• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
How many players would you be playing with?
We're playing with 2 players sometimes 3.

Before someone else beats me to the punch: Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion

That out of the way, I'm a huge fan of Lords of Waterdeep and have had a lot of success introducing it to people who wanted to get past the "Catan" stage of boardgaming.
I've heard Gloomhaven is a 6 hour long game and that kind of frightens me. I don't think I'm ready for that sort of commitment yet.

Also I just remembered we had a copy of Raiders of the North Sea since my partner thought it looked like a lot of fun. We'll go ahead and give it a go. If we like it we'll try out Lords of Waterdeep too.

One of you guys recommended Pandemic and my partner thought it was a really horrible concept considering how frightened she was of the Corona Virus. Also I don't think she likes cooperative games.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

I've heard Gloomhaven is a 6 hour long game and that kind of frightens me. I don't think I'm ready for that sort of commitment yet.

Also I just remembered we had a copy of Raiders of the North Sea since my partner thought it looked like a lot of fun. We'll go ahead and give it a go. If we like it we'll try out Lords of Waterdeep too.

One of you guys recommended Pandemic and my partner thought it was a really horrible concept considering how frightened she was of the Corona Virus. Also I don't think she likes cooperative games.

6 hours is an exaggeration... One map can take anywhere between I'll say 45mins to 2 hours at most. But it's definitely a step up in complexity ;) (and definitely jaws of the lion, not the full gloomhaven).

Flaros

Oct 27, 2017

There are a lot of variations of Pandemic, Fall of Rome for example is centered around barbarians, rather than diseases. Ghost stories is another fun co-op game, it is brutally difficult to win though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

You can try Forbidden Island, it basically uses the same system as pandemic but it doesn't have the uncomfortable theme.

For 2-3 players at a beginner level besides for the titles you and others have mentioned I'd suggest

Love Letter: Quick and cheap card game that is always a hit whenever I bring it out

Nmbr 9: use number tiles to try and build a stack and score the most points

Santorini: move around a board trying to box the other player in, or move up to the too floor before the building is finished

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

While I haven't tried Jaws of the Lion yet (waiting for those reusable stickers!), Gloomhaven proper takes awhile to sort the pieces for the first time, but set up for a scenario shouldn't take much over 30 minutes when you're familiar with the pieces. As others have said, the actual game can take between 45 minutes and 2hours, which is still an investment but not 6 hours. That said, there's a bit to keep track of in Gloomhaven, so I might save it until you cut your teeth just a bit more.

If you're looking for some games that are quick to set up, I'd highly recommend Cairn (2 player game that's a bit like chess). Each player has 5 figure pieces, there are a few cardboard tokens to sort (less than 20), and then you're off! Each time a player takes a simple turn, they're choosing an action token (say, move vertically/horizontally), and flipping it to reveal a different action (in this case, move diagonally). Earning a point also means placing a new space on the board with it's own unique rule you can activate if you're standing on it. So the board state of the game is changing, but the variables are kept pretty straightforward and simple. It's good, quick fun. Generally a 30 minute round, and pretty quick to learn/teach thanks to a small rule book.

If you want something that has similar fun takes on evolving play space, but would be good for 3 players who want something directly competitive, Inis is a fun, odd game that you should look into. Like Cairn, you're essentially setting the game up just by taking the basic pieces out of the box. The rest of the board is built over the course of a game as random tiles are drawn when relevant. It's not exactly a war game . . . but it's in that vein. I highly recommend checking it out and it's designed by the same guy who made Cairn. Some of the sensibilities are similar, but they really play different because their end-goals are so different.

We also really like Whitehall Mysteries: a Hidden Movement game where one player is Jack the Ripper and the others are a set of investigators trying to find him. Jack starts the game by picking 4 locations on the board on in each quadrant, where he'll drop off evidence. He has a limited number of turns to make each drop, and he has to drop them all without getting caught. The investigators are of course trying to find his trail, but it tends to be effervesent. It's a thrilling cat and mouse chase where as Jack, you'll go from laughing confidently at the investigators because they're 5 turns behind you, to panicking because they're one circle to your left and damn it, how can they not know where you are? As investigators, some stretches might seem like grasping in the dark, but when you find the first thread of a trail in several turns, that feeling is electric. The number of investigator characters never changes (always 3), but the game plays best with 3-4 total players so that Jack can listen into their plans. 1v1 is fun too, but it's often a bit quieter and cerebral.

Oh, and engine builders like Wingspan and Everdell can be a lot of fun. Because these games aren't directly competative (you really can't screw anyone over), they're great for players who are just getting into more complex games. In both games, you're drawing cards and using the actions on them to, hopefully, create chain-effects that let you play bigger, better cards. Because they aren't so competitive, you're more competing with yourself and the options you're given in any one turn. There's always a satisfaction in making the choice that seems right to you, and the number of choices is simple enough (especially in Wingspan), that deciding "This is probably best for me, right now" is always possible, but rarely a "sure thing." They're different in a number of ways, but you really would only need one for a bit since they overlap in some key ways.

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
All of Massive Darkness 1 & 2 plus the Zombicide Black Plague crossover stuff is probably right around a thousand miniatures. I own it all (KS for the sequel pending of course). It's ridiculous and I am an idiot for owning it all.

FOMO is a real thing, and CMON knows it. Ours is a heavy burden to bear. In a most literal sense.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This has already been said but go for JotL not Gloomhaven. No games go for 6hrs, it's closer to 1hr per scenario and the game is amazing. Buy with confidence.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wingspan is awesome with 2 players

how is pandemic with 2 players? doable? fun?

Pandemic is great with two, including pandemic legacy (how I played it). The trick is that it is quite a bit easier than with four.

So just depends if you are ok with things mostly being under control, or the type to adjust the balance a bit. But if you are just starting out it will be fine either way.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
RQKPPK5.jpg

Fun police are here. Stop criminal! Put that mini away!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
FOMO is a real thing, and CMON knows it. Ours is a heavy burden to bear. In a most literal sense.

To my credit, FOMO is not something I suffer from. I either like something or I do not. If I like it, I want it all. Mentally imagining what a FULL game of Massive Darkness would even look like is hard to do thanks to all the moving parts involved. It has over 70 bosses and around 40 different enemy races to fight, most with their own leaders and subtypes. I'm going to need an extra table just to organize the mobs that will continually be put on and then immediately taken off the table. But man, once it is all painted, organized, and ready to play it will be the most epic miniature based dungeon crawler ever made. Damn, this makes me want to get painting more of MD1 in preparation for 2...

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I should get a copy of Waterdeep... been wanting to get something that is easy to teach and a "step up" from the introduction games.

It's a great game for beginners. I don't think it's that much more advanced than your typical gateway games. I'm just not sure I think it's fun enough to play regularly. If you get the expansion as well it's a different matter. The corruption mechanic is a great risk/reward addition.

Last edited:

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK

As I said on discord this year for me is one of self reflection. I'm one of the worst, if not the worst, for wanting to get more euros. If I'm purchasing something I want it to contribute to my collection, and more importantly, actually get played. I've already cast a genuinely critical eye over Darwins Journey and Tanners Trail both of which are either too formulaic or too similar to their other better works to genuinely consider buying it.

So far the only things in my periphery are:
- Carnegie as it's a genuinely different approach to action selection and a odd follow mechanic.
- Dominant Species Marine it's DS but this time you can play it in a couple of hours.
- Radlands as Roxley 2P games are my Kryptonite.
- Ultimate Russian Railroads as I sold First Class (it's card based cousin) after playing it and wanting the superior board version.

Thankfully I'll have space for them as I've already sold 20 games since the start of the year with more to go I think.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

I can't recommend Gloomhaven, even Jaws of the Lion, as a next step. It's a bit too much of a commitment for someone just getting into bigger games. Those scenarios are more like 2-3 hours, losing them feels pretty bad (like you just lost 2-3 hours of your life), and the difficulty has some extreme spikes. I do enjoy many aspects of the game, but it does have problems.

I would recommend something like Wingspan, Terraforming Mars, Castles of Burgundy, or maybe Spirit Island on the heavier end.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I don't see colour...

Okay that's out of touch and a bit naive but...

...so I call all my black friends n*****s.

☹️

I bought Teotihuacan in a sale a few months ago, and haven't even gotten around to playing it yet. Now I'm just side-eyeing it.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
My Dice Throne Adventures and Season One Rerolled just popped up on the UPS site and says the package will be here Thursday, so that's exciting. I've got a ton of stuff I've been waiting for tracking numbers on for a week or so now: Canvas, Dice Throne S1 and Adventures, Apex Therapod Deckbuilding Game Complete, and Overboss. Glad one of them is finally moving.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay that's out of touch and a bit naive but...

I bought Teotihuacan in a sale a few months ago, and haven't even gotten around to playing it yet. Now I'm just side-eyeing it.
Yeah I've got 2 of his games I haven't even played yet. I figure they got my money so I'll play them and enjoy that for all the work all the other people put into them. But I won't support him in the future

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've got 2 of his games I haven't even played yet. I figure they got my money so I'll play them and enjoy that for all the work all the other people put into them. But I won't support him in the future

I think I am in the same boat. It's an incredibly dumb thing to do/say. I am not going to sell or burn my old games of his but I think the publisher did the right thing and I think I won't support him in the future.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna pretend I haven't enjoyed Teotihuacan as a game, and I own it and will play it again. The game always had problems with cultural appropriation (like many games do) that we tend to look past to just engage with the game mechanics.

It's been a damn week for European boardgamers in general, between Phil Eklund denying COVID19 is a pandemic, to dudes defending yellowface on BoardGameGeek. Tascini's comments are similarly indefensible.

But I would suggest more so than selling your games by these designers, which are ultimately just a product that is going to another person, I would consider ways to cut these designers out of their social standing in the game world. Stop recommending their games, for one. Take them to task, even just a little bit, when they push their bullshit online.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a damn week for European boardgamers in general, between Phil Eklund denying COVID19 is a pandemic, to dudes defending yellowface on BoardGameGeek. Tascini's comments are similarly indefensible.
That's hardly the worst opinion I've heard from Ekland. He's climate change denier, that also wrote an essay titled, "In Defense of British Colonialism", which he forced into the rule book from someone else's game, against their wishes.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
That's hardly the worst opinion I've heard from Ekland. He's climate change denier, that also wrote an essay titled, "In Defense of British Colonialism", which he forced into the rule book from someone else's game, against their wishes.
Yeah, it's been pretty well known that Eklund has terrible opinions. His games are filled with awful designer notes and Cole Wehrle has been on record of not being fond of this. That's why this essay shows up in the original Pax Pamir and while Wehrle does still acknowledge Eklund's contribution to his game, this essay pointedly does not appear in the second edition.

And for the most part, Eklund is a pretty good designer but you'll be able to find games by other designers that do something similar. The main exception is High Frontier, and I'm still torn about whether to pick that one up.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
My Dice Throne Adventures and Season One Rerolled just popped up on the UPS site and says the package will be here Thursday, so that's exciting. I've got a ton of stuff I've been waiting for tracking numbers on for a week or so now: Canvas, Dice Throne S1 and Adventures, Apex Therapod Deckbuilding Game Complete, and Overboss. Glad one of them is finally moving.
I cancelled my order today (if it goes through). I don't thik I have anyone to play it with...

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's been pretty well known that Eklund has terrible opinions. His games are filled with awful designer notes and Cole Wehrle has been on record of not being fond of this. That's why this essay shows up in the original Pax Pamir and while Wehrle does still acknowledge Eklund's contribution to his game, this essay pointedly does not appear in the second edition.

And for the most part, Eklund is a pretty good designer but you'll be able to find games by other designers that do something similar. The main exception is High Frontier, and I'm still torn about whether to pick that one up.
If you want a High Frontier substitute, I've found Leaving Earth to be a more compelling space race game. High Frontier is essentially an auction game with annoying math thrown in.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
My Bloodborne All-In pledge arrived five days early!

Played through the first campaign (3 chapters) in the base game. Pretty easy to get to the table and I think I mostly played it correctly. It really is about 45 minutes per chapter though the first two I ended up doing none of the side stuff. I didn't do it on purpose as it felt like I just stumbled upon final part of the hunt.

I will admit...
the end of the 2nd chapter felt cheap. Unless I did boss movement wrong I just easily kitted the boss to the location as described. It never had a chance to hit me. Though the next chapter Cleric Beasts moves FOUR and it is immediately on you!

I really like the layout of the game with a chapter card that is like "do this until x happens and if you move to this spot, read this card but if you go this spot, read this card but if you..." Don't know if that is how Mage Knight is (never played it) but I like how this smoothly plays out.

Yes, I died. A lot, but mainly when fighting the bosses. I feel like you do damage to the boss, die, and then hope you can come back to knock the boss to a new phase before their health resets. It has a nice flow and is a decent compromise to the video game.

I need to look up if I should bother trying to do a carry over from campaign to campaign. I don't think you are supposed to but I might try it out at least with items (not hand). Almost feel like there are too many character options compared to amount of campaigns. There are 12-13 hunter options but maybe 11 campaigns not including Chalice Dungeons. But I suppose it is good they have all the weapons (minus the DLC).

fenners

Oct 27, 2017

I was gonna say the same - the pandemic thing wasn't even the worst I'd read this week..

Jul 19, 2020
Seems Burgle Bros. 2 is finally shipping to backers in the coming days after all the Covid-19 delays and the pre-orders will start delivering in February. Can't wait, first is a personal favorite with my friends and I've been looking forward to this for the best part of a year now.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I got my wife into Zombicide while we have been stuck at home so much this year. After playing through Black Plague, Wulfsburg, and Green Horde, we were ready for something a little new. So, I got her Gloomhaven for Christmas:

Only a few missions in, but, this is fucking cool. A bit overwhelming at first, especially for her since Zombicide was the first boardgame she has ever really played. That game is nice and simple, so seemed perfect. This was more diving into the deep end of the pool. But, after the first scenario, we feel like we have a good grasp on things.

Luckily we have a space we can just leave it out. Though, I am going to have to make a top of some sort for the table cause the cat is enjoying the table being there as well. Have one of those fancy organizers coming tomorrow. Gonna be a fun few hours gluing that bitch together.

Random question for any GH players here. What is up with Forgotten Circles? Is that something for after we finish the main game, or something I could buy now and just throw into the main game? It's "on sale" for $25 at amazon right now. Granted this stuff seems like it is always on sale.
I have to ask. Where did you get that table?

EQLibriM

Oct 27, 2017
does anyone else (almost) solely pick out games based on their appearance?
anything medieval is an instant buy for me (thank you sheriff of nottingham)

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
The art in games draws me in. Sometimes too much. I have to make sure that there is a good game, not just a beautiful one.

Also, Hans Im Gluck responded regarding Tascini's comments:
boardgamegeek.com

Statement regarding racist remarks | Marco Polo II: In the Service of the Khan

Statement regarding racist remarks We have been passed a discussion (by bits), in which a game designer of the Marco Polo series (Daniele Tascini) had made racist remarks. We want to clarify, that we do in no way identify with and distance ourselves from this statement. There is no reason,
We will not further publish the Marco Polo series and cancel all current orders from our partners (we do not sell our games ourselves).
As long as we don't feel like (and Daniele Tascini has not openly proven that) a true shift in attitude has taken place and a sincere apology is present, we will not change this. In addition, we will of course not realize any new projects together with Mr. Tascini.

For this, we want to apologize to the co-designers: Simone Luciani and Studio Giochi, and also to HiG's designers.
We believe, that the games themselves do not contain offensive content. If they do, please let us know.
This is also why we ask you, not to punish small retailers – which are facing rough times anyways – and still buy the games of this series.

Any and all revenues which HiG will be receiving for the series will from now on be donated to one or more organizations, that focus on the topic of racism.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
me and the wife have been playing a ton of Cartographers lately. I really like it.

do you guys have some recommendations for card games we can play on the couch?

love letter, Fox in the forest and duet version have been our go to's.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
The Castle of Mad King Ludwig KS pledges w/shipping to Canada cost: $134, $164, and $222 USD after shipping for the various pledges. Jeez. It's a fine game, and I already own the old version (and the app) but that's a lot for a shinier version!