• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion & Forgotten Circles bundle is 50% off on Boardgamebliss:

www.boardgamebliss.com

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion + Forgotten Circles Bundle

Note: This bundle includes 2 of the Gloomhaven Products 1 copy of Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion (Standalone) 1 copy of Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles (Expansion of Gloomhaven)

That's a great price for a Jotl, the game is already amazing value even at RRP.

I've been playing Scythe over the weekend using the Easy Automa and it's kicking my ass. It gets stars so quickly while I flounder to do anything meaningful in the same time.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got Wingspan and decided to sort it right now. The cardboard on a couple parts of the dice tower sucked though and pieces got bent or had outer layers separate when lightly folding them in. I know Stonemaier Games is really good in a lot of aspects; how are they with parts requests?
I can't answer the parts request question, but I will say that I used a couple dabs of super glue on each of the main insert prongs of the bird tower just to toughen them up a bit.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some games I've been playing recently.

Tiny Epic Zombies: This game punches way above its weight. For such a small box the gameplay is fast and fun and the objectives make the game thematically a lot deeper than I expected. Also the meeples hold weapons!

34Auhmk.jpg

sEOKAy1.jpg

Flamme Rogue: Lots of fun with friends, solo mode isn't very exciting. Beautifully presented game though.

IJmEpTf.jpg

Ultra Tiny Epic Galaxies: Because I couldn't find anywhere with TEG in stock. I can't believe they can squeeze this much gameplay into a deck of cards box. Just wish the dice were a bit bigger so they were more fun to roll and flat tokens would be easier to deal with than having to rotate cubes to the one face with the icon on it.
TYuq8hi.jpg

Scythe: Epic. Strategic. Fantastic solo mode. Fantastic production and art. Really high quality miniatures that make me want to finally get off my ass and buy some paints and start painting. Dying to try out the Fenris campaign soon too.
pYzrygK.jpg

v5tQ2vb.jpg

Monochrome Inc: Great little puzzler, the writing and story could use some improvements but the gameplay is seriously engaging and it's satisfying to solve the puzzles. Use the elevator card on the right to travel between floors!

IQqkUwS.jpg

And of course Jaws of the Lion: Easily my favourite game out of all the ones I just posted. Deep, satisfying and engaging gameplay and equally good writing to go with it. Start here if you're looking for something new to play.

J7ftEhF.jpg

X0PMB73.jpg

y6I9Iv8.jpg

Newton: Classic euro. Thematically it does nothing for me but the mechanics keep me coming back just trying to get that score a bit higher.

EUawZ1E.jpg

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Got Godzilla Tokyo Clash on a whim at Target the other day. Played two games of it so far and I think it's pretty fun!!

20YY5d2.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ok 7th continent update
We liked it
Didn't love it. But really liked it.
We didn't die oddly enough we did ok. We had a great success at fishing and hunting and had a fire so we got almost the whole deck back twice.
We played 4 hours . We didn't finish, what's the average length to play? That's one thing we didn't like we had no clue how close we were or what. An hour more? 7 hours more?
We explored a few islands and a jungle and found a great catacomb under it, we explored that for a long time and thought we were into something then...exited back into the same jungle haha.

Also when the heck do we spend experience points? We had almost 10 but never got to anywhere that told us to use them

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thx for the impressions. I've been fighting the temptation to buy 7th Continent for so long. I've backed 7th Citadel tho.

Got Godzilla Tokyo Clash on a whim at Target the other day. Played two games of it so far and I think it's pretty fun!!

20YY5d2.jpg

Looks neat! What's it like compared to King of Tokyo, any similarities?

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Ok 7th continent update
We liked it
We didn't die oddly enough we did ok. We had a great success at fishing and hunting and had a fire so we got almost the whole deck back twice.
We played 4 hours . We didn't finish, what's the average length to play? That's one thing we didn't like we had no clue how close we were or what. An hour more? 7 hours more?
We explored a few islands and a jungle and found a great catacomb under it, we explored that for a long time and thought we were into something then...exited back into the same jungle haha.

Also when the heck do we spend experience points? We had almost 10 but never got to anywhere that told us to use them

There's a card
(basically resting/camping)
that tells how you can use experience, if I recall correctly. I couldn't tell you about the length because I haven't finished a quest yet.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Looks neat! What's it like compared to King of Tokyo, any similarities?
Very few similarities. The only thing that's really similar is that you have Energy and the King of Monsters status gives you benefits and is passed around. King of Tokyo is more of a party game, Godzilla is more a tactics/strategy game.

I've only played 2p so far but basically it's you pick your kaiju which gives you special abilities and a deck of attacks, moves,enhancements and defenses.

Each player tries to damage the others to collect trophies from the other players decks that have Victory Points.

As you play the humans are deploying an Oxygen Destroyer to get the kaiju to flee. The more destruction you cause the faster it comes out. Once it activates the game is over, you count up Victory Points and determine a Victor.

You also have two events that represent plots from mostly from the Showa Era. Things like the Planet X aliens, the military sending tanks, etc. They activate at the end of each round and can screw you over.

It definitely seems like a game that would be better with more than two players, but my partner and I have really enjoyed it so far.

It has flaws, for example you can't destroy buildings (that give you energy for your cards) without throwing a vehicle or a kaiju at it. But honestly I did feel like I was controlling my Kaiju and having played both Godzilla and Mothra now I will say they have distinct playing styles and feel very different.

My partner has being playing King Ghidorah and it's multi head factor really changes how they play compare to the other two I've done.

The best thing though are the figures. They are made of a rubbery plastic and look really good.

f1ffQZa.jpg

The Kaiju choice is on point but I recall would have preferred Gigan, Rodan or MechaGodzilla over Megalon. It feels like he's only there because of the meme.

Tail%20Slide.gif

Which yes is a card in the game. As is the victory pose.

BoldGratefulFluke-small.gif

RhKSR1l.jpg

Jet Jaguar is in some of the art as well. As you can see from the card pictures they have a distressed look to them, which makes sense with the Showa anesthetic. They are going for an old VHS box feel and it works pretty well.

Overall I really liked the game. It's not very complex and it's straight forward. The rule book is really well designed and easy to find rules. I even does a double explain in the back for each event and kaiju for when you just have a question about those specific things.

King of Tokyo/New York will come out for big groups and parties. But when I want true Kaiju action this is the game I'll play.

It might need a house rule about building destruction though. And it definitely needs expansions in the future to add more Showa Era Kaiju.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Ok 7th continent update
We liked it

It's really designed to be played in chunks. So you play for like 2 or 3 hours at a time, then save your progress to reset the map for next time. The length of the different curses could vary pretty wildly depending on where you go and how you go about solving the curse.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Decided to go for the Frostpunk Kickstarter, I am so weak for city building themed games...

Also for some weird reason, I am way more enticed by minis representing buildings than I am of characters. So now I got both this and Foundations of Rome in the bag.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ok 7th continent update
We liked it

My friend and I played for 11 hours on the first curse and didn't finish it. You need to rest to spend exp (this "resets" the board minus the space you're on)

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Also the curses are a puzzle. When you know what the clues mean you won't wander so aimlessly. Still takes hours and hours to solve though.

Oct 25, 2017
It's really designed to be played in chunks. So you play for like 2 or 3 hours at a time, then save your progress to reset the map for next time. The length of the different curses could vary pretty wildly depending on where you go and how you go about solving the curse.
My friend and I played for 11 hours on the first curse and didn't finish it. You need to rest to spend exp (this "resets" the board minus the space you're on)
Also the curses are a puzzle. When you know what the clues mean you won't wander so aimlessly. Still takes hours and hours to solve though.

Wow I had no idea it was so long. I thought each one was time stories length or so.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Goddess took me about 7 hours to solve when I mostly knew what to do. I still took my time getting there though.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to go for the Frostpunk Kickstarter, I am so weak for city building themed games...

Also for some weird reason, I am way more enticed by minis representing buildings than I am of characters. So now I got both this and Foundations of Rome in the bag.

I can't justify the price for the deluxe version. I am still hanging on to my pledge but so far the only exclusive is the wash and I don't need that. I am not the greatest painter but I could apply a wash to the generator myself.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Goddess took me about 7 hours to solve when I mostly knew what to do. I still took my time getting there though.

One of my issues with 7th continent is that you just have no clue what your progression is like. I ran into the same thing where I explored a big underground something for a long time with seemingly nothing to show for it at the end and I still have no clue if it was part of the curse or not. I get that it's part of the mystery but some sort of progress indication would've been nice lol.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no 7th Continent master or anything, but I think the idea is that you're supposed to take notes and figure things out via multiple runs. You can use knowledge from previous plays to help inform you.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm no 7th Continent master or anything, but I think the idea is that you're supposed to take notes and figure things out via multiple runs. You can use knowledge from previous plays to help inform you.

This is if you die after going down a very long wrong way rabbit hole, which is completely possible. During my 11 hour session my friend and I thought we were on the right trail and ended up finding stuff for a completely different curse and had to double back.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I can't justify the price for the deluxe version. I am still hanging on to my pledge but so far the only exclusive is the wash and I don't need that. I am not the greatest painter but I could apply a wash to the generator myself.
I could probably do the wash myself as well, but I thought it might be nice to get that while it's free and included anyway. Thing is, weirdly, I find myself a lot more attracted to these kinds of minis, while for other games I would be more than happy if they stopped making these massive fantasy game boxes of 600 figures when just paper standees would do fine. I do want the deluxe version in this case even though I don't really need it.

I even plan to perhaps try and paint the minis for Foundations of Rome, with different coloured main features for different players.
Foundations-of-Rome.jpg

Would make for a gorgeous game I think.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Glad you got to order it! My online one came today
Well damn. I got a little nervous about Coatl and called today to make sure they were getting me a copy. I paid at the time I stopped in but the person who helped me doesn't have access to be able to place orders and implied it'd be that night or the next day when the owner put my order in. I was told that not only Coatl but Super-Skill Pinball 4Cade as well are both on back-order, after being told last Wednesday night by the person who looked them up on the Alliance site that they were available. So maybe a couple weeks, or maybe a couple months.

I'd love to get a refund but I paid for part of the order with a gift certificate, and I also put an order in with this store because I know it's rough for them right now and I never really bought any games from them even before the pandemic. It's a conflicting feeling: I want to throw them a little support because I've played there a lot and never really spent too much. But I can't currently play there (well I can but it doesn't seem like the best idea atm and I also don't want to wear a mask for three hours while partaking in a hobby I enjoy) so the only thing they have to offer me is games to buy at full-price but they don't have what I want and can't get it.

Oct 25, 2017
Well damn. I got a little nervous about Coatl and called today to make sure they were getting me a copy. I paid at the time I stopped in but the person who helped me doesn't have access to be able to place orders and implied it'd be that night or the next day when the owner put my order in. I was told that not only Coatl but Super-Skill Pinball 4Cade as well are both on back-order, after being told last Wednesday night by the person who looked them up on the Alliance site that they were available. So maybe a couple weeks, or maybe a couple months.

I'd love to get a refund but I paid for part of the order with a gift certificate, and I also put an order in with this store because I know it's rough for them right now and I never really bought any games from them even before the pandemic. It's a conflicting feeling: I want to throw them a little support because I've played there a lot and never really spent too much. But I can't currently play there (well I can but it doesn't seem like the best idea atm and I also don't want to wear a mask for three hours while partaking in a hobby I enjoy) so the only thing they have to offer me is games to buy at full-price but they don't have what I want and can't get it.
Oooooooohffff that sucks
That's like exactly what happens to me they said yep it's good will rise but by the time they did it was listed as back ordered and could be months.
I've been trying to do most my shopping local to help during the pandemic but if they don't have it I say see if they can refund and give you a new gift card and just order online. You'll use it at some point but there is no sense waiting months

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What app are you using with JotL and what purpose does it serve?

It's called Gloomhaven Helper, I use it to auto-calculate monster damage and health, and also to draw monster ability cards and modifier cards and to track the health and any conditions of my characters and the infused elements.

Basically all of this is now bagged up and no longer used:

fpMNbBr.jpg

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Amazon Prime day in Aus atm, not sure if it is in the US as well.

I got Pandemic: Season 1 for Aus$60 and Spirit Island for $79 and they've been on my must buy list for ages.

They also have Arkham Horror core for cheap but I already have that. And Dark Souls too but I managed to resist adding that to my backlog.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
It's Amazon Prime day in Aus atm, not sure if it is in the US as well.

I got Pandemic: Season 1 for Aus$60 and Spirit Island for $79 and they've been on my must buy list for ages.

They also have Arkham Horror core for cheap but I already have that. And Dark Souls too but I managed to resist adding that to my backlog.

Starting tomorrow AFAIK

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
It's called Gloomhaven Helper, I use it to auto-calculate monster damage and health, and also to draw monster ability cards and modifier cards and to track the health and any conditions of my characters and the infused elements.

Basically all of this is now bagged up and no longer used:

fpMNbBr.jpg

Uhhh holy shit. Game changer!

I'll check it out! Thanks

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm debating on grabbing the new The Thing before the Kickstarter ends

I'm thinking of dropping my pledge. I want it because it's the thing, but honestly the glut of variants and play modes puts me off and makes me wonder how well designed any of these modes are, or even the main game.
I just don't get the impression that this looks fun at all, and now there's add ons I'll feel compelled to get. I'm just not convinced and this is the kind of skepticism I need to exercise when it comes to kickstarter and purchases in general.

Also, while the art looks high quality, it looks like The Thing mixed with, I dunno, Fornite or something. The art is inappropriately colorful and the characters look almost.. cute.
I prefer the art and presentation of the Outpost 31 game, though I never have gotten it to the table yet and probably won't. Maybe I'll keep the miniatures and try to make my own little The Thing game.

On the otherhand, Gatefall looks and sounds like it's fun, from the impressions I've seen. I'm almost tempted to jump into that.
Any thoughts here on Gatefall?

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Some games I've been playing recently.

Tiny Epic Zombies: This game punches way above its weight. For such a small box the gameplay is fast and fun and the objectives make the game thematically a lot deeper than I expected. Also the meeples hold weapons!

34Auhmk.jpg

sEOKAy1.jpg

Flamme Rogue: Lots of fun with friends, solo mode isn't very exciting. Beautifully presented game though.

IJmEpTf.jpg

Ultra Tiny Epic Galaxies: Because I couldn't find anywhere with TEG in stock. I can't believe they can squeeze this much gameplay into a deck of cards box. Just wish the dice were a bit bigger so they were more fun to roll and flat tokens would be easier to deal with than having to rotate cubes to the one face with the icon on it.
TYuq8hi.jpg

Scythe: Epic. Strategic. Fantastic solo mode. Fantastic production and art. Really high quality miniatures that make me want to finally get off my ass and buy some paints and start painting. Dying to try out the Fenris campaign soon too.
pYzrygK.jpg

v5tQ2vb.jpg

Monochrome Inc: Great little puzzler, the writing and story could use some improvements but the gameplay is seriously engaging and it's satisfying to solve the puzzles. Use the elevator card on the right to travel between floors!

IQqkUwS.jpg

And of course Jaws of the Lion: Easily my favourite game out of all the ones I just posted. Deep, satisfying and engaging gameplay and equally good writing to go with it. Start here if you're looking for something new to play.

J7ftEhF.jpg

X0PMB73.jpg

y6I9Iv8.jpg

Newton: Classic euro. Thematically it does nothing for me but the mechanics keep me coming back just trying to get that score a bit higher.

EUawZ1E.jpg
Out of curiosity what game mode do you play on Tiny Epic Zombies? I backed it when it was on kickstarter and it's just been sitting on my shelf all this time lol. How is it solo?

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity what game mode do you play on Tiny Epic Zombies? I backed it when it was on kickstarter and it's just been sitting on my shelf all this time lol. How is it solo?

I've only played solo, using 2 characters. I really enjoy it, it's got a great puzzle/action vibe and the objectives make it more immersive than the usual move and shoot game. Also the production is great, ITEMeeples are really fun to load up with weapons and move around.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I had a good time playing it solo, based upon my experience/reading the rules the worst mode to play would be the one vs all mode since the zombie player doesn't really get to do much outside of controlling where the zombies spawn.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Target is matching Jaws of the Lion and has some boardgame promotions going right now. Picked up Jaws of the Lion and 7 Wonders Duel myself.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Kabuto Sumo just went live on Kickstarter. It's the third project published by BoardGameTables.com that I've backed this year. I really like what they have been putting out. So far the only thing from them that I don't own is Loot of Lima, but I've got two copies of On Tour with the European expansion (the original version and the new edition), QE, and Bites (with the extra tokens to make it Double Bites). I also backed their three small box games that come out next year: GPS, Sequoia, and Mountain Goats.

Kabuto Sumo is a dexterity sumo wrestling game with a raised platform full of tokens and beetle "wrestlers." You push wooden tokens onto the platform in a straight line which in turn push other tokens and the wrestlers around. It is supposed to be reminiscent of the coin pusher games at arcades where you drop a coin token into the top and hope that it lands in a way that causes a bunch of other tokens to get pushed off the front.

I watched the Becca Scott preview vid and read the rules and knew I had to have it. I've been unsure about Loot of Lima and whether I'd like it but I may end up grabbing that after the campaign because BoardGameTables is just knocking it out of the park.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Hey there board game era. I'm looking for game recommendations with some specific requirements:

-Cooperative
-Playtime is an hour or less
-Heavy on card play but not too heavy on keywords and text. As an example of what I mean by too heavy: Marvel Champions is too intense for my group in keeping track of what all the cards do and how they interact. I'm looking for something more straightforward. Anything that has Magic: the Gathering-like cards is not a good fit. No LCGs, please.
-Bonus points for a game that is played entirely with cards, ie no boards at all. Counters/tokens are fine.
-Relatively easy to acquire. I'd like to get this today or tomorrow at MSRP.

I have most of the classic coops so newer games are better

Thanks in advance!!

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Hey there board game era. I'm looking for game recommendations with some specific requirements:

-Cooperative
-Heavy on card play but not too heavy on keywords and text. As an example of what I mean by too heavy: Marvel Champions is too intense for my group in keeping track of what all the cards do and how they interact. I'm looking for something more straightforward. Anything that has Magic: the Gathering-like cards is not a good fit. No LCGs, please.
-Bonus points for a game that is played entirely with cards, ie no boards at all. Counters/tokens are fine.

Thanks in advance!!

How about The Crew?

boardgamegeek.com

The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine

Go on many planet-discovering space missions in this cooperative trick-taking game.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

-Cooperative

Thanks in advance!!

When you say "easy to acquire" do you have some retailers in mind that we can sift through available items? Or do you have a game store nearby or something? Just to narrow away stuff that is in print but not really carried at big retailers.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
When you say "easy to acquire" do you have some retailers in mind that we can sift through available items? Or do you have a game store nearby or something? Just to narrow away stuff that is in print but not really carried at big retailers.

I appreciate that, I'm mostly just saying something I can hop online and buy and have shipped to me. From Amazon or whatever.

edit: I just grabbed Hanabi too. Thanks affeinvasion! I like that you guys are recommending cheap games ha ha. I got both of these for about 20 bucks

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Res Arcana looked like a good mid-weight card game in this range that's not too complicated but still has some meat to it.