• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Cmon. Sony has their own history of dud interfering. And I imagine msft is a bit more hands off these days.
I'm pretty sure that this gen Sony didn't do shit to their own studios and most importantly as Shinobi said yesterday, they don't mandate nothing to their first party studios on what games to. Make.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned: Platform Warring, trolling
This thread has an extremely high Wall of Shame potential, comparing and contrasting responses of posters between this thread and the various Microsoft acquisition rumours.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
mobile game publisher in different markets maybe?
I'm taking a guess (as I don't know how these things work), but it makes sense to just move the employees over to SIE with them acting as the publisher.
Makes sense, let's see what's going to happen, it would be an interesting purchase, since what is missing in SIE today are MP games.

I'm pretty sure that this gen Sony didn't do shit to their own studios and most importantly as Shinobi said yesterday, they don't mandate nothing to their first party studios on what games to. Make.
Please do not derail the thread with this subject. In 10 minutes there will be a discussion of which publisher influences the developers the most.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
mobile game publisher in different markets maybe?
Nah. Athlon publishes worldwide AAA console/PC multiplayer games.

Athlon Games is a global developer and publisher of free-to-play console and PC games. Our headquarters are in Los Angeles, with offices in London and Beijing. Our goal is to create AAA cooperative console and PC experiences that gamers will want to play for many years.

Oct 27, 2017
Profiles of Leyou subsidiaries, for fun :

Digital Extremes

Digital Extremes (DE) is a game development studio founded in 1993 and headquartered in London, Ontario, Canada. DE has developed or co-developed a number of AAA game masterpieces, such as the Unreal series (Epic Games published), the BioShock series (2K Games published), and the Darkness II (2K Games published).

DE has branches in California, in addition to the London headquarters, which covers all major departments of game development and distribution. Core game development team members have more than 15 years of average experience.

---

Splash Damage

Splash Damage (hereinafter referred to as SD) is a 3A video game development company founded in 2001 by founder Paul Wedgwood and headquartered in London, England.

SD is particularly good at the development of shooting multiplayer games, as well as in the development of related action and strategy games. In the company's 16-year history, SD has developed/co-developed a variety of shooting AAA masterpieces including " Return to Castle Wolfenstein", "Doom" and "Gears of War".

---

Athlon Games

Athlon Games is located in Burbank, Los Angeles, USA. Mainly responsible for the overseas PR publishment of all products of Leyou Technology Holdings Co., Ltd. (Leyou Group), branding marketing and continuously cooperating with major overseas media and game development companies. Dave Miller, former vice president of Warner Bros games, is responsible for the company's business.

---

Kingmaker

Kingmaker (Beijing) Technology Co., Ltd. is headquartered in Beijing, China. The company's core staffs have served in Perfect World, Elex, Sohu Changyou, KongZhong, and other game companies, specializing in F2P game design and publishing, produced and published a number of successful products such as "Tian Long Ba Bu" and "Neverwinter Nights OL". The company is positioned in the global game market and is designed to produce AAA-level multiplayer online games, covering the PC and console game market.

---

Radiance Games

Guangzhou Radiance Software Technology Co., Ltd. was established in 2016, headquartered in Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, mainly specializing in online game development for PC, console, mobile platform. The company's current work-Civilization Online, which is exclusively licensed by Take Two International GmbH. The company's core developers have worked for NetEase, Tencent, Perfect World and other prestigeous companies, and their average experience has been more than ten years. They are the first batch of personnel engaged in online game development in China.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
maybe a couple of the subsidiaries like Splash Damage and Certain Affinity (if they choose to fully buy them) could be folded into SIE since they are studios more used to traditional pc and console development, but I imagine most of the Leyou business would remain as is, if not all really

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Oh like what do you mean? As in perhaps interfere with their games or something? I suppose that's possible
Yeah, exactly. I suppose Sony would at least let them continue doing their thing with their games, no clue about the others.
Question then becomes: have them develop with relative (creative) freedom (but potentially exclusively for one platform), or rather have them definitely staying multiplat, but potentially with less development freedom?

But as I said, I don't know shit about the other corporations bidding, so that's me completely speculating here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
not really, its something they've been planning internally since late last year I believe
I meant from our perspective. Was just something they decided to change without really any obvious signs or need right? I just tied it up to them wanting more obvious branding than "WWS" or "SIE Presents" but making SIE less just PlayStation and Sony's entire gaming branch (so PlayStation, PC and Mobile) kinda makes a lot of sense, especially if they seal this.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Wikipedia on them is interesting.

In October 2014, the chicken meat supplier Sumpo Food Holdings announced their intent to acquire a majority stake in Canadian games company Digital Extremes. Digital Extremes is the developer and publisher of titles such as Dark Sector and Warframe.

In 2015, the company renamed itself to Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited. The company at that time had two core businesses, Agriculture and Poultry and Gaming.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sure hope they stick to being multi platform and are joining Sony as a separate company. Its going to suck if they become exclusive.
Given we're talking a circa $1.2b acquisition here, they're not going to devalue that instantly by making everything they do exclusive to PS5 or whatever. This is about a bigger picture, the future of SIE as a service rather than device centric organisation. We're already seeing hints at that with their PC ports and partnership with Azure.
Well, Nokia used to be a toilet paper manufacturer. (Maybe they'll have to return to that soon.)

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Actually, judging by Leyou's portfolio it appears that it makes great sense for Sony if they really want to diversify and get into multiplayer/service gaming.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Haven't They closed down a couple in recent years?
They did, still we know for a fact that they don't mandate or impose nothing to their studios. Shinobi reiterated it on another thread yesterday I think, they don't micromanage anything opposed to what other big publishers do.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
uhh didn't certain affinity developed part of halo's multiplayer since halo 2 and was made from ex-bungie employees?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They did, still we know for a fact that they don't mandate or impose nothing to their studios. Shinobi reiterated it on another thread yesterday I think, they don't micromanage anything opposed to what other big publishers do.
Right.

How does closing a studio negate that? lol.

At the end of the day, businesses make business decisions.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Given we're talking a circa $1.2b acquisition here, they're not going to devalue that instantly by making everything they do exclusive to PS5 or whatever. This is about a bigger picture, the future of SIE as a service rather than device centric organisation. We're already seeing hints at that with their PC ports and partnership with Azure.

Well, Nokia used to be a toilet paper manufacturer. (Maybe they'll have to return to that soon.)
Yep, what I'm expecting is Warframe to continue operating as normal, Splash Damage and Certain Affinity to be folded into Playstation studios probably.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Warframe by itself is just a small part of the value of this deal. Leyou owns multiple studios with multiple teams, along with the rights to multiple IP, and several stakes in other companies including a huge one with SNK.

37Games owns SNK, these guys just help with publishing outside Japan as Athlon Games.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
One of the other companies bidding for Leyou is Century Huatong, which is a company that originally made car parts. Mostly these are reverse listings, were private capital is used to buy a listed company, I guess to avoid the complicated legal procedures of listing a company.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From the info I remember going around the the time of the acquisition of SNK, apparently there are some issues when trying to set up shop to operate from HK by a foreign entity.

So they bought that chicken or whatever company just to get a foothold in the region and built up from there.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
This would be good, as Sony doesn't really have a studio with an online shooter capability.

Well, Guerilla Games used to release Killzone games for like 9 years and then came Horizon, which I'm pretty happy about.

I liked the Killzone franchise, too, but it was really refreshing to see them do something else and it paid off for them.

Oof at Era' hypocrisy. MS acquisitions are cheered on loudly everywhere where as doom and gloom for Sony.
Anyway this is an interesting bid and would certainly be very interesting to see how it all plays out in the end.

These hypocrites exist in every thread, because the "It's only good when they do it" narrative is a typical console/platform warrior behavior.

There's also a lot of people who don't like these acquisitions at all, no matter who is doing them, and I'm one of those people. It simply sucks seeing companies and thus games going from 3rd to 1st party.

uhh didn't certain affinity developed part of halo's multiplayer since halo 2 and was made from ex-bungie employees?

Yup. They worked on DLC for Halo 2, Halo: Reach, Halo:CEA and Halo 4. They were also responsible for Halo 2 Anniversary MP in the MCC.

Despite all this, they actually have a pretty varied portfolio.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I will only jump back into Warframe if they get a new art direction.

the game is just so...ugh to look at for a prolonged period of time.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
[/QUOTE]
From the info I remember going around the the time of the acquisition of SNK, apparently there are some issues when trying to set up shop to operate from HK by a foreign entity.

So they bought that chicken or whatever company just to get a foothold in the region and built up from there.

Interesting... Now that you say that, it makes sense with it being HK.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
In the sense that the content goes behind the PlayStation walled garden and all other ecosystems are locked off. Warframe community would be severed in two just like destiny communities were with the exclusive content deals that ran multiple years
Yeah I never can think of a Sony acquisition as a good thing because of this

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Is Sony trying to force Microsoft to make offers for Certain Affinity and Splash Damage?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Guerilla Games used to release Killzone games for like 9 years and then came Horizon, which I'm pretty happy about.
Guerrilla for me is like Naughty Dog or Santa Monica. Sure, they could make a great game with a great multiplayer. But their bread and butter has become storybased singleplayer, and it shows in the people playing their games. There is nothing like Zipper anymore, where the first focus was multiplayer. Compared to Microsoft, where I think Halo and Gears, even though they also have singleplayer components.
(I know these studio's all have done both offline and online, but the primary focus over the last couple of games shows a trend and something missing in SOny's arsenal)

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
37Games owns SNK, these guys just help with publishing outside Japan as Athlon Games.

Isn't SNK owned by a subsidiary of Leyou?

In March 2015, Leyou Technologies Holdings submitted a disclosure of interest document to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, highlighting a "possible investment in a renowned Japanese video game developer".[27] Later in August, it was announced that Chinese web and mobile game giant 37Games, and asset management firm Orient Securities had formed a joint venture to invest in Ledo Millennium, a subsidiary of Leyou. Through Ledo, the venture acquired Kawasaki's 81.25% stake in SNK Playmore for $63.5 million.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Details on the SNK ownership situation are light and practically non-existent. Not that I don't believe you, but do you have sources that state the Leyou deal is only for publishing rights outside Japan? Because I've seen multiple articles stating that Leyou essentially just bought a large stake of SNK flat out.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said that Digital Extremes would be a good acquisition target years back, and lol.

Edit: lemme be smug for a sec.

tjnxFRL.png

Good call.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Regarding Certain Affinity. It seems when Leyou bought a 20% stake in the company for $10 million back in 2017 they also got the option to buy the company at the end of this year for less than $150 million:

Screenshot_2020-07-02_at_13.03.50.png

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
It probably is tho. Everytime there's a rumor on big acquisition stocks always go up. I still remember Disney stock when the Fox acquisition was still a rumor.

A stock will go up if you consolidate a market (as was the case with Disney) since you are removing competition and price is deemed OK. However in general whenever you buy another company you pay a premium to the market price, unless there are real hard money synergies that compensate for this then the value of the acquirer goes down.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
So they own 20% of Certain Affinity. If Somebody buys them, what does that mean for Certain Affinity? I assume they would still be multiplatform, but im not sure. Anybody know?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So they own 20% of Certain Affinity. If Somebody buys them, what does that mean for Certain Affinity? I assume they would still be multiplatform, but im not sure. Anybody know?
They'd probably continue whatever contract work they having going on currently simply because they'd be obliged to, but if that acquisition option Leyou has is still valid if Leyou itself is acquired Sony could just to buy Certain Affinity as well. It's real up to if Sony could do it and if if they can also want to do it.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
They'd probably continue whatever contract work they having going on currently simply because they'd be obliged to, but if that acquisition option Leyou has is still valid if Leyou itself is acquired Sony could just to buy Certain Affinity as well. It's real up to if Sony could do it and if if they can also want to do it.
Can they just simply buy them out though(Certain Affinity)? I would assume there would need to be a negotiation between the two? I am seeing that Leyou may have the option to buy them out for 150 million by the end of the year, but if another publisher were to buy them out, does that affect the contract?