• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Boeing to pay $2.5bn to settle US criminal charges over 737 Max aircraft conspiracy - US Department of Justice

www.bbc.co.uk

Boeing to pay $2.5bn over 737 Max conspiracy - BBC News

The firm is to pay $2.5bn to settle US criminal charges over the 737 Max aircraft conspiracy.

The Boeing Company (Boeing) has entered into an agreement with the Department of Justice to resolve a criminal charge related to a conspiracy to defraud the Federal Aviation Administration's Aircraft Evaluation Group (FAA AEG) in connection with the FAA AEG's evaluation of Boeing's 737 MAX airplane.

Boeing, a U.S.-based multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and sells commercial airplanes to airlines worldwide, entered into a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA) in connection with a criminal information filed today in the Northern District of Texas. The criminal information charges the company with one count of conspiracy to defraud the United States. Under the terms of the DPA, Boeing will pay a total criminal monetary amount of over $2.5 billion, composed of a criminal monetary penalty of $243.6 million, compensation payments to Boeing's 737 MAX airline customers of $1.77 billion, and the establishment of a $500 million crash-victim beneficiaries fund to compensate the heirs, relatives, and legal beneficiaries of the 346 passengers who died in the Boeing 737 MAX crashes of Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302.

"The tragic crashes of Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 exposed fraudulent and deceptive conduct by employees of one of the world's leading commercial airplane manufacturers," said Acting Assistant Attorney General David P. Burns of the Justice Department's Criminal Division. "Boeing's employees chose the path of profit over candor by concealing material information from the FAA concerning the operation of its 737 Max airplane and engaging in an effort to cover up their deception. This resolution holds Boeing accountable for its employees' criminal misconduct, addresses the financial impact to Boeing's airline customers, and hopefully provides some measure of compensation to the crash-victims' families and beneficiaries."

"The misleading statements, half-truths, and omissions communicated by Boeing employees to the FAA impeded the government's ability to ensure the safety of the flying public," said U.S. Attorney Erin Nealy Cox for the Northern District of Texas. "This case sends a clear message: The Department of Justice will hold manufacturers like Boeing accountable for defrauding regulators – especially in industries where the stakes are this high."

"Today's deferred prosecution agreement holds Boeing and its employees accountable for their lack of candor with the FAA regarding MCAS," said Special Agent in Charge Emmerson Buie Jr. of the FBI's Chicago Field Office. "The substantial penalties and compensation Boeing will pay, demonstrate the consequences of failing to be fully transparent with government regulators. The public should be confident that government regulators are effectively doing their job, and those they regulate are being truthful and transparent."

www.justice.gov

Boeing Charged with 737 Max Fraud Conspiracy and Agrees to Pay over $2.5 Billion

The Boeing Company (Boeing) has entered into an agreement with the Department of Justice to resolve a criminal charge related to a conspiracy to defraud the Federal Aviation Administration’s Aircraft Evaluation Group (FAA AEG) in connection with the FAA AEG’s evaluation of Boeing’s 737 MAX airplane.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, what a real punishment--what is that like 1% of their total earnings each year?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
What would my punishment be if I purposefully got people killed to make more money? After all, corporations are people.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
As expected, people can kill for profit if it's for a big corporation, it will only result into a fine. Individuals don't face consequences.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure businesses have money put aside for just these situations. Which means businesses see fines like this as an expected business expense and nothing else.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
No doubt they wanted this done before the Biden admin came in. What an embarrassment. The details of this story are so egregious is should led to prison time for people at Boeing and the FAA.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
There should have been jail sentences for the CEO and management but thats asking too much I guess.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Where are all of those who called us idiots for wanting the plane grounded back in 2019? I remember that thread well. I couldn't believe the level of fanboyism for a multinational corporation.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
They receive hundreds of millions of dollars per year in tax breaks. This is meaningless since no people were held responsible.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
This is why companies will continue breaking the law cause if they are caught just a fine and if not they make billions anyway.

This is what America is. Corporations above everything else and they are getting bigger and bigger.

I can't believe no one went to jail over this.