• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I skipped out on most of the speculative talk about "switch pro" but I'm amazed it got so out that people were expecting such a substantial leap. This will be on par with DS to DSi , 3DS to "NEW" 3DS and it's probably more due to part availability /pricing than anything. The portable model can shave off a bunch of tech to drop 50-100$ off the MSRP while the "NEW" switch or switch + or whatever can just keep the same MSRP and the current model just gets phased out entirely.

There exists a better Tegra Chip and the possibility of throwing a bit more memory in there as well as maybe clocking the CPU a bit higher. The type of thing that might lead to slightly higher resolution both docked and handheld (1080p instead of 900p or 900p instead of 720p). There will probably be a bigger battery in there too.... with no real lifespan improvement due to the slight power bump. On paper I imagine this is little more than a 25-50% bump at most , it should help any games that had the forethought to include dynamic resolution/effects/framerate locks and going forward there will be slightly fewer issues running modern games with as much sacrifice I guess. It's not going to suddenly be as powerful as even a base PS4 though so get that out of your head now or suffer a let down later.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
How will you replace your joycons if Nintendo doesn't improve on them? I know folks with zero issues but joycons can be quite delicate. Mine are fine but I still want an extra pair around.
They wouldn't actually be joycons, obviously, just a system with built-in controls that Nintendo has literally had in all of their past mobile devices before the switch.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
You have to laugh at the people who seriously thought the Switch was getting something akin to the PS4 Pro. Nintendo's pattern through the years always suggested that any upgrade be along the lines of the GBC, DSi and n3DS.

Learn to read the history of the company rather then looking at whatever Sony or Microsoft do and taking that as your reference point. Would greatly help with tempering expectations.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
They wouldn't actually be joycons, obviously, just a system with built-in controls that Nintendo has literally had in all of their past mobile devices before the switch.
Thanks.
I understand that (I own 3 3DS systems) but if the built in controls of the supposed Switch Lite end up being superior to vanilla joycons, I would hope the upgraded Switch comes with cons we swap out with vanilla Switch because I would like to think that would be the new standard of controls.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You have to laugh at the people who seriously thought the Switch was getting something akin to the PS4 Pro. Nintendo's pattern through the years always suggested that any upgrade be along the lines of the GBC, DSi and n3DS.

Learn to read the history of the company rather then looking at whatever Sony or Microsoft do and taking that as your reference point. Would greatly help with tempering expectations.
I mean if a lot more games become native res in handheld mode then it's exactly what I wanted from a Pro.

Not sure what isn't happening with this revision that people were expecting to happen.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Modest Upgrades can still offer substantial assistance in performance depending on where they do their upgrades. Improving Bandwidth and even just improved CPU clocks would do a number for overall performance of games. The Switch having adaptive resolution in its games gives it advantages prior devices like the 3DS to N3DS could not even truly benefit from.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

We have a pretty good guess of the performance from a die shrink because the X2 has existed since 2016, it's 2x clocks at the same power consumption at most, so realistically it's 1.5-2.0x GPU power if you factor in other considerations like improving battery life .

We'll know for sure once it gets announced what the performance is, but it's not insignificant even if its at the lower end like a 50% bump and unlike prior Nintendo handhelds, it would be most likely a GPU bump rather than a CPU bump and there is a ready library of games that will benefit without patches. None of these were available options in the past.

Reports have been very crpytic as to how modest the bump is, because journalists and insiders may consider a GPU only bump with no CPU changes to be modest, or they may consider anything below 100% power increase modest.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.
I understand that (I own 3 3DS systems) but if the built in controls of the supposed Switch Lite end up being superior to vanilla joycons, I would hope the upgraded Switch comes with cons we swap out with vanilla Switch because I would like to think that would be the new standard of controls.
That's an interesting point. I think that would just be the sacrifice you'd have to make by going with the lite model.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever enhanced switch comes out that'll replace the current one will likely launch alongside new joy con. Perhaps using the same railing/same size, but adjusted due to feedback. Better range, better analog sticks, something closer to a D-pad, etc.
They haven't released any new colors in awhile, i think

Would be nice if they launched it next to a new pro controller.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dooope I've been wanting to get a Switch for a while and I think I'll probably be down with a cheaper and more portable model

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Of course it's gonna be a modest update, they don't want to left 35 millions console behind and Switch is just 2 years old, I think this refresh will just be enough powerful to give a more stable frame rate in games and try to fix piracy issues

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I'm shocked despite the raving in the other thread about a new Nintendo. New 3DS was a best case scenario. Modest could still mean a lot though. Hope it won't just be better battery life.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
A slight performance upgrade is cool and all, but what I'd really like to see is a screen that doesn't look so fucking washed out compared to all of my other devices (my Lenovo IPS monitor, iPad Pro 10.5 64GB, Galaxy S10, HP Elite book (work laptop)...

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
A slight performance upgrade is cool and all, but what I'd really like to see is a screen that doesn't look so fucking washed out compared to all of my other devices (my Lenovo IPS monitor, iPad Pro 10.5 64GB, Galaxy S10, HP Elite book (work laptop)...
Nintendo is still relying on Sharp for their screens aren't they? I don't think that's likely to change... mostly because Nintendo isn't going to want to compete with the big tech boys for LG or other top quality displays.

(edit) Actually it's Japan Display Inc, and a new switch model might be a good chance to change if this article from 2017 is anything to go by.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Galaxy S9 and it's fine compared to my phone?

Play a switch gameplay trailer on your phone and also play something similar from the same game on your switch via the Nintendo Store.

I don't see how it's possible for you think that's fine compared to that OLED display

Nintendo is still relying on Sharp for their screens aren't they? I don't think that's likely to change... mostly because Nintendo isn't going to want to compete with the big tech boys for LG or other top quality displays.

I'm almost certain that I've seen better displays from so called budget phones that run $200 - $300. They also weren't at 6 inches+. I'd have to take a look at them again to compare.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I just hope they announce something soon, my wife wants a Switch for Animal Crossing so we're waiting to see what the 'new' ones are.

The 'lite' one might be more suited to her and the 'upgraded' one might be good for me as in I get that one and she takes over our original model. We just gotta know what is what!

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I use my Switch docked more than undocked and a modest upgrade can mean anything. Even Something like double memory bandwidth, ~400Gflops -> ~600Gflops, 1GHz CPU -> 1.5GHz CPU would make the docked experience significantly better.

Even just 2 of the 3 would be a big improvement in game performance.

Some of the speculation about getting close to an Xbox 1 was crazy. But a die shrink should make a CPU boost pretty easily accomplished and even 1.3-1.4GHz from 1.0Ghz would be significant for a lot of games with performance issues.
Yeah just have to wait and see I guess...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

(edit) Actually it's Japan Display Inc, and a new switch model might be a good chance to change if this article from 2017 is anything to go by.

I just found this via searching: https://www.t3.com/news/new-nintend...year-to-fix-one-of-the-consoles-biggest-flaws

I would be perfectly fine with this and 20-25% battery boost

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Play a switch gameplay trailer on your phone and also play something similar from the same game on your switch via the Nintendo Store.

I don't see how it's possible for you think that's fine compared to that OLED display

I'm almost certain that I've seen better displays from so called budget phones that run $200 - $300. They also weren't at 6 inches+. I'd have to take a look at them again to compare.

/shurg, I don't notice it. Typing on my 4K screen which I also use to dock my Switch on.
I have a launch Switch.
I use my Switch docked more than undocked and a modest upgrade can mean anything. Even Something like double memory bandwidth, ~400Gflops -> ~600Gflops, 1GHz CPU -> 1.5GHz CPU would make the docked experience significantly better.

Even just 2 of the 3 would be a big improvement in game performance.

Some of the speculation about getting close to an Xbox 1 was crazy. But a die shrink should make a CPU boost pretty easily accomplished and even 1.3-1.4GHz from 1.0Ghz would be significant for a lot of games with performance issues.

That's true actually since Nintendo's allow for extra performance on portable mode with the last minute addition of an extra performance tier for portable mode before launch but have essentially left docked perf more or less unchanged with no boost option, so the actual docked perf isn't quite the 2.5X from portable originally envisioned. That's one area they should work on.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Given history, would Nintendo announce the updated main Switch alongside the cheap version and just give it a future release date or just announce the cheap version alone so not to slow down sales for those waiting for the updated version?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a recent hype thread that was expecting it to be base XBO tier, 30 to 60 fps jump, quality settings? Good times.

Three wants:
Replace the plastic screen.
Smaller bezels.
Better battery life.

Dec 23, 2017
I'm just going to wait for the announcement at this point. Love the switch! They could sell me on purchasing an upgrade if they do it right.

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
This is what I always expected at this point in Switch's life, so it doesn't surprise me although it was kind of refreshing thinking than on top of regular revision and a mini Nintendo was putting some effort towards a more premium market niche.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it will cone with a stylus so it's ideal for Mario Maker and some drawing app.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I am actually glad they aren't releasing a Pro version , i am quite happy with the current switch performance and I'd rather wait for the next generation with a significant leap in performance and BC with current switch.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I never believed in the upgraded Switch. It's just not all that technically easy at a decent price because it needs to be mobile, and Nintendo has no appetite for pushing performance anyway. all higher performing hardware means to nintendo is lower hardware margins. they obviously dont need it to sell, so why?

lower cost switch though, if true i'm in. been on the fence and close to a switch purchase several times, every time pulled away. at 199 it's very likely a different story.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
But this article clearly states that this Switch revision will be more powerful...

though a more powerful version is not in the works, the people said

Not sure if I'm misreading but it sounds like this thing won't be more powerful.

"Modest upgrade" could be in relation to things like the screen, unit itself etc. Seems they're outright saying it won't be more powerful.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Modest upgrade is better right now, big update should be delayed to keep the gap as close (still pretty big) as possible to next gen. Next Switch should be comfortably above XOne & PS4.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Is these any information or a summary of the changes power-wise from the 3DS to N3DS?

This is the upgrade we got for the N3DS:

New 3DS specs:
- ARM11 MPCore 4x @ 804MHz (one reserved for OS)
- 4x VFPv2 Co-Processor (vector processors)
- 256MB FCRAM
- 10MB VRAM
- Dedicated Hardware Video Decoder
- PICA200 GPU @ 268MHz

For comparison, the old 3DS specs:
- ARM11 MPCore 2x @ 268MHz (one reseved for OS)
- 2x VFPv2 Co-Processor
- 128MB FCRAM
- 6MB VRAM
- PICA200 GPU @ 268MHz

So x2 the core count at quadruple the clock speed. Twice as much ram and about 40% more vram. Plus new dedicated video decoding hardware. Not just a "simple" upgrade.

Unfortunately there weren't a lot of games that took advantage of the higher specs and older games can't use the higher clockspeeds without homebrew. Even then, it depends on the game. Rayman 2 is a real eye-opener.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
We have a pretty good guess of the performance from a die shrink because the X2 has existed since 2016, it's 2x clocks at the same power consumption at most, so realistically it's 1.5-2.0x GPU power if you factor in other considerations like improving battery life .

We'll know for sure once it gets announced what the performance is, but it's not insignificant even if its at the lower end like a 50% bump and unlike prior Nintendo handhelds, it would be most likely a GPU bump rather than a CPU bump and there is a ready library of games that will benefit without patches. None of these were available options in the past.

Reports have been very crpytic as to how modest the bump is, because journalists and insiders may consider a GPU only bump with no CPU changes to be modest, or they may consider anything below 100% power increase modest.
It's not. The Tegra X2 has clocks similar to the Switch (That the Switch attains with a modest overclock) in the "Max-Q" mode, which uses about as much power for the SoC as the Switch does. It has a mode with higher clocks, but that also has way higher power usage compared to the Switch.

People need to get this clear, the Tegra X2 is not an upgrade to the current Switch, you just need to look at them.

As for the article, great, we know the "lite" model is coming out in June. Regarding the "enhanced" model, generalistic/business journals aren't known for speaking with any kind of consistency or technical knowledge, so God knows what they mean.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
e Switch (That the Switch attains with a modest overclock) in the "Max-Q" mode, which uses about as much power for the SoC as the Switch does. It has a mode with higher clocks, but that also has way higher power usage compared to the Switch.

People need to get this clear, the Tegra X2 is not an upgrade to the current Switch, you just need to look at them.

As for the article, great, we know the "lite" model is coming out in June. Regarding the "enhanced" model, generalistic/business journals aren't known for speaking with any kind of consistency or technical knowledge, so God knows what they mean.

That makes no sense. nvidia themselves have stated X2 is twice as power efficient as X1. You can't have a chip on a smaller node produce the same performance.

If it were to run on exactly the same clocks, sure. But most of Pascal's performance gains has been running at higher clocks than its Maxwell counterparts. I merely posited even if it's not using an X2. A die shrunk X1 should be able to run at higher clocks for the Pro version to achieve the required performance boost while running at OG clocks for Mini and remove the need for a fan entirely.

This is settled discussion and non controversial since before Switch was revealed. I'm puzzled why you think an X2 or a smaller process node X1 would only give the same performance. For the Mini version perhaps because it will allow the system to run cool at stock clocks, but not for the enhanced version, that's where the performance gain will come from. Higher clocks.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Too much talk about hw revisions and stuff but dem games tho. Hope they announce a ton of them at E3 because currently I don't have anything to look forward on Switch other than Link's Awakening remake. Mario Maker 2 also on my radar but more games to look forward would be nice...

emperor_ing

Jan 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't think the article reveals anything new, more of just what we've been hearing over the past few months. There's a cheaper model in the works, which makes business sense with them needing to have a product in the slot the 3DS currently occupies (especially with Pokemon coming out towards the back of the year); and a revision of the current Switch model is planned, although people wanting significant power upgrades may well be disappointed.