• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have recommendation for really small white boards that'll work with Just One? And fit in the box. Played 10 player over the weekend and worked fine , extra people just used phone to write on and hold up the screen. But wouldn't mind getting extra boards

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Anyone have recommendation for really small white boards that'll work with Just One? And fit in the box. Played 10 player over the weekend and worked fine , extra people just used phone to write on and hold up the screen. But wouldn't mind getting extra boards
Buy a cheap copy for Crosstalk. Little boards, markers, and lots more word cards that work pretty well with Just One.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

That game is soooo good. Best party game in...perhaps ever.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
If you pledged for MBP, Batman and/or Claustrophobia and have no interest in Conan I hope you could gift the coupon to me.

I will check out the campaign but probably won't KS it. I backed MB so you can probably use mine. Follow up with me once the campaign starts..

My copy of Maracaibo shows up today. Lyng, I read your review through auto translation. I am looking for the Euro part of the game and not the pirate part so I am looking forward to trying it out. It is a shame that the rulebook sucks too but there are already lots of videos on how to play. Great review though.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Here is my review of Maracaibo. https://joypad.dk/index.php/anmeldelser/501-anmeldelse-maracaibo

Its in danish but the english translation will be released on Boardgamegeek early next year.
I though you might be curious about my rating so here it is.

We played a learning game of this last night & I'm really torn. Loved Great Western Trail & see the 'enhancements' to make it more open, but there's a lot I disliked. The rules + setup are messy, for sure. Took us far far too long to get rolling with it, and at the end of it, 3/4 of us were a little disatisfied? Messy iconography, cluttered boards too.

I think the direction that a lot of thinky Euros have gone in these past couple of years with more + more boards + tracks + "stuff" to do, is a direction I don't particularly enjoy.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
We played a learning game of this last night & I'm really torn. Loved Great Western Trail & see the 'enhancements' to make it more open, but there's a lot I disliked. The rules + setup are messy, for sure. Took us far far too long to get rolling with it, and at the end of it, 3/4 of us were a little disatisfied? Messy iconography, cluttered boards too.

I think the direction that a lot of thinky Euros have gone in these past couple of years with more + more boards + tracks + "stuff" to do, is a direction I don't particularly enjoy.

That is almost one to one the feeling I had after the first game. Try the base game without any of the campaign bullshit a few more times and I am sure you will uncover the euro gem that is actually hiding behind all the nonsense :)

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I'm looking for a last minute gift/stocking stuffer of sorts. My sister and her husband love bringing card/board games over to our places when we have get together. I'm looking for a recommendation. I dont have anything specific to narrow anything down, so, just anything you could generally recommend to most people. Also, recommendations for games that support up to 10+ people would be nice as well, but not required.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in need of help! In preparation for Christmas, I opened my sealed copy of Root to punch and sort everything. However, the player boards appear to have been damaged from moisture, despite being sealed and are covered in what I can only assume is black mould. Given I bought this in September, am I SOL? Is there anything I can do to clean the player boards and remove the mould?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
That is a bummer and pretty horrifying.

The process to get rid of mold from layered paper components is probably very difficult. Just throw it out and ask for a replacement. At this point your other games are at risk of getting mold on them.

Dehumidify! I should definitely look into ensuring my games are away from moisture.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in need of help! In preparation for Christmas, I opened my sealed copy of Root to punch and sort everything. However, the player boards appear to have been damaged from moisture, despite being sealed and are covered in what I can only assume is black mould. Given I bought this in September, am I SOL? Is there anything I can do to clean the player boards and remove the mould?
You can remove the mould, but some stain will likely remain.

If it's like books, sunlight and dry moving air will kill the mould, e.g. put in sun where it's windy or have a fan blow air over it for at least an hour (sun exposure also damages colour over time, though, so don't leave it all day or something). The usual things that you use to kill mould indoors and remove the stain, like vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or baking soda solutions will probably damage the boards, but you might be able to wipe some of it off by using a mild soapy solution with a damp rag.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
That is a bummer and pretty horrifying.

The process to get rid of mold from layered paper components is probably very difficult. Just throw it out and ask for a replacement. At this point your other games are at risk of getting mold on them.

Dehumidify! I should definitely look into ensuring my games are away from moisture.
You can remove the mould, but some stain will likely remain.

If it's like books, sunlight and dry moving air will kill the mould, e.g. put in sun where it's windy or have a fan blow air over it for at least an hour (sun exposure also damages colour over time, though, so don't leave it all day or something). The usual things that you use to kill mould indoors and remove the stain, like vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or baking soda solutions will probably damage the boards, but you might be able to wipe some of it off by using a mild soapy solution with a damp rag.
Thanks for the suggestions. It's the only board game affected and everything was factory sealed from the box to the player boards. So I'm guessing it happened some time before I purchased it a couple of months ago. I've never had this problem before.

Fortunately, I can see that I ordered the Root Upgrade pack in the Underworld KS and it includes replacement boards, so I can dispose of these. It's due to arrive some time in Jan, so it's not too much longer to wait.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017

My copy of Root had damage to the player boards when we bought it as well and they sent me a whole new copy of the game. Leder may be generous to you regardless of when you bought it, since it stayed sealed and their customer service seems insanely kind.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Hello everyone !
So, I need your help: over ten years ago, we bought a game, but the thing is, we haven't played it at all since then, and no one remembers its rules (and we don't have written rules, or we have lost them). It's a hand-made wooden board (9x10 grid) with 18 pieces (9 black ones and 9 white ones). In two opposite corners, there are 9 of the grid's slots that are darkened (clearly intentional, it's not the same piece of wood) that I suppose are there to point out where we are supposed to put the pieces.
I don't know much about board games, so maybe it's a very common one, but I can't seem to find any answer online.
Iirc we never played it because we didn't like it so much, but I'd like to make sure
Does anyone know this game or its rules ?

Here are some pics:
2L2TaDT.jpg
2WjjdfG.jpg
d3QLyQ9.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions. It's the only board game affected and everything was factory sealed from the box to the player boards. So I'm guessing it happened some time before I purchased it a couple of months ago. I've never had this problem before.

Fortunately, I can see that I ordered the Root Upgrade pack in the Underworld KS and it includes replacement boards, so I can dispose of these. It's due to arrive some time in Jan, so it's not too much longer to wait.
Nice luck. Yeah, then just chuck them out. It's only really worth trying if you can't get replacements or it's expensive to.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone !
So, I need your help: over ten years ago, we bought a game, but the thing is, we haven't played it at all since then, and no one remembers its rules (and we don't have written rules, or we have lost them). It's a hand-made wooden board (9x10 grid) with 18 pieces (9 black ones and 9 white ones). In two opposite corners, there are 9 of the grid's slots that are darkened (clearly intentional, it's not the same piece of wood) that I suppose are there to point out where we are supposed to put the pieces.
I don't know much about board games, so maybe it's a very common one, but I can't seem to find any answer online.
Iirc we never played it because we didn't like it so much, but I'd like to make sure
Does anyone know this game or its rules ?

Here are some pics:
2L2TaDT.jpg
2WjjdfG.jpg
d3QLyQ9.jpg
You could browse through this list and see if anything rings a bell..

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
So, I'm looking for a last minute gift/stocking stuffer of sorts. My sister and her husband love bringing card/board games over to our places when we have get together. I'm looking for a recommendation. I dont have anything specific to narrow anything down, so, just anything you could generally recommend to most people. Also, recommendations for games that support up to 10+ people would be nice as well, but not required.
For 10+, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Just One, The Resistance, One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

Oct 25, 2017
I have bought a Tablettop Simulator from Steam today and I was wondering if anyone can belief or prolong me a tutorial for me through the games so I can experience in variety with my family and friends. Thanks.

I have so far was Superfight, Zombicide, Darkest Night, and Mr. Games. I also picked Catan from Workshop, too.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I finally got Gloomhaven recently because of a good sale that made it free for me after rewards points. It isn't something I'd be able to play with my current group though so it will probably remain unpunched and unsorted for a while.

The Tiny Epic Tactics and Wavelength kickstarters delivered, so I'm hoping to play those soon. I doubt anyone will be meeting up tomorrow night since it is Christmas Eve, and next Tuesday is NYE, so it might be a few weeks. The big thing I'm hyped to play is what I picked up yesterday: the Istanbul Big Box. I'm not sure where I saw talk of Istanbul a few weeks ago but wherever it was got me to check it out and watch some video reviews and tutorials. It looked good and I had some gift cards so I was able to grab the big box for less than the cost of the base game. I'm really excited to try it out though.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Alrighty! Boardgaming pickups throughout december:

7th continent with all extras(weeee)
878 Vikings
Century 3 - A new world
Charterstone
Blackout Hongkong
Whitehall Murders
Tyrants of the Underdark
Kingdomino
Neom
Spirit Island
Kingdom Builder Big Box
Robinson Crusoe Expansion 1+2
Werewolf Legacy

Good haul this year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I finally got Gloomhaven recently because of a good sale that made it free for me after rewards points. It isn't something I'd be able to play with my current group though so it will probably remain unpunched and unsorted for a while.

It does play solo if you would like to try it out. Just make sure you're playing with a party of 3 or 4 characters.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Not for the first play no, but I've not met a person who didn't enjoy it.
I like area control, but I tend to like those games more where the control effects have a very wide variety of tactical options. Inis is a great example, because it affects a wide variety of game mechanics/concepts. Underdark seemed a bit more standard in that regard, with basic +1 effects for the drawing/playing.

Got it because I was curious how much the deck building affects that concept.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can anyone recommend me a good app of guide/tutorial/utility for Gloomhaven? Thanks.
  1. App - Gloomhaven Helper. If you only use one resource, use this! Digitises your party's and monsters health, stats, exp, as well as enemy movement cards and their attack modifiers. Basically means all monster related cards, element board and (if you want) HP/exp dials can stay in the box. Saves SO much time and effort with setup, play and teardown. Also, can be used as a server so people can put in initiative values from their own phone remotely. We have a tablet propped up on display and we enter initiatives on our phone. It keeps everyone's initiative secret until you are all ready.
  2. App - Gloomhaven Scenario Viewer. Is the scenario book, but has everything except the first room blurred put. Just tap to unblur each section. Only needed if your "GM" also wants to stay super spoiler free.
  3. Monster AI quiz - neat way to properly understand monster behaviour and how to deal with various niche situations: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/234575/gloomhaven-rules-quiz
  4. Monster AI flowchart - more of a quick reference for behaviour, good to have handy: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1745116/monster-focus-and-movement-flowchart
  5. Scenario Tree - a nice way to visualise the path of your progress so far. I like to screenshot it and send it as a picture to my party's group chat with little summaries next to each one added in MS paint: https://dmungin.github.io/gloomhaven-scenario-tree-ng/
God knows you need resources for monster behaviour handy. We're about 14 scenarios in and we still make mistakes or need to check sometimes.

You can also Google for more general flowcharts for how to do things whole visiting Gloomhaven, and how to set up scenarios etc but couldn't easily find it on my phone, sorry.

Just keep in mind that the back of the rules book, with the reference for the different icons, also has page numbers next to them so it's really quick and easy to double check the specifics of certain mechanics.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone get any board games for Christmas? Yes, I am an adult. :)

I got Lorenzo il Magnifico: the Card Game.