• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
This is footage from a Blur 2 prototype build found on a 360 dev kit last year. The build is dated November 9, 2010, around 3 months before Activision closed down Bizarre Creations.

Here's some footage of later builds that were leaked years ago, just for reference of how much the visuals changed from this stage:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I remember wanting to play the original, but I never did outside of a demo. Was it really fun? I remember the gifs.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That was a great generation for racing games, but it also what killed mass investment in arcade-style racing games :(

Look at these killers:
RR6/7
Blur
Split Second
Burnout Paradise
MotorStorm and MotorStorm PR
Wipeout HD/Fusion

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Seeing this just hurts my soul. Is there no way we can get some kind of spiritual successor to Blur? Where did the Bizarre Creations people end up going?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Blur was excellent, and I have no idea why it didn't do that well.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
the first is a great game,i'm pretty sure they closed the servers before i got to try online but i still thoroughly enjoyed the single player game.

bought release day full price,no regrets.

Apr 10, 2018
The first game was SO great. Mario Kart with real cars is a good enough description, but the design of the game was so much better. If i remember correctly, the different weapon pickups all had very useful defensive applications as well as offensive ones, so it felt a lot less random than MK, to me. Also the visuals, sense of speed, sound design, etc were just awesome. The shuttering of Bizarre Creations is something that I'm still bummed about to this day.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
That was a great generation for racing games, but it also what killed mass investment in arcade-style racing games :(

Look at these killers:
RR6/7
Blur
Split Second
Burnout Paradise
MotorStorm and MotorStorm PR
Wipeout HD/Fusion

I was just thinkoing today whilst playing forza horizon 4 that I really miss these more arcadey games based on real cars. Really miss that type of game

Wasn't blur and Split second the two games that released on the exact same day? Reminds me of when Prototype and infamous released on the same day. Doesn't help when your new IP of a semi niche genre releases on the same day as an exact competitor and effectively guts half your audience.

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
A hell of a game, OG Blur. Outside of that glossy, neon-soaked aesthetic, the sound design was phenomenal. Every effect was electric. Glad I got to play it a bunch in its heyday. Terrific multi.

Imagine, what might have been. Was hoping to get a similar thrill out of OnRush, but it never materialised on PC. The bastards.

OP
OP
_Aaron_

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing this just hurts my soul. Is there no way we can get some kind of spiritual successor to Blur? Where did the Bizarre Creations people end up going?

A new studio, Lucid Games, was opened right after Bizarre Creations closed. Some ppl moved there. Others probably formed their own indie studios or moved elsewhere.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sad I never got to play this game. Activision should remaster it.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I was just thinkoing today whilst playing forza horizon 4 that I really miss these more arcadey games based on real cars. Really miss that type of game

Wasn't blur and Split second the two games that released on the exact same day? Reminds me of when Prototype and infamous released on the same day. Doesn't help when your new IP of a semi niche genre releases on the same day as an exact competitor and effectively guts half your audience.

Infamous and Prototype didn't release on the same day but in the same month, IIRC, and both sold well enough to merit at least on sequel--Infamous being PS3 exclusive probably mitigated the similar release window for Radical/Prototype.

Blur and Split/Second cannibalized each other. Additioanlly Bizarre's James Bond game, Blood Stone , was released the same day as Eurocom's remake of Goldeneye . So... people who wanted a Bond game probably were gonna go with the remake of one of the most famously successful licensed games of all time (and Eurocom had plenty of experience with The World is Not Enough and Nightfire ). Activision pushed Goldeneye a lot more in terms of marketing, and it was on the Wii--a much larger install base. Also... Blood Stone was competing with CoD, Assassin's Creed, and other really big names.

Blur and Blood Stone were essentially a double tap for Bizarre.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Blur was excellent, and I have no idea why it didn't do that well.

Because there wasn't an audience for it.

PGR fans wanted PGR, not a game that was closer to Mario Kart/Wipeout. It was a game that took real cars and gave them neon weapons.

The game was fun, but it wasn't something people wanted.

Acti made a bad decision to kill the team - some pretty talented people on Bizarre, but they made some missteps such as Blur and to a certain extent PGR4.

And exactly the same thing happened with Evolution and Driveclub/Onrush.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Infamous and Prototype didn't release on the same day but in the same month, IIRC, and both sold well enough to merit at least on sequel--Infamous being PS3 exclusive probably mitigated the similar release window for Radical/Prototype.

Blur and Split/Second cannibalized each other. Additioanlly Bizarre's James Bond game, Blood Stone , was released the same day as Eurocom's remake of Goldeneye . So... people who wanted a Bond game probably were gonna go with the remake of one of the most famously successful licensed games of all time (and Eurocom had plenty of experience with The World is Not Enough and Nightfire ). Activision pushed Goldeneye a lot more in terms of marketing, and it was on the Wii--a much larger install base. Also... Blood Stone was competing with CoD, Assassin's Creed, and other really big names.

Blur and Blood Stone were essentially a double tap for Bizarre.

Ouch. Didn't realise they were also the same people that made PGR, but at the time Forza became so big as the main xbox brand racing game that I doubt they would have been that successful with a 5th game even if they had managed to be sold from activision.

Amazing how much a release date of your game can monumentally fuck you over.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Man first game was incredibly fun.
I remember spending hours on it with my friends playing 4 player split-screen. Shame this was canned.

This did not age well.

No it didn't age well at all. This kind of crap marketing that should have been left behind in the 90's

Blur was amazing on it's own from playing the shit out of it and should have been a thing we can look forward to now and that test footage still looks amazing even all these years later.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
the first is a great game,i'm pretty sure they closed the servers before i got to try online but i still thoroughly enjoyed the single player game.

bought release day full price,no regrets.

The servers are still up btw.
There's 8 people in a race right now on XBL.

Shame it never got made B/C, I'd still be playing it if I didn't have to boot up my very noisy 360.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the game would have been a total blast with some of these tracks (also looking at the alpha version of Dubai). Sad we do not get games like these anymore.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
The servers are still up btw.
There's 8 people in a race right now on XBL.

Shame it never got made B/C, I'd still be playing it if I didn't have to boot up my very noisy 360.
it wasn't on ps3 when i tried it years ago,there was nothing to connect to if i remember right.

EDIT: looking around it appears the servers are still running on psn as well,they must have been down when i tried them and i assumed them off.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Blur and Split Second came out within a week of each other, definitely was not a good decision.

Wiggle

Nov 25, 2019
Some of them went to work on Sonic Racing Transformed. They definitely brought some of the weapon functionality of Blur over with them.

Jul 26, 2018
I've always wanted to play Blur but was always distracted by Split Second. Even playing Split Second today is still fun.

Shame that BOTH games sequels have been canceled.

But I remember seeing that someone (SS fan) is making a sequel I think. He has posted videos of his development progress and even made car mods such as using a Bugatti Chiron in SS. Just imagine that. It was awesome to see.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Dang would love to have gotten this, Blue was so good back in the day, I saw it was delisted and have been thinking about grabbing a disc but its not xbox one BC yet and I dont know how many 360 only games I want to be stuck with.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It still hurts to think about what happened to Titanfall 2.

Don't remind me. Not too mention they put it against COD aswell and a bunch of other end of year heavy hitters.

They really need to stop thinking they can take away players from COD. COD has been the top dog for 13 years now, if cod is going to deflate in playerbases it will be by their own dumb decisions not other competition

I've always wanted to play Blur but was always distracted by Split Second. Even playing Split Second today is still fun.

Shame that BOTH games sequels have been canceled.

But I remember seeing that someone (SS fan) is making a sequel I think. He has posted videos of his development progress and even made car mods such as using a Bugatti Chiron in SS. Just imagine that. It was awesome to see.

Yeah I got split second out of the two when they came out. i actually just checked and realised split second is actually still on steam. I thought it got delisted years ago. might give it a buy when it goes on sale

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Blur was so fucking good, it's such a shame Bizarre got fucked by Activision.

Didn't Bizarre kinda fuck themselves by making that weird shooter/ racing game?

Edit: I see Blur came afterward. Still having a string of commercial disappointments after pgr4 made did then in.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Stupid concept paying for brand car licenses and then making a powerup game. Least cost effective concept.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still so pissed off what Bizarre Creations became. PGR4 is one of my fave games ever, Blur was great and even bloody 007 Blood Stone was one of the best third person shooters last gen. So sad.