• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sevacro

Oct 4, 2019
I'll always recommendThe Quest for El Dorado. A card drafting & racing game. Very easy to learn. Very simple. Variable set up as well. Actually perfect at 2 players or 4 players.

The Quacks of Quedlinburg is another great game but pricier. I think the expansion just came out too.
I asked here some time ago for recommendations for my nieces, and among several options the one which really resonated well with them was Incan Gold. Easy enough to understand, and still very enjoyable for adults playing along.
Nice, i'll check those out. My niece of 6 comes around often but all the games I have are for 10+ year olds.

edit: ok my bad I should have specified age better.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, i'll check those out. My niece of 6 comes around often but all the games I have are for 10+ year olds.

edit: ok my bad I should have specified age better.

My youngest niece was fine with Incan Gold at 7, I think 6 is probably workable if she's of the right mindset; the advantage of IG is that the actual decisions required are very simple, and the risk-assessment that's required isn't particularly complicated (the toughest it gets is understanding that after a trap has sprung in one round, it's less likely in later ones)

For Sale's another good choice if you can handle teaching the basic idea of an auction, although you might need to assist a bit with the mathematics depending on how into that she is... and the card art is lovely.

xeris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can you recommend me any games for 5 to 10 years old?

Ice Cool (1 or 2 or both) and Kung Fu Zoo come to mind. Five might be a bit too young, but Rhino Hero Super Battle is also really good. Also Memoarrr. All of those games are fun and the kids have a reasonable shot of beating the adults.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, all the stuff I expected to ship this week didn't. Was expecting :
Abomination
Herb witches
Mega City
Letter jam
Pret a porter

really shocked abomination didn't ship

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I may have purchased the Funkoverse game and its actually really fun? I've been looking for a lighter skirmish-style game to have around as a gateway for my 13yo to play with her friends. While my 13yo will totally play a heavy tabletop minis game with me, that isn't something their friends will try. The IPs available for Funkoverse, and the easy to learn gameplay really fit the bill. Even for being on the simpler side, the way they handle skills and cooldowns is really great and pretty compelling if I'm being honest. Plus, who doesn't want to equip The Joker with Rose's (yes, Rose from Golden Girls) cheesecake as a weapon?

It shouldn't surprise me that it's good. It's Prospero Hall.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I may have purchased the Funkoverse game and its actually really fun? I've been looking for a lighter skirmish-style game to have around as a gateway for my 13yo to play with her friends. While my 13yo will totally play a heavy tabletop minis game with me, that isn't something their friends will try. The IPs available for Funkoverse, and the easy to learn gameplay really fit the bill. Even for being on the simpler side, the way they handle skills and cooldowns is really great and pretty compelling if I'm being honest. Plus, who doesn't want to equip The Joker with Rose's (yes, Rose from Golden Girls) cheesecake as a weapon?

It shouldn't surprise me that it's good. It's Prospero Hall.
Yeah I passed because it really, really reminds me of Heroclix, but with Heroclix it quickly goes off the deep end into complexity whereas the Funkoverse game is sticking very much to mass market appeal. I had a lot of fun with Heroclix for years but the appeal of that kind of tactical skirmish game has kind of worn off, though I do have a bunch of Warhmamer Underworlds that I need to paint up and play.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017
I sundropped my Etherfields minis and you're making me scared. What's the problem with them?

Their sundrop process appears to have got steadily better over the course of their releases LoH was their first and it showed, as a non-painter they look better than grey plastic to me so I'm happy.

I didn't get it for Tainted Grail and regret it a bit now as the latest batch of photos show great improvements, as there also was with Nemesis before that.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Their sundrop process appears to have got steadily better over the course of their releases LoH was their first and it showed, as a non-painter they look better than grey plastic to me so I'm happy.

I didn't get it for Tainted Grail and regret it a bit now as the latest batch of photos show great improvements, as there also was with Nemesis before that.
Just get a can of white spray paint and sprayed it on top of your Tainted Grail miniatures and you get the same result. I got their latest version of Sundrop in the 2nd shipment of Lords of Hellas and they still look like garbage. Not only that since they changed their Sundrop method the miniatures from 1st shipment are now mismatch with the 2nd shipment. It's fairly simply to do a wash if you don't like bare plastic and I would prefer that to having my miniatures get randomly sprayed with white paint.

Last edited:

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Mind showing some pictures?

jiAMxHy.jpg

Adda

Oct 28, 2017
Just get a can of white spray paint and sprayed it on top of your Tainted Grail miniatures and you get the same result. I got their latest version of Sundrop in the 2nd shipment of Lords of Hellas and they still look like garbage. Not only that since they changed their Sundrop method the miniatures from 1st shipment are now mismatch with the 2nd shipment. It's fairly simply to do a wash if you don't like bare plastic and I would prefer that to having my miniatures get randomly sprayed with white paint.
Yeah that Leonidas looks terrible but contrast it with this:
363cdcf9f6428d42c1f2975267a69f23_original.jpg

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah that Leonidas looks terrible but contrast it with this:
363cdcf9f6428d42c1f2975267a69f23_original.jpg
Damn. Now that looks badass - really hoping the Etherfields stuff is looking a little more like this 'cause those other minis posted looked like a serious rush job. With so much cash going into these games I feel like they should be treated carefully.

When are Tainted Grail shipments expected to arrive? That game looks awesome, super jelly.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I heard the nemesis sun drops are much better, and tainted grail might be improved too but idk
I wouldn't know since I am not inclined to spend any more money on their games. I saw Nemesis miniatures at a con and it's better but still terrible you still get mini with glob of "Sundrop". It's a better turd but still a turd.

It seems they moved all their production to China and have everything done there so may be they will get better result as Chinese factory at least have experience with mass produce prepainted miniatures. Tainted Grail "Sundrop" are now just miniatures that had been washed and highlight.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017
just miniatures that had been washed and highlight.

For many people that's perfectly fine though as it's not something they wouldn't do themselves due to whatever constraints (time, ability, confidence), any minis I have intention of painting wouldn't be a good pick for sundrop. Does it/should it look better on the table than grey plastic? In my opinion yes.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Here is someone (not me) unboxing their Sundrop and it looks pretty cool. I am a little more disappointed I didn't do it as the Intruders are a different color than players. Sure they look different but that green really makes them pop.

It should cue up, if not, the minis start at 7:19.

Though this looks like it could be easy for most people to do, 3 coat primer to give it detail:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So I made my list for Essen this year. These are the games I want to try and potentially buy. Thoughts?

1942 USS Yorktown
1987 Channel Tunnel
Babylonia
Cities: Skylines
Fast Sloths
On the Underground: London/Berlin
Paranormal Detectives
Paris: La Cité de la Lumière
Paris: New Eden
Watergate

Wayfinders is a maybe as well. I don't know if stooge made it over to this forum. 😅

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
So I made my list for Essen this year. These are the games I want to try and potentially buy. Thoughts?

1942 USS Yorktown
1987 Channel Tunnel
Babylonia
Cities: Skylines
Fast Sloths
On the Underground: London/Berlin
Paranormal Detectives
Paris: La Cité de la Lumière
Paris: New Eden
Watergate

Wayfinders is a maybe as well. I don't know if stooge made it over to this forum. 😅

You're obligated to take pictures and tell me all you can when you try out City: Skylines!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Nemesis solo is interesting. Glad I tried it before bringing to the table with others. Only rules I am shaky on is if an Intruder attacks but the card doesn't show its icon, does it just miss? That's how I am playing it!

Oct 25, 2017
Had a good board game day today...we liked all that we played.

Played World of Yo-Ho (this is a slick game)
Horrified (Considering this game leans mainstream, it's a bit more strategic than I was expecting...it's good)
Tried out a game I'm personally making. I feel like it went how I was expecting/hoping.
Played two games of Time Chase
Fool's Gold
The Towers of Arkhanos
and finally Imperial Settlers.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, what kind of game are you making, and are you planning to get it published or just doing it for fun?

I'd like to get it published. There's a convention near by that's coming up that's intended for amateur board game developers. Protospiel (there's a bunch of them throughout the year). You can go to show off your WIP games, or even just try them out.

This game is a simple "press your luck" card game. It's called "Just 2 more minutes" You go to bed at 10, wake up at 6, and have to leave for work by 7...however things happen to alter the amount of sleep you get. Whoever manages the most sleep wins.

I have a second game (that's seen a bit more play testing) that I'm taking called "It's Gold!" You're all prospectors hoping around a grid of flipped down cards, you flip them up and try to claim the "gold" by rolling dice. Whoever has the most gold after 10 turns wins.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Played 5 player Nemesis, it wasn't too bad. 2:30~ and an event card put malfunctions everywhere to destroy the ship. I enjoyed it but I often play games with AP sadly. It does seem so easy to be selfish and cause grief for others. For example, one person unintentionally set a trap by leaving the front end of the ship with noise markers so if you need to go there, you are guaranteed to have an Intruder show up.

I got lucky with two easy objects (scan an egg or get off the ship with someone else) but I decided to be thematic as the scientist and do more fun things and scan the egg. I mention grief but I turned off the self-destruct along the way just so someone else couldn't leave and win.

I do think the Mechanic might be a bit OP as he can essentially teleport around the ship with a card.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
I'd like to get it published. There's a convention near by that's coming up that's intended for amateur board game developers. Protospiel (there's a bunch of them throughout the year). You can go to show off your WIP games, or even just try them out.
Have fun at Protospiel and good luck getting your games published! Make sure you approach publishers who fit your style of game, and if you don't succeed, there's always Kickstarter or self publishing on theGameCrafter.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. I hate UPS, and they're always super late around here. Half the time they transfer the delivery to USPS and I hate them even worse, and I usually have to go to the Post office to pick it up.

yeah I hate UPS.FedEx is like 11 am UPS is after 8pm. I'm sure the cheap shipping will drop at Usps too. FedEx cheap shipping still came right to me

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
So much Horrified getting played at my home. The wife and kids have been obsessed for weeks now. We've lost a good number of games too, in a variety of different ways.

Getting ready for Zombicide 2.0 KS at 3 EST. There will be a Zombicide RPG as an addon too.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So much Horrified getting played at my home. The wife and kids have been obsessed for weeks now. We've lost a good number of games too, in a variety of different ways.

Getting ready for Zombicide 2.0 KS at 3 EST. There will be a Zombicide RPG as an addon too.

This is going to be the first game that uses their digital tabletop thing, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone use UPS my choice? When does it update, when label I created or after it's scanned? FedEx Sent an email the second a label was created. mini mart doesn't send tracking until like 2 days after they ship so hoping ups my choice will do it before then