• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
As someone who could never get into Arkham Horror LCG, FFG has been dead to me since completing Eldritch Horror.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I stopped painting miniatures about twenty years ago, and when I tried to get back into it, I looked online for miniatures tutorials and forums to give me some guidance to start painting again. I found a lot, most of which were showcasing beautiful miniatures with incredible detail, smooth shading and amazing lighting effects. They provided step by step instructions for everything, including trimming the flash from the mini's, pinning parts into place with a small drill and bits of wire, using three color zenithal priming to generate basic lighting effects and more.

Unfortunately, I got hung up on planning to achieve that level before I started painting anything. I bought the right paints and brushes, got an airbrush for priming and zenethal shading, made a wet pallet and promised myself that as soon as I had just a few more supplies, and the right amount of time, I would sit down and start learning to do all those cool things so I could start painting my miniatures the 'right' way.

Two years went by and I realized that I hadn't really done anything... I never seemed to have enough time to sit down and try those techniques, and I still didn't have all the "right" supplies. Meanwhile, I was still gaming with gray plastic lumps.

At that point, I came to a realization; I don't need to paint at the level I was looking at online. I have a few games with pre-painted miniatures that are FAR from the level I was looking to for inspiration, and yet the 'presence' that those painted mini's bring to the game is HUGE. It dawned on me that, even with basic techniques (base colors and a drybrush and/or wash), I could at least achieve, if not exceed, the level of those pre-painted mini's, and it wouldn't even take very long.

Just a few hours after work a few nights a week, and I've got about a dozen figures painted up for my Middara game, and I'm finding it pretty easy to continue at this rate. Sure, they aren't masterpieces, but they are colorful, and look vastly more detailed than the unpainted figures. And I'm actually trying out some of those techniques I saw in the tutorials.

It's not very hard to paint miniatures, if you just focus on getting base colors down and maybe using drybrush or washes. They're going to be perfectly fine for tabletop gaming, and you'll build up the skills that will let you increase your techniques.

You can start out cheaply: I'd suggest buying flat, white spray primer, clear flat spray sealer, inexpensive craft paints and a brush assortment that includes small brushes from your local big box store. Look for basic tutorials online (I suggest checking out Goobertown Hobbies videos, he even has at least one where he uses craft paints). If you want a wash, I'd suggest Army Painter's Strong Tone; you can get it from a hobby shop or online. Initially, work on some mini's you don't really care about (always a good idea to have some of these around to test out ideas and paint schemes on), and then move on to the ones you actually want to use in your games.

Also; I'd suggest watching some of Goobertown Hobbies videos; he's sort of a "Bob Ross" of miniatures painting, providing that same kind of "anyone can do this" vibe, as well as practical advice. Honestly, watching his videos was part of what encouraged me to start painting again; I wish I'd stumbled on his stuff two years ago, I probably would have been painting this whole time...

Oh, and I agree with Cathcart; probably not a good idea to start with a game that has a ton of mini's. Once you're comfortable with painting, that kind of "mass production" painting can actually be easier to do, but you need to get your habits locked into place first. Focus on hitting clear goals, like just the playable characters you have available in Gloomhaven, or the four main characters in Middara and maybe one or two groups of the more common monsters. Hitting clear goals that have tangible benefits will do wonders for helping you maintain your momentum.

Maybe it' something I'll pick up. I am definitely interested, just not now. I would like to buy some starter painting tools and some whatever minis I don't mind practicing on but nothing serious. I appreciate the long reply.
I didn't really plan on just jumping straight into Imperial Assault but possibly 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Continent eventually and painting those minis for the worms, trees and such.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Space Hulk: Death Angel and its expansions are a treasure in my collection. I regret not getting Blood Bowl Team Manager.

The worse part is that I don't ever see either of these getting a reprint. They existed in a certain time under a very specific set of circumstances and only a relative few will ever even know they exist, let alone play them. They will be lost to time and that is super unfortunate.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the next campaign box for Marvel Champions leaked

gh60nicy8xl41.jpg

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know yet roughly what the structure of one of those packs will be? Something like the Core, with a bunch of heroes and a loose campaign that spans multiple villains?

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Sheeeeit. I gotta' make up my mind about Oathsworn before the month is up. I'm just not sure I'm 100% there with some of its design choices. The idea of doing a whole hour of narrative to get into the gameplay stuff seems like a tough sell to my media blasted, short attention span tablemates. Anyone else eyeing this one? It definitely looks super epic.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Sheeeeit. I gotta' make up my mind about Oathsworn before the month is up. I'm just not sure I'm 100% there with some of its design choices. The idea of doing a whole hour of narrative to get into the gameplay stuff seems like a tough sell to my media blasted, short attention span tablemates. Anyone else eyeing this one? It definitely looks super epic.

I've refunded it actually. I decided to start taking stock of all my board games and genres.

Gloomhaven, Star Wars: Imperial Assault, and Too Many Bones are my current RPGs and dungeon crawlers. I have Midarra backed. I also backed Altar Quest with all in. I do want it but eh, I think I'll try to find a buyer.

I know I'm backing Frosthaven for sure which I assume will be just as massive as Gloomhaven. I had backed Etherfields and also refunded it. I lost some money with the two refunds but lesson learned.

Dusk22

Dec 4, 2017
Denver
Do we know yet roughly what the structure of one of those packs will be? Something like the Core, with a bunch of heroes and a loose campaign that spans multiple villains?
It was hinted on FFG's last stream that the new box would have more villains than heroes. Current guess is 2-3 heroes and 4-5 villains.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
It's only a matter of time before my shelves are just tabletop versions of my favorite videogames and movies. I don't like that idea, but if they're making good games based on things I already like, it'll be hard to resist.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Lone Shark games are running a sale
lonesharkgames.com

Lone Shark's response to COVID-19: we want to help save your sanity

Hi from Seattle! Which is a very weird place to be right now. We're usually a pretty bustling place and ... well, we're not now. But look, we're the people who make a game about the imminent apocalypse, another game about fighting an ecological catastrophe, and yet another game about the age of mank

As the calls for social distancing arose, we realized something about what we make that's unique to our company: Nearly everything we make is suitable for solo play. We strive to challenge people to game against our games, or solve against our books, and people have rewarded us handsomely over the years for that decision.

So while some other companies are jacking up prices, we're going the other way. We've dropped all our games and books' prices to the absolute minimum cost we could ever sell them for, in our Save Our Sanity (SOS) offer. We would never sell games at these prices in any normal circumstance. This isn't one of those.

So for a temporary but undetermined amount of time, you can get all of these games for these "save our sanity" prices, plus shipping and handling.

1. Apocrypha's The World box is now reduced from $74.95 to $24.95.
  2. Apocrypha's The Flesh and The Devil expansions are reduced from $39.95 to $19.95.
  3. Apocrypha's The Book of the Hybrids expansion is reduced from $4.95 to $1.95.
  4. The Ninth World: A Skillbuilding Game for Numenera is reduced from $49.95 to $19.95.
  5. Thornwatch's Core Set is reduced from $74.95 to $24.95. (Thornwatch isn't officially a solo game, but we know people who play solo against the game.)
  6. Thornwatch's The Dark of the Wood expansion is reduced from $39.95 to $19.95.
  7. Paul & Storm's Sausage Party is reduced from $24.95 to $14.95. (We have no idea how to play this solo, but whatever. It's on the list.)
  8. The Maze of Games is reduced from $49.95 to $19.95.
  9. The Keymaster's Tome is reduced from $24.95 to $12.95.
  10. Puzzlecraft is reduced from $29.95 to $14.95.
  11. The Kobold Guide to Board Game Design is reduced from $19.95 to $11.95.
  12. Our friends at Basket of Adorables' books Game Theory in the Age of Chaos and The Ghastlytrump Tinies are reduced from $24.95 to $10.
  13. All of these games and books' other accessories will stay at the previous February Frenzy level of $5 each. This includes the Apocrypha Soulbinder, Box of Hope 3-Pack, and Revelation Dice; The Ninth World Playmap; Thornwatch Core Acrylic Pawns and The Dark of the Wood Acrylic Pawns; The Maze of Games' Theseus Guide to the Final Maze and Maze Map; and the Puzzlecraft Workbook. So are the PDFs of those puzzle accessories and both The Maze of Games Audiobook and The Theseus Guide Audiobook and Variety Hour. (Struck-through items are sold out. Sorry!)
  14. Every other PDF we sell is now $5 or less.
That's what we could think of to do to help. We want you to stay home if you can, be well, and have all the fun you can.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It was hinted on FFG's last stream that the new box would have more villains than heroes. Current guess is 2-3 heroes and 4-5 villains.
I think that's a great strategy. Let people buy their favourite heroes in solo packs, then have villains together.

Means you don't have to buy a full expansion just because your one favourite supe is in there

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone change their gaming habits yet? One of my groups is going to tabletop simulator for a bit. We have one germaphobe in the group who is totally freaked out.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my group shut down too, and I'm already missing it big time. If anybody wants to group up and play some Tabletop Sim or something lemme know.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm gonna really need to learn table top sim now, might be the only way I get game time in outside of when I visit my family.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
My group is still meeting for now, but those sort of things are changing day by day around here. Good thing I also like solo games.

Edit: Charlie Baker shut down my game group since we meet in a restaurant. I don't like it but I understand.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Here is my family's game choices to play over the next month of self containment. We took them off the shelf and put them within arm's reach on the gaming table.

jPlwn3N.jpg

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Just bought Marvel Champions on a whim. What's the consensus here on that game? I loved the Marvel brand and I enjoy LCGs, so I figured I'd take the plunge. It seems like I'm not too far behind with the hero packs and scenario packs. I bought Thor and pre-ordered Widow, Hulk, and Strange. How are the scenario packs? I think I'll definitely get Green Goblin when it comes back in stock, but how about the Wrecking Crew?

Blank

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought Marvel Champions on a whim. What's the consensus here on that game? I loved the Marvel brand and I enjoy LCGs, so I figured I'd take the plunge. It seems like I'm not too far behind with the hero packs and scenario packs. I bought Thor and pre-ordered Widow, Hulk, and Strange. How are the scenario packs? I think I'll definitely get Green Goblin when it comes back in stock, but how about the Wrecking Crew?

This will depend a lot on your gaming groups lcg experience and play habits. There's a lot of customization between the heroes and aspects and villains and modular set you use but it's finite. Your group may not be looking to trash the same few villains multiple times. The biggest knock is,coming from Arkham, the game is easy. You can house rule up the difficulty but base game is just way too easy. You'll basically never play normal outside of a few learning games.

Wrecking crew is very easy but plays a good deal different than the other sets. The problem is it's not customizable without house ruling stuff. Goblin is the better pack giving 2 villains and a bunch of modular sets. Mutagen is considered one of the harder scenarios.

Highly recommend Ms marvel to make protection playable (it's garbage without her set) and Capt is incredibly solid/broken and makes leadership bonkers good.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
This will depend a lot on your gaming groups lcg experience and play habits. There's a lot of customization between the heroes and aspects and villains and modular set you use but it's finite. Your group may not be looking to trash the same few villains multiple times. The biggest knock is,coming from Arkham, the game is easy. You can house rule up the difficulty but base game is just way too easy. You'll basically never play normal outside of a few learning games.

Wrecking crew is very easy but plays a good deal different than the other sets. The problem is it's not customizable without house ruling stuff. Goblin is the better pack giving 2 villains and a bunch of modular sets. Mutagen is considered one of the harder scenarios.

Highly recommend Ms marvel to make protection playable (it's garbage without her set) and Capt is incredibly solid/broken and makes leadership bonkers good.

I do plan to get Cap and Ms Marvel once they're back in stock. How does the game play as a solo LCG? I actually plan to do a fair amount of solo play. Is it true that there is no campaign like Arkham? You can just mix villains with scenarios for one-off stories? That part actually sounds pretty appealing to me. My game group also has so many things to play that I think they'd much prefer one-off stuff.

Blank

Oct 27, 2017
I do plan to get Cap and Ms Marvel once they're back in stock. How does the game play as a solo LCG? I actually plan to do a fair amount of solo play. Is it true that there is no campaign like Arkham? You can just mix villains with scenarios for one-off stories? That part actually sounds pretty appealing to me. My game group also has so many things to play that I think they'd much prefer one-off stuff.

I like it solo. You can go true solo or two handed. I play a lot more on TTS because it's much faster to setup and breakdown.

No campaign so nothing carries over. Endings are pretty anticlimactic for that reason but the journey there is fun. The main villain comes prepacked with his own scenario so more limited than that. You can add modular sets which are 5 to 9ish cards that are minor villains but rhino is always the villain for the 'breakin' scheme.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I like it solo. You can go true solo or two handed. I play a lot more on TTS because it's much faster to setup and breakdown.

No campaign so nothing carries over. Endings are pretty anticlimactic for that reason but the journey there is fun. The main villain comes prepacked with his own scenario so more limited than that. You can add modular sets which are 5 to 9ish cards that are minor villains but rhino is always the villain for the 'breakin' scheme.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I was debating between this and that Marvel game that just finished on Kickstarter with all of the minis, but that game looks a bit too simplistic for my tastes. Painting those minis would have been nice, but Champions seems to be more up my alley.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Amazon told me Wingspan would be arriving today so I was ready to try out the solo variant tonight. This morning the delivery changed to Friday. Thanks, Corona.

In the meantime I decided to play Eldritch Horror for the first time in years and I'm getting wrecked.

Also created a public game of Sekigahara on yucata so I could get a practice game since it's been on my shelf since I bought it. Really cool game, I'm terrible but just looking at it makes me want to play more and get better.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My group comes over on Saturdays and they all called and said they weren't going to be here until things calm down. I understand but it sucks, we were finally starting Gloomhaven this weekend.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Just dropping in to say that taking the plunge on Arkham Horror LCG has been tremendous. Such a good game!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played Burgle Bros for the second time in 3 months. It took us half the game for me to realize I'd been doing the security guard's movement wrong and we'd been playing on "no wonder this is crazy hard" hard mode the whole time.

But it's a grand game and I look forward to developing my own scenarios for it, too.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Wow. That's crazy to me. Here in Canada, I wouldn't even think about going to a gaming convention now... even if they were still operating. Things must be different in the UK.

We made sure we were careful as possible by using tables away from the crowds and only nipping back and forth for food/toilets. We kept ourselves as isolated a possible just incase. UK Games Expo is still on for May at the moment but I feel that's going to be cancelled at this rate. We've got an Airbnb that we were going to use to game but we are playing it by ear at the moment. The UK approach to matters at the moment is simply to pretend it isn't on going at the moment. Hell I'm in work and the only difference between a normal working day is people are washing their hands for a little bit longer.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
We made sure we were careful as possible by using tables away from the crowds and only nipping back and forth for food/toilets. We kept ourselves as isolated a possible just incase. UK Games Expo is still on for May at the moment but I feel that's going to be cancelled at this rate. We've got an Airbnb that we were going to use to game but we are playing it by ear at the moment. The UK approach to matters at the moment is simply to pretend it isn't on going at the moment. Hell I'm in work and the only difference between a normal working day is people are washing their hands for a little bit longer.

That's nuts. Stay safe. I don't feel like I am not educated enough on the whole matter to know if Canada is overreacting or what, but almost everyone's work I know has been impacted in some way. Every conference/concert/event I know of has been canceled here.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
That's nuts. Stay safe. I don't feel like I am not educated enough on the whole matter to know if Canada is overreacting or what, but almost everyone's work I know has been impacted in some way. Every conference/concert/event I know of has been canceled here.

Yeah I've got gigs next month which are cancelled and I'm not playing games with friends tonight just incase. Though if people in work end up getting sick well that is on my employer not me- I can't not go to work and they are treating it as BAU even though our fucking CEO has contracted it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good! Enjoy, it's been so much fun. I would look up rules on "committing cards" vs playing them, it's a major rule that I screwed up for the first round of the campaign.
And I'd suggest on The Gathering to read Act 2 very carefully, lots of people either advance that act at an incorrect time or do the actions that lead into Act 3 incorrectly.

For that matter there's a few places where I'd seen tips about commonly misplayed rules, might be worth looking for one; when I get home I'll try to remember to link one.

Edit: Another good'un is when and how the Agenda advances: You total *all* Doom in play, not just that on the card (So if an enemy has Doom on it and is defeated, that Doom is removed from the game and you get a break) - and, unless you get a card effect that explicitly states otherwise, just applying Doom will not in itself advance the Agenda, that will only happen at the correct moment in the Mythos phase. And when it *does* advance, all Doom in play anywhere is removed.

Last edited: