• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Shipping cost is unfortunately a huge depressor on used board game prices. I've been trading and selling games for years now and people just don't want to pay the current cost of shipping (it's like $15 bucks per game). It basically makes me ask for less money.

It also doesn't help that they are used to "free" shipping from meeting minimums on their favorite online game shops, or "free" shipping through Amazon Prime.

Id say the 20% fee seems well worth it for the trouble and effort saved.

Yep I think 20 percent is a steal. ESP for lower priced games. I sold a bunch for $20 or so. Those would be $35 shipped on BGG. I make what I originally wanted and the buyer gets a deal.

It's fantastic and it seems to be blowing up so it's a big hit there.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think Gloomhaven is too much to throw at an 11-year-old, certainly one new to dungeon crawling board games. Maybe something to look at in a year or so though, if you guys are having fun with the genre.

This is probably not up your alley either because you enjoy board game aesthetics so much, but the Four Against Darkness booklet is basically a very simple set of rules for generating a random PnP dungeon crawling adventure. It would be great to play with imaginative kids but again it's just drawing boxes on graph paper. I think they released an adventure module or two for it though.

I think Gloomhaven is tough for an 11 year old, they could play most of it, but there's tons of rules. You wouldn't have to play perfectly, but there are easier games.

What about runebound, it's cheap on Amazon now, and it's a nice adventure game. I haven't played it but I got a copy. There's a coop expansion unbreakable bonds (which is a bit difficult to find, maybe you can get it second hand or print and play some of the pieces which allow you to play the original scenarios coop).

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I just wish shipping board games was more economical. Definitely some good stuff in there. I will be musing about a couple, for sure.

Board game industry could start by having smaller boxes, that would help when calculating a parcel with size dimensions and or freight in general because you can fit more copies per container/shipment (lower costs per box).

Oct 26, 2017
Seems Horrified and other strategy games will be 20% off at Target next week(tomorrow). Problem is no one around my area has it in stock.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Board game industry could start by having smaller boxes, that would help when calculating a parcel with size dimensions and or freight in general because you can fit more copies per container/shipment (lower costs per box).

Sorry, but publishers have decided that the more a box inconveniences literally everybody involved in the process of making a game and getting it to your home, the more subconsciously impressive and valuable it is.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
pic1991004.jpg

Splendor: Travel edition anyone?

Sorry, but publishers have decided that the more a box inconveniences literally everybody involved in the process of making a game and getting it to your home, the more subconsciously impressive and valuable it is.

Especially when they're like Arkham Horror LCG boxes and you can't even use the box to store the cards sideways standing up, like most people would want to. No they're going to sell you another box instead! /end mini rant. :D

I'll probably be getting that box sometime in the future....

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting to me that publishers still care a lot about retail presence (box size) given that I assume online sales probably outpace local sales at this point, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Cosmic Encounter is the most divisive board game I have played/owner. When I show it to people, they either absolutely love it or hate it. I wonder if it's divisive here too.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel like Cosmic Encounter is the most divisive board game I have played/owner. When I show it to people, they either absolutely love it or hate it. I wonder if it's divisive here too.

I really like it but I can totally get why some people would hate it. It's a pure negotiation game and you have to trust people aren't going to stab you in the back. This can easily lead to king making depending upon the group. Also if you aren't helping to take part in a lot of combat in a game with a higher player count you can go awhile without having anything to do.

Unrelated complaint about kickstarter games, if you have KS exclusives please make one of your stretch goals a KS exclusive box that holds everything. There is nothing more infuriating then getting a second tiny box with a few components that don't fit with your default insert -.- (bust from awkward guest)

Wurst

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like Everdell will have another Kickstarter for two new expansions (Bellaire&Spirecrest) which have a nice boxart as usual.

I don't own Everdell but I'm spellbound by it. It looks incredible and it looks right up my alley gameplaywise. I love engine builders and love me some worker placement... so I'd be ready to jump on the kickstarter this time. I keep hearing lukewarm reviews for it, though.

What's everyone's thoughts about Everdell? Worth the 100$+ it'll probably cost with all the expansions. Do you still play it?

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
So once I ripped the bandaid off, selling games I haven't played for a while (or ever) has been much easier. I've added a ton of games to my list, and since we really don't have a board game B/S/T thread like video games do in community, I'm just going to post my list here. PM me if you're interested in anything.

What did you think of Dungeon Degenerates? I might be interested but I can't find much in the way of reviews. Is it a campaign game?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Played Cartographers last night, and it may be my favorite Roll 'n Write style game yet. I'll need to laminate some sheets for dry-erasing.

What did you think of Dungeon Degenerates? I might be interested but I can't find much in the way of reviews. Is it a campaign game?

I enjoyed it, but I have too much in the way of RPG adventure games in my collection already. This was the review that sold me on it initially.

It has some campaign-style elements, yes. Lots of variety. I bought all of the gameplay relevant content, too.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Going back to the full sized cards of Arkham Horror after playing a few games with mini cards recently just feels magical.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like Everdell will have another Kickstarter for two new expansions (Bellaire&Spirecrest) which have a nice boxart as usual.

I don't own Everdell but I'm spellbound by it. It looks incredible and it looks right up my alley gameplaywise. I love engine builders and love me some worker placement... so I'd be ready to jump on the kickstarter this time. I keep hearing lukewarm reviews for it, though.

What's everyone's thoughts about Everdell? Worth the 100$+ it'll probably cost with all the expansions. Do you still play it?

I love Everdell it's in my top 5 games of all time
Do you have link for info on the new Kickstarter?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Any time I've sold boardgames online, it would be in bundles to make shipping more manageable. Just shove a bunch of games in a box. Shipping one game or such just isn't worth it. I hold onto some games in my collection that are total crap because I can't really sell them for anything online

That's awesome and such a good use of a store's space and presence. Is there any reason this doesn't make sense?

Floor space? Most of our shops around here are jammed with product, they would not really have much room to start offering peoples used games I think.

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Any time I've sold boardgames online, it would be in bundles to make shipping more manageable. Just shove a bunch of games in a box. Shipping one game or such just isn't worth it. I hold onto some games in my collection that are total crap because I can't really sell them for anything online

How many games are you shoving in a box and how much does it cost to ship?

Oct 25, 2017
Got to play a 3 player Tapestry tonight and loved it.

Setup took longer than expected . Watching the how it's played video helped a lot.

By our second turns we were flying and having no issues.
Took us about 3 hours though including setup. But there was lots of looking at reference sheet since we didn't know icons yet

I am dying to play it again.

On a side note: I shouldn't have spent $12 on extra dice. There is 100 percent no need for everyone to have their own set. Oh well

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
How many games are you shoving in a box and how much does it cost to ship?

Depends on the sizes of the games, but I usually try to sell bundles of games, nothing huge like any of those long box FFG old games or such, but ground ship for a bunch of games 20-35 to ship. Never really gonna make money selling board games like this but it's a way to get rid of a bunch of junk you might have laying around and make a little back at least. Reselling boardgames is a pain

Oct 26, 2017
Got Through the Ages on iOS since it is on sale and have been consumed by it. I need way more time with it but i suuuuuuuck so far at it. There's so much going on and it seems you can get really screwed by card draw. I'm loving it though.

Seems it is still on sale for $5.99 on iOS and Android.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
7th Continent re-print/classic edition is now up on the Serious Poulp website.

Anyone ever had a chance to play this? Pretty tempted to give it a shot as I am primarily a solo gamer and know this is supposed to be good playing that way. I just don't know what the value is like with less of the cards/curses.

EDIT: Ordered it, willing to give it a go.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The family and I played a super tight game of Horrified last night. It's funny how as the monster deck gets lower, people start taking the game a lot more seriously all of a sudden! I've also gotten my first monster group and survivor painted for Monster Slaughter. Can't wait to get that one to the table.

Oct 25, 2017
Over the weekend I played a 5 player game of Empires and Tokaido. Empires was actually pretty good, just a little too long to get it to the table very often. Tokaido was fun. I'm glad I picked that one up. It'd been on my to get list for a while.

Hoping my copy of Tapestry comes in this week.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the sizes of the games, but I usually try to sell bundles of games, nothing huge like any of those long box FFG old games or such, but ground ship for a bunch of games 20-35 to ship. Never really gonna make money selling board games like this but it's a way to get rid of a bunch of junk you might have laying around and make a little back at least. Reselling boardgames is a pain

Noble Knights Games buys used games (as opposed to selling used games on commission), and I live close enough by to them sothat I don't have to mail anything to them, I can just drive over.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I received my tracking number for Tapestry on Friday, but it really only shipped today. And the expected delivery is set for next Monday... it means I most probably won't receive it for the weekend. Oh well...

At least it shipped. Apparently they sold more copies in Canada than expected, and every order that didn't ship yet will have to wait next week because the Canadian distributor is waiting for more copies from Stonemaier Games.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Played first game of Cloudspire 2 player tonight. I really messed up playing the Griege faction and picked some dump advancements that left me wide open for destruction. Still was fun.

Played PARKS, pretty and fun. Wondering if it might play a little long but there was some good, light strategy at the end going on.

And just got Century: Eastern Mountins in the mail today so I got to learn that real quick like! Feels good to be gaming again.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any sites that, either news or retail, that have a "New Releases This Week" list? I really wish that there was more organization around board game releases than what currently seems to exist. I understand that logistically they're very different than say, video games, but places should at least gave a good idea of what they're getting for the week at the beginning of it.

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up Horrified. Perfect storm of it being on sale, me having a gift card, and already having to go there to pick up other things and it was in stock. Now I got cool it with new purchases, next one I'm looking at is Marvel Champions.

Excited to play Vindication tonight. Hopeful to squeeze in a couple of other games as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any sites that, either news or retail, that have a "New Releases This Week" list? I really wish that there was more organization around board game releases than what currently seems to exist. I understand that logistically they're very different than say, video games, but places should at least gave a good idea of what they're getting for the week at the beginning of it.

I want this too. I hate how games are just listed as Q3, or if you're lucky maybe a month. But is "Sept" sept 1st? Or Sept 30th? Ug

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Boardgamegeek has a Gone Cardboard widget. That's the only source I've ever seen that is somewhat reliable

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Played first game of Cloudspire 2 player tonight. I really messed up playing the Griege faction and picked some dump advancements that left me wide open for destruction. Still was fun.

What do you think of Cloudspire in general? How is it as a table top moba? Wish I could've added it to my Too Many Bones pledge.

Not a board game but the Root RPG is on Kickstarter. Can even download some quick start rules.
Very interested in it myself.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
What do you think of Cloudspire in general? How is it as a table top moba? Wish I could've added it to my Too Many Bones pledge.

Not a board game but the Root RPG is on Kickstarter. Can even download some quick start rules.
Very interested in it myself.

I am liking it. It is a lot to take in at first as each faction has different units and different abilities that I can see a lot of depth with strategy. My friend wasn't sure how he felt about the 1 on 1 but you can play it solo, 2vAI, 1v1v1v1, 2v2, etc (up to 4 players) so there is more variety there.

Game is 4 waves or until only one fortress stands (or whoever has most strength at the end). You have a few phases but the last one is the meat of it.
  1. event card phase
  2. income phase (get energy)
  3. market phase (buy 1 thing)
  4. build phase (use as much energy as you want to build/upgrade your fortress)
  5. prep (decide what units you release that wave)
  6. onslaught (move/fight)
Onslaught lasts until ALL minions have been destroyed. Minions always make forward progress moving max movement if they can. Heroes are your controlled players. If the other team(s) don't have any minions and you still have your minions and hero, your hero rests and you just run the minions until they are dead. Heroes stay on the board until dead and done for good. Heroes and minions do straight combat, if target is still alive, they make one retaliation attack. Spires (tower defense part) roll dice for their attacks.

While it is a big, HEAVY box, I like how it is easy to set-up. Lay down the map, pick your faction, shuffle landmark chips/place on board, and start. I think it is easier to follow than TMB but it is a different type of game. The Solo, co-op, and Griege expansion comes with mini-campaigns that complicate the set-up play with AI rules but it also adds a story and has a continuing effects across one scenario to the next. I need to play and really looking forward to it.

PS: I am interested in that ROOT RPG (even though I have two other RPGs that I haven't played yet) but disappointed that the Vagabond Satchel is not an actual satchel!

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Have any of you already gotten your copies of Tapestry? I got a second email essentially telling me not to ask for a shipping date, so people must be asking them a lot.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best... let's call it "confrontational" games you guys have/know? Preferably without player elimination altogether if it's a reasonably long game.

By "confrontational" I mean games like Avalon where you're somewhat actively working against other people at the table - I'd probably also throw in Betrayal or King of Tokyo in that same category. Less "I need to do my own thing better than other people" to win, more "i need to actively beat other people to win". Avalon for obvious reasons isn't so good for smaller groups and I'm really looking for something in the 2 or 4-player slot.

Hard to describe, hope it came across somewhat-understandable.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What's the best... let's call it "confrontational" games you guys have/know? Preferably without player elimination altogether if it's a reasonably long game.

By "confrontational" I mean games like Avalon where you're somewhat actively working against other people at the table - I'd probably also throw in Betrayal or King of Tokyo in that same category. Less "I need to do my own thing better than other people" to win, more "i need to actively beat other people to win". Avalon for obvious reasons isn't so good for smaller groups and I'm really looking for something in the 2 or 4-player slot.

Hard to describe, hope it came across somewhat-understandable.

I'm a big fan of smash up in this category, great from 2-4 (best at 3), no player elimination, lots of fun take that without it getting egregious, and tons of content to make every play unique.

Star/Hero Realms are also great as a 2 player competitive deck builder. You can play 3-6 as well but it's best at 2. Same with summoner wars though that isn't a deck builder more a choose your deck (does 2 or 4 but is best at 2)

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about them, but I am and mine hasn't shipped yet.

There's a BGG update from Jamey:

All fulfillment centers are shipping Champion orders first. I sent these fulfillment centers their original inventory weeks before the preorder began. They've only shipped Champion orders so far, but they ran out of the original inventory, and now we're air freighting more to them to make up for the difference between what they were originally sent and what they need. Because of our method of shipping so soon after the preorder period (unlike a Kickstarter, for which you need to wait 8-12 months, not 2-3 weeks like with our games), it means that I need to guess well in advance of the preorder. I'm sorry my guess wasn't more accurate.

I guess they ran out at some centers.
I wonder how they are shipping? By order number/first come or by location

Orders start at 33000. I was 33094 so maybe that helped me

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's a BGG update from Jamey:

All fulfillment centers are shipping Champion orders first. I sent these fulfillment centers their original inventory weeks before the preorder began. They've only shipped Champion orders so far, but they ran out of the original inventory, and now we're air freighting more to them to make up for the difference between what they were originally sent and what they need. Because of our method of shipping so soon after the preorder period (unlike a Kickstarter, for which you need to wait 8-12 months, not 2-3 weeks like with our games), it means that I need to guess well in advance of the preorder. I'm sorry my guess wasn't more accurate.

I guess they ran out at some centers.
I wonder how they are shipping? By order number/first come or by location

Orders start at 33000. I was 33094 so maybe that helped me

I'm #42247.