• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blank

Oct 27, 2017
so I bought Gloomhaven for $85 on amazon, anything I should know/recommended "learn to play" guides/videos? How drop in/drop out friendly is it for multiplayer?

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
so I bought Gloomhaven for $85 on amazon, anything I should know/recommended "learn to play" guides/videos? How drop in/drop out friendly is it for multiplayer?

Probably the most drop-in friendly RPG-in-a-box game there is.

Not sure about rules videos but I highly recommend you check this out for storage.

boardgamegeek.com

Y.A.S.S (Yet Another Storage Solution) | Gloomhaven

A few people have messaged me asking for pictures showing how I've organized Gloomhaven. I think it's a great system: everything fits in the box, the important things are labelled and well separated, set up and tear down are quick, and implementing it doesn't consume a huge

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I bought Gloomhaven and asked for tutorial recommendations and everyone told me to buy JOTL so I bought that and I'm about 75% of the way through and I'm sure one day I'll get to Gloomhaven! When I do I'll be very prepared lol.

darhf

Oct 28, 2017
Toulouse, France
Has anyone tried any of the "EXIT" games? Are they any good? They seem to be escape room type deals?

I played 3 of them and the experience was mostly pleasant.
It's played with a decoder wheel and some index cards + paper/cardboard material. Some material is meant to be destroyed during the game, making them not resellable.
They are mostly puzzle-based and very dry on the narrative side.
The hard one we did was very hard, but there is a hint system if you're stuck.

I prefer the Unlock series, they require an app but are much more fun to play.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Been eyeing Gloomhaven for weeks and it went on sale just one day after I ordered it from somewhere else smh.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
bought call to adventure, clank, thunderstone quest, king of tokyo dark edition within the space of a few weeks

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know they've been around for a while but the Northern Sea games just caught my eye. Anyone have thoughts on them? Do they all actually work as one campaign with the Runes add-on?

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
Got notification today that my order for Trails of Tucana arrived at my FLGS. Excited to pick it up tomorrow.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used my cancelled Bardsung pledge funds to back Creature Comforts (I have a kid) and Mission Catastrophe and I'm feeling real good about both of these campaigns.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently I accidentally ordered 2 full pledges of Marvel United. OOPS! That was not my intent at all and I have no idea how I didn't even notice until just last night while poking around my various Kickstarters.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy Review - A Plastic Classic

Support the Show: https://bit.ly/SupportSUSDBuy This Game: https://bit.ly/SUSDEclipse In US: https://bit.ly/3ynpMo1 In CA: https://bit.ly/3PjutpZ In AU: http...

Now I know where Paradox got inspiration from when they made Stellaris.

I haven't played the "new" version, but I adore the first one. It's the best "space conquering" game out there, better than TI3 as it's playable + teachable much more easily. That's a controversial opinion with some ;) It's got some rough edges that the new version improves, sure, but I dont' feel the need to throw out my game, expansions + storage for it. Love the tech + ship building. Love the push forward with influence + the economy of money vs influence.

Watching the vid now, really enjoying it. It's selling the experience really well.

Last edited:

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
www.youtube.com

Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy Review - A Plastic Classic

Support the Show: https://bit.ly/SupportSUSDBuy This Game: https://bit.ly/SUSDEclipse In US: https://bit.ly/3ynpMo1 In CA: https://bit.ly/3PjutpZ In AU: http...

Now I know where Paradox got inspiration from when they made Stellaris.

I bought the second edition off the strength of the game after my first play in March. Paid over the odds to get all the bobbins from the kickstarter but it's bloody excellent fun.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the "new" version, but I adore the first one. It's the best "space conquering" game out there, better than TI3 as it's playable + teachable much more easily. That's a controversial opinion with some ;) It's got some rough edges that the new version improves, sure, but I dont' feel the need to throw out my game, expansions + storage for it. Love the tech + ship building. Love the push forward with influence + the economy of money vs influence.

Watching the vid now, really enjoying it. It's selling the experience really well.

I love the original version as well. The new version doesn't seem to change all that many things, but the new storage solutions seems sooo nice. Instant setup.

I'm almost considering selling my old version to help fund an upgrade, but the expansions aren't available for the new version yet, and I don't think I'd want to be without them.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played my Eclipse Second Dawn, but the review did make me think about picking up the mat for when I do get the chance to play it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Getting ready to play Book It! for the first time.

77Ss8ue.jpg

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Eclipse second is strange. It's one less round then the original but I'm still having a tough time getting it to the table. It's also actually got some fairly fiddly rules. I did a rules explanation and everyone got mad at me because i mixed up some rule about movement. I love the game so it's a shame that they had a bad experience and are less likely to play with me now. I often rush rules to 'just get to the game' and i don't want to talk people's ear off for 45 minutes but maybe i need to be more comprehensive next time.

On the other hand, I played a few games of Search for Planet X recently and everyone LOVED it. Even my wife, who does not normally care for board games took to it. It's just so different from everything else, and whilst you get more information then others and are trying to work faster, it never feels too competitive. It feels like you're trying to sort out your own puzzle.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I have no one to play those more complicated boardgames with so they end up being a waste of money. Even Jaws of the Lion was a little too much in the end.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
You find some real cool shit in smaller shops, as someone who just got into FF LCG's I just found these Arkham Horror stuff in the same store for MSRP:

- All 5 Investigator packs.
-All 6 Circle undone mythos.
- Barkham Horror.

I lost my fucking mind I tell you!!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Has anyone tried any of the "EXIT" games? Are they any good? They seem to be escape room type deals?
I love them. My SO and I have played through them all (except the four on shelf). They are a little over 1 hour and a great date night. I'd recommend keeping it at two though. There are only so many things to look at that some people in a larger group wouldn't get to experience it.

Keep in mind, they are ONE play type games. It cannot be replayed at all. I like that aspect and just chuck when completed. But I highly recommend them.

Fuck it, just saw a really bad review for H:ZD so I'm bailing on my Bardsung pledge. Following my head not my heart this time.

I haven't seen a review but I was thinking of trying to sell off my pledge to directly ship to them. Glad I spent a little as possible.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Boys KS just dropped out of nowhere. Based on the comic not the TV show:

www.kickstarter.com

THE BOYS: This Is Going To Hurt The Board Game

A Competitive Adventure Game For 1-5 Players. Based on the hit-series THE BOYS by Dynamite Entertainment.

I'm a massive fan of the comic but this seems a bit expensive for me. I'll keep an eye on it and see if the SGs add much value.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
The Boys KS just dropped out of nowhere. Based on the comic not the TV show:

www.kickstarter.com

THE BOYS: This Is Going To Hurt The Board Game

A Competitive Adventure Game For 1-5 Players. Based on the hit-series THE BOYS by Dynamite Entertainment.

I'm a massive fan of the comic but this seems a bit expensive for me. I'll keep an eye on it and see if the SGs add much value.

3 first time designers + a new production company? ...

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Crucial mistake when it comes to complex beasts like Eclipse, TI, Die Macher or Gaia Project. Make sure everything is crystal clear before starting or you've just doomed the playthrough to collapse under it's own weight.
I like running learning games for first time playthroughs for a lot of my games. These games are only meant to familiarize everyone with the way the game works so we often just play out a couple of turns before moving onto a proper game. I play with a lot of newbies so it helps a lot.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I like running learning games for first time playthroughs for a lot of my games. These games are only meant to familiarize everyone with the way the game works so we often just play out a couple of turns before moving onto a proper game. I play with a lot of newbies so it helps a lot.
This is actually a pretty good idea for anything north of Agricola on the complexity scale. Will adopt this!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
That's a real good idea. Maybe I can get some games going if I do this.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
We always emphasize the first game is the "test game" and there's always a rule or two we missed so nobody takes it too seriously.

KS news: Thursday, the final expansion for Nemo's War hits KS. This is from their promo info:
Nemo's War is a (first and foremost solitaire) game inspired by Jules Verne's 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea'. Depending on Captain Nemo's motive, you will be sailing the oceans with your submarine, Nautilus, with the aim to explore natural wonders, attack ships, and assist anti-imperialist revolts.

This new expansion comes with an updated rulebook, a 2 player versus mode (Nemo vs. Imperialists), new Adventure cards, new Finale cards (The Trap, The Kraken, Scientific Espionage, Imperialists' Catspaw), and a new level of victory (Notable) between Inconsequential and Success.

It also includes 2 new motives for Captain Nemo (Piracy and World Order), and a new storyline featuring Nemo's son, Nadeen Dakkar.

The Kickstarter campaign will give backers the chance to obtain everything released for the game so far, like the previous expansion packs and the base game itself.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
This is actually a pretty good idea for anything north of Agricola on the complexity scale. Will adopt this!
Another thing that I do is to sit out a game and just run it; sometimes I'll give tactical tips to anyone who seems stuck. Not only is it a good way to learn a game but because my group is usually an awkward 5, it lets us play 4-player games.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Another thing that I do is to sit out a game and just run it; sometimes I'll give tactical tips to anyone who seems stuck. Not only is it a good way to learn a game but because my group is usually an awkward 5, it lets us play 4-player games.
This one I do quite often myself when accommodating newcomers to our BG group. Good tip, though.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
12 hours left for Dark Venture - BATTLE of the ANCIENTS

www.kickstarter.com

Dark Venture - BATTLE of the ANCIENTS

A tactical strategy game set in a dark-fantasy future where players control asymmetric factions engaging in brutal conflict.

I scrolled past this quite a few times without paying it much attention until I saw the Quackelope video and now I'm hyped. Looks like awesome value, no plastic minis just a load of unique gameplay with an awesome aesthetic. I'm in for the core + the Kings expansion.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went for Ultimate with the cloth upgrade before I read JSRs comment so I went back and dropped the upgrade.

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone back Holi that's received it and has thoughts? It just finally became available to buy from the publisher's webstore and I've been looking at it.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
is there any game similar to King of Toyko you fine folks would recommend?

What does your group like best about it it? The dice chucking? The king of the hill nature? The theme? The interaction?

Sorry, but it helps to know stuff like this in making good recommendations. Also, how many players do you usually have in your group?

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does your group like best about it it? The dice chucking? The king of the hill nature? The theme? The interaction?

Sorry, but it helps to know stuff like this in making good recommendations. Also, how many players do you usually have in your group?

nah fair questions. at the moment just me and the wife. The dice is definitely a major factor. It's really easy pick up and play kinda game

That's a tough one. I've never really been able to find a game that has the same feel as King of Tokyo. Bang! The Dice Game might be one to look into.

I'll give that a look so!

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
nah fair questions. at the moment just me and the wife. The dice is definitely a major factor. It's really easy pick up and play kinda game

I'll give that a look so!
I just picked up Kingdomino: Duel which is a fun roll and write for 2 players with a bunch of dice rolling. I would also highly recommend any of the Azul games for two players. No dice involved, but they have a nice tactile feel and elegant visual appeal.