• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Hi,

Does bluetooth audio make sense in 2020? Does bluetooth 5.0 provide a lag free experience when playing any type of game, may it be 2D platformer or a FPS? By lag free experience, I mean a lag so subtle that it's not discernible.

Thanks

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I recently did some testing with transmitters and headphones/receivers for handheld devices (Switch/3DS) and found that latency is too high unless you are using the aptX Low Latency codec. Even then, it's just passable for me.

mpow-mhxx-grip-5cj9o.jpg

Regular aptX/aptX HD, SBC, or AAC are all too high latency and have a very obvious delay.
One of the transmitters I used had a reduced-latency aptX mode (different from aptX-LL) which minimized latency as much as that codec could support, and it was still too high.

Unfortunately most wireless headphones don't support aptX-LL. Most which do are ones listed on Amazon from companies you've never head of that ship direct from China.
Avantree's transmitters/receivers were very high quality in my testing, and they do make headphones which support aptX-LL - though I haven't tested those.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
If you want as low latency as possible through bluetooth, you'll need headphones that support Aptx Low Latency codec and a transmitter that is compatible with Aptx Low Latency. Generally that codec has latency down to around 40-50ms, slight variations between different hardware.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I use almost exclusively Bluetooth audio for everything in 2020 and have zero issues with it.

One of my most wanted features for new consoles is Bluetooth audio built-in though. I don't understand why ps4, Xbox, Switch, etc. can't be made to just pair with Bluetooth headphones and devices without needing USB dongles. I would legit buy another Switch if they added Bluetooth (I know there's adapters but)

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Crap that's too bad then. I was looking to replace my good old 11 years old Shure SH440. Considering this fact, I'll stick to wired headphones. Would you be able to recommend me good headphones? My budget is rather poor though. About $90 CAD, will is around $70 US.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I recently did some testing with transmitters and headphones/receivers for handheld devices (Switch/3DS) and found that latency is too high unless you are using the aptX Low Latency codec. Even then, it's just passable for me.

mpow-mhxx-grip-5cj9o.jpg

Regular aptX/aptX HD, SBC, or AAC are all too high latency and have a very obvious delay.
One of the transmitters I used had a reduced-latency aptX mode (different from aptX-LL) which minimized latency as much as that codec could support, and it was still too high.

Unfortunately most wireless headphones don't support aptX-LL. Most which do are ones listed on Amazon from companies you've never head of that ship direct from China.
Avantree's transmitters/receivers were very high quality in my testing, and they do make headphones which support aptX-LL - though I haven't tested those.
If you want as low latency as possible through bluetooth, you'll need headphones that support Aptx Low Latency codec and a transmitter that is compatible with Aptx Low Latency. Generally that codec has latency down to around 40-50ms, slight variations between different hardware.
Both y'all responded while I was typing and sound a lot smarter did me. Didn't mean to sound dismissive. That was a cool read I appreciate the info!

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aptx LL transceivers and receivers are easy to find. I have about 30 for testing on youtube. Currently, there isn't a codec/system that works fast enough other than that for games. You can easily add them to controllers, receivers, PC's and so forth. The nice thing is there are many that also can power some headphones for a bit of time as well if you need them in a pinch.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I use Bluetooth on my driving simulator and it's great, I haven't noticed any difference in delay or anything.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
I use razer's new wireless earbuds with BT5.0 and some extra low latency mode and on DJMAX it immediately feels off. On other games I don't really notice.

Gamer4life

Dec 6, 2017
My Samsung tv has bluetooth built in. Probably version 4.1. Works fine with my two different pairs of BT headphones. Neither of which are famcy with the codecs. No delays or lag on PS4Pro and X1X or on any tv apps.

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Oh well. I ended up buying some Audio-Technica ATH-M20x instead. I heard good comments about them over the last 2 years or so but I wasn't so sure about it since I wanted bluetooth headphones but now that I know latency can still be an issue, I decided to pull the trigger on those.

Thanks!

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
on games that have alot of sound effects or require precise inputs were the gameplay is designed with sound design in mind it'll feel off