• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody like playing Fog of Love? It's on clearance at Walmart and I was wondering if it was worth jumping in.
I like it, but I want to be very clear it's more of a role playing game for a rom com then an actual game to play.
aka if you can get into a rom com character setting that's over the top and role play it some you will likely have fun, if you are just looking to play a game and use the mechanics it's not the best.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Viticulture, Im interested in that too, but I want to get Vinhos first. I like all the different concepts in Vinhos, like the weather system, acquiring vineyards and wineries, and aging the wine.

And Watch It Played is great. My favourite.
Viticulture is very difference from Vinhos and much lighter. Viticulture is more of a worker placement with tableau upgrading while Vinhos is much more complex and for me it's the most unforgiving of Lacerda games that I have played. (Have not play Kanban and just got C02)

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Played a game of Mysthea by myself. Very interesting. I need to play with other people to see if it reminds me of Blood Rage.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Played my first game of Railroad Ink (solo):

RxE0gL6l.jpg

Not too bad. I hesitated to use the special routes early on. I would try and use all three of them next time. I really enjoyed it. It feels very puzzly. There isn't a lot of interaction (EDIT: well there really isn't any) in the game even with more players, but that's fine for a game like this. I think I will try the river expansion next. I like it better than Welcome To.. which the only other "roll and write" that I've played recently.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Played my first game of Railroad Ink (solo):

RxE0gL6l.jpg

Not too bad. I hesitated to use the special routes early on. I would try and use all three of them next time. I really enjoyed it. It feels very puzzly. There isn't a lot of interaction (EDIT: well there really isn't any) in the game even with more players, but that's fine for a game like this. I think I will try the river expansion next. I like it better than Welcome To.. which the only other "roll and write" that I've played recently.

The puzzle is really all there is to it. The interaction happens after wards when comparing other peoples results. It's now one of my kid's favourite games and I bet we'll haul that one with us during our vacations for some time.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I didn't end up going out and finding sleeves for wingspan. Maybe next weekend.

I do want some upgraded components though, mainly the tokens you use. They are just squares now id love birds. Etsy has some but the quality is rough. I hope Meeple source makes some. They have great looking food components I almost bought but I want to continue using the provided storage boxes and those would never fit

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Well I didn't end up going out and finding sleeves for wingspan. Maybe next weekend.

I do want some upgraded components though, mainly the tokens you use. They are just squares now id love birds. Etsy has some but the quality is rough. I hope Meeple source makes some. They have great looking food components I almost bought but I want to continue using the provided storage boxes and those would never fit
You're in luck. MeepleSource does make them.

https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=WingspanUpgrade

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah those are the food components I mentioned but I feel they are too big to use the standard storage

I'm looking for an upgrade to the little square action tokens.

Etsy has some that look like birds (my preference) but are a bit rough
https://www.etsy.com/listing/666944504/wingspan-upgrade-45-birds-plus-a-bonus

I'll probably buy these bird houses though they look great I just would prefer bird shape

https://www.etsy.com/listing/662527528/40-x-birdhouses-action-token-wingspan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those are the food components I mentioned but I feel they are too big to use the standard storage

I'm looking for an upgrade to the little square action tokens.

Etsy has some that look like birds (my preference) but are a bit rough
https://www.etsy.com/listing/666944504/wingspan-upgrade-45-birds-plus-a-bonus

I'll probably buy these bird houses though they look great I just would prefer bird shape

https://www.etsy.com/listing/662527528/40-x-birdhouses-action-token-wingspan

I ended up buying the bird houses

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Those Wingspan supplements look great. Though, the birds do look a bit blech.

Thinking of picking up either Star Wars Rebellion or New Angeles. Both look interesting for vastly different reasons. And they both have some subjective strikes against them: Outer Rim is coming soon and I don't know if I need that much Star Wars; New Angeles is four people and takes four hours. Any experiences with either of 'em?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

Thinking of picking up either Star Wars Rebellion or New Angeles. Both look interesting for vastly different reasons. And they both have some subjective strikes against them: Outer Rim is coming soon and I don't know if I need that much Star Wars; New Angeles is four people and takes four hours. Any experiences with either of 'em?

Rebellion is one of my favorite games. Played it 2 player and 4 player many times and it is about 2-3 hours depending on how good or bad you do and if you know the rules. It's like elaborate hide & seek and feels like Star Wars in a box. It has depth but is pretty simple to play. The expansion for it is a must as it adds more leaders and fixes up the combat a bit as well as some other aspects. Fully recommend it.

I also think 4 player works well too. One player is in charge of General and one is Admiral. One is in charge of recruiting and land battles, the other in charge of some other aspect and space battles. I forget the exacts in what they covered but it didn't feel like one of those forced multiplayer aspects.

I highly recommend it.

It all fits in one box. There are inserts to make it nicer and easier to set up. I got the ZenBins (before expansion was announced) but you can easily fit it all in there.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Rebellion is one of my favorite games. Played it 2 player and 4 player many times and it is about 2-3 hours depending on how good or bad you do and if you know the rules. It's like elaborate hide & seek and feels like Star Wars in a box. It has depth but is pretty simple to play. The expansion for it is a must as it adds more leaders and fixes up the combat a bit as well as some other aspects. Fully recommend it.

I also think 4 player works well too. One player is in charge of General and one is Admiral. One is in charge of recruiting and land battles, the other in charge of some other aspect and space battles. I forget the exacts in what they covered but it didn't feel like one of those forced multiplayer aspects.

I highly recommend it.

It all fits in one box. There are inserts to make it nicer and easier to set up. I got the ZenBins (before expansion was announced) but you can easily fit it all in there.
Damn...Thanks for the write-up, and that's a heavy push in that direction. My one worry about buying that game is once Outer Rim is released I don't play it anymore, even though they seem like different games.

Oh, and having to buy the expansion, too. Turns it into a $100 purchase...

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Damn...Thanks for the write-up, and that's a heavy push in that direction. My one worry about buying that game is once Outer Rim is released I don't play it anymore, even though they seem like different games.

Oh, and having to buy the expansion, too. Turns it into a $100 purchase...

I mean you could do alright without the expansion. Try the game first before you put more on it.

As for Outer Rim, they are completely different games from my understanding. Rebellion you aren't one person, you control an entire faction. Like it is Command & Conquer vs Rebel Galaxy...

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the bird houses look great, they are coming from Spain so I probably have a bit of a wait

If you are looking for a wingspan preorder, meeplesource opened them up and are still taking orders FYI

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Yeah the bird houses look great, they are coming from Spain so I probably have a bit of a wait

If you are looking for a wingspan preorder, meeplesource opened them up and are still taking orders FYI
Much appreciated, but I have a verbal preorder in at a shop here and don't want to leave them hanging. Though, they could probably find another buyer in 10 seconds.

I cannot wait to play this freaking game.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Tiny Epic line is always a solid back. Great value and far cheaper than many of the other big projects, generally good design, and Gamelyn has a good track record of delivering ahead of estimates.

That said, I may forgo given all that I have due to arrive already, including Gamelyn's Heroes of Air, Land, & Sea.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are some good digital versions of the following board games? Being on Steam/having tutorials/online features would be a huge plus:
-Mahjong (Chinese/Japanese rules)
-Go
-Shogi (I have the Hanazawa(?) Shogi apps that let you pick the level of CPU you want to play against. Pretty good.)

edit: Especially Mahjong, Steam has a lot of shovelware from the looks of it

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Woah with the new expansion with Hades and the evil Queen(.... and the dude from the princess and the frog that doesn't really matter) I am definitely feeling tempted to pick up Villainous as my sisters and mom would love the theme(my dad would hate it but that's neither here or there) and the theme seems like a fun general one.

I do think I'll try playing a game in tts first, if anyone is interested I'll be setting it up on our discord tomorrow if I can get anyone

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Wanted to post that our studio has "ported" one of our videogames, Into the Dead, to a board game, and the Kickstarter went live yesterday with a "core" box reward tier and a "deluxe" box reward tier. Our first board game though we've collaborated with a board game design company, one designer of whom was actually on the design team for the original Into the Dead videogame.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pikpok/into-the-dead-the-board-game/

We are on track to start unlocking stretch goals in the near future, and there is quite a bit lined up we'll be looking to throw in for free through that (first stretch goal is an additional 30 minis, extra game board, and some gameplay tokens, for example).

If you have had your fill of zombie board games, there are some preview and review videos at the bottom of the campaign page that go through the (prototype) game in detail why this game feels quite different versus the existing popular zombie games.

Deluxe version currently looks like this
0bcebcc72eb18ea1e02da81a0beb3eac_original.png

I'm a step removed from the team and not actively supporting backers on the campaign itself, but happy to answer any questions anybody has here.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Wanted to post that our studio has "ported" one of our videogames, Into the Dead, to a board game, and the Kickstarter went live yesterday with a "core" box reward tier and a "deluxe" box reward tier.
That's some great artwork! It looks like it's off to a bit of a slow start, but you got a "Project we love" badge, so I'm sure it'll pick up. Good luck with the campaign!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Loks really good. I went over my Kickstarter budget for this month sadly, so next month will also be cut short :-(
Also in the next month I will probably recieve almost 10 kickstarter games, damn.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Ya, that KS looks great! I wish you guys luck. I think if you launched that two years ago then you would be well funded already. But these days, I fear a lot people are just looking for the big companies on KS and spending their money there (e.g. CMON). It's a shame because KS really should be about getting independent games made. Anyway, I'm done my KS rant. Good luck!

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to post that our studio has "ported" one of our videogames, Into the Dead, to a board game, and the Kickstarter went live yesterday with a "core" box reward tier and a "deluxe" box reward tier. Our first board game though we've collaborated with a board game design company, one designer of whom was actually on the design team for the original Into the Dead videogame.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pikpok/into-the-dead-the-board-game/

We are on track to start unlocking stretch goals in the near future, and there is quite a bit lined up we'll be looking to throw in for free through that (first stretch goal is an additional 30 minis, extra game board, and some gameplay tokens, for example).

If you have had your fill of zombie board games, there are some preview and review videos at the bottom of the campaign page that go through the (prototype) game in detail why this game feels quite different versus the existing popular zombie games.

Deluxe version currently looks like this
0bcebcc72eb18ea1e02da81a0beb3eac_original.png

I'm a step removed from the team and not actively supporting backers on the campaign itself, but happy to answer any questions anybody has here.
Unless the policy has changed, self-promotion is very much frowned upon unless it's run by the staff first, just a heads up.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Unless the policy has changed, self-promotion is very much frowned upon unless it's run by the staff first, just a heads up.

Sorry. It's allowed in a lot of threads on the Gaming side, so I just assumed.

Was only intending to post the Kickstarter was running, rather than having ongoing commentary, and answer any questions. So hopefully non intrusive to the community here.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna bite and ask a question about Into the Dead. Let's talk about this idea of "porting" a game from digital to physical.

First of all, there's the notion that a board game could recreate the complexity of certain game mechanics, that a computer game calculates on the fly (IMO, it can't)

But earlier today I got a thought about environmental impact of board game production, after playing CO2 last night. There's a lot of paper, wood, and plastic getting produced for stuff that is becoming more and more disposable. Despite that, games don't really tout recyclable material much at all (either by using recycled material, or asking consumers to recycle when done).

So then at the junction of these two problems is this game just presented to us, Into the Dead. It was a digital game (presumably with no factory production involved), and now it's been "ported" to a format where it's maybe not quite the same as the original version, but uses a ton of paper and plastic.

Can you tell us about the production process of the game, and whether you considered the environmental cost of taking a digital game to a big pile of stuff on a table as in that photo? I'm not asking to be preachy about it, I just think the idea of "digital to cardboard" uniquely highlights the issue of overproduction in board games.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Cross-posting from the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. If that is frowned upon, let me know and I'll delete this.

For sale (or trade):

Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game Core Set w/box and all pack-ins
Disciples of the Void Phoenix Clan Pack
Underhand of the Emperor Scorpion Clan Pack
All Imperial Cycle Dynasty Packs (6) w/story inserts
All Elemental Cycle Dynasty Packs (6) w/story inserts

Basically, I am selling every L5R card pre-Children of the Empire Premium Expansion (2019). All cards are in near-mint condition and will be carefully bagged by Pack to ship. I will also throw in the L5R Honored Duel gamemat for free.

$100 + $10 to help with shipping; US only. I accept PayPal, though we can work out other forms of payment or trade.

PM if interested or if you want to see pics of the cards.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I'm gonna bite and ask a question about Into the Dead. Let's talk about this idea of "porting" a game from digital to physical.

First of all, there's the notion that a board game could recreate the complexity of certain game mechanics, that a computer game calculates on the fly (IMO, it can't)

But earlier today I got a thought about environmental impact of board game production, after playing CO2 last night. There's a lot of paper, wood, and plastic getting produced for stuff that is becoming more and more disposable. Despite that, games don't really tout recyclable material much at all (either by using recycled material, or asking consumers to recycle when done).

So then at the junction of these two problems is this game just presented to us, Into the Dead. It was a digital game (presumably with no factory production involved), and now it's been "ported" to a format where it's maybe not quite the same as the original version, but uses a ton of paper and plastic.

Can you tell us about the production process of the game, and whether you considered the environmental cost of taking a digital game to a big pile of stuff on a table as in that photo? I'm not asking to be preachy about it, I just think the idea of "digital to cardboard" uniquely highlights the issue of overproduction in board games.

Sure. Some good points there.

To speak firstly to our philosophy as a company, while software development is relatively low footprint compared to most industries, we are conscious of any impact we have on the environment and it factors into decisions we make as owners and managers. For example, we recycle paper, cardboard, plastics, and cans etc. Our water cooler is plumbed directly into the main supply, so we don't use large plastic water bottles, and we supply glassware so people don't consume plastic or paper cups. We limit the use of printed materials in favour of digital solutions. We are even the first non food service company in NZ to have a fast food restaurant style Coke soda fountain installed in order to pretty much eliminate the use of cans and bottles.

Now, has any of that thinking factored into the creation of the board game. The straight forward answer is no.

We haven't really discussed the environmental impact of producing a board game, perhaps because it isn't expected to be a regular exercise and isn't at the core of what we do. Day to day people working here usually don't need to think about it, because day to day it usually isn't an issue, so it isn't built into our process. At the very least, we don't expect to have a meaningful impact because ultimately the volume of units is going to be low, and we expect copies to be able to be used and cherished for decades rather than being a disposable, polluting product. I guess a similar thing would apply to our decision to create a 1000 limited edition vinyl release of the soundtrack for one of our successful console titles, Shatter.

What we can do now is raise environmental impact as a consideration as we finalize our decisions around manufacturing and materials. My guess is we'll be quite limited in what gains we could achieve though.

I guess part of what you are asking is "does a boardgame version of the digital game need to exist if the digital version offers the same experience with much lower environmental impact"? Certainly the existence of a boardgame version at all (assuming we get funded) will create more environmental than it not existing. Perhaps selfishly, given most of what we do is wholly digital and ephemeral, we partly greenlit this out of a desire to have a physical manifestation of our work, as a lot of what we do now won't be accessible/playable at all in 5-10 years. But I'd argue, while we are in part positioning the game as a "port", the reality is we are bringing a lot of new stuff to the table that doesn't exist in the videogame such as multiplayer gameplay and interaction, more strategic gameplay, new characters, new artwork/models, physical presence/tangibility etc. It's a new experience that "feels" like the videogame in some aspects because it shares some familiar content and high level concepts, but ultimately it is a new experience and one that will reach new audiences. The same is probably true of any IP moving from a more digital form such as film, digital comics, or videogames into the board game space.

I guess, you could step back and ask a similar question for a lot of IP and media, for example "do collectable figurines of movie characters need to exist when the movie exists"? More on the nose would be "should DVD/Bluray versions of movies exist when digital copies are available"? That's getting well beyond the scope of your more specific raised point, but worthy of conversation (elsewhere) as we collectively enter a more dire climate situation.

So, to summarize, we usually consider the environmental impact when running our company, but we haven't in this case because it didn't occur to us to as this is an unusual exercise outside the norm for us. However, ultimately this will be a niche, low volume enduring product that should have limited net environmental impact, and we can review our manufacturing and materials plans to see if there is opportunity to reduce that impact further. And we feel it is not redundant relative to the existing videogame series as it is (we feel) bringing something new and interesting to both the IP itself and the board game space in terms of gameplay and content.

Hope that answers you question.

Apr 24, 2018
I've gotten into board games due to a local board game shop (with a really nice owner) opening up nearby. My friend and I go in at least once a week to play, especially now with an official board game night there on Wednesdays.

I've discovered the last few months that I definitely prefer lighter games. The medium heavy games I've played feel like more tedium to me. Some games that I've really enjoyed are:

Tribune
Stockpile
Shards of Infinity
Biblios
Lords of Vegas
7 Wonders

Hoping to pick up some similar fairly fast paced games in the future. We're supposed to have a group of 4 and starting our first game of Gloomhaven tonight...curious as to how that will go.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've gotten into board games due to a local board game shop (with a really nice owner) opening up nearby. My friend and I go in at least once a week to play, especially now with an official board game night there on Wednesdays.

I've discovered the last few months that I definitely prefer lighter games. The medium heavy games I've played feel like more tedium to me. Some games that I've really enjoyed are:

Tribune
Stockpile
Shards of Infinity
Biblios
Lords of Vegas
7 Wonders

Hoping to pick up some similar fairly fast paced games in the future. We're supposed to have a group of 4 and starting our first game of Gloomhaven tonight...curious as to how that will go.

New Frontiers plays in 30-45 minutes with straightforward rules but has a lot of depth and replayability. You might want to look into it.

Apr 24, 2018
New Frontiers plays in 30-45 minutes with straightforward rules but has a lot of depth and replayability. You might want to look into it.
Thanks for the suggestion - appreciate it!

Always great to see more people into Lords of Vegas. Vastly underrated in my opinion.
Yeah it's a really fun game - my friend got the expansion a while back but we haven't had a chance to try it yet. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for some opinions on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past game. I just received my survey for the TMNT Adventures: City Fall Kickstarter and I'm considering an "All-In" pledge. I'm familiar with the component problems that plagued the first game, namely concerning inconsistencies with the miniature scaling, but is the gameplay solid? In the absence of quality TMNT video games, a board game that accurately realises the theme would be extremely satisfying.

I'm hoping to pledge for at least one of the core boxes, if not everything by the 28th of February, in order to qualify for the 70+ free comics.

Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO
Cross-posting from the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. If that is frowned upon, let me know and I'll delete this.

For sale (or trade):

Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game Core Set w/box and all pack-ins
Disciples of the Void Phoenix Clan Pack
Underhand of the Emperor Scorpion Clan Pack
All Imperial Cycle Dynasty Packs (6) w/story inserts
All Elemental Cycle Dynasty Packs (6) w/story inserts

Basically, I am selling every L5R card pre-Children of the Empire Premium Expansion (2019). All cards are in near-mint condition and will be carefully bagged by Pack to ship. I will also throw in the L5R Honored Duel gamemat for free.

$100 + $10 to help with shipping; US only. I accept PayPal, though we can work out other forms of payment or trade.

PM if interested or if you want to see pics of the cards.

You wouldn't sell the Elemental cycle packs separately would ya?