• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So I think I'm going to bust out Fortune and Glory for some dumb Ameritrash Indiana Jones style solo fun.

I've had it for a long time but never bothered to learn how to play it. Anyone here have any experience with it?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
So I think I'm going to bust out Fortune and Glory for some dumb Ameritrash Indiana Jones style solo fun.

I've had it for a long time but never bothered to learn how to play it. Anyone here have any experience with it?
It's one of those games I've always kinda wanted to own, but I've just never pulled the trigger on it mostly because I'm sure it's not that great of a game and I would find it hard to get to the table. But I do love the cheesy pulp theme.

Oct 25, 2017
I sold my copy of Fortune and Glory. I really like the idea of it (especially the cliffhanger mechanic), and once it's to the table there is certainly fun to be had. However, I have the following problems with it:

It's really fiddly. There are a lot of optional rules, even without the expansions and if you don't get it to the table often, it's really hard to keep track of them all

It's really hard to get to the table. it has a lot of components and takes up a lot of space.

It's easy to have a dead turn. A turn where you're trying to get from point A to point B and you don't roll enough movement...and then don't get an event where you're at, so you did nothing for your turn.

Even with breaking up turns into sections, there can still be a lot of downtime for players, especially at higher player counts (Never play this game 8 player. 4 is the max, and even then expect a couple hours of playing).

Honestly, as I said I sold off Fortune and Glory...but I kept Eldritch Horror. I feel that EH fills the same niche as F&G and does it a fair bit better (Movement is better, the components feel easier to deal with, and you generally always get an event so no dead turns...unless you're dead. ;) It does take away the PvP possibilities of F&G, though). If I want a pulp fiction, globe trotting Ameritrash game, Eldritch Horror is my choice.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Root is a lot more complex than wingspan. I played with a group of 4 and we watched a 20 min how to play first. It took us a few rounds to get the hang of it but after it clicked we loved it
Complexity is fine. I've played Kingdom Death, Scythe, Eldritch/Arkham Horror, Terraforming Mars, and Terra Mystica, so I bet I'll be okay! I look forward to trying out, but this isn't ideal:

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit confused. I also see this upgrade pack. Is this a third print of the core game making that irrelevant?

yeah the upgrade pack is new rulebook + stickers for the errata and balance changes for 1st and 2nd printings if you already own one of those. The base game offered here is the new printing with all that stuff already

the new expansion (underworld) is actually sold out through the PM so the only way to get that is to wait for retail which is kind of a bummer

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
yeah the upgrade pack is stickers for the errata and balance changes for 1st and 2nd printings if you already own one of those

the new expansion (underworld) is actually sold out through the PM so the only way to get that is to wait for retail which is kind of a bummer
I'm really getting myself into an ordeal here, ain't I? haha. I think I'll pre-order core and Riverfolk. If I play it before then and somehow hate it, I'll cancel.

Wurst

Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys!
My gf and I play a lot.
Recently, we got addicted to Terraforming Mars and played it 30 times in the past month. We love every single match.

Admittedly, we removed sabotage cards and don't steal each others resources. We quickly learned that we aren't the overly competitive types. We like to co-op and like to build and develop stuff. We also love Dominion for that reason.

We're on the lookout for more games that might fill that itch. We do have a lot of coop games and a few unplayed ones (7 wonders duel, spirit Island)

I'm looking for recommendations for: complex games that run well with 2p, deck building is a plus, not overly conflict oriented

I was looking at Underwater Cities, Scythe (which might be too competitive), Gaia project, terra mystica, wingspan or great Western trail. Might any of these work?

Thanks in advance!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys!
My gf and I play a lot.
Recently, we got addicted to Terraforming Mars and played it 30 times in the past month. We love every single match.

Admittedly, we removed sabotage cards and don't steal each others resources. We quickly learned that we aren't the overly competitive types. We like to co-op and like to build and develop stuff. We also love Dominion for that reason.

We're on the lookout for more games that might fill that itch. We do have a lot of coop games and a few unplayed ones (7 wonders duel, spirit Island)

I'm looking for recommendations for: complex games that run well with 2p, deck building is a plus, not overly conflict oriented

I was looking at Underwater Cities, Scythe (which might be too competitive), Gaia project, terra mystica, wingspan or great Western trail. Might any of these work?

Thanks in advance!
Co op... deck building...
I would give Aeon's end a look. It plays quite well with two players.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys!
My gf and I play a lot.

Thanks in advance!

for cooperative deck builders:

Aeon's End
Heroes of Tenefyr I own but haven't played but the co op is the reason I got it (and I think it looks great)
The Legendary Encounters games are well regarded in some circles (I think the main complaints are that they are somewhat "solvable" but aliens is what i've played and its great)
Dragonfire/shadowrun crossfire have campaign modes. I like em both

Wurst

Oct 28, 2017
Aeon's end crossed my path a lot lately! That one will be on my watchlist.

What about some great non-coop games?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys!
My gf and I play a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Race for the Galaxy might interest you if you two love Terrarorming Mars.

Robinson Crusoe is a great co-op game where you talk through strategy, build stuff and play through different scenarios.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Hi guys!
My gf and I play a lot.

Thanks in advance!
Go play Spirit Island! It's pretty much what you're looking for. Also, if you want a proper deckbuilding game, you still can't beat Dominion.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Go play Spirit Island! It's pretty much what you're looking for. Also, if you want a proper deckbuilding game, you still can't beat Dominion.
I would consider dozens of deckbuilders better than dominion, but alas Dominon is one of my least favorite deck builders and not everyone has the same tastes :P

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Ahh yes the elitist route of claiming the game you champion is the good one and anything else is the bad one. You're really selling people on Dominion.
Hardly. I simply think that Dominion is mechanically superior to most of the other deckbuilders out there. It's not my favorite of these, I don't own it, and it's definitely not my most played. If you don't like it, that's fine but that dislike doesn't necessarily say much about how good it is.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My deckbuilder of choice is definitely Aeon's End, but for a gateway deckbuilder with no fluff that I can easily teach, Dominion does the job admirably.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys!
My gf and I play a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Heya just wanted to say I've also been playing 2 player TM with my brother. I'd suggest giving the sabotage cards another shot, it takes the game up another level in terms of intensity, depending on if that's what you like or not. One of our recent games, my brother was able to use the sabotage cards right when I was going to use my resources like 3 times, in a game of limited rounds, I was livid!! But I could see why I wouldn't want to leave them out of the game because TM at 2 players is beautiful and offers a number of ways to compete with your opponent. Taking out the sabotage cards takes away one area to compete in and having them in means it's harder to cover everything. You have to concede something.

Other deck builders, I suggest Arkham Horror LCG, if you don't mind hard games (can lower the difficulty though) or the other LCGs such as Game of Thrones or Legend of the 5 Rings.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Dominion sux dont @ me

I only played dominion once and it was fine, but it's kinda tame compared to FFG LCGs, the FFG games have so much thematic presence, and the artwork and presentation is on another level.

And I played Dominion before I played FFG LCGs. I guess if you want a eurogame deck builder, go Dominion but I'd get Arkham core box over it for sure.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Speaking of Aoen's End, just got New Age in the mail! Excited! Still have yet to play my Aeon's End: Legacy cause I haven't found a stable enough group of people to go through it with, but New Age is at least more like classic AE so it should work to bring out.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
I only played dominion once and it was fine, but it's kinda tame compared to FFG LCGs, the FFG games have so much thematic presence, and the artwork and presentation is on another level.

And I played Dominion before I played FFG LCGs. I guess if you want a eurogame deck builder, go Dominion but I'd get Arkham core box over it for sure.

Dominion vs Arkham Horror LCG are very different game experiences with different uses of the term "deckbuilding". The LCGs you bring up are all about crafting a deck ahead of time & then either going head to head or completing an adventure together, rather than the in-game deck building that the likes of Dominon/Aeons End/Thunderstone use. Everything you said about theme & presentation is true, but that doesn't mean someone wants to worry about having to craft a deck ahead of a game.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Dominion vs Arkham Horror LCG are very different game experiences with different uses of the term "deckbuilding". The LCGs you bring up are all about crafting a deck ahead of time & then either going head to head or completing an adventure together, rather than the in-game deck building that the likes of Dominon/Aeons End/Thunderstone use. Everything you said about theme & presentation is true, but that doesn't mean someone wants to worry about having to craft a deck ahead of a game.
Totally agree here. I think a distinction should be made in the hobby with deck-building (Dominion, Aeon's End, Ascension) vs. deck construction (Magic, Arkham, Pokemon). BGG lists the later types of games as "hand management," but I don't think that really takes into account the pre-game tasks of actually making your deck.

I personally still find Dominion enjoyable. Even though I haven't played it in years, I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to play it. I would also recommend it as an entry-level game to deck-building, or just the hobby in general. It's got enough expansions that you can keep it interesting and entertaining for a long time.

The only other deck-building games I still enjoy are Clank, and Aeon's End Legacy. Vanilla Aeon's End fell pretty flat for me, as I felt I was just doing the same actions every few turns due to the non-shuffling mechanic. Maybe that's a by-product of how I was playing, I don't know. It is very highly regarded.

Other deck-builders I've played and have either been shelved/sold off, or don't really interest me a whole lot are Legendary, Thunderstone, and maybe a few others. It's hard to look up a list of them on BGG, as they lump it in with "Pool Building", and you get games like Concordia and Great Western Trail in the same list. They may have some of the same elements, but I would never class them as a "deck building" game.

Oct 26, 2017
Won a raffle at a FLGS and got Call to Adventure. Played one game with my wife who was a bit overwhelmed by everything but liked it in the end, and I played a solo game as well. Here's pics from my solo game.

fea856e8-fa46-4f0c-8rakv0.jpeg

I really enjoy this game and the reward at the end is more than winning or losing, it's that you get to tell your story. As you can see from the second image I was an Adventurous Performer who survived the flames to escape from her pursuers. Motivated by seeking the Truth she stole from the rich and used that money to set out to find enlightenment and commune with nature. There she disarmed the deadly traps of the Crypt of Horrors, shattered the Sword of Darkness, and defeated the Dark Rider to fulfill her destiny of becoming One with Nature.

Overall I love this game but it won't be for everyone. It has a huge presence on the table and there's lots of symbols that will scare off casual players, but at the same time it is a very light game that moves quick. So it's in a weird spot, but if you enjoy chucking runes (2 sided dice that you can see in the left of the first image) and weaving together a story that you and everyone can share at the end it can be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Aoen's End, just got New Age in the mail! Excited! Still have yet to play my Aeon's End: Legacy cause I haven't found a stable enough group of people to go through it with, but New Age is at least more like classic AE so it should work to bring out.
Mine's been stuck on "Shipping Label Printed" since August 9th. I emailed support about it, but still haven't heard back. I'm very sad.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Good news for anyone here in the USA who backed Warehouse 13, the distributor(amazon) has it and has begun shipping it out!
The bad news is they are processing it in batches so it's being shipped out in the order the game was backed so if you're like me and did it post campaign in backer kit it may not ship for another week or two

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Good news for anyone here in the USA who backed Warehouse 13, the distributor(amazon) has it and has begun shipping it out!
The bad news is they are processing it in batches so it's being shipped out in the order the game was backed so if you're like me and did it post campaign in backer kit it may not ship for another week or two
After the fiasco with Evil Dead 2 the board game, I'm glad to hear this. Better late than never.

Oct 25, 2017
I really regret not getting the GeekUp Bit Set for Quacks of Quedlinburg
We've been really into it and I wanna upgrade
If anyone has any or an extra set and wants to sell hit me up

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys!
My gf and I play a lot.

Thanks in advance!
Tyrants of the Underdark is a pretty killer deck builder. It's not co-op, but it does play really well at 2. For co-op, I would recommend Legendary, only of the Dark City expansion comes back into print. I love the base game, but I'm a huge Marvel nerd so it skews my view on it, but Dark City makes it an incredible game for pretty much everyone.

Scythe at 2 is meh, if you can get a 4 player group it's my current favorite game. You also might want to check out games like Journeys in Middle Earth or something like a Robinson Crusoe, they're pretty great 2 player co-op experiences, but they can be very challenging. Especially Crusoe - it's a terrific game but the rulebook is inscrutable.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

100% agree here. Well I consider them both card games. 😄

Totally agree here. I think a distinction should be made in the hobby with deck-building (Dominion, Aeon's End, Ascension) vs. deck construction (Magic, Arkham, Pokemon). BGG lists the later types of games as "hand management," but I don't think that really takes into account the pre-game tasks of actually making your deck.

I personally still find Dominion enjoyable. Even though I haven't played it in years, I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to play it. I would also recommend it as an entry-level game to deck-building, or just the hobby in general. It's got enough expansions that you can keep it interesting and entertaining for a long time.

The only other deck-building games I still enjoy are Clank, and Aeon's End Legacy. Vanilla Aeon's End fell pretty flat for me, as I felt I was just doing the same actions every few turns due to the non-shuffling mechanic. Maybe that's a by-product of how I was playing, I don't know. It is very highly regarded.

Other deck-builders I've played and have either been shelved/sold off, or don't really interest me a whole lot are Legendary, Thunderstone, and maybe a few others. It's hard to look up a list of them on BGG, as they lump it in with "Pool Building", and you get games like Concordia and Great Western Trail in the same list. They may have some of the same elements, but I would never class them as a "deck building" game.

What I like about Dominion is that even in the base set, you get a ton of cards and you only use half of them in a game and you can mix it up quite a bit so there's lots of variability there. I'd be interested to know if there were other games that released before this that had this variability out of the base box. Seems like a lot games have copied this idea.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
100% agree here. Well I consider them both card games. 😄

What I like about Dominion is that even in the base set, you get a ton of cards and you only use half of them in a game and you can mix it up quite a bit so there's lots of variability there. I'd be interested to know if there were other games that released before this that had this variability out of the base box. Seems like a lot games have copied this idea.

Cosmic Encounter and Robo Rally are old as fuck games that had a ton of variety in the box.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
I really regret not getting the GeekUp Bit Set for Quacks of Quedlinburg
We've been really into it and I wanna upgrade
If anyone has any or an extra set and wants to sell hit me up

You can always put the cardboard bits in 21mm coin capsules for about half the price. I plan on doing that some time soon.

Concerning deckbuilders. As much as I love interesting card play I enjoy deck builders even more when they use a board. My two favorites that do this are Super Motherload and Quest for El Dorado. They may not be the heaviest games but they certainly provide a fun time.

Also, if you don't have it yet Takenoko is $26 on Amazon right now.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Played the first journey of my solo campaign of Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth last night & had a really good time with it (and won!)

It is my first go at such a heavily app based game, I know some people have issues with that sort of thing but it added a lot in my opinion and makes some aspects that could be tricky or at least pretty fiddly, like resolving attacks, much simpler. Having dynamic campaigns and maps is also great and made exploring fun and added some unexpected situations.

Biggest negatives are that there is a hell of a lot of card shuffling of the decks (Even more so when playing solo), specifically with tiny cards, I understand the game takes up quite a bit of space already but I think I would have preferred full size cards. Also the cross over of information between what is held on the app and what is on the board can be a bit odd, specifically enemy positions not being on the app seems off at points but I understand the difficulties adding all of the unit positions to the board would add (and it turn make the actual board even less required).

cCcNLbG.jpg

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Cloudspire showing up today, probably won't really get to it until the weekend though.

This game is legit. I meant to make a post about it in here as I have been talking about it in the Discord for a couple weeks. Plan for your first games to be really long, though lol

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Played the first journey of my solo campaign of Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth last night & had a really good time with it (and won!)

It is my first go at such a heavily app based game, I know some people have issues with that sort of thing but it added a lot in my opinion and makes some aspects that could be tricky or at least pretty fiddly, like resolving attacks, much simpler. Having dynamic campaigns and maps is also great and made exploring fun and added some unexpected situations.

Biggest negatives are that there is a hell of a lot of card shuffling of the decks (Even more so when playing solo), specifically with tiny cards, I understand the game takes up quite a bit of space already but I think I would have preferred full size cards. Also the cross over of information between what is held on the app and what is on the board can be a bit odd, specifically enemy positions not being on the app seems off at points but I understand the difficulties adding all of the unit positions to the board would add (and it turn make the actual board even less required).

I don't usually sleeve my games, but I sleeved those little cards right away.