• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
tenor.gif

I've been watching King of the Hill on Hulu and I really adore how unique Bobby Hill is compared to most other TV kids (animated & live-action). Unlike so many other child characters, Bobby's character and storylines don't feel like a bad approximation of what a child's life is supposed to be like. His quirks are played for laughs in certain episodes but the show never turns him into a meme or gag. I can't think of any other character who compares in this way.

Do you disagree? Who's your favorite?

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
That thread cover is perfect.

I also agree and have nothing to add. I love him because he's not idealized and neither is his sense of youth. I find him very relatable.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
<-- check out his OP chip eating technique (I guess mobile users have to look up ^).

But yeah, Bobby's great. I like that episode where he became a rodeo clown and he had that big climactic scene where he had to save people in danger, and he saved them by doing his Yiddish "vat are you talking about?" routine to the bulls.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
The Buddhist episode is when j really fell in love with both the show and Bobby.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
True words. Bobby is a fantastic character (most of the characters on KOTH are fantastic) and is a super funny and realistic representation of a young boy.

He really is fantastic but I wish the episodes where his relationship were the focus weren't so repetitive.

Bobby gets into some weird hobby->Hank disapproves of it->Hank either eventually accepts it or something weird happens to make Bobby quit on his own.

I understand the reason why that made sense as a pattern for their relationship, but the sheer volume of it got grating.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
oh com on, fine i'll do it.

"thats my purse, i don't know you"

"there's some milk in the fridge thats about to go bad.... and there it goes"

"i've got gout"

seriously though it literally just occured to me when he and joseph start searching "white heritage" and they start reading white supremacy websites. Its too real. :(

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
The fallen Bobby arc was hard to watch, but I still quote "I'm you're little candy man" all the time. "That's my purse" is also great.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird, I really like this show, though never go out of my way to see it...there's an episode when Hank sells their old truck and i think Bobby runs away, eventually Hank finds him and Bobby snaps at Hank for blaming him for "killing" his old truck and not realizing his own feelings/memories/attachments to it. For some reason that sticks out

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
That's my purse! I don't know you!

King of the Hill was pretty good at avoiding Flanderizing its characters. Especially Bobby and Peggy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
King of the Hill is an underrated treasure. I remember being a little tentative about it back when it started after the Simpsons, and I thought, eh, this isn't very good... but then... it really just hit so many heart warming chords.

OP
OP
Maximum Spider

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
King of the Hill is an underrated treasure. I remember being a little tentative about it back when it started after the Simpsons, and I thought, eh, this isn't very good... but then... it really just hit so many heart warming chords.
I think it's the ultimate TV comfort food. I've never watched a show that can be viewed both passively and with complete attention.