• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I still don't understand the need for a Demon's Souls remake, a game that is barely 10 years old and perfectly playable by today's standards.
1. Sony owns the IP.
2. The series/genre was popularized with Dark Souls that was released simultaneously worldwide as a multiplatform title in 2011. Demon's Souls (released 11 years ago) was the start and it had a staggered release over 18 months. It had to earn its name and establish its genre and not nearly as many players got to play it.
3. Demon's Souls servers went offline years ago. The backbone behind arguably its coolest most unique features.
4. Game is only playable on a PS3 unless you own a modern PC and want to set it up for emulation, rip game/download torrent etc. Demon's Souls is not easily available to most people today.

Last edited:

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
Just don't see why it would be a demon souls remake when PS5 is already launching with Godfall, another souls like game. Now obviously the two aren't the same game but I would rather have more variety in genres for AAA games in the first year. Not to mention Elden Ring is mostly like coming 2021. Would rather have bluepoint use their graphics expertise on something else tbh.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Just don't see why it would be a demon souls remake when PS5 is already launching with Godfall, another souls like game. Now obviously the two aren't the same game but I would rather have more variety in genres for AAA games in the first year. Not to mention Elden Ring is mostly like coming 2021. Would rather have bluepoint use their graphics expertise on something else tbh.

God fall is a souls like?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they keep the music as wacky as it was. They mainstream'd it for Dark Souls with Sakuraba making his usual poo.

I really hope Bluepoint is NOT Making this though. They're too talented to keep doing remakes. Let Sony Japan studios do Remakes since without From I'm not sure what they can do. But Bluepoint should be making original games for Sony.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I still don't understand the need for a Demon's Souls remake, a game that is barely 10 years old and perfectly playable by today's standards.

Why remake anything by those metrics? RE1 was still perfectly playable in 2002. RE2 was still perfectly playable last year. FFVII- etc.

Unlike cinema, game tech changes/evolves rapidly. We've already seen how a single generation remake can look remarkably better (RE1 to REmake, SOTC Remaster to SOTC Remake). 10 years in video game tech is a LONG time.

Demon's Souls can still look and perform better. It can be reintroduced to a whole new audience- and do so with a clean, fresh sheen on it. More importantly, it can get new online netcode for consoles, as DeS went offline, what, two years ago?

I'm pretty excited no matter what the game is, but a DeS remake certainly doesn't seem far-fetched to me.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Remember in the old site when Demon's Souls was first annouced, people were extremely dissapointed because it was not a King's Field proper sequel?

And now people are thirsty as fuck for a Demons Soul Remake. How things have changed.
I remember when From Software (or atlus) announced Demons Souls exclusive to PS3 and Ninja blade exclusive to x360, and everyone and their mothers concluded that 360 won by a landslide. Yup those were the times.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
A lot of people are saying Demon's Souls, LoD, etc... but I could also see it being something like Jak and Daxter.

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, a bunch of people are going to be disappointed no matter what game it is.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
If it's seriously Demon's Souls I'm gonna lose some pants.
From being excited of course.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
imagine if they blow it out of the water but also had their own innovations and even new levels/monsters etc... and succeed

Sony pretty much got their "From" if so and would be foolish to not purchase them (they already have immense worth for being acquired)

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
If it is 30fps then presumably, John will be doing the tech analysis for the game :P
lol
And it will probably be single console exclusive I imagine. Bluepoint has not made that many crossplatform games as of late!

But seriously, next gen I will find it a bit sad if games go for 30 fps when 60 fps is so much better looking.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
lol
And it will probably be single console exclusive I imagine. Bluepoint has not made that many crossplatform games as of late!

But seriously, next gen I will find it a bit sad if games go for 30 fps when 60 fps is so much better looking.
And feeling, especially for a reaction and timing based game.

Blaackstarr

Oct 30, 2017
I'm excited to see just how good they can make DeSouls look. Even tho I would much rather have a LoD remake.

Can anyone explain the unique online mechanics in Demons Souls? I played all the other Souls/Borne games. How is the online different?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I love what they do, I'll be excited for the day they pivot away from remakes. Having said that, their ability to punch above their weight is absurd.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
lol

I dont think Alex should be suprised at that considering that developers always go for what they can get out of CPU cycles beyond just smoother gameplay. Its not like PC where you just power through console ports and such with more powerful hardware. Its not just about visuals as you are well aware. People gonna be complaining games are just like current gen but smoother otherwise

There will be way more 60fps games next gen, i dont think you need to worry about that. but devs pushing the hardware in various ways will still need to make choices based on what they are attempting to do.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't think there's any chance that it's Demon's Souls. I really just can't see them implementing the mechanics correctly, and then there's world tendency and other extremely obscure hidden shit. I just can't see it.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
If it is a Souls game, I hope it's not a remake but a sequel. I would not say no to Bloodborne 2.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
lol

Developers will always push the envelope. That isn't a bad thing.

Feb 23, 2019
1. Sony owns the IP.
2. The series/genre was popularized with Dark Souls that was released simultaneously worldwide as a multiplatform title in 2011. Demon's Souls (released 11 years ago) was the start and it had a staggered release over 18 months. It had to earn its name and establish its genre and not nearly as many players got to play it.
3. Demon's Souls servers went offline years ago. The backbone behind arguably its coolest most unique features.
4. Game is only playable on a PS3 unless you own a modern PC and want to set it up for emulation, rip game/download torrent etc. Demon's Souls is not easily available to most people today.

Here's another factor: It's easier to re-make than other games. A lot of people are throwing out stuff like Legend of Dragoon or Metal Gear Solid, but those games are heavy on cinematics and voice acting, and it's a much more difficult game to pull off trying to modernize those aspects.

stuff like Team ICO or Souls is a lot easier to re-make since it's lighter on the cinematics.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think Bluepoint would prefer being an independent company.
Ted Price said the same about Insomniac for years and years, it really doesn't mean shit. Imagine if Sony offers the right price, the funding to build a full sized 2nd team to work on their own brand new IP + giving them access to Sony's entirely library for what they want to remake, they'd take that in a heartbeat.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
....... Everyone keeps saying Demon Souls remake.... all of this just makes more sense being Demon Souls 2

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Man if this is Demon's Souls they are making me less and less excited for it. Convince me you're going to get the gamefeel right without From involved, not that you'll wow me with raytracing or whatever

Mac Dalton

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think a Motorstorm remake would be a perfect launch titel and could set a new visual benchmark...

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Their next project has been teased for a long time now...so we know it's now likely to be next gen exclusive, are we expecting this as a launch title, hence why we haven't seen anything yet, and potentially something at the PS5 launch event?

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Their next project has been teased for a long time now...so we know it's now likely to be next gen exclusive, are we expecting this as a launch title, hence why we haven't seen anything yet, and potentially something at the PS5 launch event?

I'd say launch would be a fair assessment, given that SotC with the huge upgrade there landed a little more than two years after The Nathan Drake Collection.