• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Bad deal Boeing. DOD will pay for cost overruns for expansion of scope, raw material cost changes, and inflationary impacts.

Absolutely insane that cost overruns are 1.1 Bil. Insane. It isn't R&D because engineering is cheap. It's either re-work or something.

4 billion for modification of existing equipment is insane. That's like 5 LPDs, including engineering.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why so much of the focus is on Trump in this. Presumably the USAF set the design requirements, and Boeing agreed to the contract. I'll admit there's a good chance Trump requested the upgrade thinking he'd get to use it himself (without knowing more of the history), but this thread is so weird acting like Trump pulled a master scam on Boeing.
100% agreed.
Their CEO is making excuses and CNBC is helping Boeing frame the story that way because they are garbage, but this is not about Trump. Boeing fucked up and for once it's not taxpayers who have to foot the bill.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Lol boeing. they thought they had a deal doing a fixed price contract. There is a lot of shit that has to go right for them to work. Not even shocked they are now eating a shit load of cost now and the project is already 1.1 billion over. We're they that desperate for a win back then? I have no idea why they would do a fixed price on this at all.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It isn't R&D because engineering is cheap. It's either re-work or something.

It takes a ton of people not just engineers to "build" anything airplane related, even for efficient companies.

And Boeing is insanely inefficient.

But yes, some of their inefficiency comes from lots of re-work being a part of everything they do and not just from an engineering standpoint. Their processes/software/everything internally is just a crapshoot.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Boeing might as well be a government department with how much taxpayer money they receive. But since they're part of the parasite club they get to privatize their profits and socialize their losses.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Imagine losing money on a government contract and explaining that to your shareholders.

"So let me get this straight, they gave you $4 billion dollars, and you want us to eat $1 billion every year to complete this project that the current guy in office never asked for?"
Imagine killing 346 people, alienating every pilot on the planet because you decided it would cost money to train them to use your new aircraft and instead decided to embrace racism to explain two literally unavoidable crashes, paying $20B in fines and eating $60B in returned and cancelled airplanes, and explaining that to your shareholders.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually fine with the way the deal turned out.

Trump lost the election and that screwed Boeing for making a dumb deal with him.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
iirc NASA doesn't do this with a lot of their contract work, which is why a lot of stuff goes over budget.

Oct 27, 2017
Why doing that dance if you could just admit you haven't read the article.
I'm convinced you're just trolling me at this point, because I honestly have no idea what you're talking about and I'm tired of trying to even understand.

I'm saying I don't understand why Boeing would make a deal on Air Force One modifications, that seemingly only Trump would care about, with what sounds like a bad deal, when he likely wouldn't be in office when it was done. If he was still in office maybe they couldn't done something to recoup their losses, but it seems like they're just going to eat them

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't they modify newer planes, what's the 747 replacement, 777 or something?

Boeing? Nothing. 777 is a twin jet. Only the Airbus A380 is a replacement, and that's also EOL'ed.

No one wants wide body jets with 4 engines anymore.
Yeah and the Air Force is not allowed to buy a non-American made airplane anyway (and just imagine the PR disaster).

On top of that, about the age of the airplane... The 747-8 has been in production since only 2008 while their most recent model, the 787, has been in production since 2009 so it's not like the 747-8 is that much older.

Oct 27, 2017
Modern Boeing's engineering and managerial incompetence strikes yet again, but now it's out of their own pocket book and not the taxpayer. Fine by me.

Though this is nowhere near as hilarious as their abject failure to deliver on KC-46 ariel tanker. It's fixed-price much like with Air Force 1, but the overruns are so extreme at this point that it's costed Boeing more than the contract itself was worth.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
iirc NASA doesn't do this with a lot of their contract work, which is why a lot of stuff goes over budget.
Right. Doing it fixed price is smart from a taxpayer perspective. This cost overrun is usually eaten by the government with no fanfare, so if anything this is good contracting work. I'm assuming Trump actually had very little to do with it, if anything, and it was awarded by professionals. I'll admit I have no interest in the article to confirm or deny those suspicious lol

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
The timelines for these planes don't even make any sense from trump's perspective...

If they're delivered in 2024, it would be the end of his second term, should he have won (or successfully overturned the vote).

I guess the next step in his cunning plan would have been to go full dictator and keep hold of the throne so he could finally fly these monstrosities.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
This story is wild...

That's a lot of R&D for two planes. Did Trump ask for the planes to be made of solid gold? Will they have their own McDonald's franchises on board? Maybe they wanted something high-tech like a nuclear powered cloaking device?

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/27/boeing-lost-billion-dollars-on-trump-air-force-one-plane-deal.html
Having briefly worked on the project, it is not remotely as simple as that. I will leave it at that but this snarky bullshit
The timelines for these planes don't even make any sense from trump's perspective...

If they're delivered in 2024, it would be the end of his second term, should he have won (or successfully overturned the vote).

I guess the next step in his cunning plan would have been to go full dictator and keep hold of the throne so he could finally fly these monstrosities.
You do realize the planes as is were built before Wi-Fi was a thing and are nearing operational life expectancy. They had to begin negotiating back then. So much of the current Air Force One tech wise didn't exist back then and has been jerry rigged in.

Sep 15, 2020
Problems at Boeing started LONG before Trump. They're more foolish than Trump out of the fact that they signed a deal with Trump. Trump won on this one.

100+ years company that makes airplanes losing money

TV man becomes president, keeps making money.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
how do you get 4 bil and can't update 2 planes lol, boeing is just incompetent reincarnate at this point. Can't get anything right, all of their defense and NASA projects under-delivered also

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
After watching that Boeing expose on Netflix of the management covering up and looking the other way on the deficiencies of the MAX plane, fuck Boeing.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
He's upset that us taxpayers dont have to pay for this trepidation. F that.
Well we'll actually pay for it on the back end in the form of lower tax revenue. They'll write off the losses on the planes against other income.

And they may end up laying people off so there would be additional tax revenues lost there as well. Maybe cut back from planned investment.