• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which do you prefer?

• Boba Tea.

Votes: 326 34.3%
  • Milkshake.

Votes: 624 65.7%

• Total voters

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Never heard of boba tea before this, but it sounds unpleasant. I don't want little balls of tapioca in... anything, but especially not ruining tea.

Milkshake all the way.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I live in the fucking land of boba and I would trade it all to get one of those super artificial Burger King milkshakes.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Ohhhhh nonono lol The Happy Lemon global chain is a good example of it (milk tea w/foam in front row, tea w/foam in back row).

79821391_105592060944340_6492832709973377024_o.jpg

Tea with salted cheese? 🤢

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bubble tea is just cold tea with milk and 90% sugar.
Milkshake is superior in every way

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I'm gonna have a Boba today.

Only because a Boba shop is right near I work whereas a milkshake place is blocks away

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Strange poll.
Milkshake is much more delicious (if your body can handle the milk)
Boba is much more forgiving (if your mouth can handle balls)

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Boba. I always struggle to finish a glass of milkshake. It's just too sweet for me to finish in one go.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Milk shake. I think boba tea relies too much on the novelty. I think of it like dip n dots. It's neat, but not really something I consider better than alternatives. Any flavor of boba tea I can make into a milkshake. And if you asked me do I want mango water with balls in it or a mango milk shake, I'm gonna pick the milk shake. Also, you can get a boba milk shake, so it wins.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Green Jasmine, honeydew, taro etc. - boba tea is bomb. Also, noticed some places make fruit drinks with popping juice filled bubbles, peach with mango bubbles was great. Milkshakes too heavy for me.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
i don't doubt there's some areas (probably with a decent asian population) of the certain states with good boba shops but i'm assuming that's a small fraction of the US and europe.

i haven't lived in the states for years but i would be surprised if suburban omaha had much exposure to boba vs. milkshakes. i'd be happy to be wrong, though.

That's not what I'm saying at all, look up San Gabriel Valley aka 626 in the States. It literally has better boba than 99% of Asia, not just some good boba shops. There are some good ones in Taiwan that rivals or just a bit better than what 626 offers, but that's it.

And for the guy that mentioned bay area, sorry but all the brands you listed are trash tier as the other dude pointed out...

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I'm saying at all, look up San Gabriel Valley aka 626 in the States. It literally has better boba than 99% of Asia, not just some good boba shops. There are some good ones in Taiwan that rivals or just a bit better than what 626 offers, but that's it.
Ooh, will have to swing by that area the next time I'm in California. Having said that, nothing beats the sheer value of a cup of boba in Taiwan. What can go for 5 USD on average here, you can get for little over 1 USD, there.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
in taiwan, so bubble tea is about a hundred times easier to find than a good milkshake, but they're too different for me to choose. but I actually would say milk tea without bubbles > milkshake > bubble tea most of the time.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
cmon people, it's obviously milkshake.

All things being equal, like if cost, availability, dietary affect, etc are the same, anybody who is choosing boba tea over a milkshake is a loon.

If it wasn't going to kill me, I'd have a milk shake every fucking day of my life. But it'll kill me so I can't.

I only get boba tea like... maybe... once or twice a year. It's pretty good though, I'd just never chose it over a milkshake.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't expect most ERA people to vote for bubble tea since i don't think it's as accessible in the western hemisphere. i know you can get it but i don't think there's as much variety/quality as you can get in asia.
Any 'Western' city that has a large Asian disapora presence and/or a large Asian student community will very likely have some form of boba tea outlet or two.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I like the taste of milkshakes a little bit more, but they're much heavier and I can only do milkshakes a couple of times per year since it's pretty much an entire meal.

Boba/bubble tea is much lighter and I could have it a few times a week if I wanted to so I went with that.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Boba is great on ice cream but not in tea.
I would totally drink a milkshake that had Boba in it. That would be way better.

Anyways, I voted milkshake.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love boba, but nothing beats a nice cold milkshake. Especially of the cookies and cream variety.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think Boba tea is disgusting. Like I have never thought to myself, "Mmmm...this drink is so good mmm...oh yay a gummy ball object is now in my mouth swishing around mmmm"

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't vote in the poll because I like bubble tea in milkshake/smoothie form (with no pearls). And as a Vancouverite, the term "boba" irrationally angers me. No ones calls it that here.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Hmmm, tea with nasty ass balls, or ice cream and milk and candies?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Love me some milkshake, but I love anything that contains tea more, so Boba Tea for sure.
Pretty sure it's less diabetes-inducing as well, sometimes when I see some milkshakes, I can feel my blood sugar level rising dangerously already. That been said, some Boba Tea are hella filthy in that department as well for that matter.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I can't vote in the poll because I like bubble tea in milkshake/smoothie form (with no pearls). And as a Vancouverite, the term "boba" irrationally angers me. No ones calls it that here.
I know there's been a movement away from calling it 波霸奶茶 or Bōbà nǎichá but that's more because it's slang for big breasts but I'm surprised in Vancouver its not used like it has been in the US. 珍珠奶茶 or zhēnzhū nǎichá (Pearl milk tea) is apparently most common in Taiwan. Technically bubble is the only term that doesn't actually make any sense/isn't derived from anything in Mandarin.

Edit: nevermind digging a bit in and bubble comes from Signapore specifically 泡泡茶 or pào pào chá

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Milkshake, I haven't tried much Boba but I wasn't a big fan of the texture of the balls at the bottom so it put me off them. I need to try different kinds I guess.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Boba because I like the pearls, and get them in regular teas at our place. Way I get mine, it's not a dessert drink. Milkshakes are fantastic.. when I can get through them. Sugar content is waaaay too high, end up feeling sick. I grew up with "finish your plate" drilled in from a younger age, so if I buy a thing I'm going to eat/drink the whole thing.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Tea with salted cheese? 🤢

Or just salted foam, yes. Can't knock it till you tried it. People put milk in their tea all the time, so this is sort of the same thing. Can't really taste the cheese unless you drink the skim at the top, but you can either do that or shake to mix it up.

And as a Vancouverite, the term "boba" irrationally angers me. No ones calls it that here.

Canada only just calls them "bubble tea" (and whenever I see this, I feel like it's probably a powder and not the actual thing). I think it's still 'boba' if you go to say, places in Richmond though, I think?

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
If I were still in my teens or early 20s I'd vote milkshake without hesitation, but they're just too sweet for me these days. Hell, milk tea is almost too sweet for me these days too, but I can still enjoy one on occasion. Milkshakes are more of a once a year indulgence for me now.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know there's been a movement away from calling it 波霸奶茶 or Bōbà nǎichá but that's more because it's slang for big breasts but I'm surprised in Vancouver its not used like it has been in the US. 珍珠奶茶 or zhēnzhū nǎichá (Pearl milk tea) is apparently most common in Taiwan. Technically bubble is the only term that doesn't actually make any sense/isn't derived from anything in Mandarin.
"Milk tea" is also common on menus here.

Canada only just calls them "bubble tea" (and whenever I see this, I feel like it's probably a powder and not the actual thing). I think it's still 'boba' if you go to say, places in Richmond though, I think?
I don't recall that in Richmond but I'm not there much. I'm only going by what I have seen written in English, too.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Bubble tea is more accurate/precise though...

From my experience though, if I see "bubble tea" it's often not made from real tea, so the connotation from the name strikes me as "oh, it's not actual (boba) tea in this case". Trying to think if I've seen anywhere around the US that actually calls it that.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've only ever heard it called "bubble tea". Trying to name it after Boba Fett isn't going to make me run out to buy one.

That said, I've never had it, and I don't know if there's anywhere around here that sells it, and I probably wouldn't go there anyway because of COVID.

Milkshakes, however, I can make myself.