• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I missed the close of the pledgemanager for Tainted Grail. I didn't want to add anything but forgot to confirm shipping so I have to wait until after the first wave of shipping (they claim Nov/Dec, ha) to finish it. Half of me is disappointed to wait, the other half is excited to have more time to play other games!

I got Trekking the national parks on prime day
My friend grabbed me PARKS at gen con which I think looks stunning.
I'm tempted to return trekkkng, I don't know if I need 2 national park games. Parks looks much more intriguing to me.
Thoughts?

Parks is by KeyMaster and I've LOVE their past 2 games, Space Park & Campy Creatures. I am so excited for them to ship Parks. Plus they have amazing presentation with their games.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Received my 7th Continent order. I can see the complaints about the neoprene mat buts it not enough to prevent me from using it. Time to sleeve the entire game.
I'd love to hear opinions from people who are playing it the first time.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Received my 7th Continent order. I can see the complaints about the neoprene mat buts it not enough to prevent me from using it. Time to sleeve the entire game.
I'd love to hear opinions from people who are playing it the first time.

I've said it before, it's the only board game that I played for 10 hours straight in one day with a friend. It's a pretty magical experience once you get into it.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
If the game is good and the demand is high they will always have a reason to reprint. Count on it

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are releasing a Classic (toned-down) version of 7th Continent that should be regularly available, anyway.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
If the game is good and the demand is high they will always have a reason to reprint. Count on it

the expansion Kickstarter serves as a reprint but like someone said above, they are releasing a version that has about 25% or so in cards removed.

d79980b6b794d5536aa3139d01748526_original.jpg

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Found Horrified and the new Villainous expansion at a local Target today. Also got my copies of Bargain Quest and Super Camelot yesterday. They go on a recent backlog of Skull Tales, Edge of Darkness, and Terror Below. I swear I'm trying to get better, but I swear all of these games end up shipping in batches.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Who here is into Etherfields? Am pledged after a bit of doubt but that is steadily being replaced with building excitement. The videos do show a card and deck management game, however it looks like the tip of an iceberg. It looks super interesting. Thoughts?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Who here is into Etherfields? Am pledged after a bit of doubt but that is steadily being replaced with building excitement. The videos do show a card and deck management game, however it looks like the tip of an iceberg. It looks super interesting. Thoughts?
I'm in. Currently only at $1, but that's definitely going to change, since I'll be dropping Trudvang.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be dropping Trudvang, too. I'm in at $1 on Etherfields, and we'll see if I keep it. Between Dice Throne Dungeon and needing to finalize my Middara pledge, I'm a bit cash strapped for board games for a bit.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I will probably drop Trudvang too. It's a shame. I loved the art. I still have a pledge for Dice Throne Adventures and just finished the pledge manager for Tainted Grail. So, I probably don't need another big KS co-op anyway.

Did you see that the third game in the Eric Lang trilogy is Egyptian themed? Interesting. Kemet is already a great area control with that theme. I am sure this will be tons different in gameplay though. I still have Mezo coming sometime in the fall with Court of the Dead in a month or so as well so I hope one of these two is a good area control game.

Makeshift Chef

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in on Etherfields. It looks really interesting to me as well. I'm currently in on Etherfields, Trudvang, and Gatefall chapter one. I also just received 7th continent so I'm looking to drop Trudvang but it's still calling me. We'll see as the campaign progresses of I keep it. Gatefall looks lovely and I can see myself playing it with my sons and wife. Speaking of my wife, she refuses to play Jamaica with me anymore after I beat her ten straight times, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was listing games I'm interested in the other day I felt like I was forgetting one and it was totally that. I love even Vassal was like "Yo, this is Tremors: The Board Game"

piratepwnsninja Were you a backer or is it available somewhere already?

It's out at gen con too.
Looks like 75 shipped is cheapest on eBay. I think I'll just preorder it at mini mart for 34$ and wait a month haha

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
The Trudvang KS campaign is a real clusterfuck. CMON has gotten really complacent and thinks they're still the only dog in town.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have mine. Waiting for the end of the campaign, but most likely will drop it. Game doesn't look like there's much to it.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
The game just looked really boring and the miniatures don't even look as good as Massive Darkness. I love the Nordic fantasy thing, but being compared to the new Lord of the Rings game without an app soured me on it. I dropped it today. It's been really stagnant and they haven't done a single thing to sell me on the game. Etherfields will be enough for me.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018

Restoration games keeps digging up my childhood to cash in on my nostalgia. To their credit it is their M.O. and it is working haha

Now if they'd just get around to that little game called Omega Virus.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I will probably drop Trudvang too. It's a shame. I loved the art. I still have a pledge for Dice Throne Adventures and just finished the pledge manager for Tainted Grail. So, I probably don't need another big KS co-op anyway.

Did you see that the third game in the Eric Lang trilogy is Egyptian themed? Interesting. Kemet is already a great area control with that theme. I am sure this will be tons different in gameplay though. I still have Mezo coming sometime in the fall with Court of the Dead in a month or so as well so I hope one of these two is a good area control game.

Did you see dwellings of eldervale? It got great feedback and is worker placement

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Okay Board Game Era. I need help.

For my birthday I received $75 in Amazon gift cards. My wife and I decided to get another board game. But here is the thing... I'm completely paralyzed by the choice.

We don't get to have a gaming night with other people often so I'm looking for a game that is good for more than 2 players, but still good and playable for for just two players.

My game list so far is as such.
Marvel Legendary and near all expansions.
VS System
Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks
Doctor Who: the Card Game
Mysterium
Miskatonic School for Girls
51st State Card Game Version
Pandemic
Last Night on Earth
Legend of Korra - Pro Bending League
King of Tokyo and Power Up
King of New York and Power Up
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Dead of Winter Base Game
Arkham Horror 1st and 3rd (near all expansion for 1st none for 3rd)
Betrayal at House of the Hill
Betrayal at Baldur's Gate
Arkham Horror Card Game
Villainous and expansion
Ghostbuster
Atmosfear
Last Friday and expansion
Tons of versions of Munchkin
Elder Signs and two expansion
Sushi Go! And Party
Vampire the Requiem - Dark Requiem
Star Wars Destiny
Star Wars Empire v Rebellion
BANG!
NIYA
Original Once Upon a Time
Boss Monster
Love Letter

So what should I get? No Horror Games. We have enough of them.

My current short list is
Star Trek Ascension + Borg Expansion.

Smash Em Up

Fury on Darcula (low on the list because no horror)

Bill and Ted's Excellent Board Game.

Red Dragon Inn

Resident Evil 2 Board Game

IDW Batman

Ghostbusters 2

And

Star Realms

What do all of you think?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

For my birthday I received $75 in Amazon gift cards. My wife and I decided to get another board game. But here is the thing... I'm completely paralyzed by the choice.

We don't get to have a gaming night with other people often so I'm looking for a game that is good for more than 2 players, but still good and playable for for just two players.

VS System
Mysterium
Pandemic
Last Night on Earth
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Dead of Winter Base Game
Arkham Horror Card Game
Villainous and expansion
Ghostbuster
Atmosfear
Sushi Go! And Party
Star Wars Destiny
BANG!
NIYA
Boss Monster
Love Letter

My current short list is

Smash Em Up

Red Dragon Inn

IDW Batman

Ghostbusters 2

And

Star Realms

Star Trek Ascendancy is one of my all time faves and borg makes 2 player doable but the real fun is in playable character expansions and finding a group of 3 + people. It's a blast and it's about 45-60 minutes per a player(can be less if someone gets extremely unlucky)

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017

VS System
Mysterium
Pandemic
Last Night on Earth
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Dead of Winter Base Game
Arkham Horror Card Game
Villainous and expansion
Ghostbuster
Atmosfear
Sushi Go! And Party
Star Wars Destiny
BANG!
NIYA
Boss Monster
Love Letter

My current short list is

Smash Em Up

Red Dragon Inn

IDW Batman

Ghostbusters 2

And

Star Realms

I'd suggest Dropmix. It's great with 2 players and solid with 3-4. It's also a really fun, relatively fast game where the music is basically window dressing. So you don't have to worry if you're tone deaf. They also recently added a solo mode that's pretty fun. Even though you're not interested in more horror, you should still give Bloody Inn a look. Carcassonne is also a classic and doesn't seem to be in your collection.

Oct 26, 2017

VS System
Mysterium
Pandemic
Last Night on Earth
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Dead of Winter Base Game
Arkham Horror Card Game
Villainous and expansion
Ghostbuster
Atmosfear
Sushi Go! And Party
Star Wars Destiny
BANG!
NIYA
Boss Monster
Love Letter

My current short list is

Smash Em Up

Red Dragon Inn

IDW Batman

Ghostbusters 2

And

Star Realms

Whatever you end up doing if the budget still allows for it I think you should give Love Letter a try. It's cheap, portable, works well at 2 players, scales great up to 4 players, and games are quick so it makes a perfect filler game or game where you don't want to set up a lot.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm really tempted to give Spirit Island a try (for 2 players and solo play). Anybody here played it? What are your thoughts?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really tempted to give Spirit Island a try (for 2 players and solo play). Anybody here played it? What are your thoughts?

Amazing game! Start on the base difficulty with no adversaries and use low complexity spirits. The game, I think, is super easy at the base difficulty but there is just a lot going on and a lot of decisions to make and a lot of rules to look up. There's a ton of replayability in just the base game alone and the asymmetrical play styles of the spirits makes every game feel different.

Edit: I would hesitate at playing this in a 3-4 player group first, unless someone is who is familiar already is there to teach it and explain things as you go along. It is not necessarily a complex game but there are just a lot of things you can do and inevitably questions will arise on what can or can't you do or simply what the wording of something really means.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite coop game, and possibly my favorite game, period. Plays really well at 1-2p. The spirits have very diverse and plays very differently, the card play is magnificent, and the invasion phases are a brilliant mechanism that allow for planning up to 2 turns ahead

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018

Oh my! Just teased about an hour ago. A Contra board game could be amazing. This is from the Street Masters and Altar Quest people.

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Love the game, but know that the end can feel a bit anti-climactic. You can usually see a turn or two before winning what needs to be done and it's just mop up to finish from there. The early and mid-game is where I find it really shines. Still great though.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017

VS System
Mysterium
Pandemic
Last Night on Earth
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Dead of Winter Base Game
Arkham Horror Card Game
Villainous and expansion
Ghostbuster
Atmosfear
Sushi Go! And Party
Star Wars Destiny
BANG!
NIYA
Boss Monster
Love Letter

My current short list is

Smash Em Up

Red Dragon Inn

IDW Batman

Ghostbusters 2

And

Star Realms

If you like tactic games, War Chest can be played 1v1 or 2v2.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My buddy got me a copy of City of Kings for my birthday. We go to the FLGS right near work almost once a week, and I've picked up that box and considered it almost every time. Needless to say he noticed.

Also played Just One last night at my party. What a fun party game that was. It's incredible how frustrated you get with yourself by not getting the clues when they make sense once you see the word. haha

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Great game at any player size. Certain spirits combo well of each other. Takes a bit of a set up and the rule book can be a bit hard to understand at first but it's really good.
Amazing game! Start on the base difficulty with no adversaries and use low complexity spirits. The game, I think, is super easy at the base difficulty but there is just a lot going on and a lot of decisions to make and a lot of rules to look up. There's a ton of replayability in just the base game alone and the asymmetrical play styles of the spirits makes every game feel different.

Edit: I would hesitate at playing this in a 3-4 player group first, unless someone is who is familiar already is there to teach it and explain things as you go along. It is not necessarily a complex game but there are just a lot of things you can do and inevitably questions will arise on what can or can't you do or simply what the wording of something really means.
My favorite coop game, and possibly my favorite game, period. Plays really well at 1-2p. The spirits have very diverse and plays very differently, the card play is magnificent, and the invasion phases are a brilliant mechanism that allow for planning up to 2 turns ahead
Love the game, but know that the end can feel a bit anti-climactic. You can usually see a turn or two before winning what needs to be done and it's just mop up to finish from there. The early and mid-game is where I find it really shines. Still great though.

Thanks! I'm just back from the game store and bought the game. The store also had the Branch and Claw expansion available and I also took it because I liked the theme a lot. It made me think of Princess Mononoke in some way.

I'll give my impressions as soon as I have a chance to play my first game.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! I'm just back from the game store and bought the game. The store also had the Branch and Claw expansion available and I also took it because I liked the theme a lot. It made me think of Princess Mononoke in some way.

I'll give my impressions as soon as I have a chance to play my first game.

Nice! Bookmark the living FAQ

And take a look at commonly misplayed rules.