• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Also this kind of acquisition plus the situation with WB games rumoured are exactly the things that will start a bidding war off.
Amazon, google, apple, tencent, MS, Sony are all going to want a piece.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
It's be weird to just sell to Sony like that, especially with all the stuff they've done with MS that I imagine they still have commitments to.

Raven Prime

Oct 31, 2017
To think we are talking about the company that showed off one of the very earliest 7th gen (PS3/360) games in 2005, Dark Sector. This was totally unlike the Dark Sector game that came out in 2008. The original concept and assets of Dark Sector eventually became Warframe for PS4. I guess that might be an over-simplification of the process, but that's the gist of it as I remember.

That 2005 trailer had me so excited for the upcoming gen. Eventually I ended up playing quite some Warframe during the PS4 launch period, so in a sense I eventually got what I wanted, just a bit late..

Curious to what this potential deal would bring.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This is interesting. So Leyou also owns Athlon Games, who are the worldwide publisher of Samurai Showdown. They also seem to be a shareholder in the company that owns assets for Telltale:

In August 2019, Athlon Games became shareholder and publishing partner of LCG Entertainment, which acquired the assets of defunct studio Telltale Games

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Also this kind of acquisition plus the situation with WB games rumoured are exactly the things that will start a bidding war off.
Amazon, google, apple, tencent, MS, Sony are all going to want a piece.
Honestly a reason why these two should look into selling off studio by studio. MS would benefit greatly from Netherrealm and Monolith from WB and Splash Damage from this. Sony would make a fantastic home for Rocksteady and could really benefit from a multiplat franchise like Warframe (just look at how much MS makes off of Minecraft alone). Etc.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That seems insane. Leyou apparently consists of developers like Certain Affinity and Splash Damage, both of which extensively have work on Halo and Gears respectively, which of course are Microsoft IPs. Recent work too.
There Playstation would solve it's exclusive FPS problem by having a couple studios who specialize in that

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's be weird to just sell to Sony like that, especially with all the stuff they've done with MS that I imagine they still have commitments to.
They'd still be committed most likely. Like (though smaller scale) how Insomniac still made an exclusive game for Occulus or the many games that the new Xbox studios have releasing on other platforms.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warframe was really helped by Sony tho with the Ps4 push + Plus packs etc

Their primary and biggest market is on PC, leaving that plus other platforms they're on is a sure fire way to piss off the whole fanbase.

I don't think that's gonna happen though I'm pretty confident about that.

OP
OP
gofreak

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Not necessarily, as others have said Sony don't always = SIE. There's also zero chance they'd pull Warframe off other platforms or go and start restructuring how a company like Digital Extreme works on their game, would hurt no one but themselves.

SIE doesn't even mean Playstation-only, especially in this context. No doubt if this was under SIE, Warframe etc would remain cross platform. SIE has been looking into getting into these areas (online/multiplayer/f2p) more. I've no doubt these kinds of projects that lean in on very high volume economics would continue to be pointedly crossplatform. SIE's own modest attempts (Helldivers, Predator etc.) were already at least PS/PC crossplatform.

I'm starting to think that the rebranding of 'SIE WWS' to 'Playstation Studios' is making room under the SIE umbrella for different sub-brands. In a scenario like this where Leyou was absorbed, maybe not all the studios would use the label 'Playstation Studios' and would retain independent branding, to make it a bit clearer when stuff is PS-first or PS-only, and when it's part of broader publishing goals.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played so much Warframe in early PS4 days. My friends all joked about how boring the game looked and the time I put into it. After I put 2600 hours in and bored of constantly catching up with content I left.

A year later literally all my friends started playing it on PC all apologizing to me about how great the game was.

I had my fill of Warframe, but this is a good investment for Sony. Whatever happens I hope Digital Extreme goes unchanged.

Nov 21, 2017
I got a feeling if Sony does win the bid they will be a separate division from SIE similar to how Sony's music and film divisions create games separately from SIE. Though I'm sure they could still partner with SIE on certain things similar to how SIE partnered with Sony music while working Death Stranding. Overall with them being online focused games I'm sure Sony would keep the business as Multiplatform to maximize profits.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Their primary and biggest market is on PC, leaving that plus other platforms they're on is a sure fire way to piss off the whole fanbase.

Wait why are you saying it must leave PC?
Sony San Diego Studio will bring MLB to Xbox and PC starting in 2021.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
SIE doesn't even mean Playstation-only, especially in this context. No doubt if this was under SIE, Warframe etc would remain cross platform. SIE has been looking into getting into these areas (online/multiplayer/f2p) more. I've no doubt these kinds of projects that lean in on very high volume economics would continue to be pointedly crossplatform.

I'm starting to think that the rebranding of 'SIE WWS' to 'Playstation Studios' is making room under the SIE umbrella for different sub-brands. In a scenario like this where Leyou was absorbed, maybe not all the studios would use the label 'Playstation Studios' and would retain independent branding, to make it a bit clearer when stuff is PS-first or PS-only, and when it's part of broader publishing goals.
That a really good point. The rebranding was a bit out of no where too right?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They used to have a PC publisher, with Everquest and Planetside, and there also starting to publish some exclusives to PC like Horizon Zero Dawn.

I don't see them ever walling warframe, you can't go back from where it is now, that would piss off all the fans and lose Sony money.
Agree.

This is the same company that....still....doesn't have F2P behind the paywall.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

If anything Sony is investing more in multiplatform now than at any other time in their history with Horizon and MLB both going multiplatform.

COCONUT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Don't get why Valve isn't trying (at least what we know) to get Digital Extreme, Warframe is one of the most played games in PC for years, and having them in house would be a win win for both.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I thought you were making a case of it being full exclusive, if not then carry on.
Ohhh nono I was talking about the fact that it being Playstation Studios doesn't mean it can't be multiplatform. For multiplayer titles Sony is adopting this strategy, as seen with MLB. They won't pull Warframe from PC.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
How will this work once Hong Kong is swallowed by China? Foreign companies aren't allowed to operate there right?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
They own the following studios:
  • Digital Extremes (310 employees - Warframe)
  • Splash Damage (300 employees - Recently developed Gears Tactics)
  • Certain Affinity (200 employees - own a 20% stake with option to buy after 2020)
  • Athlon Games
  • Kingmaker
  • Radiance Games

I am surprised how many employees Splash Damage and Certain Affinity have. I always thought they are smaller studios.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy if it goes through. It also makes a lot of sense when you consider Sony's statements about online gaming and multiplayer.

Oct 26, 2017
Right, that's usually how I see this as well. Seems like this case is different, though.
Oh but, ideally, you'd still want a 3rd party publisher to purchase them than a platform holder, even with them selling. Like I wouldn't want Nintendo or Microsoft getting them either, even though the latter is the most likely to leave it as a multiplatform title

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Don't get why Valve isn't trying (at least what we know) to get Digital Extreme, Warframe is one of the most played games in PC for years, and having them in house would be a win win for both.
Did Valve ever bought a big studio outside of Seattle? I know that Campo Santo were from California, but there were like 15 people working at the time of acquisition.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Oh but, ideally, you'd still want a 3rd party publisher to purchase them than a platform holder, even with them selling. Like I wouldn't want Nintendo or Microsoft getting them either, even though the latter is the most likely to leave it as a multiplatform title
Definitely agree here. I wonder whether the other two companies bidding would let them continue their game development in this form, though.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
This would be good, as Sony doesn't really have a studio with an online shooter capability.

Nov 21, 2017
Not surprising Sony as a company is looking to invest more into gaming considering how successful the PlayStation division and Sony Music have done with their mobile titles like the Fate series have been extremely successful for Sony corp these past few years. Even if they fail with this acquisition they definitely will be looking to expand their foothold in gaming. I wouldn't be shocked if they even create a PC storefront by the end of this decade.

OP
OP
gofreak

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Don't they own SNK too? or was that a different company

Oh, actually, I was wrong in my prior reply I think.

Ledo Millennium has a 81.25% stake in SNK. Ledo is an investment subsidiary of Leyou. The stake was bought through an investment in Ledo from another venture involving 37Games.

It's a bit convoluted... I'm not sure how these ownerships would shake out if Leyou was acquired (will all subsidiaries be acquired? would some be divested? how does 37games fit in if Ledo is acquired?).

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
User warned: Platform warring
Oof at Era' hypocrisy. MS acquisitions are cheered on loudly everywhere where as doom and gloom for Sony.
Anyway this is an interesting bid and would certainly be very interesting to see how it all plays out in the end.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise Digital Extremes co-developed most of the original Unreal series with Epic Games. That's quite the history.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they own SNK too? or was that a different company

Yeah I was gonna say.

In March 2015, Leyou Technologies Holdings submitted a disclosure of interest document to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, highlighting a "possible investment in a renowned Japanese video game developer".[27] Later in August, it was announced that Chinese web and mobile game giant 37Games, and asset management firm Orient Securities had formed a joint venture to invest in Ledo Millennium, a subsidiary of Leyou. Through Ledo, the venture acquired Kawasaki's 81.25% stake in SNK Playmore for $63.5 million. The reason given for the acquisition was to gain rights to SNK Playmore's intellectual property, and further develop them by following Marvel Entertainment's approach to mass media.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I might be one of the oldest Digital Extremes fanboys, I've loved their work since they ported Unreal Tournament to the PS2 lol

Mar 11, 2019
They own the following studios:
  • Digital Extremes (310 employees - Warframe)
  • Splash Damage (300 employees - Recently developed Gears Tactics)
  • Certain Affinity (200 employees - own a 20% stake with option to buy after 2020)
  • Athlon Games
  • Kingmaker
  • Radiance Games
That is a very big company, for so many employees I am hardly familiar with most their games. I don't think that is a good thing.

But I can very much see that it would add a tremendous amount to Sony to leverage against gamepass, for example to have a more steady stream of non AAA games into psNow when these services proof to be successful.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
All I want is a new Unreal game/Unreal remake made by Digital Extremes using UE5.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Splash Damage went from practically being an outsourcing studio for Microsoft to developing a new game for Google Stadia and are now rumored to be bought out by Sony? Wow.

Leyou is a bit of a weird company as it was originally supposed to be a vehicle for Perfect World to buy Digital Extremes. It seems like there were some legislative issues causing Leyou to remain independent. The reason why they are now on the market is because a single person (some Chinese infrastructure mogul) actually owns a majority stake in the company and he is looking to sell.

If they sell out to Sony I can see them mostly continuing business as usual with Leyou continuing to develop Civilization Online, Transformers Online and the Lord of the Rings MMO (together with Amazon), while integrating Digital Extremes and perhaps selling off Splash Damage.

Oh, actually, I was wrong in my prior reply I think.

Ledo Millennium has a 81.25% stake in SNK. Ledo is a subsidiary of Leyou. The stake was bought through an investment in Ledo from another venture.

It's a bit convoluted... I'm not sure how these ownerships would shake out if Leyou was acquired (will all subsidiaries be acquired? would some be divested?), but I think maybe Leyou effectively owns a majority of SNK afterall.
SNK is now listed on the Korean stock exchange so I think Leyou divested. It was a really weird takeover anyway, with SNK appearing as a subsidiary of Leyou until last year, but Leyou never talking about them. They weren't mentioned as a subsidiary in this year's annual report.

Has Athlon developed any games before? I researched and found only about the LoTR game that was announced recently.
They are a more like a small publisher, not really a studio. For now I think they only published Samurai Shodown internationally and are publishing the games from Telltale Games since LCG Entertainment revived that company.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring; Prior Warning for the Same
Oof at Era' hypocrisy. MS acquisitions are cheered on loudly everywhere where as doom and gloom for Sony.
Anyway this is an interesting bid and would certainly be very interesting to see how it all plays out in the end.
Funny, especially since we know Sony gives total creative freedom to their devs contrary to MS.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Has Athlon developed any games before? I researched and found only about the LoTR game that was announced recently.
Athlon is a game publisher:
Athlon Games is located in Burbank, Los Angeles, USA. Mainly responsible for the overseas PR publishment of all products of Leyou Technology Holdings Co., Ltd. (Leyou Group), branding marketing and continuously cooperating with major overseas media and game development companies. Dave Miller, former vice president of Warner Bros games, is responsible for the company's business.