• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
User Warned: Off-topic, platform wars rhetoric.
Sony need to aspire to be like Nintendo, where they have such a strong 1st party that people will buy their hardware just to play their games.

Sony is not there yet, they have some amazing games, but no IP like Mario, Pokemon and now, Zelda yet. But that's what Sony should aim. They can't afford to compete with ms in term of warchest for acquisition, games and cloud subscription services.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
god damn sony just aquire them already lol. They can do the "xbox enhanced" for old playstation games like resistance,killzone, jak and daxter extra. They are a very good team.

What would that change, other than Sony being down a few million? Seems like a waste of money to maintain the status quo.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I would agree, but their next game, Demons, "is a reimagining". Surely they can imagine their own game given the opportunity.

You see what happened to Ninja Theory..Hellblade went from A PS exclusive to never being on PS again. Same for Psychonauts.

i would not put so much stock in the language. it will likely still be heavily based on the old code and assets, they arent making a brand new game from scratch ala FF7R or R&C PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point in time Sony should just buy them and have them do both remasters/remakes and new IP. Looking up the list on Wikipedia, Sony owns a ton of IPs. Where's my remakes/remasters of Rule of Rose, Skyblazer and Ghosthunter, Sony? And why not a VR version of Siren?

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they were acquired they need to become another ICE team and be core to how Sony create their tools in particular for backwards compatibility.

The games they've untangled just to remaster/remake gives them considerable knowledge on Sony's older systems.

ps3ud0 8)

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sony need to aspire to be like Nintendo, where they have such a strong 1st party that people will buy their hardware just to play their games.

Sony is not there yet, they have some amazing games, but no IP like Mario, Pokemon and now, Zelda yet. But that's what Sony should aim. They can't afford to compete with ms in term of warchest for acquisition, games and cloud subscription services.

They already have exclusives people will buy Playstations for. Its honestly unreasonable to ask for them to make mascots on par with Mario Pokemona and Zelda. Its completely impossible to replicate Nintendo who do things in a specific way and have since they entered the biz. Sony have always had a synergistic effect with first part/third party staple

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Psychonauts was originally an xbox exclusive. It got ported to ps2 2 months after its initial release
I don't think it was meant to be an "Xbox exclusive" iirc.
They have a psychonauts psvr time exclusive game too. And multiple similar deals with double fine in the past. But you get the point..
i would not put so much stock in the language. it will likely still be heavily based on the old code and assets, they arent making a brand new game from scratch ala FF7R or R&C PS4.
yea, no doubt.. just saying.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
I don't think it was meant to be an "Xbox exclusive" iirc.
They have a psychonauts psvr time exclusive game too. And multiple similar deals with double fine in the past. But you get the point..
The orignal psychonauts actually was going to be completely xbox exclusive, but then microsoft backed out of publishing it. And now theyre publishing psychonauts 2, oh how the times change

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Lol Sony can not compete with MS when it comes to games xD XD
And were are there not yet ? I thought they have the most successful console brand ever xD

Who needs such a off topic nonsense ?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think they are there though. I own an switch and a PS4 , both to play their exclusives. Sales wise Nintendo has the edge, but quality wise Sony is up there. There is no way I'm not buying a ps5 and that is a product of their first party ip.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I think they are there though. I own an switch and a PS4 , both to play their exclusives. Sales wise Nintendo has the edge, but quality wise Sony is up there. There is no way I'm not buying a ps5 and that is a product of their first party ip.

Some are trying this "panic mode" nonsense in every Sony related thread....

Oct 26, 2017
They do? Never noticed

Jason Schreier has been pretty much confirming it over the last few months on here
Damn, that's a shame. So many other games that I'd like to see them handle instead. I know others love the game but it ended up being perhaps my least favorite game

You see what happened to Ninja Theory..Hellblade went from A PS exclusive to never being on PS again. Same for Psychonauts.
Not a common occurrence though and it's not as if PS consoles are exactly lacking in games. It could happen but it's rather unlikely. I'd expect Bluepoint to forever remain Sony only

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I imagine if ms or other company is trying to buy BP or any other studio with close ties to Sony, the studio would probably inform Sony as well to see if Sony is interested to buy the studio themselves, right?

Oct 26, 2017
It's logical that they have a contract with Sony that include right of first refusal. If someone wants to buy them, Sony has a right to buy the studio first. It's the same situation as Respawn Entertainment.
Yeah, that's about what I'd expect, not that anyone should even be worried over them being acquired by anyone else

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I was gonna say meh given pc versions already but then... deadspace + HDR + RT... yea it could work as something special. Just allow rebooting the story with 2 and we have a real talk.

First i was like Dead Space, yeah...
Then I was like, yeah PC already exists.
Then you said raytracing. Jesus.

Can you imagine the Ishimura sections with RT? The intro to DS2?

Fuck that, my heart aint ready

Oct 27, 2017
About a game that isn't even announced? No

How's the licensing on Demon's Souls work? Who owns the IP? I know From made it, but does Sony own the IP? Or From?

If it is in development, why waste Bluepoint on it? Why wouldn't From do it themselves? I assume they're big enough.
Sony owns the IP and the game itself and From are busy so Bluepoint would be the best choice.

Oct 26, 2017
If it is in development, why waste Bluepoint on it? Why wouldn't From do it themselves? I assume they're big enough.

Because From is busy making multiplatform games that will sell more and generate more revenue than a remake of Demons Souls, they are indeed big, but a multiplatform game will always sell than an exclusive title for From.

I mean, why work for Sony on an external IP, when you have your own IPs (Dark Souls, Sekiro, Elden Ring)?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's good they have a strong relationship, but I hope this means "just" another game as opposed to an acquisition.

Bluepoint are one of the best at what they do, and to have them limited to one company's games would be disappointing.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree, but their next game, Demons, "is a reimagining". Surely they can imagine their own game given the opportunity.

Was Hellblade ever a real exclusive or did NT focus on the PS4 first and that's where the money was?

I mean, let's not forget that NT aren't a huge developer. It was probably the same situation as NMS as I'd imagine.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
After demons? Id love that. Is a turned based rpg with good production values and good story and characters so bad?

A turn-based JRPG with good production values and a good story and characters is basically my wet dream. But one based off of The Legend of Dragoon? Ehh, it's not exactly grade-A source material. Maybe Bluepoint could do wonderful things if they remade it but diverted radically from the original, but honestly I don't see much point. There isn't really that much demand for the IP to come back and I wouldn't say TLoD constitutes as even a cult classic these days.

By all means, make a turn-based JRPG, but base it off of a superior franchise, or just create a new one entirely.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
If their next PS5 project is a success I can see Sony acquiring them (if there aren't plans to do so already). They perfectly fit the criteria that Sony generally looks for to acquire a studio (having built a successful working relationship with a proven commercial success together).

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
There's too many third party IPs that I'd love to see remastered by Bluepoint, so I wouldn't want them to get acquired by Sony

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think we're ever getting LoD. They'll probably remake Bloodbourn next or one of those types of games. Sigh. 😔

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's a nice quote, but "we're a company based on commissions and we would hate to get new commissions" said pretty much no company ever. The only thing you can really learn from this is that the collaboration around SotC didn't go south spectacularly.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Last edited: