• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
The first half to the season wasnt great, but hopefully they conclude it well with the second half.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched part 1 yet, I want to binge all the sadness in one go and then wallow in misery throughout the weekend.
I'm not ready :(

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
He's totally going to die, right?

Everyone dies eventually.

Personally I think he is finally going to get his life together. He quit drinking, has a good job, maybe meets someone he loves and finally makes his romantic life work. He is finally going to be happy. And then it is all going to fall apart as his past catches to him and he gets what he deserves.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Everyone dies eventually.

Personally I think he is finally going to get his life together. He quit drinking, has a good job, maybe meets someone he loves and finally makes his romantic life work. He is finally going to be happy. And then it is all going to fall apart as his past catches to him and he gets what he deserves.
I reckon he's going to lose everything...and then realise he's actually happier and healthier without any of it.
yep. i reckon it'll be these 2

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I've done several rewatches of the show and yea... Bojack was an enormous piece of shit to a lottttt of people. Will be shocked if he gets a happy ending. If he gets it though they've more than sown the seeds of redemption ( what is he like 50+ yo that's a long time to suffer) especially with how much we know about how fucked his upbringing was. His spiral felt almost inevitable due to those circumstances

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll be difficult to "stick the landing" for everybody. Reading stuff on the internet, I've seen people say how they want him to have a happier "redeemed" ending, whereas others speculate that he's going to commit suicide because he's an enormous piece of shit. It's going to be divisive and it'll be hard to believe that everyone will be happy with it.

That being said, I'm really not ready for this show to end either. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions, more than what you'd think if you just thought of it as "that Netflix horse-person show". The cast and crew have been amazing from the start and it'll be sad to put it to rest.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've done several rewatches of the show and yea... Bojack was an enormous piece of shit to a lottttt of people. Will be shocked if he gets a happy ending. If he gets it though they've more than sown the seeds of redemption ( what is he like 50+ yo that's a long time to suffer) especially with how much we know about how fucked his upbringing was. His spiral felt almost inevitable due to those circumstances
I feel the show will come to three conclusions:

1. Bojack will confront the consequences of his past mistakes. We as a audience know he genuinely changed from watching his journey. But everyone else doesn't. We will see him overcome this and accepts the past happened, he's not that person anymore, and moves on. People will come and go, things will change, but Bojack can feel content because he embraced who he was, who he is, and who he now wants to continue being.

2. Bojack will spiral to depression by losing everything. His sister, meaningful job at a college, friends, and so forth. To the point he will either commit suicide or attempt to commit suicide only to be saved by someone. Then left with a ominous moment of where do you go from here? Like a horse walking into a bar and the bartender asking "why the long face"?

3. Bojack will confront his mistakes and owns up to them. Loses everything. But finds inner peace in having less and is ready to build himself up and look for the next attempt to be happy.

I really hope it's none the three things I think and it's something else that blows my expectations and makes me think about it for years.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017

I hope not. In my mind it kind of parallels Mad Men in that many fans theorized Don would commit suicide, there were a lot of signs pointing to it too, but ultimately that would have felt like a cop out.

Nevertheless, I am very afraid of how this is going to pan out

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm less interested on Bojack's fate, than the rest of the cast (except for that cliffhanger).

Felt that he and Princess Carolyn never had a proper closure. Likely reading too much into it, but the video makes it seems like someone unexpected becomes more important in her life.
Still unsure about where Diane will end up.
Mr. Peanutbutter would be happy with anyone that is happy with him.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I'm less interested on Bojack's fate, than the rest of the cast (except for that cliffhanger).

Felt that he and Princess Carolyn never had a proper closure. Likely reading too much into it, but the video makes it seems like someone unexpected becomes more important in her life.
Still unsure about where Diane will end up.
Mr. Peanutbutter would be happy with anyone that is happy with him.
Feels like Mr Peanutbutter still needs one big reality check before the show ends

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I don't think Bojack offs himself or dies. A far bigger punishment is him having to live with the consequences of his mistakes, he doesn't lose everything/ everyone ( Diane has forgiven him for so much already as has Princess Carolyn) but he loses enough to remind himself daily of what a POS he was. Living out the rest of his life in peace

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Seems like the overarching theme of the show is how ugly selfishness is, so maybe they end the show by demonstrating the outcome of selflessness. In that regard, the ending of Bojack might not even center around the character of Bojack.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like Mr Peanutbutter still needs one big reality check before the show ends
His main trait is having embraced his happy-go-luck inner child to such degree, that good things just naturally happen to him. And yet that still has not been enough for him to keep a healthy relationship for long.
So, while he is an entertaining contrast to Bojack (with a background choke full of horrible experiences, that just get worse thanks to his attitude), the only thing left for him is having to actually fight for his family.

But honestly? None of his partners are a good fit. They all crave for something that he can't realistically provide; but more importantly, should not be forced to provide.
Not sure if I like where his arc *seems* to be taking him. But, it's all about the ride.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
His main trait is having embraced his happy-go-luck inner child to such degree, that good things just naturally happen to him. And yet that still has not been enough for him to keep a healthy relationship for long.
So, while he is an entertaining contrast to Bojack (with a background choke full of horrible experiences, that just get worse thanks to his attitude), the only thing left for him is having to actually fight for his family.

But honestly? None of his partners are a good fit. They all crave for something that he can't realistically provide; but more importantly, should not be forced to provide.
Not sure if I like where his arc *seems* to be taking him. But, it's all about the ride.

I mean he's in a state of arrested development, perpetually happy go lucky and it causes him to be attracted to women much younger than him and they eventually just outgrow him. He's probably with the worst example of childish naïveté with Pickles right now so I don't know how that's going to end.
" They were all so much fun before they met me" You're not a terrible person Mr. peanut butter you didn't kill their joy, they just matured beyond you. That and he has A startling lack of emotional awareness/empathy as shown in that Halloween episode where the same thing repeated over and over and over and over lol. It's a really interesting take on a toxic person because he's so positive and nice to everyone, but he's just so oblivious to the emotional needs of others. One of the most frustrating types of people to deal with being super close to because who will believe you when you vent about him? Everyone thinks he's perfect

Like the whole air of "I'm happy , aren't you happy? Of course you are this is great ! All this is great !" never listening to her, never picking up on emotional cues when he threw Diane her surprise party.

Last edited:

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's in a state of arrested development, perpetually happy go lucky and it causes him to be attracted to women much younger than him and they eventually just outgrow him. He's probably with the worst example of childish naïveté with Pickles right now so I don't know how that's going to end.
" They were all so much fun before they met me" You're not a terrible person Mr. peanut butter you didn't kill their joy, they just matured beyond you. That and he has A startling lack of emotional awareness/empathy as shown in that Halloween episode where the same thing repeated over and over and over and over lol. It's a really interesting take on a toxic person because he's so positive and nice to everyone, but he's just so oblivious to the emotional needs of others. One of the most frustrating types of people to deal with being super close to because who will believe you when you vent about him? Everyone thinks he's perfect

Like the whole air of "I'm happy , aren't you happy? Of course you are this is great ! All this is great !" never listening to her, never picking up on emotional cues when he threw Diane her surprise party.
That was a great description of him; fully agree on his unintentional toxicity. But Diane and Pickles outgrowing him means that their needs went beyond his natural scope.

So, the correct "message" should be: you need to grow up to better yourself, and be able to deal with hardships (including sentimental ones). Which he currently can't. Him being so oblivious seems an internal mechanism to avoid confrontations/dealing with the pesky details.
But at times it feels the story is cajoling him into: you need to grow up, to make/keep others happy at your side. Which, is pure undiluted bull.

Hope that's not the case, though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't read into the characters well enough to theorize what will/should happen to them.

That said, to me there's an important question: How will the show balance Bojack's desire to improve and all his self-hatred and all he's put himself through, and him learning/growing/finding happiness at the other side, with the fact that he caused irreparable, selfish, irredeemable harm to many people? Like, he might improve himself, but there's a tension that'll remain if that happens where the people he hurt won't get a similar salvation from the consequences of his actions, it'll stay with them.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I forget, has Bojack done anything that could get him actually arrested now when/if his past comes back to haunt him, or would it just be his reputation and livelihood at stake?

I'm not normally a big 'redemption' fan but I feel like he's suffered so goddamn much that I hope there's some degree of things turning out ok for him.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I forget, has Bojack done anything that could get him actually arrested now when/if his past comes back to haunt him, or would it just be his reputation and livelihood at stake?

I'm not normally a big 'redemption' fan but I feel like he's suffered so goddamn much that I hope there's some degree of things turning out ok for him.

I'd be more worried about him commiting suicide. The foreshadowing and themes of the show aren't set up for him to go to prison, they're set up for him to kill himself, like secretariat.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Serving alcohol to minors (Prom), reckless endangerment, obstruction of justice (Sarah Lynn's death and cover up), assault (Gina incident). Age of consent laws in New Mexico probably keep him safe from statutory rape charges (they made a point to emphasize that).

Izzwan

Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia
Wow I just finished season 2, judging from the replies in this thread I assume the show is going to be a lot darker.

Oct 27, 2017
What if he's already dead and it's telling a story from someone else perspective

I've seen the idea of all of the series being a flashback (like someone said, the bartender asking him "Why the long face?"), but I don't think that makes much sense. There's a ton of information that we as viewers see that a single, limited narrator couldn't know. Everything related to any character that is not BoJack, for instance. Like the whereabouts of the two journalists who are looking into Sarah Lynn's death, who don't know BoJack or any of the other main characters.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen the idea of all of the series being a flashback (like someone said, the bartender asking him "Why the long face?"), but I don't think that makes much sense. There's a ton of information that we as viewers see that a single, limited narrator couldn't know. Everything related to any character that is not BoJack, for instance. Like the whereabouts of the two journalists who are looking into Sarah Lynn's death, who don't know BoJack or any of the other main characters.
What if it's Diane writing "The Life and Death of BoJack Horseman"? She could have gathered information after BoJack dies, including accounts of the journalists who are looking into SL's death. Seeing as the series started with her writing his biography...

Oct 26, 2017
What if it's Diane writing "The Life and Death of BoJack Horseman"? She could have gathered information after BoJack dies, including accounts of the journalists who are looking into SL's death. Seeing as the series started with her writing his biography...
I think there's too much obscure information for even that.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I personally think that goes against the whole messaging of the show. Plus based on this post (by a translator for the show):

Hello!

Last time doing this =)

Seen it all, and it's beautiful. I feel some story lines felt a bit unfinished, but the ones that matter the most are neatly wrapped up and the emotional payoffs...

Nearly cried a few times working on this. I'm really happy to have worked on this show's translation and happy I got to see it ending on such a high note.

You're in for a ride.
I doubt it will be the case.