• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Sony produced insane amounts of PS2 Slim units and even revised the models after PS3 and nobody gave any fucks at all because that shit is normal.

This shit is not normal:

h3bCQzI.png

So yeah boost the fuck out of that PS4 production.
I sold my PS4 Pro for close to what I payed for it when I bought it years ago. That was crazy.

Shows how different people can be. I would never buy a PS4 when PS5 exists.

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has absolutely butchered this generation. The Series S is on shelves now and it'll probably be the only next-gen console on shelves even in 2023. Meanwhile Sony is still trying to sell separate versions of their first party games. A game upgrade is $10 to Sony. Why would you leave customers out in the cold like that when the competition is offering Game Pass and free-to-play Halo multiplayer. Why would you continuously stiff your early adopters?

I can understand difficulties in backwards compatibility, but the the way they treat crossgen PS5 games as separate SKUs with separate save data is straight out of PS3-era Sony. It should've just been like the PS4 Pro. Same binary, new features. Smart Delivery sounded like a joke at first but god damn did Sony show it wasn't.

Being unable to go load a PS5 save on a friends PS4, or being unable to move saved without a custom solution from the developer, shows how little they thought about any of this. And the way saves only go in one direction? Why? The way first party games have separate trophy sets is insane. Why do I now have two Spider-Man platinums? Why can't I play the PS5 version of Yakuza with my PS4 save? Why do I have to sift through different console versions in my library?

It wouldn't be this frustrating if consoles were available, but it's a joke at this point. I say this owning a PS5 and really reaching my tipping point. Sony has cooked it and a PS4 would be a good option if they hadn't.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Sony has absolutely butchered this generation. The Series S is on shelves now and it'll probably be the only next-gen console on shelves even in 2023.

But you do understand that there are way more PS5s out there than Series X and S consoles combined?

Series S consoles might be easier to produce than Series X consoles, but the reason there are S consoles on the shelves is that the Series S is less desirable than Series X.

If you replaced all S with X there wouldn't be any Xbox consoles on the shelves, either.

So designing a less desirable console to have something on the shelves just for the sake of it doesn't seem to be a good advice for Sony when they are already producing more consoles.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Sony has absolutely butchered this generation. The Series S is on shelves now and it'll probably be the only next-gen console on shelves even in 2023. Meanwhile Sony is still trying to sell separate versions of their first party games. A game upgrade is $10 to Sony. Why would you leave customers out in the cold like that when the competition is offering Game Pass and free-to-play Halo multiplayer. Why would you continuously stiff your early adopters?

I can understand difficulties in backwards compatibility, but the the way they treat crossgen PS5 games as separate SKUs with separate save data is straight out of PS3-era Sony. It should've just been like the PS4 Pro. Same binary, new features. Smart Delivery sounded like a joke at first but god damn did Sony show it wasn't.

Being unable to go load a PS5 save on a friends PS4, or being unable to move saved without a custom solution from the developer, shows how little they thought about any of this. And the way saves only go in one direction? Why? The way first party games have separate trophy sets is insane. Why do I now have two Spider-Man platinums? Why can't I play the PS5 version of Yakuza with my PS4 save? Why do I have to sift through different console versions in my library?

It wouldn't be this frustrating if consoles were available, but it's a joke at this point. I say this owning a PS5 and really reaching my tipping point. Sony has cooked it and a PS4 would be a good option if they hadn't.
Ah yes, 'Sony shoot themselves in the foot' post.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't out of the ordinary for them:

PSOne ceased production the same year PS3 came out.

PS2 Slim production continued until the year before PS4 came out.

PS3 Super Slim stopped being produced four years into the PS4's lifecycle.

every one of these threads is basically a race to see who can come up with the most non-charitable, negative, hysterical and irrational take on a particular news story or subject.

Pretty much. Sony isn't doing anything different here than in the past.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about market culture (I'm an expert), but price and availability are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with scalpers where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the market, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the buyer public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the PS5, nor will they purchase any of SIE's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye

Oct 30, 2017
But you do understand that there are way more PS5s out there than Series X and S consoles combined?

Series S consoles might be easier to produce than Series X consoles, but the reason there are S consoles on the shelves is that the Series S is less desirable than Series X.

If you replaced all S with X there wouldn't be any Xbox consoles on the shelves, either.

So designing a less desirable console to have something on the shelves just for the sake of it doesn't seem to be a good advice for Sony when they are already producing more consoles.

Sony's PS5 is in record demand and is selling incredible amounts. Not sure how people are going to spin this as a mismanaged operation.
Sony has managed to manufacture and secure more production for their systems that Microsoft.

Sony themselves have discussed why they didn't think a Series S model was a good fit for them. And I'm inclined to agree.
And with a number of developers having gone on the record to state that the S model creates more work and is not as easy to develop for as people might think, it's better they just get as many PS5s out the proper way.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
PS5 drops where pretty frequent before Christmas, my brother in law even managed to snag one at Best Buy in person on the floor. It's going to be tight with HZD and GT7 coming out. Hopefully the scalpers see the end of the gravy train and keep their inventory minimal.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
This isn't really a direct response to PS5 shortages, PlayStations have always had a long lifecycle. Did anyone expect them to end manufacturing of PS4's this year?!

Soulymist

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, This is the worst generation of video games since Atari era.
The PS6 may be coming sooner than we think.

At this point, I don't know who to blame and who can get us out of this situation.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
That's a funny headline. Everyday I'm happy I managed to secure a launch PS5. No issues with it and I use it daily.

As soon as the orders went live on Amazon I was at it on the app but it wasn't going through so I just switch to the desktop version on mobile and managed to secure one. It wasn't the Digital version I originally was going for but I'm OK with the disc version now

score01

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much my thoughts on the thing- unless we are missing something obvious here - if they are producing and selling more that the series s and x combined and as long as it remains this way then its been a great strategy for them.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
DonMattrickgeta360.jpg

On a more serious note, this is good news for PS4 owners without intention of jumping to a PS5, this most likely means that 2023's Sony's first party titles are going to be intergen too, like GoW2, HFW or GT7.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know how much the rest of you know about market culture (I'm an expert), but price and availability are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with scalpers where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the market, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the buyer public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the PS5, nor will they purchase any of SIE's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye
First thing I thought of when I entered this thread lol

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

This is perfect

I wish I could gif react the clapping DiCaprio

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sony has absolutely butchered this generation. The Series S is on shelves now and it'll probably be the only next-gen console on shelves even in 2023.

This is a ridiculous post. Clearly things haven't gone to plan due to the pandemic, but nothing has been butchered and they're doing a decent job under the circumstances.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I'm just surprised the PS4 hasn't received another price cut tbh. There isn't that much difference in price between PS4 and PS5 imo

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand how Sony making more PS4s can be seen as a negative.

they could be doing a lot more to expand their audience. one of the best things about ps2 was that in its later years, it was a lower priced alternative to other offerings at the time. even against the wii. hell, it was cheaper than the ds. with ps4 getting the same first-party games that are hitting ps5, like... why not make your budget back on it too.

sony cultivated this brand image of being the bleeding edge tech guys. so any deviation from that results in harumphs aplenty.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

Every day I'm in awe of how much reactions can just escalate on this forum.
"Sony extending the PS4 life by a million units" = "Sony butchered this generation"
Holy…macaroni.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
the way they introduced mid-gen refreshes three years in last time and the long (not slow) start to their new generation, i'm expecting 2030.

So then, expecting 2nm GAAfet + High-NA EUV transistors, multi layered 3D stacked Chiplets/wafer-on-wafer design. with the latest Zen 7 and RDNA 7 architectures + 128 GB HBM4 + 15-20 GB/s SSD.
HW Rayctracing becomes more a focus. 50-70 TFlops, yadda, yadda ;-)

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (Permanently): Platform Warring; Long History of the Same
Meanwhile, all Xbox 1st party this year are Series exclusive

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're selling more new gen consoles than ever before and producing/selling far fewer previous gen consoles than ever before at this amount of time into a generation.

Era: "holy shit ps4 will live to 2028"