• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Glad to see an expansion for Root, but I'll likely have to pass. The base game proved to be too difficult to get to the table given the asymmetric play and how the rules were laid out.

Edit: Could always check out if the errata helps. My players love Villainous, so it's not like asymmetric is a turn off. It's just grasping the mechanics, and unfortunately its difficult trying to teach several different ways to play at once.

I went all in on VAST, the crystal caverns, impulsively, and realized it's an impenetrable affair that you have to take a college course on, along with everyone you plan to play with, if you want to get started. I just don't have the time for it. That's what kept me away from ROOT. I knew it was probably the same kind of thing, though there does seem to be a lot of praise, I'm not surprised at your comment on it.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have and enjoy Dungeon Saga? How does it compare to some of the other big dungeon crawlers out there?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
One Stop Co-op Shop on youtube has a full playthrough of Gloom of Kilforth that's worth watching.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I played Arkham Horror 3rd ed today and went through the Veil scenario. Is this the easiest one? Azathoth kicked our asses, while we breezed through Veil to the point that we thought we had missed something.
Cleared doom, got two clues, joined the Society, closed the gate, and won.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I should try to find some time to do some quick thought write ups about games.
I will try Too Many Bones later today and I played Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay last week (and a few other new games)

Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay is a very flawed game that needed more polish. The rule book is a joke of editing and some of the designs are poor. The BGG rating is obviously inflated from the backers by quite a bit. There is a good game in there I think, but it should have been in polish mode for at least 6 more months before going to print.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Fam has really been enjoying Disneys Villainous, every bad guy has a specific strategy. Anyway, expansion is out with three more villains if anyone's interested: Snow White queen, Hades and Facilier.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody played Gloom of Kilforth? I'm between that and backing Tainted Grail.
I had. I backed the original KS way back when. It's pretty good but the game mechanic is pretty dated. It's like Arkham Horror board game with randomized locations. The artwork was mainly why I backed it but the game actually is not bad. I only played it solo as I find the "competitive mode" sort of strange tack on. What do you want to know about it?

YUXn8Mvl.jpg

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fam has really been enjoying Disneys Villainous, every bad guy has a specific strategy. Anyway, expansion is out with three more villains if anyone's interested: Snow White queen, Hades and Facilier.

Awesome, I didn't even know one had been announced. On my way to pick it up now.

Does anyone here play the Transformers TCG? I bought the starter and Metroplex sets and my friends and I really dug it yesterday. We really liked the card flipping mechanic for battles.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Awesome, I didn't even know one had been announced. On my way to pick it up now.

Does anyone here play the Transformers TCG? I bought the starter and Metroplex sets and my friends and I really dug it yesterday. We really liked the card flipping mechanic for battles.
I tried, it didn't pick up while I was near a game store and now I live over 40 minutes through the mountains from the closest gamestore so eh

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I should try to find some time to do some quick thought write ups about games.
I will try Too Many Bones later today and I played Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay last week (and a few other new games)

Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay is a very flawed game that needed more polish. The rule book is a joke of editing and some of the designs are poor. The BGG rating is obviously inflated from the backers by quite a bit. There is a good game in there I think, but it should have been in polish mode for at least 6 more months before going to print.

TMB is quite fun. I really dig it but it is quite challenging.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
TMB is quite fun. I really dig it but it is quite challenging.
too many bones was indeed a lot of fun.
much like Gloomhaven the concept is pretty easy to pick up, but figuring out how to manage your resources and when to strike or stay back/defend takes a bit.
my friend decided to order more of the characters to expand things more.
we ended up winning overall, the final boss was way easier than a match we had on like day 5 which involved two level 20s (one from 4 players times day 5 and one from the event card)

that was brutal, I died before I got to move, another person died before he took his second turn, and the other two died after the second turn :P

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
too many bones was indeed a lot of fun.
much like Gloomhaven the concept is pretty easy to pick up, but figuring out how to manage your resources and when to strike or stay back/defend takes a bit.
my friend decided to order more of the characters to expand things more.
we ended up winning overall, the final boss was way easier than a match we had on like day 5 which involved two level 20s (one from 4 players times day 5 and one from the event card)

that was brutal, I died before I got to move, another person died before he took his second turn, and the other two died after the second turn :P

That sounds great.

I just started a campaign, beat the first tyrant but don't know how I feel about not much stuff is carried over from one game to another. And you get a scar even if you succeed unless I read it wrong. It adds a new way to play, more beginning day cards (almost worth it for that), and more monsters and other stuff.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
So I started playing Aeons End Legacy with the GF yesterday. We started at 12pm and ended up finishing at 9pm! We had dinner and a break mind you but I've never seen her so engrossed with a game.

We banged out four chapters and had a bit of difficulty with a couple but the evolution of our characters is great, it really feels like an RPG as our mages are now fucking huge spell slinging tanks. I'm moved towards a healing role while she is pumping out 10-20 damage when she gets a deck going. It's nice to play another legacy game which is great after Charterstone and Scythe being such a wet fart.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
So I started playing Aeons End Legacy with the GF yesterday. We started at 12pm and ended up finishing at 9pm! We had dinner and a break mind you but I've never seen her so engrossed with a game.

We banged out four chapters and had a bit of difficulty with a couple but the evolution of our characters is great, it really feels like an RPG as our mages are now fucking huge spell slinging tanks. I'm moved towards a healing role while she is pumping out 10-20 damage when she gets a deck going. It's nice to play another legacy game which is great after Charterstone and Scythe being such a wet fart.

Marry that woman. I can't get my wife to play a board game once a month for an hour.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I played Arkham Horror 3rd ed today and went through the Veil scenario. Is this the easiest one? Azathoth kicked our asses, while we breezed through Veil to the point that we thought we had missed something.
Cleared doom, got two clues, joined the Society, closed the gate, and won.
I played that scenario couple months ago and don't remember the specific but I recalled it wasn't very hard though it was a challenge toward the end. The problems we often find that there are little thing can be miss like moving monsters, put in cards into the codex etc. I think 3rd edition is more about story telling than killing you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I played that scenario couple months ago and don't remember the specific but I recalled it wasn't very hard though it was challenge toward the end. The problems we often find that there are little thing can be miss like moving monsters, put in cards into the codex etc. I think 3rd edition is more about story telling than killing you.
I think I forgot to add more gates, but I looked through the cards and didn't see the instructions. Oh well, always next time. Thanks for the reply.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
Was able to play the Root expansion over the weekend. I really like the riverfolk. Being a war profiteering slave trader otter is quite charming.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Marry that woman. I can't get my wife to play a board game once a month for an hour.
My SO loves to play board games. However, whenever I introduce a new game she immediately hates it - everything about it. The rules, the art, the theme "what's the purpose?!"
1 hour later she loves it and in most cases beats me every single time. ;-)

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Just wanted to share my experience with Dice Throne Season 2 now that I've played either with or against every character at least three times so I'm familiar with them.

First of all, if you've not seen it the game looks amazing! The artwork, graphic design, and overall table presence puts this as one of the most aesthetically pleasing game I've ever played. I have the custom sleeves as well and they really help make the cards pop. I don't own any of the neoprene mats that are available but I could imagine it would enhance it even more.

Looks aside, the game is just super fun! It's not overly complex so I think anyone could play this. Excellent gateway/family game. Also, good for vets imo. There's enough nuance to the characters that my game group which can play heavy strategy games love digging into Dice Throne trying different characters and going with different tactics when they return to characters.

Now sure it's Yahtzee dice rolling but the card play separates it quite a bit and adds the right amount of luck mitigation you want to not make it feel completely random. When to play, sell, or hold cards is one of the biggest part of winning.

The consensus seems to be that at 1v1 is the game at it's best. I won't disagree but we actually primarily play the king of the hill 3p variant and have found no obvious balance problems. The incentive to draw a card for attacking the health leader works amazingly well.

We have different favorite characters that reflect our play styles and I feel that just speaks to how different the characters feel in play despite the rules being the same. I like the huntress and seraph, myother friend loves the samurai and gunslinger, but the cursed pirate speaks to another group member.

Anywho, if you get the opportunity to try the game you should! It surprised me quite a bit.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to find a used copy of the out-of-print Spartacus game at a store over the weekend for a great price and snapped it up. The bidding and auction mechanics sound interesting to me. I like what Gale Force 9 did with the Firefly and Sons of Anarchy games too, so I've got high hopes for it.

I also got what is now one of my prized possession: a custom crokinole board. If anyone in the US, especially in the South, wants to get a high-quality board on the level of a Muzzies or Hilinski board but has put it off because of the cost to order one from Europe or Canada or something, message me and I can provide the maker's name who did mine (not sure how much their shipping is though; I drove 2 1/2 hours away to his shop to view his boards and get mine). They are going to be offering backers with tournament-style round rails soon too. They offer some beautiful designs and can do custom prints or even portraits (pretty much any image that isn't owned by someone else).
My board looks fantastic in person, is heavy (20 lbs), has great action, and I don't expect it will need waxing for quite a while. The discs I got, in blue and a natural-color, slide into a recessed storage area on the back of the board. I plan to hang mine on the wall.

Here's a pic, with a bunch of bananas for scale:
https://imgur.com/IzVlTCp

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Wow Shards of infinity only changes a few things to the whole deckbuilding-combat style of game, but those small changes completely change the game for me. I see zero reason to play Star Realms anymore.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
There was a ShopBack offer for Amazon, 12% discount, so I took the opportunity to get some stuff.

For the kids -

pic3955965.jpg

I really like how simple the movement is in this but at the same time the player has a lot of options and need to do some planning. Surprised that a Spiel does Jahres nominee from last year can be outside the top 1000 on BGG. I get it's probably not for heavy gamers but this one looks good for family. Love the theme and art.

spel-dream-home-web__95991.1504716280.jpg

Really dig the art and theme here for kids.

SG2010A_l.jpg

Someone here said there's most likely a newer Kanban version coming out once Vital gets the license back, but given that all his games are a lot more expensive with Eagle Gryphon, I decided to just get this version. EGs print runs are always so small in Australia and all his games are AU$150+, which make them very expensive purchases given I almost never get to play them first before buying. I was able to get Kanban for about AU$70 on Amazon, while there's a chance it could go lower, I couldn't be bothered checking in anymore.

Very excited about my purchases recently!

LOL, I've never heard scythe being described as that. All my scythe games have been amazing.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of reddit, boardgamegeek, and eBay (which I won't use), where's the best place to list games for sale? I'm in a boardgame group or two on Facebook, so that gets some additional exposure. But are there any other forums good for that stuff?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The angle of the picture makes it look like Belial and Sho-Riu are about the same size, but dragon bro definitely stands taller than what I BELIEVE was originally the tallest model in Shadows of Brimstone. Model is gigantic.

TBQuv3R.jpg

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
What is this plain grey plastic?

I have no interest in Shadows of Brimstone, but I've been tempted several times to pick up Belial just to paint.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
The angle of the picture makes it look like Belial and Sho-Riu are about the same size, but dragon bro definitely stands taller than what I BELIEVE was originally the tallest model in Shadows of Brimstone. Model is gigantic.

TBQuv3R.jpg
I just saw this in the FB group. I haven't assembled the large models yet, but these look fantastic. How hard was the assembly?

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I just saw this in the FB group. I haven't assembled the large models yet, but these look fantastic. How hard was the assembly?

Bigger models are easier to assemble as they generally don't have small pieces you need to glue. All the pieces are generally rather large so easy to hold and assemble. The Dragon in that picture is the hardest of the 3 pictured to assembled though.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

They're honestly no more difficult than any of the other models IMHO. The quality of FFP's models has improved dramatically since the original core sets. Everything on the dragon fit together with zero fuss. I just assembled it in sections and used good plastic glue.

I honestly feel like the hardest model in the FoFo stuff so far has been the spider queen lady. And only because getting her situated on her base was a bit tricky.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am looking for recommendations for simple to learn and quick to setup & play games in the vein of Kingdomino, Machi Koro and Settlers of Catan. So basically peacful building games.

As much as I love all these epic and complex boardgames, the reality is that only a few people I know are willing to put the dedication, time and learning into them. And this includes myself. I just don't have the time for 2-3 hour board game session + preparations anymore. And IF I find the time someday I can put it into Gloomhaven, Horus Heresy, Twilight Imperium (man, I really want to play this someday with 3 friends) and Mage Knight.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I am looking for recommendations for simple to learn and quick to setup & play games in the vein of Kingdomino, Machi Koro and Settlers of Catan. So basically peacful building games.

As much as I love all these epic and complex boardgames, the reality is that only a few people I know are willing to put the dedication, time and learning into them. And this includes myself. I just don't have the time for 2-3 hour board game session + preparations anymore. And IF I find the time someday I can put it into Gloomhaven, Horus Heresy, Twilight Imperium (man, I really want to play this someday with 3 friends) and Mage Knight.

You can't go wrong with any of the classic gateway games like carcassone or ticket to ride. I'd also throw in azul as a modern classic that is also an amazing gateway game. 7 wonders is mechanically easy where you build an empire with drafting but I think it 's a bit hard to explain how to win to people since the scoring is complicated.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Cottage Garden, Wingspan and Castles of Burgundy all fit that bill

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Cottage Garden, Wingspan and Castles of Burgundy all fit that bill
I was actually very interested in Casles of Burgundy - I might pick that one. Thanks for the reply.
You can't go wrong with any of the classic gateway games like carcassone or ticket to ride. I'd also throw in azul as a modern classic that is also an amazing gateway game. 7 wonders is mechanically easy where you build an empire with drafting but I think it 's a bit hard to explain how to win to people since the scoring is complicated.
Thank you, too. My wife loves Carcassone on Xbox 360 - that's the way we play it if we want to. I personally don't like Ticket to Ride too much. Azul was another game I was eyeing, might get that as well eventually.

General question: Anyone played Charterstone. That game looks fantastic and not too complicated. Seems casual friendly but the setup time might be a problem ;)

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually very interested in Casles of Burgundy - I might pick that one. Thanks for the reply.
There is a 10th Anniversary Edition of Castles of Burgundy coming out this year that will (at a minimum) package together all of the expansion content. There's a chance that they might update the artwork as well (which is very divisive). It might be worth holding off on a purchase until there's more concrete news, if you care about any of that.