemon Red/Blue/Green, which stands at 7.9 million. And that was the biggest worldwide phenomenon a game has ever been.

The Corona virus created a unique situation where an even bigger gaming phenomenon can happen. I don't think it would have been possible without the virus situation but now I think it has a shot.
No, it will do as most 6-7 million when it's done
It's already close to 6 million and is showing no signs of stopping.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has a genuine chance to outsell Mario Kart Wii / NSMB Wii (whatever sold most) as the best selling, modern time Nintendo game ever (WW sales ofc).

This prediction is based mainly on the fact than I think Switch will evolve into many different platforms over time including a Pro, a home console, a backwards compatible Switch 2 and maybe even a tablet only device in the future meaning it's install base could be as high as 150 million to sell to.

It's early sales are mind boggling. I bought it but just can't get into it as I've always had an issue with games where there is no clear set out goal.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of a prolonged lifespan is all well and good but Nintendo actually has to execute on the idea, and consumers actually need to respond to it.

Nintendo tried to support 3DS through to the beginning of last year but consumers had completely moved on.

The reason PlayStation consoles have been able to have long lifespans has been the strong back bone of 3rd party support. Vita was still get games from major publishers two years into the Switch's life despite being something of a failure and PS3 was still getting major games in 2016.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean if that's what you believe, then sure? I like to make predictions on almost impossible bets. This is one of them. Even if it's in thread form. Others know me of doing this from another site so I don't see the problem... if anything your post comes off a bit rude lol. But to each their own :P
I was just poking fun, lol. Didn't mean to be rude, sorry.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Birth rate is not so much an issue when the game is played by people of all ages. The adult age category is targetted a lot by the game.
It's not about it being an issue but the markets infliction with new players and customers. People always ask why GTA V stick around forever ....because it's a new generations of players picking it up.

When the games reaches a saturation point it's up for the next generation to pick up the slack. A lot would have to come together to reach these kind of high numbers, a fair share of new customers being one of them.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Chris1964 hiska-kun While we know that Nintendo is preparing big stock for the upcoming two weeks (...at least for Week 18), I doubt retailers have knowledge about how post-GW weekly restocks might look like, right? We've heard that Nintendo has asked up to 50% increase in production for specific components right for this period, but still it could take a while to see those increases reflect into stock availability.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
As stated in different occasions by Nintendo, their intention is to have a longer lifespan for Switch. Unless sales collapse there is little reason to change their stance.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Almost 8.4mil and another one close to 7.2mil
I'm banking on NSW having extraordinary legs for Y4-Y6 with no new system launching intill the earliest spring 2024

DS

2004: 1.495.593
2005: 4.151.356
2006: 8.358.730
2007: 7.167.372
2008: 3.946.585
2009: 4.159.445
2010: 2.872.621
2011: 657.815
2012: 68.973

DS NSW
2004: 1.495.593 / 2017: ~3.3
2005: 4.151.356 / 2018: ~3.5
2006: 8.358.730 / 2019: ~4.5
2007: 7.167.372 / 2020: ~6.5
2008: 3.946.585 / 2021: ~5.0
2009: 4.159.445/ 2022: ~4.5
2010: 2.872.621 / 2023: ~3.5
2011: 657.815 / 2024: ~1.5 March launch
2012: 68.973 / 2025: leg out to 33M LTD

Is this what you are forecasting? I can't see 2024 being that high if Nintendo is planning on a march launch for the next hardware. 2023 is quite high as well, which is why I think NSW will end up at about 30-31M instead of 33-34M