• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I just wanted to thank everyone for thier advice. I'm still deciding but I'll let you know what I figure out

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Oh, shit. Oh, shit!

I didn't think much of it until I saw Blacklist.

I wonder if it will have a scrolling modular board similar to The Battle at Kemble's Cascade?

Really excited to see what ideas they've cooked up for it. Could be totally new as I don't think their Modular Deck System from their previous games will fit well but we'll see.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Ha. How many of us dropped our Trudvang pledges?
I also did and I'm in for Etherfields too.
The backer numbers are falling significantly. When I checked the campaign last week, the pledged total was closing in on $1.160 million. It's dropped to $1.147 now. I'd have thought GenCon would have given it a boost.

I still have my early bird, but I'm undecided. Combat seems lacking, however, the lore of the world and the art are captivating. If I do keep my pledge, it'll only be for the core game with no add-ons.

Bloodborne on the other hand has won me over with the post-campaign production updates and changes to the game's systems. I'll most likely add the "all-in" bundle to my pledge before the Pledge Manager closes tomorrow.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Went to tabletop cafe in Cleveland with some friends today. Played Reef and Wingspan.

Reef was interesting but I'm not super into games that very clearly require you to do math every turn to succeed as opposed to following general strategies that are more intuitive. Honestly Azul kind of does the same thing, but it's abstracted in a way that makes it much more satisfying.

Wingspan was very good. Well deserving of the accolades it's received and I'll be getting it when it becomes available again.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone upgraded their copy of Wingspan with 3D resources, etc? I'm considering buying some realistic bird's nests for tokens and a more durable dice tower.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
The backer numbers are falling significantly. When I checked the campaign last week, the pledged total was closing in on $1.160 million. It's dropped to $1.147 now. I'd have thought GenCon would have given it a boost.

I still have my early bird, but I'm undecided. Combat seems lacking, however, the lore of the world and the art are captivating. If I do keep my pledge, it'll only be for the core game with no add-ons.

Bloodborne on the other hand has won me over with the post-campaign production updates and changes to the game's systems. I'll most likely add the "all-in" bundle to my pledge before the Pledge Manager closes tomorrow.

Damn.
Can I get in on the bloodborne all in bundle?
I regret not backing it. CMON just isn't someone I like to back.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing late pledges ended when the Pledge Manager was originally set to close on Aug 2. If you are keen, it'd be worth sending them an email. They might be able to accomodate you. The Pledge Manager was extended until the 5th for backers.

I just discovered Oathsworn. It wasn't on my radar before GenCon, but the few interviews I have watched and the designer posts on BGG have me considerably hyped. The miniatures are intimidatingly huge, but I'm glad a standee option will be available as the default pledge when it hits KS in October. It sounds like it might share a similar space to Trudvang Legends as a narrative driven game with legacy elements.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Okay Board Game Era. I need help.

For my birthday I received $75 in Amazon gift cards. My wife and I decided to get another board game. But here is the thing... I'm completely paralyzed by the choice.

We don't get to have a gaming night with other people often so I'm looking for a game that is good for more than 2 players, but still good and playable for for just two players.

My game list so far is as such.
Marvel Legendary and near all expansions.
VS System
Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks
Doctor Who: the Card Game
Mysterium
Miskatonic School for Girls
51st State Card Game Version
Pandemic
Last Night on Earth
Legend of Korra - Pro Bending League
King of Tokyo and Power Up
King of New York and Power Up
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Dead of Winter Base Game
Arkham Horror 1st and 3rd (near all expansion for 1st none for 3rd)
Betrayal at House of the Hill
Betrayal at Baldur's Gate
Arkham Horror Card Game
Villainous and expansion
Ghostbuster
Atmosfear
Last Friday and expansion
Tons of versions of Munchkin
Elder Signs and two expansion
Sushi Go! And Party
Vampire the Requiem - Dark Requiem
Star Wars Destiny
Star Wars Empire v Rebellion
BANG!
NIYA
Original Once Upon a Time
Boss Monster
Love Letter

So what should I get? No Horror Games. We have enough of them.

My current short list is
Star Trek Ascension + Borg Expansion.

Smash Em Up

Fury on Darcula (low on the list because no horror)

Bill and Ted's Excellent Board Game.

Red Dragon Inn

Resident Evil 2 Board Game

IDW Batman

Ghostbusters 2

And

Star Realms

What do all of you think?

Seeing as you have Pandemic - how about Pandemic Legacy? This is something you could play with just your wife. Seeing as your group doesn't come round all that often, i wouldn't bother trying with them.

Otherwise

Terraforming Mars or Scythe (better 3 to 4 player than 2 but still alright)

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Seeing as you have Pandemic - how about Pandemic Legacy? This is something you could play with just your wife. Seeing as your group doesn't come round all that often, i wouldn't bother trying with them.

Otherwise

Terraforming Mars or Scythe (better 3 to 4 player than 2 but still alright)

I am worried about getting any sort of the Legacy games because I don't want an unplayable game when I have friends over.

I did make a small decision.

Original version of Love Letter.

Carcassonne.

And then...Zomcide.

I know I said no horror games but me and my partner played Left 4 Dead today and it reminded me how much I loved zombie games

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
For the record I actually think that betrayal Legacy, pandemic legacy and even Risk Legacy are awesome wrapped it amazing sauce.

I just dont have a group that is consistant enough to keep a Legacy game running.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I'm guessing late pledges ended when the Pledge Manager was originally set to close on Aug 2. If you are keen, it'd be worth sending them an email. They might be able to accomodate you. The Pledge Manager was extended until the 5th for backers.

I just discovered Oathsworn. It wasn't on my radar before GenCon, but the few interviews I have watched and the designer posts on BGG have me considerably hyped. The miniatures are intimidatingly huge, but I'm glad a standee option will be available as the default pledge when it hits KS in October. It sounds like it might share a similar space to Trudvang Legends as a narrative driven game with legacy elements.

Meh I do really want it but I'm fine. I did go all in on Too Many Bones and Middara. Maybe I'll see someone selling the entire thing, who knows.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I am worried about getting any sort of the Legacy games because I don't want an unplayable game when I have friends over.

I did make a small decision.

Original version of Love Letter.

Carcassonne.

And then...Zomcide.

I know I said no horror games but me and my partner played Left 4 Dead today and it reminded me how much I loved zombie games

What do you mean unplayable game when your friends are over? As in you don't want to spend money on a game that can't be played with the game group as well? Because I was going to say you could just play regular Pandemic with the game group and play legacy with your wife?

Nice choices of games by the way. Seeing as you bought Carcasonne, another awesome gateway game to keep an eye on for buying games next time is Splendor. I recently got it for myself (think it's $19 on Amazon) and been playing the steam version, it's really fun, really pure streamlined engine builder. It's nothing like Carcasonne, but both are gateway games.

Oct 25, 2017
A couple things:
A got my 7th Continent box. It did remind me how much I dislike Fed Ex in my area. The tracking said they delivered it at 12:43 yesterday. By 3PM it still hadn't actually been physically delivered. Last time I dealt with a Fed Ex delivery I didn't get it until the next day. This time it at least delivered while I was out (friend's store closing party, I was there from 3PM to 2AM Sunday morning). Still annoyed, but I'm glad I didn't have to wait till Monday. Looking forward to giving 7th Continent a go.

I'm still in on Trudvang...there is a part of me that does hope that the smaller pledge level here is a bit of a wake up call for CMON. There are probably a couple more add-ons coming...I'm hoping that there aren't many more, or at least ones I feel I can skip (I love the art, but it's in the books...I can skip the art book. Also, I already have the RPG books, don't need another copy).

As for Dwelling of Eldervale. I'm VERY seriously considering ducking into that with a late pledge, I think I can swing it, but I need to double check. I'll know before the pre-order pledge cut off for kickstarter extra goodies.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What do you mean unplayable game when your friends are over? As in you don't want to spend money on a game that can't be played with the game group as well? Because I was going to say you could just play regular Pandemic with the game group and play legacy with your wife?

Nice choices of games by the way. Seeing as you bought Carcasonne, another awesome gateway game to keep an eye on for buying games next time is Splendor. I recently got it for myself (think it's $19 on Amazon) and been playing the steam version, it's really fun, really pure streamlined engine builder. It's nothing like Carcasonne, but both are gateway games.

The various people I play with aren't consistent enough for a Legacy game. It would take years to make any real progress on the game.

For example I've had the Ghostbusters board game for 2 years. We played it with 2 friends the day we got it. We finished the first campaign July 4th of this year.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So I've yet to play any of the century games, and I saw what I believe to be the golem edition of the second game. Can someone explain to me why they essentially made the same game with two radically different themes?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I've yet to play any of the century games, and I saw what I believe to be the golem edition of the second game. Can someone explain to me why they essentially made the same game with two radically different themes?

Because a lot of people were like, "Another game about trading goods in that time period?" when the game came out, so they made something that had a very different theme. I own the Golem edition.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
According to some, he originally pitch the game as fantasy resource trading game but got little or no interest so he change it to "historical" trading theme for that euro game appeal ala Spendor. They make Golem as limited edition version but people were complaining so even though they said Golem was only going to be just one game they now doing 2nd Century with Golem theme. I like the first one in the series and love the 2nd one but the 2nd Century never seem to get to the table for us because the 1st game was so much easier to play, set up and teach so people in our MeetUp group always ended up just playing the first game (usually the Golem edition because it's much prettier).

Last edited:

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
The Golem Edition is also colorblind friendly, so there's quite a bit going for it. Eastern Mountains is getting made because the Golem Edition was so popular. I'd say that the second game, Eastern Wonders, is the better game of the two, but they've both been big hits whenever I broke them out.

Oct 25, 2017
What is everyone looking forward to now after gen con?
I think this is my preorder list

MegaCity: Oceania

Terror below

Time chase

Black Angel

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So last year I bought a bunch of Android: NetRunner content, but then my friends and I bounced right off it.

It just takes up space and I want other games - is anyone interested in it? We literally played it once.

I will find the full list, but off the top of my head I have:
Multiple Revised Cores
Reign & Reverie
Full Kitara Cycle

this official playmat:

ffs69-mat.jpg

Is there any interest in the game anymore? Am I better off trying again near Cyberpunk 2077 release?

I'm all in on Marvel Champions LCG

Last edited:

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
I think this is my preorder list

MegaCity: Oceania

Terror below

Time chase

Black Angel

Contra from Blacklist Games (2020)

Marvel Champions - LCG from FFG (2019)

Return to Dark Tower from Restoration Games (2020)

Key to the Kingdom from Restoration Games (2020)

Aliens Another Glorious Day in the Corps from Gale Force Nine. (2019? Probably 2020)

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
The various people I play with aren't consistent enough for a Legacy game. It would take years to make any real progress on the game.

For example I've had the Ghostbusters board game for 2 years. We played it with 2 friends the day we got it. We finished the first campaign July 4th of this year.

Haha. Yeah.

I recently bought Pandemic Legacy, but I think i'm going to keep it until my kids are old enough to play with me which might be another 5 or 6 years.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The announcements I'm most interested in are Contra, Marvel Champions (only a bit, I suspect I'll just stick with Legendary), and Zombicide 2.0.

And while they're not really related to Gen Con, I'm probably going to get Cartographers and possibly Roll for Adventure soon. Only thing I'm not sure about with RfA is I already have a bunch of dice allocation games, and am definitely getting Dark Side Rising later this year., so I'm just not sure if I want to get another.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Who here is into Etherfields? Am pledged after a bit of doubt but that is steadily being replaced with building excitement. The videos do show a card and deck management game, however it looks like the tip of an iceberg. It looks super interesting. Thoughts?
Backed all in brotha. I even did all the dumb shit like the sundrop accent on the miniatures cause I just want it all. Seems like it's gonna be a favorite.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Backed all in brotha. I even did all the dumb shit like the sundrop accent on the miniatures cause I just want it all. Seems like it's gonna be a favorite.

It definitely original in theme. The deck building is fun too. Am going the narrative pulls through. Went in with tainted grail and confident the story will be great. Fingers crossed Etherfields will be the same.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
I was looking at Etherfields until I saw who was making it. They couldn't write a coherent rulebook with Lords of Hellas (it's also a fucking terrible area control game- but that's besides the point) so I've no confidence in them to write a coherent narrative for a game.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was looking at Etherfields until I saw who was making it. They couldn't write a coherent rulebook with Lords of Hellas (it's also a fucking terrible area control game- but that's besides the point) so I've no confidence in them to write a coherent narrative for a game.

Interesting, have enjoyed the let's play videos of this and Tainted Grail. But would say that am a bit on the fence with EF as want it to be narrative/ theme filling. Lots of the rules will be left out as they want us to lean/ encounter them as the game gets played.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to ask about their translation record after reading some negative impressions on Reddit. I was weary about committing to a game that relied so heavily on narrative, that might suffer from poor translation and editing, so I avoided Tainted Grail. I have a $1 Pledge for Etherfields but I'm still undecided whether I should upgrade it for the core game.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't make it to Gen Con this year...Even though it's like, 20 minutes from my house. To be fair, we had some family stuff come up, so it was a fair choice on my part.

But!

My brother drove into town and went. AND he was my Flying Frog mule!

jGnMod4.jpg

I just need to grab a few of the resin special missions and I will be Brimstone complete again! $$$

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of videos on Etherfields to show the quality of the narrative already. I'm in at $1, but I'm going to be upping that before the campaign is over, or during the pledge manager.

I'll throw in the $90 that I'm not spending on Trudvang. That campaign is a fucking mess, and I've had tons of schadenfreude over the last week or so, while I was getting colder and colder feet.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I am interested in Black Angel (pre-ordered it). I read some more reviews on Abomination and the game length seems to be too long for my group. I still love the theme.

I grabbed the newest Oink game, Nine Tiles Panic. Here's a review:
I am such a sucker for tile laying and sand timers!

Ankh is on my radar. The only thing that has me worried is that Eric Lang was saying that there isn't as much direct conflict as Blood Rage.

Also, Maracaibo is on my radar, just because it is a Pfister game but there isn't much info out there yet.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
The game was originally called Caravan & Caravan Golem (something like that). They decided to consolidate the versions and put a poll on BGG and claimed that over 75% of the people wanted the Mediterranean version of the game. So they said they were NEVER making the Golem Edition.

Like an idiot, I bought the Spice Road/Mediterranean Edition. They also said there was a trilogy planned that all the games could somehow work together. 6 months later they announce Golem Edition is happening, released it at GenCon but said it was a one-off and that they were NEVER making the other 2 versions of the game in the Golem flavor.

Now here we are with the trilogy coming out in Golem Edition...

IMHO, cash grab. Trick people into buying that version and then buying the game again. I bought the first and sold it to my friend for Golem Edition. If the game wasn't so good, I'd be done with the company. Small chance is that the game sold so well, they could afford to make the other version...

Get the Golem Edition, my color-blind gamer friends even say the pieces are easier to differentiate.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
I am interested in Black Angel (pre-ordered it).

I was looking forward to that until I saw that Dávid Turczi (Anachrony fame among others) had bought it, played it with three people, everyone hated it! He sold it after one play! I don't trust any reviews that the Dice Tower put out- they are always overly positive for very mediocre games so I'm having to wait for more impressions. :(

Still I should have City of the Big Shoulders some point this month hopefully to fill the new hotness gap. :)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Thanks for everyone saying golem version is color blind friendly, as a color blind gamer I always appreciate that.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap that's impressive! $$$ is right. I haven't all of the big box expansions except Badlands, but I don't have a group for it right now :(

I didn't feel too bad spending the $200 on everything there as I didn't buy a badge to the con, haha. They tossed the pins in "for free". Yay.

Also, my buddy tried the Bloodborne boardgame at the con and said it was fun. They opened the Pledge Manager I guess...Anyone in on it with thoughts??

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, there is a bunch of KS stuff coming to an end or closing this week that I've gotta drop money on. Dice Throne Adventures is something I've gotta back, as is Trial by Trolley. Dinogenics just got on my radar last night and I think I'll go in on it (but I've never even played my Dinosaur Island, the expansion for it, or Duelosaur Island, so I don't NEED Dinogenics). And the Street Fighter Miniatures Game pledge manager finally closes out on Wednesday; that's over $300 just on that one. Good thing there hasn't been much else on KS I've been interested in recently (well, except Middara, but I finally talked myself out of spending $500 on that) and isn't much coming to KS soon that I'll be interested in (except Burgle Bros 2 and Seventh Cross).

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Ugh, there is a bunch of KS stuff coming to an end or closing this week that I've gotta drop money on. Dice Throne Adventures is something I've gotta back, as is Trial by Trolley. Dinogenics just got on my radar last night and I think I'll go in on it (but I've never even played my Dinosaur Island, the expansion for it, or Duelosaur Island, so I don't NEED Dinogenics). And the Street Fighter Miniatures Game pledge manager finally closes out on Wednesday; that's over $300 just on that one. Good thing there hasn't been much else on KS I've been interested in recently (well, except Middara, but I finally talked myself out of spending $500 on that) and isn't much coming to KS soon that I'll be interested in (except Burgle Bros 2 and Seventh Cross).

I really wanna go all in on Dice Throne but with Etherfields I know I'm gonna end up getting every bonus and the sun drop stuff. Ugh.