• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We gonna do this song and dance again like with Bethesda where for the whole time that the deal is going through they talk about how nothing is changing and then as soon as it closes they put out a video where they confirm that everything is exclusive other than the Elder Scrolls Onlines and the Warzones.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep doing this to themselves. The same narrative occurred with Bethesda.

Bethesda games are exclusive moving forward. And the same will occur with Activision Blizzard. What you'll see is Microsoft is going to keep supporting existing games, just like with Fallout 76, Doom Eternal, etc. But new games will absolutely be exclusive.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
They'll do exactly what they did with Bethesda: any game with an existing service model will stay supported on PS.

All new games will be exclusive. Anyone expecting otherwise is fooling themselves.
Exactly. This is what they said when Bethesda was acquired. Very similar language. It means online only games like Overwatch will remain multiplatform (for Bethesda, Elder Scrolls online remains multiplatform). Otherwise, all titles will be xbox/pc exclusive, INCLUDING Call of Duty. CoD is 100% going to be Xbox exclusive. That is the main title MS paid $68.7 billion for. You are crazy if you think MS will keep that title on Playstation.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on Jeff Grubb comment:
Warzone stays (for now, could change)
New main COD will be exclusive

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Activision has recently restructured their entire non-blizzard development stable to be all COD all the time, and Warzone, to make it work, it is an incentive to buy the latest COD game so you can level up your guns for use in the free Warzone game, I honestly don't see how you can separate the COD proper games from Warzone. And what else is there to even make exclusive outside of Blizzard games which are, at the current day, WOW and Overwatch. There's no console WOW anyways, and Overwatch is dependent on the multiplayer user base. IMO for this deal to make any kind of sense for MS to get more exclusive game pass content they will have to take some studios off of COD.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
"You can have Warzone, we'll keep everything else for ourselves. Don't forget to buy lots of MTX!"

yall setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Warzone to stay and any games with upcoming deals?

So do we know if PS has exclusive dlc timings for CoD still or for how long?

If cod goes exclusive but warzone stays multiplat it would certainly be a big transition for CoD and warzone would become the de facto cod over the yearly releases.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I can't see Warzone becoming exclusive, but I think the Game Pass value plus potentially Call of Duty exclusivity will make it a very tough sell to want to persist playing outside of the Xbox ecosystem (including PC).

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
F2P games and games that get updates (Overwatch) everywhere . Everything else exclusive.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
When it comes to COD and Overwatch, I believe Microsoft will take the Minecraft aproach: let it be multiplatform, massively profit from sales, and foster a healthier playerbase.

For other franchises, though, I expect them to become exclusive, starting with Diablo 4.

The main thing, and something this forum (perhaps due to the majority of it being Sony fans) still fail to realise is that Xbox/Windows PCs big bet AND advantage will be that everything will launch day one on Game Pass.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
We gonna do this song and dance again like with Bethesda where for the whole time that the deal is going through they talk about how nothing is changing and then as soon as it closes they put out a video where they confirm that everything is exclusive other than the Elder Scrolls Onlines and the Warzones.

Followed by a vague quote by Tim Booty that sounds something like:

"Will you pull COD from Playstation?"

"We are committed to bring the best possible value to Xbox. We don't want to take anything away, we just want to give people reasons to enjoy games on Xbox, rather then somewhere else. This is truly our goal."

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
MS will gladly take Wazone battlepass and skin pack money from anyone and everyone, but if they call themselves wanting to play the next big COD on a console they will be investing in a Series S/X.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Same shit wording as Bethesda. Ongoing games and MMOs will stay (like ESO is still on PS).

Don't expect new game releases to hit PlayStation starting in 2023. Maybe we will be surprised and Call of Duty remains multi platform, but don't set any expectations.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I can see the argument of keeping future CoD games multiplat because of multiplayer/crossplay, which isn't an issue with Bethesda games. But I sincerely doubt it.

I can't view it as a positive thing for the industry, but I definitely think it's happening.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
They have to sit on the fence and adhere to all current contracts until the deal is done.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I hope they slow down with the yearly cod titles, we can do with an off year every now and then

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Have to imagine it will be like with Bethesda. Any existing contracts plus I would guess Warzone.

Everything else new exclusive.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely expect Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, etc to be cancelled for PS5, unless there was an deal we don't know about. This isn't like Deathloop and Ghostwire in which deals were already in place. Starfield was announced for all platforms but the PS5 version was canned after the acquisition.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
My guess is. The games that are currently announced will be on PS. Anything after that will be exclusive. They'll still support GAAS games on PS until end of life.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I love it when people who didn't buy the same electronic toybox as me don't get to play with their favourite titles anymore.

Unless it happens to me, in which case it's a striking indictment of greedy companies and they really should offer an olive branch this one time.

Like actually maybe we're all adults here and we can admit it's kinda effed to be excited by the prospect of people not being able to play the games we like and they already liked.
Quote them. I'll wait. I see comments like yours all the time but there is never a quote attached. I call bullshit. I haven't seen anyone be excited for THAT reason. Personally i'm excited because i will end up spending less money. It has an actual upside to me. I couldn't care less if they kept releasing the games on other platforms, and i couldn't care less about an aquisition if it didn't mean games on game pass day one, there would be no benefit to me in that case. People being excited about 'free' games is a legitimate reason to be excited. Not wanting other people to play the games is not, but again, im waiting on those quotes. Cause i doubt there is many.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ah Shit here we go again
Basically, lol.

Honestly....why do ppl think Minecraft is still multi platform.....The day that goes Xbox, PC exclusive is another story.

At the end of the day MS will make business decisions. What that exactly means will be clearer a few years from now.

Like they did for Minecraft, it has to make some financial sense. You lose way too much revenue without multiplatform.
Exactly.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I don't think it's denial to say they might handle it differently than Bethseda. I think they'll handle it on an IP basis. Like I said in the other thread, I think Microsoft will keep some MP things multi-plat for a period so they can leverage Gamepass as something awesome and good for consumers in comparison to PS to entice them over instead of heavy handedly forcing them over by shutting doors as soon as the deal closes. Especially since, IIRC, there are places in the world where XBox isn't really a viable option yet. It would give them time to build up fans in those areas.

Huggie

Oct 22, 2018
This will be the same as with Bethesda you dont spend all that money to then put games on your competitors platform. Vanguard and service games will stay on Playstation but the main line CoD games will be Xbox/PC/Xcloud exclusive.
the only way these end up on Playstation is if Game Pass is allowed on there.
All the wording is the same as with the Bethesda deal. Expect the same!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to imagine Sony would keep marketing COD per the contract if they don't make the games for Playstation

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If 2 games were to remain multi platform under Microsoft it would be Minecraft, and CoD. Hell I could see it being specifically Warzone only.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Warzone will be multiplat. Yearly COD will be exclusive.
This is my guess too. Any games that have big microtransaction or GaaS built into it would be multiplat, but the rest would be XBox/PC. It wouldn't surprise me either if the CoD teams get broken up and maybe moved over to Halo as well.