• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
I was tossing up between Darkest Dungeon and Townsfolk Tussle and ended up backing TT instead. I've got DD the videogame and I'm not a huge fan, I feel like TT will be a much more unique experience for me as I don't have any boss-rush style boardgames yet

I am close friends with one of the creators of TT, let me know if you have any questions.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the offer! I already posted on the Kickstarter asking if there was going to be an official solo mode and someone replied saying yes.

Quackelope put this game on my radar a few days ago btw, I was waiting for it to drop - such a dope aesthetic and I can see they've put a lot of thought into every aspect of the product.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember the name of a game where they kickstarted an unique, tabletop-style with a type of turn-based and I think it the ones where they show a little demo in between an undersea and the dryland while fighting with gargoyles, or something like that.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever play Zombicide: Invader? Any thoughts?
It's the best playing Zombicide I've dived into between the original, Black Plague/Green Horde, and itself. There's a lot more flexibility due to the improvements with mechanics like concentrated fire so that you're not just trying to search for that one mysterious item that'll allow you to survive. The mold element is a very aggressive and challenging evolution of the summoning spawns from Black Plague/Green Horde (Fantacide?). The components are great as well, especially the player tray.

However, the theme is a bit lacking. The "zombies" are largely just tentacle aliens, and base box-wise it's mainly just space marines with the usual handguns and rifles. And, iirc, Invader may be a bit of an all-or-nothing condition by default where if anyone dies, it's game over, rather than mission specific. It also doesn't have the wealth of mechanics and options that the Fantasy line does. It also has the issue that all the other Zombicides do, which is a good bit of set-up and tear down.

Overall I recommend it if the theme is appealing and you don't have/want a shake-up from the fantasy line of Zombicides.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
It's the best playing Zombicide I've dived into between the original, Black Plague/Green Horde, and itself. There's a lot more flexibility due to the improvements with mechanics like concentrated fire so that you're not just trying to search for that one mysterious item that'll allow you to survive. The mold element is a very aggressive and challenging evolution of the summoning spawns from Black Plague/Green Horde (Fantacide?). The components are great as well, especially the player tray.

However, the theme is a bit lacking. The "zombies" are largely just tentacle aliens, and base box-wise it's mainly just space marines with the usual handguns and rifles. And, iirc, Invader may be a bit of an all-or-nothing condition by default where if anyone dies, it's game over, rather than mission specific. It also doesn't have the wealth of mechanics and options that the Fantasy line does. It also has the issue that all the other Zombicides do, which is a good bit of set-up and tear down.

Overall I recommend it if the theme is appealing and you don't have/want a shake-up from the fantasy line of Zombicides.

I would have gone in on Invader if not for the style. I like the realistic look, but something about it was so offputting and not very pleasing.

So my first zombicide is going to be Night of the Living Dead. Looking forward to that.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would have gone in on Invader if not for the style. I like the realistic look, but something about it was so offputting and not very pleasing.

So my first zombicide is going to be Night of the Living Dead. Looking forward to that.
It really just came off as Project E.L.I.T.E. concept prototype adapted into the Zombicide system.

I got a bit burned out after, so skipped going in on Night of the Living Dead and the 2.0 of the original, of which the latter was also missing improvements like concentrated fire. Hopefully it's a good take on the system.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did a bit of extra soul-searching on Townsfolk Tussle and decided that Solo mode probably won't be meaty enough for me to justify it so I cancelled my pledge. I'm using the money to upgrade my Frostpunk pledge from Core to Deluxe instead. Those pre-shaded minis look so sweet.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I sold 10 games on auction recently and put the money (about $400) into a bunch of Chip Theory Games, which I havent ever really thought about getting until I had all that cash.

Hoplomachus Origins is coming this week, Too Many Bones Undertow + Nugget next week, and Cloudspire + Uprising sometime this winter. Whew.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I sold 10 games on auction recently and put the money (about $400) into a bunch of Chip Theory Games, which I havent ever really thought about getting until I had all that cash.

Hoplomachus Origins is coming this week, Too Many Bones Undertow + Nugget next week, and Cloudspire + Uprising sometime this winter. Whew.

Cloudspire is one I was really interested in but damn...the bookkeeping seems insane.

I LOVE Too Many Bones. I went all in and received my trove chest. What an amazing bundle of games and such quality.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Cloudspire is one I was really interested in but damn...the bookkeeping seems insane.

I LOVE Too Many Bones. I went all in and received my trove chest. What an amazing bundle of games and such quality.

The most complaints I've seen about Cloudspire is that the rules are unclear sometimes, which also seems to be a Chip Theory thing in general.

However I was pretty impressed with their commitment to redo the manual and player aids for the 2nd printing (which is what is coming). They have apparently listened to a lot of feedback and tried to smooth out the experience.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tight fit, but it does fit vertically. I might have to do that, although I'm a bit worried about the components and trays stacked like that. Oh well.
It doesn't look like your shelves are Kallax. Do they have the same dimensions though? Seems most publishers try to get their boxes to fit in a Kallax cube.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Well well well what have we here?

ovWDpwS.jpg

DnUYYHE.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I captured a better pic. I see Archangel & Storm. Who else do you see?

CpbB2RK.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Wolverine and Beast. Potentially Jean Grey or Rogue.

Who is the flying chick with the sword in the center? The only X-Men I know that uses a sword would be Psyloch & Magik and neither one of them can fly. Also, looks like Juggernaut on the right stomping someone into the ground? (I could be mistaking a spell effect as a sword, in that case it is Jean)

Oh, and all the way on the left looks like Nightcrawler squatting!

Oct 28, 2017
Who is the flying chick with the sword in the center? The only X-Men I know that uses a sword would be Psyloch & Magik and neither one of them can fly. Also, looks like Juggernaut on the right stomping someone into the ground? (I could be mistaking a spell effect as a sword, in that case it is Jean)
Yeah, I was thinking that was Jean but I complete missed what she was holding.
Could the third from the right be Sabertooth?

Edit: Meant third from the left.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So I was looking into horror games that mimick the slasher movie genre since while I love Last Friday I'd love some variety. Then I was Google suggested Camp Grizzly and OMG what happened to the availability of this game.

I found exactly one listing under shopping. It was eBay and the game is going for over $700?!?

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was looking into horror games that mimick the slasher movie genre since while I love Last Friday I'd love some variety. Then I was Google suggested Camp Grizzly and OMG what happened to the availability of this game.

I found exactly one listing under shopping. It was eBay and the game is going for over $700?!?

Check out Final Girl, it's just been Kickstarted but there's some late pledges and it looks fantastic.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017

These limited run KS horror games are weirdly in demand.The original The Thing game sold for silly money (not quite that much!) recently.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Check out Final Girl, it's just been Kickstarted but there's some late pledges and it looks fantastic.

Not seeing any late pledge options but Holy Shit funded in 2 hours and raised almost half a million! Hope it gets a full release because looking at it looks right up my alley.

These limited run KS horror games are weirdly in demand.The original The Thing game sold for silly money (not quite that much!) recently.

It was so weird. I could literally by the Kickstarter perked version of Power Rangers, Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II for less than that game.

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017

Was gonna say that just because someone lists something for an amount doesn't mean that it's selling for that. Then, I saw a completed listing with the Campgrounds expansion sold this week for $1000.

Sold listings for the base game are typically $200-300.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
image0.jpg

Finally have it! So glad I booked a copy, the store got in 20 today, they had 3 when I picked mine up.

I'd love to get this, but there is no way I'm going to be able to have a group meet up on a regular basis as things are now. It seems so good though, and there is exactly one in stock in one of my local shops.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
Been watching some essen spiel stuff and Under Falling Skies looks excellent.

It may dethrone Aerion as my favorite pure solo game.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty excited about Marvel United X-Men stuff. I'm hoping for:
-X-Man
-Generation X expansion (Skin, Husk, Chamber, and Emplate)
-Age of Apocalypse expansion (good-guy Sabertooth, Blink, Weapon X, and Holocaust)
-Mojoverse expansion (Shatterstar, Adam X, Spiral, and Arcade or Mojo)
-Savage Land expansion (Ka-Zar, Shanna, Zabu, and Sauron)

The new Jasco stream announced two big things for the future of the UTS game line (of which Street Fighter Miniatures Game and the upcoming Mortal Kombat Miniatures Game will be a part of);
-next year will be a Kickstarter for a Round 2 reprint of the Street Fighter minis game, with some new characters and bosses available
-the Mega Man game that they are co-developing with Level 99 games will have decks for each minis that allow them to be played in the UTS system (this is something they've hinted at wanting to do and I guess are now saying that they will)

Both of those are things I'm interested in, and they reaffirmed that they have the My Hero Academia license which makes me hopeful that crosses over to UTS as well. Street Fighter is only a few months away from delivery and I cannot wait.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Mage Knight over the weekend. I bought it a few months ago but hadn't had a good chance to dive into it up until now. I spent all friday night day punching out bits and sorting cards and sleeve and arranging the box layout and then all saturday going back and forth between the rule book and the gameplay books and youtube videos and good god this is an unintuitive game.

h5CuVRj.jpg

It doesn't help that the manuals are shit with different nuggets of information scattered all two books like some kind of meta-puzzle.

So far it hasn't clicked for me yet. A few times I felt the engine start to sputter to life like it was all about to fire up but always fizzled again soon after. I either had enough actions to move into a Keep or a Mage Tower, or enough actions to fight the monsters at that location but rarely enough actions to do both in a single turn.

And then I ventured into a Ruins and got one-shotted by a Dragon.

VEXLSqw.jpg

I'll definitely give it another try, I'm sure all the hype can't be wrong and I really like the art and characters and advanced abilities. Anyone here play it?