• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding, Blumhouse makes crap horror movies (the new The Craft, The Gallows, Ouija, Fantasy Island, among other horrible Blumhouse movies) to appeal to dumb kids with money to spend, then uses that money to fund good stuff (Happy Death Day, the new Halloween, Get Out,...). So it can either go two ways, but given the care they gave to the Halloween movie, I'm sure they'd do the same with a Ft13 movie. It's just sad they didn't have that sorta care for the new Craft movie. They could've done something awesome with that.
Damn. I liked their take on Fantasy Island.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding, Blumhouse makes crap horror movies (the new The Craft, The Gallows, Ouija, Fantasy Island, among other horrible Blumhouse movies) to appeal to dumb kids with money to spend, then uses that money to fund good stuff (Happy Death Day, the new Halloween, Get Out,...). So it can either go two ways, but given the care they gave to the Halloween movie, I'm sure they'd do the same with a Ft13 movie. It's just sad they didn't have that sorta care for the new Craft movie. They could've done something awesome with that.
They made Ouija 1 for the masses so we could have Ouija: Origin of Evil, and I'm ok with that

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Revive Nic Antosca's script from a few years ago. If it was shot as-is, it would have easily been a contender for best in the series.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Jason please bring him back we need him
Btw november 13 will be a friday, mark it on your calendars and watch the best one
it's part VI

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
There's already a really good reboot script from the writer of Prisoners and Raised by Wolves that has been sitting unproduced for ages.
Since the rights are all messed up, they should just get the rights to the Final Girl manga and make a movie based on that instead with the Happy Death Day people!

"A guy finds himself transported into the world of a classic horror movie. And what's more, as the 'slutty character' who dies first!?"
There's already a better take on this idea (where it's the daughter of a scream queen):

I didn't like it very much but it has its fans.
All I want is for someone to take Nick Antosca's script, give it a rewrite or two to fix some of the minor issues, and give us the Friday the 13th the fans deserved half a decade ago. I still can't believe Paramount's decision to not go ahead with the script when production was already scouting locations and switch gears to that awful script Aaron Guzikowski that thankfully got canceled as a result of Rings' failure. We could have had something really, really special:

Jason being more of a wraith; just a vengeful spirit who cannot be put down by any means. At first you think he is just regular human Jason but there are points in the script where he has this paranormal presence about him; it's only when one of the counselors is pulled down to the depths of Crystal Lake do you see that he keeps his victims down there. Pile on a likable cast of characters, some vicious and brutal kills, one of the best last acts in any slasher movie, a tease for a winter sequel...
Huh, you didn't like it? The material is so much better / more interesting than anything else in the franchise imo (I haven't read the Antosca version though, so /shrug).

Last edited:

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I am ready for a reboot but I want it to continue in the series. Blumhouse can make it happen I have faith. I just finished the box set and that was bananas.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
I think Friday the 13th is the most consistently entertaining of the long running horror franchises of its ilk, but I don't trust Blumhouse as I hate like 80% of the low effort shit that studio churns out.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
My dream directors to modernize certain horror franchises:

Friday the 13th-Andy Muschietti
His team did such a great job with It with the banter between the kids to make you care about them. I think they could make a disposable cast still be compelling in a 13th movie. I Feel with an R rating they could do a great job!

Alien- Robert Eggers
His dedication to a setting and use of storytelling through camera work and minimal exposition is perfect for the franchise imo.

Scream- Matt Bettineli, Tyler Gillett.
Loved what they did with Ready or not, the dialogue and final girl moments in that movie are awesome.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched Halloween II (1981) last night for the first time in AGES (probably nearly a decade).

Man, I had always thought I was a fan of it. Turns out that's not the case - its just as soulless and vapid as the legions of other slasher franchises that the original Halloween inspired. It has none of the brilliance and mastery that is behind the timeless original.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
That's too bad. I really liked the remake movie and it's style, I wish they would continue in that continuity.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched Halloween II (1981) last night for the first time in AGES (probably nearly a decade).

Man, I had always thought I was a fan of it. Turns out that's not the case - its just as soulless and vapid as the legions of other slasher franchises that the original Halloween inspired. It has none of the brilliance and mastery that is behind the timeless original.
Halloween II gave us this at least:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give it Rob Zombie. Please!
137593505136.jpg

plz no

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I just woke up and read this as "Blumhouse wants to reboot the FRIDAY franchise" as in the Ice Cube franchise. This makes more sense. I'd watch it if it's quality.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
You're not topping Sam Winchester versus Jason. That reboot was the best in the series.
'09, Jason Lives, and X are the best in the series by a large margin

FvJ is the best one of either franchise

don't at me
I want to see an Ari Aster version of Friday the 13th.
He would be more suited to Elm Street I think.

Actually caught the sequel last night for the first time.

I thought it began and ended strongly, but the middle drags hard. I legit dozed off for a bit.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
From what I've read, Blumhouse gives a lot of creative control to the writers/directors as long as they keep the budgets low.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
A reboot would be nice but Blumhouse movies are pretty awful.

I mean generally Blumhouse productions are well received. But we are talking F13, a franchise where most fans think at least a quarter of the films are awful, some are mediocre, and only a few genuinely enjoyable. This ain't no sacred cow.

I love the series as a whole, but I would not put a single film anywhere near my favorites of all time. It's a series that is impressive for having produced 12 films that swing through all kinds of tones and genres. As a whole it's an impressive work, greater than the sum of its parts.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Halloween (2018), Get Out, Upgrade, Us, Blackkklansman, Whiplash, Paranormal Activity, The Bay, The Gift, Hush, Split and The Invisible Man are awful?
I genuinely didn't know Get Out or Us were Blumhouse, I guess I just saw some shitty ones when preparing for Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios.

Oct 26, 2017
All I want is for someone to take Nick Antosca's script, give it a rewrite or two to fix some of the minor issues, and give us the Friday the 13th the fans deserved half a decade ago. I still can't believe Paramount's decision to not go ahead with the script when production was already scouting locations and switch gears to that awful script Aaron Guzikowski that thankfully got canceled as a result of Rings' failure. We could have had something really, really special:

Jason being more of a wraith; just a vengeful spirit who cannot be put down by any means. At first you think he is just regular human Jason but there are points in the script where he has this paranormal presence about him; it's only when one of the counselors is pulled down to the depths of Crystal Lake do you see that he keeps his victims down there. Pile on a likable cast of characters, some vicious and brutal kills, one of the best last acts in any slasher movie, a tease for a winter sequel...

God, what could have been.

No offense, but that sounds monumentally stupid.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

The presentation carries it. But yeah it's just F13 in a hospital with Michael Myers.

Last edited:

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I had an idea about how to reboot the Ft13 series while keeping it somewhat true to the original one. Alice is the main character again and the same gist is that these young adults are making their way to Camp Crystal Lake, a long-abandoned summer camp, because someone bought it and hopes to re-open it. Alice was hired because, as a child, she went to Camp Crystal Lake. With that, we move some of the events around. Alice was a child when Jason drowned, but to go further than that, young Alice KNEW Jason. She was his only friend when the other campers would pick on him. She was also indirectly responsible for Jason going into the lake (let's say she had a ball that she and Jason would play with, but it accidentally bounced into the lake and started floating further out). Alice was a bad swimmer and Jason decided to go get the ball for her and impress her, but he was also a lousy swimmer and wind up drowning. Alice screamed for help, but the Counselors were fucking (this part doesn't change). She eventually gets Pamela, but it's "too late".

So, you got grown up Alice returning to the camp, hopeful of making something out of it. Pamela returns, also familiar with the camp and with Alice (lots of tension, and they try to avoid talking about Jason). Eventually an attempt is made at killing Alice, but she survives. We see other counselors not so lucky, as they are killed by a killer that seems to be in multiple places (like the more later Jason teleporting ability). Alice is finally confronted by Pamela in the main cabin and she evades her, makes her way outside to find JASON (hocky mask and all). Turns out after the end of Summer, and the campers headed home, Pamela massacred the staff of Camp Crystal Lake. Jason DIDN'T die, but suffered brain damage, and first he was in a coma but started regaining consciousness. He had bouts of rage and aggression, and it didn't help Pamela was teaching him to hate anybody associated with that camp, even the unlikely. Pamela blames the counselors for neglecting their duties, not saving her son while being pre-occupied fornicating, and also blames Alice, the reason Jason went out into the lake.

The ending segment is a chase through the camp, into the forest and into Pamela/Jason's secret cabin (where Pamela's been keeping Jason throughout the years). Jason has moments of hesitation when it comes to killing Alice because he remembers her as his friend. Pamela doesn't and goes in for the kill, but Alice manages to kill her (big, bloody decapitation). This unchains any restraint Jason had about Alice and now he's out for her blood. She traps him in his cabin and sets it on fire, then runs for the road, flags down a driver and heads off, TCM-style. We return to the cabin, it's door is battered down, footsteps lead off into the forest, and Pamela's body is lying in a pool of blood, her decapitated head missing.

Damn. I liked their take on Fantasy Island.
No one said you can't like it. It's widely considered a bad movie, I thought it was pretty bad, but there's no shame in liking bad movies. There are some stinkers out there that I actually like and enjoy a LOT. I don't feel guilty about it either. If you like it, you like it!

They made Ouija 1 for the masses so we could have Ouija: Origin of Evil, and I'm ok with that
Ouija 1 was like something a committee made while saying, "Okay, how do we appeal to these modern horror kids? Jumpscares and shallow, annoying characters!", in the way other studios treat the horror audience and young people. That always pissed me off. It's the whole, "All you gotta do is place in a bunch of jumpscares! Y'know, jingle the set of keys in front of them and they'll be entertained!" I don't' doubt SOME are, but I do think a lot of people get tricked into those movies, similar to how some of us older folk got tricked into renting or seeing crappy movies back in the day just based on the trailers, posters, or VHS covers at the video stores.

Origin of Evil was a legit good horror flick. I just hate it's connected to the first movie because it's the prequel to it. In my own headcanon, Origin of Evil's stand alone and the events of the Ouija 1 never took place.

There's already a better take on this idea (where it's the daughter of a scream queen):

That movie's legit depressing in parts, not in a bad way, but in a "bringin' on the feels" type of way. It's also totally awesome!

Last edited:

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Halloween II gave us this at least:

That scene messed me up as a kid. You expect people be murdered by Michael in a Halloween movie but that kid getting pinned by a cop car and burning to death just felt so wrong. And then they all take off and leave him there burning. Lol

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
No offense, but that sounds monumentally stupid.

By all means, read it yourself or check out the blog post; both I'll link below. The script does a great job of building up it's characters and setting an intense atmosphere once the shit hits the fan.

Huh, you didn't like it? The material is so much better / more interesting than anything else in the franchise imo (I haven't read the Antosca version though, so /shrug).

It was interesting and does have some fresh ideas, but it would have worked better for me being two separate movies than trying to cram everything and the kitchen sink in one script. I liked how it dealt with the trauma that the victims had to face after surviving and learning more about the backstory of the Voorhees family.

For anyone wanting to, here are the scripts we are talking about:

Antosca: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B42MkZ5MXBjtcnJNbWtkWG9iS3lScU9nMmpudmtrTjBmUGlr/view

Guzikowski: https://www.docdroid.net/kdTazpQ/f13guzikowski-pdf

Also, if no one has three hours to read these scripts, Life Between Frames did a write up on both scripts:

Antosca: http://lifebetweenframes.blogspot.com/2017/02/script-review-friday-13th-3-d-by-nick.html?m=1

Guzikowski: http://lifebetweenframes.blogspot.com/2017/03/script-review-friday-13th-part-13-by.html?m=1

Last edited: