• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
mike got mad at seeing the pigs pooping on their balls pics lol

Imagine thinking someone's fans rightfully getting pissed at shitheads like Bloomberg and people of his ilk are a good enough reason not to support the actual candidate whose movement has the biggest chance of actual progressive societal change in most of our lifetimes. Couldn't be me

but what about civility!!!!

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
will literally never vote for Bloomberg ever in any election, but it is a little funny to see lib media types showing their asses so loud and proud by just pretending anything about this candidate is normal or good

Aug 12, 2019
Damn that's an effective ad, it's making waves already. I'll give Bloomberg this; his online campaign strategy is really good - whatever the cost may be.

Exactly how is this effective in any way? A handful of Bernie supporters are occasionally aggressive or mean in their views, and online communities make dumb memes like the Grim Reaper knocking on campaign doors. And Bernie has denounced those people multiple times, promotes inclusiveness, and all of this has literally nothing to do with Bernie as a candidate.

It's only effective for the most pearl clutching of people who can't separate a candidate from a handful of online supporters.

It's "Bernie's supporters were mean to me once or twice" versus Mr. Stop and Frisk that has a literal book written about his abusive terminology and sayings. What kind of ridiculousness is this?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
As much as I hate Bloomberg - and believe me, I do - I do have to admit that Bernie's fans are almost half the reason I'm not enthusiastic about him. I'm so sick of his fandom already and we're not even halfway through primary season.
I know, man.

Bernie the candidate is pretty solid, although I personally think (and hope to be proved wrong) that his ceiling is Jimmy Carter 2.0. But there's an awful lot -- too much, IMO -- that can be done solely by the Executive alone.

Just, ignore the fans. The same can be said about any candidate, really. But once I stopped worrying about that particular subset of Bernie supporters who are indeed insufferable, I donated to the Sanders campaign.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
It's "Bernie's supporters were mean to me once or twice" versus Mr. Stop and Frisk that has a literal book written about his abusive terminology and sayings. What kind of ridiculousness is this?

typical centrist stuff, treat status-quo threatening progressive politics like the plague because extremely online people posted a couple mean memes while letting fascist oppressors who wear a progressive mask off the hook

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Exactly how is this effective in any way? A handful of Bernie supporters are occasionally aggressive or mean in their views, and online communities make dumb memes like the Grim Reaper knocking on campaign doors. And Bernie has denounced those people multiple times, promotes inclusiveness, and all of this has literally nothing to do with Bernie as a candidate.

It's only effective for the most pearl clutching of people who can't separate a candidate from a handful of online supporters.

Literally every news TV show brings up this issue, it's not something new or out of left field, there's a reason why Bloomberg is focusing on on it - that there's some truth to it, Bernie or bust people exist, and some are incredibly toxic. It's not about being mean once or twice, it's about my way or the highway.

I know Era leans left, I do too, but I'm not oblivious as to what's going on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking someone's fans rightfully getting pissed at shitheads like Bloomberg and people of his ilk are a good enough reason not to support the actual candidate whose movement has the biggest chance of actual progressive societal change in most of our lifetimes. Couldn't be me

Bloomberg is a piece of shit and the only thing he's useful for is pissing off Trump. And he could do that without being in the race.

That doesn't change the fact that I have zero faith in Bernie's ability to execute on anything he talks about, and his fans treating him like a legendary hero and looking down their noses at anyone who isn't on board with him just reminds me, poorly, of the Hillary campaign's snooty attitude toward Bernie supporters last time. This "ONLY MY CANDIDATE" rhetoric is exhausting.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

It's politics though, perception is reality to 95% of people who won't actively seek out this information. I think the perception of his supporters is an actual problem, as evidenced by this ad. It sucks that the election won't be all about policies, but I think stuff like this hurts his chances with the coalition he needs to come out in November. It's not good that a lot of people think so negatively about this aspect of his campaign. He needs to do more to mitigate the perception IMO. I totally get where people are coming from that his policies are what matter, I just worry about the type of voter that won't be keeping up with places like Era to cut through the BS.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BernieBros are like Militant Atheist or ExtremeVegan bad.

Mayor Mike is like religious terrorist bombing stuff and killing innocent people bad.

there are levels.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I hate Bloomberg - and believe me, I do - I do have to admit that Bernie's fans are almost half the reason I'm not enthusiastic about him. I'm so sick of his fandom already and we're not even halfway through primary season.

To sum up this post

- I hate bloomberg
- Bernie fans are 45% the reason I'm not interested/excited/approving in the platform that Bernie is running on
- I'm sick of Bernie fans

Bloomberg is a piece of shit and the only thing he's useful for is pissing off Trump. And he could do that without being in the race.

That doesn't change the fact that I have zero faith in Bernie's ability to execute on anything he talks about, and his fans treating him like a legendary hero and looking down their noses at anyone who isn't on board with him just reminds me, poorly, of the Hillary campaign's snooty attitude toward Bernie supporters last time. This "ONLY MY CANDIDATE" rhetoric is exhausting.

Found the other 55%.

I just feel like this whole bernie bro shit is played way out of proportion.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Why was Spiderz banned for this post?
According to the mod note, he was banned because duration pending.

MP3lUH8.png

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What time in this site's history were people not banned for encouraging harassment? I'm guessing a lot of you don't spend much time on gaming side if it's that much of a surprise to you.

Edit: I mean people get a lot of leeway to say terrible things about candidates who do terrible things, but it's not infinite.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, I'm currently a Warren supporter and if she's out (looking pretty likely at this moment) I am finding it difficult to support Bernie because any slight criticism of his record and tactics online sends a bunch of his rabid fans down your throat calling you a neoliberal sellout. Really rubs me the wrong way even though I'm more ideologically aligned with them compared to the moderates in the party.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The "Bloomberg: Game News about Console X new info blah blah" threads in the Gaming side are even annoying me to see his name.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm currently a Warren supporter and if she's out (looking pretty likely at this moment) I am finding it difficult to support Bernie because any slight criticism of his record and tactics online sends a bunch of his rabid fans down your throat calling you a neoliberal sellout. Really rubs me the wrong way even though I'm more ideologically aligned with them compared to the moderates in the party.

She might get viability in Nevada if one of the many contradicting polls is to be believed.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
What I posted in my mind seems pretty straightforward, but according to your question marks, it is not, and has caused you confusion. However, I cannot address that confusion because your entire post is just question marks, and does not specify nor detail why you are confused.

The poster is probably implying your post is self-contradictory in saying Bernie supporters are both half the reason you aren't enthused with Sanders, but also that the issue of Bernie supporters is overblown.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018

You have trouble casting a vote on a ballot because of annoying people on Twitter?

You don't have to talk to them or read what they're saying. You don't have to endure X amount of hours talking to rabid Bernie supporters to cast a vote. I don't understand this mindset. I found plenty of Hillary fans insufferable but it didn't stop me from voting for her in the general in 2016.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I've seen a few of the tweets that this video references, and a few of them have been edited to make them maybe slightly more aggressive than their full context implies.

On its own that's a little disingenuous, it coming from Bloomberg is just trying to stir shit

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The poster is probably implying your post is self-contradictory in saying Bernie supporters are both half the reason you aren't enthused with Sanders, but also that the issue of Bernie supporters is overblown.

That poster must have misread my post, because it says, and I quote

"to sum up this post"

And above that line, is the post I'm summing up.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sanders has repeatedly chided and repudiated the more aggressive of his supporters. I know it can be a slog to get past them sometimes, but it's really not Bernie's fault some of his stans are shitty. It's incredibly unfair to judge him by their behavior.

Aug 12, 2019
Literally every news TV show brings up this issue, it's not something new or out of left field, there's a reason why Bloomberg is focusing on on it - that there's some truth to it, Bernie or bust people exist, and some are incredibly toxic. It's not about being mean once or twice, it's about my way or the highway.

I know Era leans left, I do too, but I'm not oblivious as to what's going on.

I mean, that would hold more weight if it wasn't just how the media consistently tried to attack Bernie because attacking his policy positions keeps getting them nowhere. The whole situation has been exacerbated by the media pushing the "Bernie Bros" narrative as they have in previous elections. And when people are pissed at the system and the establishments for pushing the entire US closer and closer to a breaking point with Bernie as their only candidate that they have any faith in or trust in, I do think that in of itself is reaching a fairly natural breaking point.

Obviously, I disagree with Bernie supporters that are openly venomous to insane degrees and we as fellow supporters could do more to curtail that, and I think Bernie has personally been shifting that way towards a more "Presidential" image.

But at a certain point, civility for everyone in the face of increasing injustice is not going to hold. When people see Bernie as their only chance for healthcare and literally their livelihood, or take climate change as the true existential problem that it is, I can't really blame them for being of a ride or die mentality, nor do I think anyone else should. That's moving beyond simple policy agreements at that point. I don't deny that some Bernie supporters aren't in good faith in regards to those issues with that same attitude, but still, I think the point stands that some anger has to be inherently accepted in this type of election cycle.

Don't you think that's being a little defeatist about his abilities to change things? A populist candidate winning tends to mean that their populace base comes out to support their policies and ideas beyond just an election and if anything, a competent cabinet moving in the right direction with the powers of the President behind him is still able to achieve a lot.

And again, some of the "only my candidate" is born out of genuine fear and frustration with everyone else and a need for some degree of re-establishing sanity if people leaning on the left and against corporate interests. If Bernie is the only person who has earned your trust and support through genuine records and appeals, I'm just not willing to fault those people because there is a massive part of the electorate that is so tuned out and broken in regards to working with our institutions. If your a voice who has been silenced time and time again, and you find only the one candidate who speaks to them, I think there's more legitimacy in the "only my candidate" stance than just Bernie Bros getting angry their candidate didn't get the nomination and being spiteful about it.

I feel like those types of people get lumped in, and that's unfortunate for a whole host of different reasons.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Honestly I too would love a candidate who has the best climate plan that would put us on track for actually saving the world but I second guess that because a few people on twitter said some mean things once.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm personally still wondering where this is actually happening, and to a degree that we are classifying an entire group of people as rabid fans. Just about every article I've seen on the subject has been debunked. It's either taken out of context, or in this case - Tweets literally being doctored.

May 30, 2018
What time in this site's history were people not banned for encouraging harassment? I'm guessing a lot of you don't spend much time on gaming side if it's that much of a surprise to you.

Edit: I mean people get a lot of leeway to say terrible things about candidates who do terrible things, but it's not infinite.

Like I said, Bloomberg destroyed plenty of lives. Wishing him poorly can't even compare

Free Spiderz

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess would be that they deemed it advocating for harassment.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic in referring to mean tweets as "harassment" but hey I'm not a mod.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
If you agree with Bernie's positions and policies but don't want to vote for him because of mean trolls online, I really don't know what to tell you on that one. Do you think the Bernie Bros will achieve critical mass and gain political power in this country or something if Bernie wins?

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you're belief in that ideology isn't strong enough to ignore people online then you were never an ally to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.