• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Afternoon, Era.

I recently picked up one of the Bluetooth enabled Xbox One controllers to use with my new PC. It was between that and an 8BitDo, but my dumb brain likes the button prompts to match where possible, so here we are.

The thing is, my new PC doesn't have Bluetooth. I assumed Bluetooth was so ubiquitous that I never even thought to check.

So I'm in the market for a Bluetooth adapter. As plug and play as possible. Any recommendations?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I got a cheap one. I think it should be enough for it to be 4.0.
Older than that and it won't work.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a very cheap one, and it does not work at all. The reception can barely reach from the back of my computer to the front.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend the official Xbox One usb receiver. It's a bit pricier and uses some proprietary connection instead of bluetooth but I've had a lot less issues with that one than with the bluetooth, which was always really slow to connect and had range issues.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend the official Xbox One usb receiver. It's a bit pricier and uses some proprietary connection instead of bluetooth but I've had a lot less issues with that one than with the bluetooth, which was always really slow to connect and had range issues.
+1

+99 if the controller is realistically the only thing you'll be using with the adapter

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if all you're going to be using it for is the Xbox controller, just get the official dongle. It's about the same price as a Bluetooth dongle, but is a lot more convenient as you don't have to mess with Windows' (still) bad Bluetooth interface, the input lag and connection quality and range is superior, and it avoids a few awkward bugs that are unlikely to ever be fixed.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Afternoon, Era.

I recently picked up one of the Bluetooth enabled Xbox One controllers to use with my new PC. It was between that and an 8BitDo, but my dumb brain likes the button prompts to match where possible, so here we are.

The thing is, my new PC doesn't have Bluetooth. I assumed Bluetooth was so ubiquitous that I never even thought to check.

So I'm in the market for a Bluetooth adapter. As plug and play as possible. Any recommendations?
Does your pc have wireless ?
The Xbone Controller has that too.
I got a new Mobo with my new CPU, and couldnt bring my PC to connect to the controller till i added the wireless antenna(i left it out since my pc is wired to my router), since it extended the reach of the Built in BT too.
Now my controller works from across the street, because that is important.

Otherwise i would suggest getting something that costs more than the cheapest one.
The very cheap BT adaptors tend to be so weak, some dont even reach from the back of the pc to the front.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Honestly, if all you're going to be using it for is the Xbox controller, just get the official dongle. It's about the same price as a Bluetooth dongle, but is a lot more convenient as you don't have to mess with Windows' (still) bad Bluetooth interface, the input lag and connection quality and range is superior, and it avoids a few awkward bugs that are unlikely to ever be fixed.
Those adaptors are still a bit buggy, both the original and the updated ones. There are times (at least for me on multiple PCs) that they just stop working out of nowhere and you have to reseat them. They're still superior to BT, and you can use the OG Elite controller to boot. Just wanted to point that out.

Oh, and they still bend like paper if you touch it the wrong way ;(

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Those adaptors are still a bit buggy, both the original and the updated ones. There are times (at least for me on multiple PCs) that they just stop working out of nowhere and you have to reseat them. They're still superior to BT, and you can use the OG Elite controller to boot. Just wanted to point that out.

How does a USB stick bend like paper?

Oct 27, 2017

Huh. I've got one of the new ones and I've never had a problem with it: I paired it once and whenever I turn on the controller it instantly connects. Although I guess I have the simplest possible setup: one controller that I only use with that one PC.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The USB connection to the housing is very weak. I've destroyed 2 of them by moving by PC slightly and they stop working. That has happened with both the new ones and the old ones. They don't show any damage but they don't work anymore either ;(

I don't understand how they can be that fragile. Did you use them with a laptop? Something that would be moving around a lot?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Noooo, OP, don't get Bluetooth dongle. First of all it will not support all controllers functions and also Bluetooth connections can be dodgy.

Use official wireless dongle like others suggested, it's only few dollars more than these Bluetooth dongles and you'll get fast wireless connection and will be able to use controller to the fullest.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'd get the official mini (new) Xbox dongle. If not, then maybe one of the 8bitdo dongles as a Bluetooth adapter?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I would seriously just recommend the official one. I tried two bluetooth ones both highly rated and one literally fell apart after a week, and the other would not always connect.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've got the official original xbox adapter(the long one). I used to have trouble with it, but some windows 10 update fixed it last year and never had a single problem since. Far better reach and more reliable than bluetooth adapters in my experience, plus it can connect up to 8 controllers at once.

On the other hand, the 8bitdo adapter can be very very useful. You can connect your Xbox one controller (Without trigger rumble), and practically every other bluetooth controller out there without hassle (and use it with a Switch among other systems), but you can only connect one controller at once.

If you don't care about trigger rumble (not many PC games use this anyways) or care about connecting more than one controller at a time, I say go for the 8bitdo adapter.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. First on was on the front of my PC. I accidently hit it and it stopped working. The other one was on the back of my HTPC and I yanked a cable (it was a thick boi) and it bent the back the other one.
Ehhh, sounds like you are just a bit of a klutz with your hardware. I haven't had a single problem with official dongle and I used it for years and years. New one seems especially sturdy and well built.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

+ 1 on this.

Have been using it for the last few years, works perfectly. An additional benefit is that you don't have to deal with the Bluetooth crap.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Ehhh, sounds like you are just a bit of a klutz with your hardware. I haven't had a single problem with official dongle and I used it for years and years. New one seems especially sturdy and well built.

Same happened to mine though.I just moved and removed the USB connection normally. Didnt work anymore in the new apt unless you bend it.
Just bought a new one.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I love the proprietary wireless dongle for Windows 10. I used the Xbox 360 one and never bought an Xbox One but have been using their controllers ever since they released the newest dongle and it is crazy how much better it works than Bluetooth.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If it's just for controllers, I second the recommendation to buy the official adapter rather than Bluetooth.

I bought a very cheap one, and it does not work at all. The reception can barely reach from the back of my computer to the front.
If you're using a recessed port on the back of the computer, the receiver is almost inside a faraday cage.
You shouldn't expect the signal to travel through metal.

Use a front/top port for that sort of device, or buy a PCIe WiFi/Bluetooth card with antennas.
I think I paid around $35 for an AX200 card with Intel's latest WiFi 6 / Bluetooth 5.0 hardware at the time - I don't know if they have something newer now.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Echoing many others here, I highly recommend the official Xbox One adapter from Microsoft. I have both the original and the new slim version and they both work flawlessly. Great range, no connectivity loss/stability issues, and no perceptible input latency.

It's a device you'll be using for many years to come, so I wouldn't cheap out on alternatives just to save a few bucks.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I second this 100%. Just bought mine because I had constant issues with bluetooth stability. The W10 Xbox controller works great.