• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
From the interview I saw he mentioned he's like head of development or something at CMON so he touches everything - but usually just to clean up if it's someone else's design.

Speaking of, I've not played any of his Blood Rage games since I'm still pretty new to the hobby, should I pick up BR or Rising Sun? I have a major interest in Ankh for theme and the time to play, should I just wait for that?

I say get Blood Rage. I think it is his best game. It is relatively easy to learn and teach, plays fast and has great replayability.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Woo! Promo cards for Thanos Rising should be here soon...Got confirmation from USAopoly that they're on their way!

Also, how is Horrified? I didn't realize it was a co-op game. I love co-op games, especially if they aren't overly complex so my wife and I can play together.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Woo! Promo cards for Thanos Rising should be here soon...Got confirmation from USAopoly that they're on their way!

Also, how is Horrified? I didn't realize it was a co-op game. I love co-op games, especially if they aren't overly complex so my wife and I can play together.

Agreed. We played last week and everyone really enjoyed it. It seemed to snowball quickly for the baddies, but we stabilized and steamrolled at what I'd call the mid-point.

Oct 25, 2017
Been steadily learning the new acquisitions I picked up recently.

Played through Quacks of Quedlinberg, Carpe Diem, Nautiluca, The Artemis Project (a friend got this one, not me), and Unearth.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My copy of Lifeform arrived today. The box is much smaller than I expected, pretty stoked about that. Though the expansion box is bigger yet thinner, but barely uses any of the space. That's always annoying to me.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I went to a Gamer Garage Sale at a local store and they had Kingdom Death Monster for $275 (might have actually been $265). Not sure which version but it was labeled as being complete and it said the lion and the starting characters were already assembled. I didn't get it, and I'm kicking myself. I'd love to own it, but even $250+ seems too high to me, so I left it there. I kept watching it though and kept wandering back over to it, hoping someone would pick it up and walk off with it to buy it, and no one did. They also had Heroquest that was labeled "Complete, with two expansions in box) for $100 that I knew was a steal, and Incursion for $25. I should have bought them all just to resell, but better that maybe someone else buys them who actually wants to play them.

I only got Magic Maze, a Zombicide promo expansion (Mustache pack 2), an Exceed box, and the Blood Rage Mystics of Midgard expansion for $35 total. I carried around a copy of Shogun for $30 for a long time and finally put it back after half an hour. Someone grabbed it up pretty quickly. Mystics of Midgard was what I was most happy to score though, especially for only $10 since everywhere is sold out. After I left there I went to a Target and bought Horrified. I regretted it instantly, because I'd rather wait for a B2G1 sale or it to be clearanced, but I think I might actually be able to play this one soon and multiple times with some people, so I figured getting it now would be worth it.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I went to a Gamer Garage Sale at a local store and they had Kingdom Death Monster for $275 (might have actually been $265). Not sure which version but it was labeled as being complete and it said the lion and the starting characters were already assembled. I didn't get it, and I'm kicking myself. I'd love to own it, but even $250+ seems too high to me, so I left it there. I kept watching it though and kept wandering back over to it, hoping someone would pick it up and walk off with it to buy it, and no one did. They also had Heroquest that was labeled "Complete, with two expansions in box) for $100 that I knew was a steal, and Incursion for $25. I should have bought them all just to resell, but better that maybe someone else buys them who actually wants to play them.
Join us to the dark side, you start off thinking you only want the base game, then you end up like me

1566066431-u6fplft4izg31.jpg

Now I just need to paint all the minies at some point... I just fear being disapointed in the result/my own skill.
I actually started practicing again this morning by trying to finish what I have left of Mice and Mystics :
1566067002-img-20190817-203237.jpg

I need to convince myself that looking good on the table at the distance you actually use them, is good enough, and that I need to stop comparing myself to the amazing stuff I see online.

On a less expensive note, my brother is visiting next month, I'm trying to find a good familty boardgame to play with him and the parents in addition to what I currently own ( mostly ticket to ride, mysterium, codenames and stop thief as far as family stuff goes ). I'm hesitating between Azul / Sagrada / Menara / Potion explosion... I know Azul probably has the best reputation of the 4 but it also feel like it's the heaviest, it's really tempting to go for Menara and tiptoe into the dexterity genre.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Azul is super easy game to learn. By one round everyone should have it. It's a really good and fast game. I think Potion Explosion is more complex.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Join us to the dark side, you start off thinking you only want the base game, then you end up like me

Now I just need to paint all the minies at some point... I just fear being disapointed in the result/my own skill.
I actually started practicing again this morning by trying to finish what I have left of Mice and Mystics :

I need to convince myself that looking good on the table at the distance you actually use them, is good enough, and that I need to stop comparing myself to the amazing stuff I see online.

On a less expensive note, my brother is visiting next month, I'm trying to find a good familty boardgame to play with him and the parents in addition to what I currently own ( mostly ticket to ride, mysterium, codenames and stop thief as far as family stuff goes ). I'm hesitating between Azul / Sagrada / Menara / Potion explosion... I know Azul probably has the best reputation of the 4 but it also feel like it's the heaviest, it's really tempting to go for Menara and tiptoe into the dexterity genre.
Just started my first foray into painting miniatures. Did some zenithal highlighting with black, gray, and white which may be a bit much for my first time, but who cares. It wasn't perfect but not terrible for my first go. I'm painting the Minsk and Boo guy that came with the D&D paint set from Army Painters and some random Malifaux figure I had from Game Trade Magazine like 8 years ago (the one that came with the Firefly boardgame promo ship).

I would also suggest Azul but I prefer the Stained Glass of Sintra version.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yo dude, for just being table ready that looks really fucking fine. Good job. I really should get stuff to at least that level for my more heavily played games.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
elyetis That mini looks solid for tabletop quality. That's how I paint...Or how I did paint. It's been a while. I'd really love to get back into it - I have more minis than I know what to do with. Maybe I'll start that up this evening or tomorrow. Grab a small squad of my Brimstone dudes and go for it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Holy crap, the Madame scenario of Time Stories is really fucking bad, we're only like 15 minutes in and my group is about to flip the fucking table.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

That looks great. Seems like you might have already given it a wash?, but maybe try another wash or a thicker wash? It'll add a lot of shadow and make the details pop. But beyond that I'd be very happy with that in my game. Don't compare to professional paint jobs. Compare it to a game that doesn't have painted minis, or even a game that has prepainted minis. Those usually aren't as good as a basic amateur paint.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So my group finished Madame and wow, what a horrible way to finish "season 1" of your series

Spoilers but seriously fuck this scenario

so the whole point of this scenario was to make sure Bob was born... some guy who happens to be your boss? Why the fuck do the bad guys want Bob to not exist? Why do I care if Bob stops existing?

And yes the "lol fuck you we got your money buy the sequel for closure" was as bad as people warned

Then the scenario itself, you know it's bad when the game half way through basically says "yeah these mechanics suck, just ignore them for the rest of the scenario" which lucky my group had already house ruled that about 30 minutes into the game. Also after I had been forced to sit out 3 runs my group ignored the fuck out of that and allowed free switching of characters. These changes made the worst scenario ever a lot more tolerable.

One of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced, not just in board gaming but ever, and I went in with lowered expectations.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the comments, I guess I'll fall for the Azul hype. ^^
That looks great. Seems like you might have already given it a wash?, but maybe try another wash or a thicker wash? It'll add a lot of shadow and make the details pop. But beyond that I'd be very happy with that in my game. Don't compare to professional paint jobs. Compare it to a game that doesn't have painted minis, or even a game that has prepainted minis. Those usually aren't as good as a basic amateur paint.
My current paint wash collection is very very very small. I pretty much only have dark, strong, soft tone from army paint when it comes to wash. I think I used the strong tone once for that mini.
I'm almost finished with another one, and I tried to use more wash, and do some manual highlight, the difference isn't huge ( not sure it really shows on picture ) but I feel like it did improve it to some extent :
1566132033-img-20190818-143238.jpg

(new one on the right)
Once I'm finished with the rats, I'm thinking on doing my Nemesis or Lord of Helas minis before putting my hands on the KD:M ones. I certainly need to buy more paint anyway.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Believe the Azul hype, it is a game like ticket to ride and carcassone that imo should be in everyone's collection

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the comments, I guess I'll fall for the Azul hype. ^^
My current paint wash collection is very very very small. I pretty much only have dark, strong, soft tone from army paint when it comes to wash. I think I used the strong tone once for that mini.
I'm almost finished with another one, and I tried to use more wash, and do some manual highlight, the difference isn't huge ( not sure it really shows on picture ) but I feel like it did improve it to some extent :
1566132033-img-20190818-143238.jpg

(new one on the right)
Once I'm finished with the rats, I'm thinking on doing my Nemesis or Lord of Helas minis before putting my hands on the KD:M ones. I certainly need to buy more paint anyway.

These look great and something to keep in mind with the Mice and Mystics mini's is that they're really small and not as detailed as other figures, so it's always going to be a bit harder to really do a lot of good highlights and things. Washes are also trickier to use since there's not many deep recesses for the wash to work it's magic.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
These look great and something to keep in mind with the Mice and Mystics mini's is that they're really small and not as detailed as other figures, so it's always going to be a bit harder to really do a lot of good highlights and things. Washes are also trickier to use since there's not many deep recesses for the wash to work it's magic.
That's always the thing that gets me. You look at all these pictures online that make everything look huge and well-defined and then you look at the actual miniature and it's the size of a nickel.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
That's always the thing that gets me. You look at all these pictures online that make everything look huge and well-defined and then you look at the actual miniature and it's the size of a nickel.
Exactly, I feel like I would need the miniatures to be... 3 times their size, to get the amount of detail I see on online pictures.
Then you watch a video and it seems sooooo easy and you don't understand how those people hands works, clearly not the same way mines does ( thought you do learn painting tips/techniques which does help a buncheven for a novice ).

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even that I can't control hand movements to make details that small, it's that I will never look at a miniature so close that I could tell.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Not sure why I've never posted in here before. I never thought to look for a board game OT, but I randomly came upon it. I play board games with a few friends just about every weekend. We mostly play Scythe, Mansions of Madness, Eldritch Horror, Coup, Exploding Kittens, and Catan most often. Last year, we tried out a bunch of games that aren't in our normal rotation lately, but I do really like: Viticulture, Photosynthesis, Terraforming Mars, You've Got Crabs, Kingdom Death: Monster, Terra Mystica, and Sheriff of Nottingham.

One of my friends who owns most of our favorite games moved back to Japan recently, so we've been trying to fill in the gaps lately. I picked up Decrypto on a whim this past Friday, and we had a ton of fun with it! Really great party game, that while competitive, kept pretty light!

One game I'm looking forward to playing soon is Wingspan, by the publisher of Scythe and Viticulture (Stonemaier). Got a look inside the box, and it looks gorgeous, but our other games went too late for this weekend. I'm also looking forward to playing more Terra Mystica and Gloomhaven when we have more time.

Are there any games that seem up my alley that I haven't mentioned? My very favorite board game is Scythe, followed by Mansions of Madness, and then I really like Exploding Kittens, Coup, and You've Got Crabs for shorter games. I also like Carcassone and Catan.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why I've never posted in here before. I never thought to look for a board game OT, but I randomly came upon it. I play board games with a few friends just about every weekend. We mostly play Scythe, Mansions of Madness, Eldritch Horror, Coup, Exploding Kittens, and Catan most often. Last year, we tried out a bunch of games that aren't in our normal rotation lately, but I do really like: Viticulture, Photosynthesis, Terraforming Mars, You've Got Crabs, Kingdom Death: Monster, Terra Mystica, and Sheriff of Nottingham.

One of my friends who owns most of our favorite games moved back to Japan recently, so we've been trying to fill in the gaps lately. I picked up Decrypto on a whim this past Friday, and we had a ton of fun with it! Really great party game, that while competitive, kept pretty light!

One game I'm looking forward to playing soon is Wingspan, by the publisher of Scythe and Viticulture (Stonemaier). Got a look inside the box, and it looks gorgeous, but our other games went too late for this weekend. I'm also looking forward to playing more Terra Mystica and Gloomhaven when we have more time.

Are there any games that seem up my alley that I haven't mentioned? My very favorite board game is Scythe, followed by Mansions of Madness, and then I really like Exploding Kittens, Coup, and You've Got Crabs for shorter games. I also like Carcassone and Catan.

Blood Rage and Rising Sun are my two favorite board games of all time, you may enjoy them with the games you've mentioned

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Man, abomination is pushed back over a month

There has been a lot of weird issues. Seasons of Inis isn't coming to Canada for a while despite releasing in the US a month ago at leaat. I heard Abomination is late. I have heard Black Angel is late in Europe. I know that there are KS fulfillment delays lately but these retail issues are weird.

Oct 25, 2017
There has been a lot of weird issues. Seasons of Inis isn't coming to Canada for a while despite releasing in the US a month ago at leaat. I heard Abomination is late. I have heard Black Angel is late in Europe. I know that there are KS fulfillment delays lately but these retail issues are weird.

Yeah this is getting weird. I even asked 10 days ago if abomination was still on schedule and they said yep next week. So I preordered . Then all the sudden a month + delay? You'd think you'd know about that last week...

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of glad that I didn't get KD:M or any of those other rare games at that Gamer Garage Sale over the weekend now; I just scored a near-mint (the board is near-mint and looks to have never been used; the box is actually in really rough shape) Tumblin Dice off of eBay for about $100. It isn't one of the recent EGG boards or an older Ferti board though, it's a First Edition Nash board. So it's pretty much the highest-quality best version of Tumblin Dice out there. Nash Boards are rare and don't pop up for sale too often, and the only version I wanted was a Nash edition, so I knew I had to jump on it when I saw it listed Saturday night.

The only bummer is that it's gonna be expensive to ship, and because of that I may have to wait a while to play it. A member of my extended family lives in the next town over from the seller and it would be a decent amount less to have it shipped to them rather than to me, and I'd just wait until the holidays or sometime to get it.

My dexterity game collection has been growing for a while and has some good stuff in it, especially after I added my high-quality Crokinole board to it earlier this year. Tumblin Dice, and a Nash version at that, is a very nice addition though. My family isn't going to play my copy of Blood Rage or anything like that with me but they love dexterity games, so I'll always be on the lookout for more good ones.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of glad that I didn't get KD:M or any of those other rare games at that Gamer Garage Sale over the weekend now; I just scored a near-mint (the board is near-mint and looks to have never been used; the box is actually in really rough shape) Tumblin Dice off of eBay for about $100. It isn't one of the recent EGG boards or an older Ferti board though, it's a First Edition Nash board. So it's pretty much the highest-quality best version of Tumblin Dice out there. Nash Boards are rare and don't pop up for sale too often, and the only version I wanted was a Nash edition, so I knew I had to jump on it when I saw it listed Saturday night.

The only bummer is that it's gonna be expensive to ship, and because of that I may have to wait a while to play it. A member of my extended family lives in the next town over from the seller and it would be a decent amount less to have it shipped to them rather than to me, and I'd just wait until the holidays or sometime to get it.

My dexterity game collection has been growing for a while and has some good stuff in it, especially after I added my high-quality Crokinole board to it earlier this year. Tumblin Dice, and a Nash version at that, is a very nice addition though. My family isn't going to play my copy of Blood Rage or anything like that with me but they love dexterity games, so I'll always be on the lookout for more good ones.

Do you have a good Subbuteo set?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I got my shipping notification from indieboardsandcards for Aeon's End Wave 4 but the tracking information still just says "Label created." That was the 9th of August. Is this common that it still hasn't made its way into UPS's hands, or should I contact indieboardsandcards?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Got to play a few games this weekend

Tiny Epic Mechs: The newest game in the TE line is a programing combat game and is probably the weakest game in the TE series. Combat was really poorly thought out where combat comes down to who has more weapon cards wins every time and the rock/paper/scissors element of the weapons meant combat played out super predictably. My group still found it to be decently fun, but the game desperately needs an expansion or a 2.0 to overhaul combat completely. The rest of the programing and claiming territory was a lot of fun and strategic, but combat was really bad.

Thunder Stone Quest Barricades (coop version): Thunder Stone Quest continues to be a huge hit for my group. The coop version of the game feels must as well balanced as the competitive mode, and the coop is so well done my group wasn't sure if we preferred the competitive or cooperative version. For those who've played TSQ the biggest change is that each round starts with everyone rolling threat dice depending upon the round, then everyone takes their village AND dungeon turn simultaneously (you can always do both in coop) with the goal of erecting barricades and defeating monsters before they raid each night. The new presige boards are fantastic and can even be used in the competitive version. We also tried the epic variant (only 1 of every card in the game) and had a blast with that as well. The fact TSQ can be played so many different ways and they're all fantastic is why the game is a 10/10 for me and in my top 10 games ever.

Terrors of London: This is a pretty solid 1v1 deck builder with a horror theme wrapped around it. Imagine star realms with a few differences. First you must always have a unique character with unique cards mixed into your starting deck. Secondly monsters can power each other up by forming a hoard, and you can only hoard with monsters in other factions, which promotes buying a wider variety of faction monsters. Good game will keep in my collection.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Got to play a few games this weekend

Tiny Epic Mechs: The newest game in the TE line is a programing combat game and is probably the weakest game in the TE series. Combat was really poorly thought out where combat comes down to who has more weapon cards wins every time and the rock/paper/scissors element of the weapons meant combat played out super predictably. My group still found it to be decently fun, but the game desperately needs an expansion or a 2.0 to overhaul combat completely. The rest of the programing and claiming territory was a lot of fun and strategic, but combat was really bad.
The more I learn about these Tiny Epic games the more I'm convinced that the only good one out of the bunch is Tiny Epic Galaxies.

Terrors of London: This is a pretty solid 1v1 deck builder with a horror theme wrapped around it. Imagine star realms with a few differences. First you must always have a unique character with unique cards mixed into your starting deck. Secondly monsters can power each other up by forming a hoard, and you can only hoard with monsters in other factions, which promotes buying a wider variety of faction monsters. Good game will keep in my collection.
How does this game handle the market row problem? It's something that hurts an awful lot of the not-Dominion deckbuilders out there.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The more I learn about these Tiny Epic games the more I'm convinced that the only good one out of the bunch is Tiny Epic Galaxies.

How does this game handle the market row problem? It's something that hurts an awful lot of the not-Dominion deckbuilders out there.

Galaxy is far and away the best, but I think Zombies and Quest are both really good as well. You just have to accept for both of those that they really want you to push your luck in them and take a roll you might find to be too risky.

By the Market Row problem I assume you mean some combination of everything is too expensive or nothing available has good synergy with the deck you're building. For the former Terror of London cards only cost 1-6 in game money, but money in general is a pretty rare resource and there are very few 6 money cards (we only saw 1 in our game). Obviously you could rng into starting with nothing but 5-6 money cards in the market to start, but the two unique character cards mixed into your deck along with your character's ability will help to quickly correct that problem either by destroying cards in the trade row or ensuring you have a hand with good money resource quickly.

For the deck synergy problem that is where hoarding comes into play. Based upon what I saw every monster card in the game has two faction indicators at the bottom of the card along with arrows that point either left, right, or both below said faction icon. Unlike a game such as star realms where a card will be like "blob faction: 4 attack resource, if you played another blob card draw a card, if you played two blob cards gain 6 more attack resource" the hoard mechanic is a lot better balanced. A typical terrors of london monster will say something like "undead faction: 4 attack resource, if a spirit monster is left or right, or a beast monster is right, gain 2 money resource". The two smart things about hoards are that 1) They are never for the faction of the card you bought, so almost any two cards in the game can have synergy (only one card has to meet the criteria for the two to hoard) and 2) you get the hoard's size minus 1 for the number of hoard abilities you can access, even if multiple cards have multiple x or y abilities. This limits the insane combo stuff that can cause one player to play their entire deck in one turn in other deck builders.

The mechanic is also offset two more mechanics of the game. First your character has a default faction, and their unique character cards or abilities often require you to have played a monster of their faction that turn. So you have to balance buying a variety of monsters for hoarding, and enough monsters of your faction to maximize your ability. My friend lost after going too heavy on the mono deck and losing the hoard option most turns. The second is that many cards or abilities give you the ability to haunt a card. A haunted card remains on the field and gets to activate it's ability a second turn in a row. The downsize is a monster who is haunted can't be part of a hoard. This leads to nice strategic decisions about who you want to haunt into the next round, or if you just want to break the haunt for a hoard ability right now.

Let me know if the above relates to the market place problem most deck builders have?

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have a good Subbuteo set?
Nope, this is the first I've ever heard of it. I'll have to look it up.

Played Horrified last night, a 3P game aginst the intro monsters (Drac and Creature). It started off rough and I died like five times but we won. I'm pretty confident we played every rule correctly as well, except one mistake where on the first turn of the game I took one fewer action than I was supposed to.

Oct 26, 2017
I think Tiny Epic Quest is really good as well. I just backed Ultra Tiny Epic Galaxies so I'm excited to give that one a try. Also Tiny Epic Tactics looks so cool, it comes out in November I think.