• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about this.

Also not sure about Xbox VP and Rod Ferg overseeing Diablo 4. Blizzard is in such a shit spot for me sadly as a fan previously.

The Xbox VP (Ybarra) is mostly a PC guy, and Rod is someone you bring on to help make sure the project gets finished. Also, if you looked at how well the PC versions of Gears 4 and 5 were done you wouldn't be asking this.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Blizzard died to me with the Activision sale, but it's mind-boggling that they'd fuck up a War3 remake.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good breakdown of what exactly was wrong with the WC3 Remake? I'm really out of touch with happened.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
OMGGGGG DIABLO 2 REMAKE YES. I mean kinda sad one got cancelled and they are giving it to another team but i have faith in it. It will be so long tho ughhh.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Is there a good breakdown of what exactly was wrong with the WC3 Remake? I'm really out of touch with happened.

I had a brief outline as to the many downgrades revealed at Blizzcon 2019 that you can read here:

www.resetera.com

WarCraft III: Reforged is looking a lot like WarCraft III: Remastered (confirmed no story changes, no Reforged cutscenes)

My first thought upon digging into the development updates on this game was that Activision probably slashed their budget. There's been a lot of disappointing news that emerged about this game. Starting off with the controversial retcon plans they had...

Long story short, budget cuts.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
so they announced the 2019 release date for reforged without telling the people making the game

just lol

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm sorry but I would absolutely without question take a THPS 3+4 title over a Diablo 2 Remake no matter what. So all of this plus the shut down of Team 1 is just angering me so damn much.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Why would they remake Diablo 2 when Diablo 4's entire thing is recapturing Diablo 2...

Not sure I understand this question... Even if they intend D4 to recapture the same essence of the earlier diablos, they wont be the same game, lol. That's kind of like saying why release WoW:Classic when Shadowlands also recaptures many of the games older feelings/essence.

Honestly with how successful Classic WoW has been, I expect them to lean hard on the remakes/re-releases.

Assuming its decent Ill definitely play D2 lol.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
VV is located near my city, and I know a few people who work there. I keep holding out hope that they'll get the chance to work on an original IP someday, but apparently today is not that day.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
This is actually fantastic news. Diablo 2 REMAKE rather than a remaster and by such a great developer like VV over the team that shat out WC3 reforged? Huge.
Poor boy...

This won't end well. Upper management will demand the game to be released fast, it will be a mess, devs will be under a lot of stress and start leaving. VV follows Team 1 fate.

PS: So we can also say that one is working on Reforged. The abandoned the mess they created.

Fuck them really.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
The current state of Blizzard really bums me out. WC3R was a complete abdication of their old philosophy; a cheap cash-in product, pushed out the door before it was ready. I skipped the WOW expansion and don't even play Hearthstone anymore. Crazy how I used to be a Blizzard superfan and now barely even care what they're working on.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Morale at Blizzard must have sunken into the ground by now. There is seemingly nothing left that once defined them as a developer studio. Just a collection of brands to exploit.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I absolutely do not understand why the heads of game companies nowadays think that it's a great idea to decouple the 'Management' from the 'Development' (same thing happened with Cyberpunk...) - It's diametrically opposed to how Blizzard used to work. It used to be all about shipping a quality product with the long-term thinking that if they make the best shit out there, it'll create a community and the products will continue to sell, willingly sacrificing the short-term financial opportunities for long-term health of their products. That strategy made them one of the most trusted devs out there. Now that's all gone to the dodo... And even internally, I can't fathom how the devs feel about Team 1 just being quietly assassinated. If that can happen to them, it can happen to everybody. Does anybody in their management even think about people wanting to feel like they have any kind of job security?

I used to work at Blizzard and used to be proud of being a Blizzard employee. I don't think that kinda thinking exists today at that place anymore. It used to be all about passion and quality and trying to create the most epic shit out there. You can't uphold values like that if the reality looks like this.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I have little faith in Acti management. Let's see how will Blizz end up looking in a decade.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
With the dismantling of team 1 Blizzard is kinda dead to me. I think it's fair to say they've abandoned the strategy genre. Warcraft 3 reforged was an insult to fans and their own legacy. Hope every dev who loves making strategy games moves away from Blizz asap.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
D4 must not even be close to releasing in beta.
I mean, they did ominously say that Diablo IV "isn't coming soon; not even 'Blizzard soon'," so it's going to be a VERY long time before that one hits.

Hopefully the D2 remaster is a worthy stopgap release, at least. Vicarious Visions should do well if Blizzard lets them do their thing.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Are they gonna have them retroactively wipe offline single-player in D2 as well?

Fuck ActiBlizz.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The Xbox VP (Ybarra) is mostly a PC guy, and Rod is someone you bring on to help make sure the project gets finished. Also, if you looked at how well the PC versions of Gears 4 and 5 were done you wouldn't be asking this.

Actually I still would. I am not concerned about their game's performance on PC. I was mostly concerned with consoles taking over PC preference for D4 as an ARPG with console leads overseeing the project. Now the game is far away but I'd rather not hype myself up with those 2.

Jun 19, 2020
hopefully this project doesn't hurt old diablo 2 like what happened with warcraft 3
The leak says remake and not remaster so: I think its highly likely that the remake will be in 3d which means incompatible with the old D2. So it would be its separate thing. One of the old Diablo 2 devs did an interview some time ago saying that translating the mechanics from 2D to 3D would be difficult because they cant just take the old approch and be done with it. And they run the old Diablo 1 / 2 servers since its release but I dont know if they will continue them with the current leadership.

The Activision news from this week indicates that they will announce more remakes / remasters this year so D2 Remake could be the showrunner of this years Blizzcon Online which is in 2 weeks.

I think the original plan was to unveil it at last years Blizzcon but it was so packed with games that they pushed the announcement back for this years Blizzcon.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
A current day Acti-Blizz remake of Diablo 2 seems like a disaster waiting to happen. The way modern Blizzard does loot end games is terrible. Their storytelling for WoW, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 has been overall pretty laughable (the Overwatch shorts were cool.) I would have been much more content with a Starcraft 1 style remaster of Diablo 2 over this.

If it was just Activision I'd probably have a bit more hope for the project (their solo remaster/remakes have been great generally) but now that Blizzard is involved... Man I just hope it's not horrendous.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda shocked at how many people are so willing to toss Team 1 under the bus and be happy that VV are taking over.

Team 1 has put out some of the most beloved and played games of all time, and if they got destroyed by unrealistic time frames it's very likely VV would be as well.

Sad the team got done this dirty.

Jun 19, 2020
A current day Acti-Blizz remake of Diablo 2 seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
I think we can trust Vicarious Visions after Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2.

Kinda shocked at how many people are so willing to toss Team 1 under the bus and be happy that VV are taking over.

Team 1 has put out some of the most beloved and played games of all time, and if they got destroyed by unrealistic time frames it's very likely VV would be as well.

Some of them are now at Mike Morhaimes new company Dreamhaven.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

Yeah it's such a big deal that Team 1 is killed off, it practically shows how they want to kill the RTS genre.

This is like Lucasarts or Westwood shutting down, it's surprising to see so little talk or reaction to what this move show.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's such a big deal that Team 1 is killed off, it practically shows how they want to kill the RTS genre.

This is like Lucasarts or Westwood shutting down, it's surprising to see so little talk or reaction to what this move show.
It would probably matter more if they didn't already formally wind down the work on SC2 last year. Blizzard restructuring isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean they don't care for RTS and that's it for the genre. This is the same kind of talk that was happening before SC2 was announced.