• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Can they just simply buy them out though(Certain Affinity)? I would assume there would need to be a negotiation between the two? I am seeing that Leyou may have the option to buy them out for 150 million by the end of the year, but if another publisher were to buy them out, does that affect the contract?
I'd imagine that if another company shows interest in them that Leyou has the first option to acquire them, I can't imagine them possibly leaving such a hole in the contract, would simply be amateurish.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I just have veeery low expectations from mega corp doing acquisitions, especially when it comes to platform holders getting companies who have multi-plat titles.

Is there much precedent for that though? Realistically, the only example I can think of is Microsoft and Minecraft and they've handled that extremely well. It's in their best interest after all. The value of a huge IP acquisition is squandered if you don't follow the guiding principles that got it their in the first place. Microsoft understood that, and I'm sure Sony would too.

I get the concern completely though.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Right.

How does closing a studio negate that? lol.

At the end of the day, businesses make business decisions.
The closing of studios comes after many years of working with said studios and trying to work things out. I doubt they're going to acquire a studio and then shut it down within 1-2 years because they happen to have closed a few studios in their history.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Huh, that's a really smart pick-up from Sony if this goes through. Digital Extremes alone is a company with a ton of potential, and I think the other ones involved also have a lot of room to grow as well.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Their primary and biggest market is on PC, leaving that plus other platforms they're on is a sure fire way to piss off the whole fanbase.

I don't think that's gonna happen though I'm pretty confident about that.
Really doubt they exclude PC, maybe xbox but right now that user base is the smallest.

Kira

Oct 28, 2017
I would prefer sony to use that amount of money to buy Bluepoint, level 5, housemarque and or even capcom =)

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Interesting.

I would take other studios but seems like a good opportunity.
This, plus Housemarque, could do wonders

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Is it normal for Sony proper instead of SIE to be the ones initiating the acquisition? I'm not sure how this works.

I hardly consider "Pay for convenience" F2P done right but that's just me.
If you read the article it says the CEO of Sony himself is pushing for this. Typically you need board approval on an acquisition this size (over 1 billion) and no way is Sony going to leave that decision up to Jim Ryan, and Microsoft wouldn't leave it up to Phil Spencer either when it comes to spending a billion dollars. If the CEO approves they take it to the board for approval that's how the corporate world works.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I would prefer sony to use that amount of money to buy Bluepoint, level 5, housemarque and or even capcom =)

This is way more lucrative.I mean look at how well Majong worked out for Microsoft. They made their money back within like 2 years. Right now Minecraft dungeons it lighting the game charts on fire for downloads and playtime.

This is close to the equivelent of that but with way more included than one studio/IP. They will have Digital Extremes, possibly Splash Damage, and a really good backend for online gaming that could improve the types of games either Sony invests in, or just make money on what is already there.

Hell some of it can go to mobile where grand/fate game is still making them millions. Imagine one of the developers in that organization makes a mobile/cross-platform game?

Could be huge for sony. And if the evaluation is around 1.1 Billion thats way cheaper than what Microsoft paid for Majong. ANd comes with alot more than one IP.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they go the Microsoft route and keep some of the studios games multi platform like Minecraft? At least for the Warframe studio.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Also locations of those studios are important.

Splash Damage is located in London. European studio.
Digital Extremes is in Canada. Sony don't have presence there.
Certain Affinity is in Austin, Texas (just like Bluepoint Games). So Sony might want to set a foot there.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like it's worth a billy. Rather they make new studios with multiplayer talent if they want to improve their online offerings.

Factions 2 alone will have more console players than Warframe.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I feel like that if SNK is apart of the deal and they spin SNK into Playstation Studios too, I feel like 1.2B is... A very good price.
its a lot of IP, and even part of gaming history.

Obviously Warframe isn't at all on the same level as Minecraft, but I see this being Sony's minecraft. Huge F2P game with loads of microtransactions. Give them freedom and a higher budget, isn't the game like superhuge in asia too?
You could have a FPS SOCOM, Killzon studio or something alike with this too. I don't know. If SNK is in Playstation Studios potentially has a fighting game studio, a strategy game studio and a FPS studio... They basically need a JRPG and they have almost everything. Honestly, I think this could be a great move.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah, Capcom would be over $5bil.
Yeah, Capcom IMO is the only publisher that rivals Nintendo in gameplay. if they ever got acquired, I would rather they just merge with another publisher not a console maker. I would love to see DMC/RE with a larger budget, but this is a price-less group of IP IMO. If they were acquired in the content wars that seem to be taking place though, I think MS would be in best position because they could really boost the entire dev community up with a big purchase.

Back on topic, this deal is more in line with what I think Sony should be doing, acquiring studios with potential, and building them up to AAA standards. Keep warframe MP, and just give it more budget. The players, nothing really changes. Also, SNK games would be heaven-sent to get a proper budget. I'm not sure FGC would even care if Sony made it exclusive if they actually had a proper budget and competed with SF/Tekken/MK series.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Seems that they'd want to make an SOE division again.

pretty much what I was thinking

Doesn't seem like it's worth a billy. Rather they make new studios with multiplayer talent if they want to improve their online offerings.

Factions 2 alone will have more console players than Warframe.

Building studios from the ground up takes forever and can also be extremely expensive. Why do you think we've not seen anything from The Initiative or Sony's new San Diego studio yet?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'm out of the loop, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't DE not doing too well financially around the time they were picked up by Leyou?

I doubt Sony would pull them very close into the SIE ecosystem, and would probably leave them operating mostly independently for a while, but it would be interesting to see how they'd operate as an actual SIE studio proper. They'd almost definitely keep making versions of Warframe for all platforms it's currently on, but I also think Sony would want to find a way to beef up their studio and inquire about them working on a new game beyond just WF.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Splash Damage is 100% getting pulled into SIE if this goes through. DE, i could also see happening.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The closing of studios comes after many years of working with said studios and trying to work things out. I doubt they're going to acquire a studio and then shut it down within 1-2 years because they happen to have closed a few studios in their history.

Exactly.
This is way more lucrative.I mean look at how well Majong worked out for Microsoft. They made their money back within like 2 years. Right now Minecraft dungeons it lighting the game charts on fire for downloads and playtime.

This is close to the equivelent of that but with way more included than one studio/IP. They will have Digital Extremes, possibly Splash Damage, and a really good backend for online gaming that could improve the types of games either Sony invests in, or just make money on what is already there.

Hell some of it can go to mobile where grand/fate game is still making them millions. Imagine one of the developers in that organization makes a mobile/cross-platform game?

Could be huge for sony. And if the evaluation is around 1.1 Billion thats way cheaper than what Microsoft paid for Majong. ANd comes with alot more than one IP.

All this tells me if it doesn't happen, Sony will still be looking. The first thing I thought of was....damn thats alot of money. They way some tell it they can't afford to even make a console.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Yeah if anything, this shows that Sony is starting to be a bit more aggressive with possible acquisitions than their usual checklist (must be a longstanding partner, must hace provided a AAA IP for Playstation, etc.) permits them

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Exactly.

All this tells me if it doesn't happen, Sony will still be looking. The first thing I thought of was....damn thats alot of money. They way some tell it they can't afford to even make a console.

I think you will see and hear more about collabs and possible purchases of studios out of China markets from Sony going forward. Obviously once things start to cool down over there in Asia.

I know Sony took heavy interest in a bunch of really good looking studios over in Asian markets. So this possible purchase kind of solidify's that interest still a big focus for Sony going forward.

It's good to see them be aggressive with trying to expand content creation on a larger global scale.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the Fate Mobile games, are Sony the licence holder for the IP? It would be a huge seller in certain regions if there was a larger third person game made with Fate characters. I do wonder why Sony hasn't really pushed that for consoles.

Would be interesting to see if this all happens, but I'll wait until Sony make an official announcement, and that's if they indeed decide to go ahead. Hopefully PS5 will benefit from this new talent.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Speaking of the Fate Mobile games, are Sony the licence holder for the IP? It would be a huge seller in certain regions if there was a larger third person game made with Fate characters. I do wonder why Sony hasn't really pushed that for consoles.

Would be interesting to see if this all happens, but I'll wait until Sony make an official announcement, and that's if they indeed decide to go ahead. Hopefully PS5 will benefit from this new talent.

Grand and fate I believe is owned by Sony Music? So yes that game prints money for them. Buying Leyou would solidify them being able to possibly make even more money on similar ventures with other games, or licenses that are associated with Leyou.

It's smart.

How long could take all this process?

Depending on a valuation of all assets/licenses/studios ect could be weeks or months. A purchase as big as this take a long time, case in point Fox being bought took over half a year to complete.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on a valuation of all assets/licenses/studios ect could be weeks or months. A purchase as big as this take a long time, case in point Fox being bought took over half a year to complete.

Fox was a way, way bigger acquisition than this.

There were also monopoly etc. concerns that needed ironing out iirc.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I don't trust Sony's track record of multiplayer games.

They'd shut down the online servers for a hypothetical Warframe 2 within like, 3 years or something.

Oct 30, 2017
www.bnnbloomberg.ca

Sony weighs bid for Hong Kong-listed gaming firm Leyou - BNN Bloomberg

Sony Corp. is weighing a bid for Leyou Technologies Holdings Ltd., people familiar with the matter said, paving the way for an intensified bidding war for the Hong Kong-listed gaming firm.

The main article mentions two other bidders, one being iDreamSky https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...gh-bid-for-hong-kong-listed-gaming-firm-leyou

I think it's likely Sony wins this deal if the seller is looking to close by the end of the month.