• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Got Obscurio today, and Unmatched yesterday. My buddy went to Mondocon over the weekend and got me the exclusive Bruce Lee character.

Tapestry arrived today, too, as well as my group order of the new Century Golem Edition version. Court of the Dead gets here Saturday, and my Box of Evil for Hellboy is early next week. >.>

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't done more than glance in the package yet - I had to leave for work - but my Too Many Bones has turned up. Looking forward to picking that apart!

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
UK. I haven't looked what's in this package in detail, but I got the everything bundle, so it might only be stuff from an initial wave.

Ah, that makes sense. Europeans have been getting their orders.

I went all in and added split shipping. I'm supposed to get everything released prior to Splice and Dice. The premium health tokens are delayed though.

I just really wanna play it already.

Oct 25, 2017
Got Obscurio today, and Unmatched yesterday. My buddy went to Mondocon over the weekend and got me the exclusive Bruce Lee character.

Tapestry arrived today, too, as well as my group order of the new Century Golem Edition version. Court of the Dead gets here Saturday, and my Box of Evil for Hellboy is early next week. >.>

Whoa nice haul.
The next Gollum is on my list.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I just received my copy of Tapestry! It was delivered a day early, so I'll have it for the weekend. I'm excited to give this game a try.

Edit: Box number 556 out of 25000

Last edited:

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Just an FYI, for those who own Pax Pamir 2E, and want the metal coins, Drew from Wehrlegig games just sent out the following:

Originally we had planned on doing a small run of metal coins, but, with a potential future print run of Pax Pamir happening in the future, it made much more sense to just wait until the next printing before manufacturing (and shipping) a very small quantity of coins. That said, we have gathered our remaining stocks from our other distribution hubs and will sell the final stock of these coins on our webstore Saturday 9/21 at 11am CDT. We don't have too many remaining, so if you are interested in getting these coins this year, this weekend is your chance. US+CA+EU+AU shipping for coins only. If you miss out, don't worry, we will be doing more coins eventually, but you might have to wait several months or so.

I highly highly recommend the coins. They are lovely looking and feeling and really give that extra bit to the overall gorgeous production of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI, for those who own Pax Pamir 2E, and want the metal coins, Drew from Wehrlegig games just sent out the following:

Originally we had planned on doing a small run of metal coins, but, with a potential future print run of Pax Pamir happening in the future, it made much more sense to just wait until the next printing before manufacturing (and shipping) a very small quantity of coins. That said, we have gathered our remaining stocks from our other distribution hubs and will sell the final stock of these coins on our webstore Saturday 9/21 at 11am CDT. We don't have too many remaining, so if you are interested in getting these coins this year, this weekend is your chance. US+CA+EU+AU shipping for coins only. If you miss out, don't worry, we will be doing more coins eventually, but you might have to wait several months or so.

I highly highly recommend the coins. They are lovely looking and feeling and really give that extra bit to the overall gorgeous production of the game.

I just picked this up used for 40, wouldn't mind coins. Any idea how much they'll be?

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Still haven't played Tapestry yet (I'll probably be able to play it tonight), but I was organizing the box, and can I say how impressed I am about the quality of the components?

Everything has such a high quality feeling to it. The heavy cardboard, the rugged and textured paper from the components of the player mats, the linen cards, the beautiful rounded game board, the high quality plastic of some pieces, the very good-looking painted minis... even the rulebook is made out of this extravagantly textured paper. Everything feels so awesome. I've rarely seen so many high-quality components for a board game coming by default in the box.

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't played Tapestry yet (I'll probably be able to play it tonight), but I was organizing the box, and can I say how impressed I am about the quality of the components?

Everything has such a high quality feeling to it. The heavy cardboard, the rugged and textured paper from the components of the player mats, the linen cards, the beautiful rounded game board, the high quality plastic of some pieces, the very good-looking painted minis... even the rulebook is made out of this extravagantly textured paper. Everything feels so awesome. I've rarely seen so many high-quality components for a board game coming by default in the box.

It's so nice to have a super high quality gam out of the box.

Oct 26, 2017
Tom Vasel just reviewed tapestry. He liked but he's pretty lukewarm about it

BGG's Gamenight had a similar reaction to Tapestry. They felt the game rewards players replaying it again and again to know what they are doing and develop new strategies, but some seemed to be on the fence at whether they would be willing to make and enjoy that commitment. It would probably make a great digital adaptation where repeated play throughs to get familiar with everything is not only quicker but there would be far less to keep track of as the computer would handle that for each player. Seems highly likely it would get the digital treatment like almost all the other Stonemaier games have.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy of Tapestry today and did a solo run through. (Not using the automa, more just going through the motions of taking turns to get a feel of doing things in the game.)

I'm looking forward to playing it with friends.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Played my first game of Wingspan while also using the Automa. Really enjoyed it, the game is just beautiful and I like how the Automa plays using modified rules & is really simple to complete turns for, it really helps you to remain focussed upon your own board rather than feeling like you are micromanaging another player.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Played "I Am the Fourth Wall" and "Cartographers" tonight.

I think there is potential in "I Am the Fourth Wall" but having the rules split over three different books was a terrible decision. It's an Arkham Horror-like card game, that can be played as one versus all, or co-op versus AI. It's asymmetrical when played 1vAll, so they decided to have a rulebook for the investigators, a rulebook for The Wall (the ancient one), and then another one for when you play co-op. This results in looking in all three books when playing co-op since it uses rules from each of the other two. Was pretty frustrating for that. We won pretty easily against the AI, but will try it again as 1vAll.

Cartographers is still great. My wife walloped the 13yo and me this time. It's going to get a lot of play. It's so easy to set up, teach, and play, and is very fun with great replayability.

Also played Unmatched for the second time yesterday. It's great, but I'm 0-2. Lost as King Arthur to Bruce Lee on Friday, then as Sinbad to Alice yesterday. I'm not really looking at the characters to get a feel for how they're supposed to play before playing, so that isn't helping, but I'm still having fun.

Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of fun playing that a couple of weeks ago. We thought we did something wrong because in our three player game, the scores felt really high, but we enjoyed it. It looks great on the table, and the KS upgrades are very nice.

I kickstarted it, but out of curiosity what is the retail version like? I didn't even realize it had KS upgrades ha.
Loved it

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you to those who recommended Parks: The Board Game. I received a copy of the Kickstarter Edition today and it was worth every dollar. The components are absolutely gorgeous, as is the artwork. It is simple to play, yet has a good amount of strategy. I've only played solo so far, but the solo variant felt well balanced and challenging. I was only able to score 19 points as the Rangers kept discarding the high value parks and ending seasons quickly.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My family played 4 games of Horrified yesterday, clocking in at an hour each. We won 3, lost one. That game is SO GOOD!

I just received my Kickstarter copy of War of the Worlds. They accidently sent me 2 copies as well as 2 deluxe game mats! I double checked and I only paid for one. Oops!

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you to those who recommended Parks: The Board Game. I received a copy of the Kickstarter Edition today and it was worth every dollar. The components are absolutely gorgeous, as is the artwork. It is simple to play, yet has a good amount of strategy. I've only played solo so far, but the solo variant felt well balanced and challenging. I was only able to score 19 points as the Rangers kept discarding the high value parks and ending seasons quickly.

It's so good and so beautiful and the storage is fantastic

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Played "I Am the Fourth Wall" and "Cartographers" tonight.

I think there is potential in "I Am the Fourth Wall" but having the rules split over three different books was a terrible decision. It's an Arkham Horror-like card game, that can be played as one versus all, or co-op versus AI. It's asymmetrical when played 1vAll, so they decided to have a rulebook for the investigators, a rulebook for The Wall (the ancient one), and then another one for when you play co-op. This results in looking in all three books when playing co-op since it uses rules from each of the other two. Was pretty frustrating for that. We won pretty easily against the AI, but will try it again as 1vAll.
I didn't mind the rules split over 3 books. The only thing that bothered me was needing them to look up terms, so what I did was snag the print and play version of the rules and take the terms from them, and on my first page all the terms for the players and on the second page all the terms for the evil side and then just printed off double sided which basically solved all my issues with the rule books.

The only other issue I ran into is the guy with 3hp on the small card his ability costs 1 while on his big card it costs 0.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the rules split over 3 books. The only thing that bothered me was needing them to look up terms, so what I did was snag the print and play version of the rules and take the terms from them, and on my first page all the terms for the players and on the second page all the terms for the evil side and then just printed off double sided which basically solved all my issues with the rule books.

The only other issue I ran into is the guy with 3hp on the small card his ability costs 1 while on his big card it costs 0.

That's a good idea. I'll have to do that.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I played Terraforming Mars on Steam last night against the AI and I really enjoyed it. This game is GREAT. I recall that this game had a number of negative reviews on Steam when it launched, and while its not completely perfect, it plays fine if all you're looking for is a way to play TM against AI rather than the solo mode. The original development group has left though, so I don't know if it will get any updates, but if there was an update, I'd like to see the following things improved.

- Creating a player profile, and logging stats and plays
- A single player campaign or a tournament or something rather than just single plays of the game.
- More help text when the mouse runs over tags and icons to help beginner players.
- An undo button!
- Fixing some of the text overruns on cards

What I love most about TM is really how the unique 200+ cards changes up the game and strategy every time. The game is also quite punishing and is a really fine tuned balancing act of long term and short term strategy of playing/buying the cards in front of you. It is also an incredible 2 player game honestly - and while some people may say - the board is really open, i have to disagree, both players have the exact same situation, so there's still the race to get to the best spots.

The other thing is - the 'take that' cards work best in 2 player. I know some people don't like 'take that' cards, but it works really well in TM, its so tactical, being able to time it to take 8 plants away when someone has 8 plants is good play (and of course being able to 'value' the card and whether its a good purchase is part of good play as well). In 3 or 4 player mode - the take that cards don't work so well, Player 1 has given up 3 credits to buy the card and 'X' number of credits to play the card, and Player 2 gives up whatever the card says to give up, leaving Player 3 and 4 with the advantage. I had a 3 player game, where two players played take that cards against each other, and allowed Player 3 to squeak a victory.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Because this is (mostly) about unplugged boardgames I might snag in a new digital CCG called Mythgard. It's out on Steam, Android and Google Play with full crossplay and the game is STELLAR. I already tried to raise some awareness in the Gaming Board, but no one cares. Maybe here. Don't sleep on this if you like card games.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Nice!
I'm gonna make my wife do it haha. Do you have to cut it down to size or anything or does it peel right off and just the tower? Or excess plastic to cut?

I didn't cut it. I tried to align the whole transparent sticker a few times, and when I was satisfied with the placement, I just applied pressure with my finger on the black tower for the vinyl underneath to transfer on the tile. After that I very slowly removed the sticker, and the tower stayed in place.

Last edited: